Capsandi
Byond Username: Capsandi

TG 2019

Post by Capsandi » #728884

Making this in general so everyone can post and it wont get locked
Post observations from the TG2019 codebase
Thank you Riggle, very cool!
Timonk wrote:
Wesoda25 wrote:Genuinely think they should be blacklisted.
You have clearly never seen his dick
Lower your tone with me if your tracked play time doesn't look like this:
Flatulent wrote:of course you can change religion doing it while islamic however makes you lose your head from happiness
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Re: TG 2019

Post by PKPenguin321 » #728894

trying it now
lobby screen UI not being baked into the screen itself >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> i love seeing the whole lobby image
old alt click is better
old hardsuits are better
SM still sucks, what a letdown when i went to engineering and remembered that this is too late for singulo
my control scheme works which is cool (hotkeys update permanently broke the command line by making it randomly lose focus and also broke binding stuff to Ctrl+[key])
being able to get all access on one ID is better
PDA as default indeed > tablets if only for the theming being better
new wiring is better than old FOR SURE
hovering text and text to speech are sorely missed
im a fan of the smaller square aspect ratio, vision range does have a gameplay impact, i dont care if the text box takes up half my monitor
somehow it feels more responsive in some ways despite the lower FPS? might be movement speed? may be related to how some things like progress bars pop into existence instantly with no fade in animation
i actually kind of like messages not combining now that i go back to it, like if i hit a guy 12 times it puts 12 different lines of text in my chatbox. makes it more obvious that it's happening if that makes sense
old boxstation is pretty good! we ran old box a couple weeks ago but it was on the newest codebase so the map was missing a lot of stuff, but old box on this version is feature complete so there are no such issues. the map is fun
newer player joined and did not understand how to move because they did not realize that tab toggled hotkey mode. they could not move without wasd. lol
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Capsandi

Post by Capsandi » #728910

- Coin press on lavaland. Unloader and furnace still have their new sprites, which is interesting
- Hazardous atmospheres are slower to spread room to room, which prevents firelock hell and plays better imo
- Theres much more blood, so when someone is bleeding out(which isnt much of a problem) the station looks like hell
- Being able to fill medibots with poisons really helps make the not instantly lethal chems viable.
- Old windows makes getting into and out of somewhere your not supposed to be much harder, i think theres a degree of difference in mapping philosophy at play aswell
- EZ AA for everyone did suck but the ui for adding access is much easier to understand. I wonder if we should try a simple "Each ID tier gets a certain amount of points to distribute across accesses which all have their own cost"
- Old Rads sucked but I do like the idea of an ailment which will kill your doctor if you bother medbay about it while they're busy.
- TGUI is so much better than the old system
- Antags are much more lethal. I got hit with an armblade and all of my organs dropped on the floor. Then the medical doctor tried defibbing my heartless body for a few moments before everyone remembered cloning existing.
Timonk wrote:
Flatulent wrote:of course you can change religion doing it while islamic however makes you lose your head from happiness
Capsandi

Post by Capsandi » #728912

Also, after playing a round on newcode, there arent a thousand announcements every minute for every insignificant midround event in 2019 code
Case in point; I began writing the above post during said round, while 3 command reports and a shuttle dock rang in my ears.
Timonk wrote:
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #728918

Capsandi wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 3:56 pm - Coin press on lavaland. Unloader and furnace still have their new sprites, which is interesting
- Hazardous atmospheres are slower to spread room to room, which prevents firelock hell and plays better imo
- Theres much more blood, so when someone is bleeding out(which isnt much of a problem) the station looks like hell
- Being able to fill medibots with poisons really helps make the not instantly lethal chems viable.
- Old windows makes getting into and out of somewhere your not supposed to be much harder, i think theres a degree of difference in mapping philosophy at play aswell
- EZ AA for everyone did suck but the ui for adding access is much easier to understand. I wonder if we should try a simple "Each ID tier gets a certain amount of points to distribute across accesses which all have their own cost"
- Old Rads sucked but I do like the idea of an ailment which will kill your doctor if you bother medbay about it while they're busy.
- TGUI is so much better than the old system
- Antags are much more lethal. I got hit with an armblade and all of my organs dropped on the floor. Then the medical doctor tried defibbing my heartless body for a few moments before everyone remembered cloning existing.
You can't sabotage medibots anymore?
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Capsandi

Post by Capsandi » #728919

Nah, now they are 100% safe brute healing from just outside crit to 100% healthy, its even worse when they are built by robotics so that they can heal any damage type. Even when emagged, they deal obvious brute damage and even spout conspicuous voice lines.
Timonk wrote:
JusticeGoat
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: JusticeGoat

Post by JusticeGoat » #728924

I remember hating how all the admin tools got merged into one tab but now i can't see myself wanting to go back to that style with a bunch of separate verb tabs. I'm happy to have some time to poke around and try out what used to be the norm though.
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dendydoom

Post by dendydoom » #728937

Capsandi wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 9:07 pm Nah, now they are 100% safe brute healing from just outside crit to 100% healthy, its even worse when they are built by robotics so that they can heal any damage type. Even when emagged, they deal obvious brute damage and even spout conspicuous voice lines.
yeah emagging medibots is nowhere near as good anymore. people have learned to just always be on the lookout for them too. the last time i emagged a medibot IN medbay amongst like 4 other normal medibots it was found and destroyed before it had even properly injected the first person.
MrStonedOne wrote:I always read dendy's walls of text
NSFW:
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dendydoom

Post by dendydoom » #728938

the main thing i miss is all the references being COOL stuff that i liked in 2008 and not all this stupid ZOOMER SHIT >:(
MrStonedOne wrote:I always read dendy's walls of text
NSFW:
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #728947

This is what tg was like 2019 years ago. Feeling old yet?
mrmelbert
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Mr Melbert

Post by mrmelbert » #728956

- Old rads are atrocious

I had an atmos tech come in bald and I immediately had flashbacks.
Poor guy was stuck under a shower for literally 20 minutes because we had no upgraded sleepers to spam pent acid injections.
I remember all the old methods of fast rad cleaning but I didn't have the time to set them up.

Such a horrible, horrible mechanic. I do still think we over-corrected slightly but yeah, never again.

- Old medbay gameplay was atrocious

There really was absolutely zero gameplay to being a med doc.

Corpse -> shove them in the cloning scanner.
Not a corpse -> shove them in the sleeper, press a few buttons, and send them away.

Of course, there was a lot of tiny niche things you could be doing to optimize your time, but why would you ever go out of your way to do that when an upgraded sleeper exists?

- Shotguns were atrocious

As funny as it was watching someone two-shot a fully geared clock cultist, yeah it's probably better for everyone those are gone

- Nanites were atrocious

I don't need to go into detail about that

- I miss a lot of the QoL updates over the years

At least this was post diagonal movement. Can you believe the Bay-sphere still don't have diag movement? God.

- So, so much more bloody.

I'm not even sure when this changed but the station / medbay gets so so much more blood-coated.
(In fact I would wager this largely changed by mistake as sprites / bleeding code changed over the years.)
I think I prefer the more blood, it makes for much more exciting scenes.

- The AA plague was atrocious

Something I think we definitely over-corrected on but letting absolutely everyone get AA is a plague

- Laggier

- Instant bruise pack / ointment applying on other players

Who even thought of this lol, I was running around slapping officers while actively fighting people

- Game was more soulful

One benefit to there being so many fewer mechanics is that there you generally just had to focus on the game more. Made for a more...focused? Experience.
Admin: December 2020 - Present
Code Maintainer: December 2021 - Present
Head Admin: Feburary 2022 - September 2022
Youtube Guy: sometimes

mrmelbert
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Mr Melbert

Post by mrmelbert » #728957

Capsandi wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 9:07 pm Nah, now they are 100% safe brute healing from just outside crit to 100% healthy, its even worse when they are built by robotics so that they can heal any damage type. Even when emagged, they deal obvious brute damage and even spout conspicuous voice lines.
Not if they're emagged, which inject chloral while healing.
Though they ignore health thresholds which make them stick out like a sore thumb.
Admin: December 2020 - Present
Code Maintainer: December 2021 - Present
Head Admin: Feburary 2022 - September 2022
Youtube Guy: sometimes

NewtypeWoman
Byond Username: NewtypeWoman

Post by NewtypeWoman » #728964

We should make it bloodier, imo. one of the things i love about goon is their huge ass pools of blood, even if the sprites aren't that good.
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #728967

Yeah I don't like goon's blood smoothing but I do like when there is blood absolutely everywhere
TheSmallBlue
Byond Username: SmallBlue

Post by TheSmallBlue » #728983

God I never realized just how much I missed nanites. Don't get me wrong they're ass but I loved what they allowed you to do and I miss them greatly
When human I go by Bluti Kabooti, when AI I go by Azure
Comm from
vect0r
Byond Username: Vect0r

Post by vect0r » #728984

TheSmallBlue wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 7:35 pm God I never realized just how much I missed nanites. Don't get me wrong they're ass but I loved what they allowed you to do and I miss them greatly
Yeah it's really cool. I wasn't around for it but it's cool to see what you can do with them
VENDETTA+Cecilia Vujic
iwishforducks
Byond Username: Iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #728989

i miss nanites but i dont think i’d want them back
im gay (and also play the moth “bugger”)
PapaMichael
Byond Username: PapaMichael

Post by PapaMichael » #728991

is the player count on the site wrong or is it dead
Like my admining? Feedback here!
stairmaster
Byond Username: Stairmaster

Post by stairmaster » #729218

when they brought back box station for that one event i couldnt help but notice how everything was so much better
joooks
Byond Username: Joooks

Post by joooks » #729233

mrmelbert wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 7:20 pm - Old rads are atrocious

I had an atmos tech come in bald and I immediately had flashbacks.
Poor guy was stuck under a shower for literally 20 minutes because we had no upgraded sleepers to spam pent acid injections.
I remember all the old methods of fast rad cleaning but I didn't have the time to set them up.
sounds like u forgot rads and rad contamination are not the same thing
former tgmc admin and tgstation trial admin
who is this guy lol i think hes in timonks signature :lol: :lol: