Plasmamen at Roundstart (MERGED!)

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Re: Plasmamen at Roundstart (MERGED!)

Post by Zilenan91 » #133693

Bottom post of the previous page:

Yeah they were enabled as a choosable race before plasmamen got disabled. I didn't know if they were a debug thing or what.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #133696

Nah, 100% usable, they just have a different sprite is all.
私は完璧
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #133700

Dunno if this was mentioned earlier but, while the Plasmaman helmet is pressure-proof, it isn't temperature-proof so you're slowly freezing to death if you don't put on a proper hardsuit helmet, and if you forget to switch back before heading inside you start burning instantly. It forces you to do a helmet juggle which you will always recieve a slight amount of pressure-brute damage from. Kinda annoying tbh fam

EDIT: And you also can't appear to eat with the helmet on
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #133701

Plasmamen dont need to eat, so..
私は完璧
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #133702

So are any coders working on making plasmamen be a different config than lizards are?
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #133707

Remie Richards wrote:Plasmamen dont need to eat, so..
Well I'm still getting the slowdown and the hunger bar indicator flashing at me fam, dunno what to tell you from that
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays
Byond Username: DrPillzRedux

Post by DrPillzRedux » #133710

Zilenan91 wrote:So are any coders working on making plasmamen be a different config than lizards are?
You didn't seriously believe this, right?
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty
bandit wrote:what is this

a correct post by pillz
Sweaterkittens
Byond Username: SweaterKittens

Post by Sweaterkittens » #133711

Anonmare wrote:Dunno if this was mentioned earlier but, while the Plasmaman helmet is pressure-proof, it isn't temperature-proof so you're slowly freezing to death if you don't put on a proper hardsuit helmet, and if you forget to switch back before heading inside you start burning instantly. It forces you to do a helmet juggle which you will always recieve a slight amount of pressure-brute damage from. Kinda annoying tbh fam

EDIT: And you also can't appear to eat with the helmet on
The helmet not being spaceworthy is an issue that is being fixed. You shouldn't have to juggle helmets when they're re-enabled. Also, regarding the food issue, I've passed that one to As334, but you shouldn't need to eat so I'm not sure why you got a hunger indicator. I'll have him look into that.
Zilenan91 wrote:So are any coders working on making plasmamen be a different config than lizards are?
Yes, that is one of the things that will be implemented with the upcoming hotfix. It was initially left out because we were supposed to have the option to disable one or the other, but didn't seem to work properly. I'm not familiar with the code myself so I'm just passing on what I've been told. They will be made their own config in the future so lizards won't have be turned off!
ImageImage
Spoiler:
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #133737

So after playing a few rounds I think I can say that I like them as a challenge race, makes Lizards look like babby mode in comparison. That thing about them taking off their suit and being a walking fir hazard? That's a really minor benefit considering you have an equipment slot permenantly occupied by an airtank and need to make regular stops, usually about over an hour on the standard tank with the standard settings, to Atmospherics/Engineering/Science for a refill.
Disguising is pretty much impossible except for as another Plasmaperson, since taking off the helmet covering your head, even with another hardsuit, will still make you catch fire immediately (dunno if that's intended or a bug) and also means no head protection from armour.
They do provide some interesting mechanics that you wouldn't really have with the other races, constantly having to worry about the atmosphere and knowing that dying means little chance for revival outside of people putting the effort in just for you does re-capture some of that old style SS13 lethality. I also like their version of the Syndicate Uplink, a bit more subtle and an officer might forget to remove it or not think twice about it when processing them as a prisoner

Though I think it would mostly be used regularly by players who enjoy having a bit of a challenge to their rounds which would probably maintain the Human-centric station (and it should to be honest).
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #133738

The thing about the plasma tank is that it's default 101kPa (which is the standard pressure for air), but since it's pure plasma, you only need 16kPa (the minimum pressure for oxygen). Set it to 16 and it lasts much longer.

What do they get as a syndicate uplink? A headset?
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #133739

Yeah it's a headset that needs to be tuned to a specific frequency to unlock the Syndi menu. Though I think CERTAIN players will try to game the system by capturing Tratior Plasmamen and stealing their headset and cycling through every frequency until the menu unlocks.
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #133781

Anyone who doesn't have a pda when they're made a traitor will get the headset version. So if you ever want it, just drop your pda before you get the message.

Incidentally if you don't have a pda OR a headset, you're screwed out of your points.
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
newfren
Byond Username: Newfren

Post by newfren » #133786

Incoming wrote:Anyone who doesn't have a pda when they're made a traitor will get the headset version. So if you ever want it, just drop your pda before you get the message.

Incidentally if you don't have a pda OR a headset, you're screwed out of your points.
I... believe there's also something in game preferences to force it into your headset? That might have just been some outdated information I read on the wiki a while back though.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #133787

newfren wrote:
Incoming wrote:Anyone who doesn't have a pda when they're made a traitor will get the headset version. So if you ever want it, just drop your pda before you get the message.

I... believe there's also something in game preferences to force it into your headset? That might have just been some outdated information I read on the wiki a while back though.
don't believe so, but i can confirm the headset trick works. ive done it before and it's so nice having a hands free uplink
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
newfren

Post by newfren » #133790

PKPenguin321 wrote:
newfren wrote:

don't believe so, but i can confirm the headset trick works. ive done it before and it's so nice having a hands free uplink
You can also use your PDA uplink from the ID slot by opening your pda window then transferring it into the slot. Means you don't have to be standing there with your PDA out when you order things, and you can keep the window open and in like... the top right of your screen so you can quickly order a revolver or whatever if you need one.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #133793

newfren wrote:You can also use your PDA uplink from the ID slot by opening your pda window then transferring it into the slot. Means you don't have to be standing there with your PDA out when you order things, and you can keep the window open and in like... the top right of your screen so you can quickly order a revolver or whatever if you need one.
You don't even have to do that, just click and drag the PDA icon from your ID slot or belt or wherever you keep it onto your character.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
NoahGoldFox
Byond Username: NoahGoldFox

Post by NoahGoldFox » #133800

This is what im waiting for to. :/ humans are boring
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #133801

Incoming has a pr up re-enabling Lizards.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #133849

i wanna make a plasmaman character
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #133852

Plasmamen do seem cool.

I still think they should be named something more original than Plasmaman. Since I think the whole backstory of them being former Humans to be autistic even by SS13 standards.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #133858

Necroplasmids
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #133887

I appear to have devloped appendicitis, though my race was Skinbone at time of writing. A problem since there's no way for a surgeon to really correct that and the vomiting makes you drop the things your carrying/decrease your hunger (With all the problems that brings) and when you run out of hunger you start collapsing which is *really* annoying.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #133890

Can we just remove appendicitus instead of making plasmamen immune to it
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

as334
Byond Username: As334
Github Username: as334

Post by as334 » #133892

Huh, I figured the no virus thing would prevent Appendicitis. I can do that one pretty easy. Also in regards to food, as far as I understand it, you won't take the passive nutrition loss, but things that make you lose nutrition will still decrease it. Anyways, you can always just eat in a plasma filled room, same with surgery.
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #133995

Is there a threshold for the amount of oxygen needed in the atmosphere to catch fire? AFAIK even if you fill a room with plasma and scrub out the oxygen, you still catch fire as long as there's a small oxygen residue
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #133996

As long as there's even a single oxygen atom, you will catch on fire.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #133997

There should be some oxygen tolerance for Plasmamen.

Our own air has traces of a wide range of gases, such as Carbon Dioxide.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #133999

Steelpoint wrote:There should be some oxygen tolerance for Plasmamen.

Our own air has traces of a wide range of gases, such as Carbon Dioxide.
Nope. Even tiny amounts of oxygen should drain your health quickly. I like the idea of Plasmamen setting up emergency plasma shelters throughout the station.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #134001

What I'm saying is that the air should be able to hold a minute amount of oxygen so that you don't have to go to the extreme end of venting absolutely everything.

We have less than 1% of Co2 and other in the air we breath, so I'm just saying that a small amount of O2 should not set them on fire when in a near pure plasma environment.
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #134034

Steelpoint wrote:What I'm saying is that the air should be able to hold a minute amount of oxygen so that you don't have to go to the extreme end of venting absolutely everything.

We have less than 1% of Co2 and other in the air we breath, so I'm just saying that a small amount of O2 should not set them on fire when in a near pure plasma environment.
CO2 is not combustible, it's what you get when you burn carbon
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
NoahGoldFox
Byond Username: NoahGoldFox

Post by NoahGoldFox » #134134

It still isent fixed yet? :/
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #134195

Cheridan just merged the fix. When is it being added to the server?
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #134210

based cherry dan
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #134377

PLASMAMEN PLASMAWHEN?
Zellion
Byond Username: Zellion

Post by Zellion » #134379

lizards added but not plasmamen riot in the streets
PLASMAMEN WHEN GAS THE LIZARDS
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #134412

How's progress on fixing Plasmamen?
Sweaterkittens
Byond Username: SweaterKittens

Post by Sweaterkittens » #134970

Hello all!

I'm sorry for the lack of updates and general silence lately, I've been bogged down with work and have not had a chance to line everything up in order to give you guys a thorough update. Since everything that needs balancing or fixing has been flagged, I'm mostly just hanging back and letting my coder do his thing, and I haven't been entirely on the ball with keeping tabs on where he's at in the process. BUT I can see that you guys are eager to play Plasmamen, and I'm really excited to see so much support!

I believe the first fix solved a portion of the issues, but the "final" fix that will allow them to be enabled again is still receiving a tweak. Aside from one issue regarding Shadowling interaction, the fix is ready to be merged! I know I said that they'd be live again nearly a week ago, but you'll have to forgive me as I am not doing the code myself, and I apologize for misleading anyone. I expect that unless any other major bugs present themselves, they'll be back up and playable tomorrow, or at the latest this weekend. Once again, I'm really grateful for all the support, and I'm really stoked to see so many people excited to play them again. Big shout out to WJohnston for making the sprites, Fridge for his extinguisher canister sprite, and As334 for putting in all the effort to code this and work out the kinks!
ImageImage
Spoiler:
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #135042

great work!!!!!!!!
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #135598

Any day now?
Danowar
Byond Username: Danowar

Post by Danowar » #138349

So, why are Plamamen immune to flashes? I did not know this til today, and this ended up costing me the round when I tried to rev a plasmaman miner when he had no visible eye protection on.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #138353

If he had his hardsuit helmet up he's immune to flashes afaik.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Danowar

Post by Danowar » #138354

I know helmets have flash-resistance but I mean like, he didn't have the hardsuit helmet on. OOC was saying that the default suits plasmamen start with have flash resistance. Is this because Plasmamen cannot wear eye-protection or something with their suit set ups? There's got to be a better workaround than that.
Zellion

Post by Zellion » #138365

Did he have sunglasses on or something? You can wear eye stuff as plasmaman but they don't show up on your sprite.
Danowar

Post by Danowar » #138366

That might have been it then. That mistake got me a pickaxe promptly in my face. Guess I'll just avoid them the next time I'm a rev head.
newfren

Post by newfren » #138372

Danowar wrote:That might have been it then. That mistake got me a pickaxe promptly in my face. Guess I'll just avoid them the next time I'm a rev head.
I think shift clicking might work to check?
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #138398

i hope soon, they fix the helmets and nutritiono
Zellion

Post by Zellion » #138672

newfren wrote:
Danowar wrote:That might have been it then. That mistake got me a pickaxe promptly in my face. Guess I'll just avoid them the next time I'm a rev head.
I think shift clicking might work to check?
Plasmamen helmets cover their head completely even though they look like a naked skull, sunglasses would be hidden. Fun thing, I spaced myself as plasmam, the cold of space kept my flames out so I got to see my naked purple skeleton, and after taking my helm off I grew a pair of sunglasses.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #138778

When are these getting re-added?