this will be tgstation in 2019

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
AnonymousForumUser
Byond Username: Noahyoshi

this will be tgstation in 2019

Post by AnonymousForumUser » #728874

Schermafbeelding 2024-05-19 001952.png
ive heard people talk about clock cult but i never knew how it played, and i still dont
what the fuck is happening

i forgot how often i had to inspect people to see their names before we got the big text at the top of the screen
but at least the frogs were already in the game
can't play as a felinid though :(
(forum profile distorted to protect privacy)
warbluke
Byond Username: Warbluke

Re: this will be tgstation in 2019

Post by warbluke » #728875

I forgot about the version that was a weird siege nukeops.
TheRex9001
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Rex9001

Post by TheRex9001 » #728876

Tg nowadays is so much better its not even fair to compare. No fancy chat... No runechat... No just clicking "t" to talk...
warbluke
Byond Username: Warbluke

Post by warbluke » #728883

I've had a lot more fun with one 2019 round than I've had with most 2024 rounds but that's mainly because there were more than 10 people online.
While I was playing I took some screenshots and made a txt file of what I liked and didn't.
THINGS I LIKE ABOUT 2019 SS13 AND THINGS I DON'T:
GOOD:
Right Click to examine Pile is nice instead of shift right click
Old PDA Spirtes
TAZERS!!!
Old Sec Helmets
Cool vents
Instant lathe
Flat caps aren't just redone berets
CLONING CLONING CLONING!
Old Screwdriver Sprites
Background Art is nicer and less cluttered (Delete the nebula please)
5 antags on 30 pop round is nice compared with the normal 5 antags on 7 pop round
BAD:
Things not being NanoUI hurts
Something about sprite scaling is screwed up
Old Sec Body armor
Can't point easy at inhand
Tabling is broken? Or maybe just weird
Old wrench sprites
Stink Mechanics
Resting and getting up is hard
Pre Fastmos I forgot about that one wow does it blow (or rather, not blow enough)
NEUTRAL:
Universal Hacking Wires
Actual pop is nice
Nanites
Stupid shit that should have been fixed years ago is still around (Blob existing for one)
No one remembered how to use the cloner when I died
Swarmers is fun (to play) but gives me RSI
Input lag lets me run around easier when getting chased
Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

Post by Timonk » #728885

Cock cult was when cock cult abducted people into cock world to convert them and build build cock defenses for however long it took them to get to the final phase of the crew having to invade cock world to own the cock core or for cock cult to hold out until the final phase is complete and having cock cult invade the real world and it was universally accepted that it was a steam roll by either side every time, which was one of the reasons (along with the fact that no one wanted to maintain it) it was removed (RIP)
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
In short, this appeal is denied. Suck my nuts retard.
Quoting a legend, at least im not a faggot lol
See you in 12 months unless you blacklist me for this
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.
Capsandi
Byond Username: Capsandi

Post by Capsandi » #728886

warbluke wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 1:32 am BAD:
Pre Fastmos I forgot about that one wow does it blow (or rather, not blow enough)

I just love the hustle and bustle of FIRELOCK HELL
man I wish all of these FIRELOCKS were SHIT and fires CRAP
This experience has cemented that the codebase needs to upend 4 years of atmos code because old fires were much better gameplay, and so were old breaches
Timonk wrote:
Wesoda25 wrote:Genuinely think they should be blacklisted.
You have clearly never seen his dick
Lower your tone with me if your tracked play time doesn't look like this:
Flatulent wrote:of course you can change religion doing it while islamic however makes you lose your head from happiness
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #728896

It really does take making a literal trip to the past to see whether or not the state of the game back then was better or worse. And overall, most things are worse in my opinion. The sprite rendering looks much worse, the framerate is much worse (this was before actioninja's work to improve framerate I believe, though that was also a bit clunky upon first release due to a byond bug I believe causing microtearing that would induce motion sickness in people playing), lighting is significantly worse and player feedback is abysmal. Old UI and html UI is unbelievably bad, and a lot of the admin tools are worse as well because of it. It's charming in how unapproachable it is, we had is so bad yet were so committed to playing because what was there at its core was so much fun and so unique.

I really want to give everyone who has contributed to accessibility features in the game a massive round of applause, because it made such a world of difference. I have attention problems, so splitting my focus between multiple things on-screen is difficult for me. It made first starting to play the game much more difficult than it should have been. The modern version of the game does not have this problem for me. Information is easily noticed, as is my ability to pick up in-game actions and my situational awareness. It doesn't feel like the game is actively hostile towards me like this version is, because here I'm actively having to maintain my attention on several spots at once while sorting out the informational white noise, which is not fun for me.
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #728897

Icon rendering and fps are both preferences

all thats changed i think are the defaults.

just enable one of the other icon scaling modes in game preferences, and set fps to 100 (which renders better than 60 because it also rounds with the server tick rate of 0.5seconds and the millisecond timer resolution.)
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dendydoom

Post by dendydoom » #728898

trying to follow a conversation of more than 3 people without runechat makes me wonder how this game ever worked at all
MrStonedOne wrote:I always read dendy's walls of text
NSFW:
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #728899

TheRex9001 wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 11:18 pm Tg nowadays is so much better its not even fair to compare. No fancy chat... No runechat... No just clicking "t" to talk...
press tab to toggle into hotkey mode little bro
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #728900

dendydoom wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 8:47 am trying to follow a conversation of more than 3 people without runechat makes me wonder how this game ever worked at all
it didn't
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #728901

dendydoom wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 8:47 am trying to follow a conversation of more than 3 people without runechat makes me wonder how this game ever worked at all
you just read top to bottom. your eyes arent used to having to actually look at the chatbox is my guess
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #728902

there is a different thread but you people dont go to that board so viewtopic.php?p=728894#p728894
i like a lot of the old things big surprise i know
Spoiler:
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin

Post by dendydoom » #728903

PKPenguin321 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 9:49 am
you just read top to bottom. your eyes arent used to having to actually look at the chatbox is my guess
NSFW:
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #728904

I miss when the supermatter would stack overflow and send a wave of death rads across the station that would slowly instantly cook everyone
As annoying as it was, I miss old rads. Today rads is just like "oh no! I stood next to the SM for 20 minutes! Time to take a pill and get healed as if nothing ever happened
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

DrAmazing343
Byond Username: DrAmazing343

Post by DrAmazing343 » #728906

PKPenguin321 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 9:45 am
TheRex9001 wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 11:18 pm Tg nowadays is so much better its not even fair to compare. No fancy chat... No runechat... No just clicking "t" to talk...
fucking preach
Walter brought back Crack.
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #728909

i like playing in hotkey mode because the little bar when i press t is impossible to see while i play on my 8K monitor because HOTKEY USERS ARE FUCKING RICH CHADS
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Agux909 wrote:

TheRex9001
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Rex9001

Post by TheRex9001 » #728911

PKPenguin321 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 9:45 am
I figured that out. Still doesnt make it good.
britgrenadier1
Byond Username: Britgrenadier1

Post by britgrenadier1 » #728914

it was a lot of fun honestly. I had to quickly remember how to make bicardine and kelotane, man things were simpler back then. Most chems had 3-4 steps and boom they're done.
I play Culls-The-Leviathan and Chris O' Riley. Primarily on Manny

PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #728917

dendydoom wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 10:23 am
what does that have to do with what i said
Spoiler:
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #728923

Played my first round in 5 years on 5 year old code. saved the station, got hit on by the AI, and threaten to axe athath in the face. it was exactly as i remembered it
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin

Post by dendydoom » #728928

PKPenguin321 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 8:27 pm
dendydoom wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 10:23 am
what does that have to do with what i said
im old and have dementia

im very used to reading the chatbox but it goes without saying that having text above people's heads so that you can naturally follow a conversation as it happens while also tracking what everyone is doing is hugely impactful not just on accessibility but on how "tuned in" people are to the immediate situation and how fast they respond to it

i have distinct memories of walking into crowded rooms back in the land of the dinosaurs and just giving up on following more than 1 or 2 people and what they were saying/doing in a situation because of the disconnect between the scrolling dialogue in the chatbox and the actions of the sprites in the game area
NSFW:
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #728950

The trick was to just read faster. Or sometimes turn off your headset so you didn't see the woody spam while having a conversation.
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #728954

the trick was looking at the chat then seeing in the chat that you are getting murdered right now
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Agux909 wrote: