Botcall for TG! [MERGED!]

How, what and why to code in BYOND.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Botcall for TG! [MERGED!]

Post by Gun Hog » #25494

PR found here: https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/4974

This OP is out of date, check the PR for latest changes please.

"Botcall" is my nickname for an expansion of the bots (Beepsky, Medibots, etc) often seen around the station. It is the largest project I have ever done for SS13, and was met with unanimous support on NT station where it was merged and is now operational. The original forum post advertising it is here: http://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=418

I have always had intent to place this on /tg/ where it could be enjoyed by more, but over time /tg/ and NT code continued to diverge, making a direct port nigh impossible. I have begun the tedious task of line-by-line editing of each file touched by Botcall to cut down on potential problems. It is an investment I am willing to make, even with /tg/'s stricter quality control guidelines.

Here are some highlights of Botcall that players may find interesting:
Bots in general:
- All bots can now be summoned via PDA. Medical types get Medibots, Engineering gets Floorbots, and the Janitor gets Cleanbots.
* Bots, when summoned by PDA, will attempt to download additional access from the ID inside the PDA in order to reach the user. The Captain can call Beepsky to his office!
- The AI gains a control panel to monitor and move about all of the bots, as the AI player views the station as a whole, where crew and cyborgs are confined to their own local area.
* Bots called by the AI always receive all-access during a call by the AI, so it does not have to open airlocks beforehand.
* A bot can be configured to deny the AI remote (from the panel, not the cameras) access if you are worried it is rogue or you are an antagonist yourself. This happens automatically if the bot is manually emagged.
- Every bot now uses the nicer dark UI that Ikarrus gave Securitrons.
- Several long standing bugs and issues with bots have been addressed.
- Roboticists given access to cleanbots, floorbots, and medibots. (Sorry, no security bots. No MULEs either since they do not make those!)
- Roboticists also gain access to beacons in the rare case one of them gets good enough to actually bother with them.
- Bots that can patrol will now give up and go idle if they cannot reach a beacon (for performance reasons).

Floorbots:
- Changed floorbot logic slightly such that they can ignore breaches they cannot actually reach.
- "Replace Tiles" function which places tiles on floors that are missing them.
- They can now be configured to repair damaged tiles. (Do not turn this on while an area is on fire!)
- Bridge mode returned and updated!
- Can now patrol and be summoned by engineering staff.
- New! Can report on Engineering radio when they are empty.
- New! Can now be configured to build hull platings without a tile (for repairing wires and pipes)

Cleanbots:
- Like floorbots, cleanbots can ignore stains they cannot actually reach.
- Can patrol and be summoned by the Janitor.

Medibots:
- Can patrol and be summoned by most medical staff.
- Has a "Stationary Mode" where the Medibot will only heal adjacent patients and will not chase or patrol. (Will display a yellow light instead of green)
- Can be configured to ignore viral infections!
- Critical Patient Alert feature, which notify Medical HUD users the medical channel that the bot has found someone in critical health!

Securitrons:
- New! Now report arrests to the Security channel rather than SecHUDs

ED-209:
- Can now by summoned in the same manner as Securitrons.
- New! Will also report arrests on the Security channel

MULE:
- Can be given custom destinations by the AI and will play a chime for them upon arrival!
- The destination interface will give a list of beacons it can reach as the PDA does, users are no longer required to type them in manually.
- New! will notify on the Supply channel when they load or drop a crate. They notify on AI Private when controlled by the AI.

I will dedicate as much time and effort needed to bring this up to /tg/'s quality standards, and continue to maintain the feature if merged.
Last edited by Gun Hog on Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:06 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Re: Botcall for TG!

Post by Stickymayhem » #25517

I literally gasped when I saw this thread.

Please God let this happen.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #25521

:+1:
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #25525

Just, awesome.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #27399

Summoning an ED 209 alone is amazing I love the sound of this. Does coding changes include removing their inability to arrest those with security IDs?

Does the medibot get patrol mode too?
Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #27484

Incomptinence wrote:Summoning an ED 209 alone is amazing I love the sound of this. Does coding changes include removing their inability to arrest those with security IDs?

Does the medibot get patrol mode too?
The "Corrupt cops don't exist Beep Boop" portion of the threat code was removed by Ikarrus. ED-209 can arrest anyone with a warrant now. Note that you are less likely to get arrested if you have a loyalty implant, though.

Medibots along with floorbots will gain a patrol mode, yes.
Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #27858

You may view my "progress" here: https://github.com/GunHog/-tg-station/tree/Botcall_8_25
This is not the final or refined product, it is simply my github backup for dealing with conflicts and working with other projects.
Gun Hog

Re: Botcall for TG! [PULL REQUEST ACTIVE!]

Post by Gun Hog » #30963

Phalanx300
Byond Username: Phalanx300

Post by Phalanx300 » #32242

I remember reading this for the other server, thinking it was for the main one. Good to see you put the effort to bring it to the mainserver!
damiac
Rarely plays

Post by damiac » #34855

Do it please. Someone pull it!
Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #34894

It is not done yet! I was asked to improve the awful movement code, which is proving to be a monster, so it cannot be merged until I finish that.
Phalanx300
Byond Username: Phalanx300

Post by Phalanx300 » #38416

Any update on this? Would be a shame if this doesn't get added.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #38417

Looking at the PR it seems its ready to merge. Last update was two days ago.
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Re: Botcall for TG! [MERGED!]

Post by Cik » #46406

i haven't used this a ton i admit but the functionality is very fucking cool. you are a good person.
Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #46441

Thank you! :D Seeing that people enjoy the feature makes it all worth it!
deathhoof

Post by deathhoof » #46809

This is pretty robust on the ai sat. Pingsky is like a remote controlled terminator.
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #46872

yeah, ED-209s and beepsky are pretty helpful for stopping those fucking abortions i mean, preventing human harm.

other ways to KILL ALL HUMANS help humans: rally station army of medibots to help fight blob, move MULEs around, command station army of cleanbots when bored.
Random Players
Byond Username: Random Players

Post by Random Players » #46884

Indeed. I personally encourage people to AT LEAST put on Second Stage suit sensors, so they'll show up on the medical overlay. And then direct medibot(s).
And of course, being chased by Beepsky is a effective counter against Esworders.