Meta communication for the purpose of teaching new players

damiac
Rarely plays

Meta communication for the purpose of teaching new players

Post by damiac » #21068

This was inspired by this ban appeal: http://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1027

I totally get why there's no tolerance for metacomms, it's a way to cheat and ruin the game for everyone else.

But in the context of teaching someone how to play, when the people involved aren't hurting the round or impacting other players, couldn't the admins be a bit more lenient? When someone is brand new at the game it's helpful to be able to just communicate outside the game, because they probably don't have a good handle on how to communicate in game.

Like, if i'm in the same room as someone I'm trying to teach the game to, I might tell them to pick cargo tech. Then I'll tell them to go to cargo, where presumably I'm another cargo tech or QM, probably telling them how to get there, and answering their questions as they go. Yes, technically, that's metacommunication, but it's really not harmful, and it's also not even giving away anything he shouldn't know. We could communicate the same thing IC, but it's probably a lot easier for both of us to just talk, since we're in the same room and all.

Just trying to start a conversation, maybe I'm totally off base here.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Re: Meta communication for the purpose of teaching new playe

Post by oranges » #21076

There is no easy way to determine if it's true or not.
mrpain
Byond Username: Mrpain666

Post by mrpain » #21093

Carefully worded game mechanic questions work fine in OOC chat.

Some admins are very helpful about game mechanic questions in ahelps.

There is a wiki button on the game client. I know the wiki needs a bit of work and may be outdated in some areas but I still feel is an excellent resource that covers most mechanics well.

Meta coms with the intent of teaching new players game mechanics often times quickly escalates into something worse.
/vg/station Head Admin
Lovecraft
Byond Username: Rabukurafuto

Post by Lovecraft » #21095

After experiencing LOOC in other servers, I actually think TG'd benefit from it.
Friendly reminder that you are beautiful and this server would be nothing without your continued support
I play August Finster, a suave midget with a grudge, as well as Francis Heart, the naked guitarist of the Cosmos.
Spoiler:
Nobody is worthless. PM me anytime to talk.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #21098

/tg/ tried it before and people didn't like it. I can easily implement it from bay's implementation though. We should restrict ghosts from hearing/talking over looc since they basically have their own ooc (deadchat)
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
mrpain
Byond Username: Mrpain666

Post by mrpain » #21101

LOOC might be nice here.
/vg/station Head Admin
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #21109

There was a thread for that...
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

Cayce
Byond Username: Cayce

Post by Cayce » #21121

In the past I've done a hybrid of IC and OOC metacomms to teach new players.
I was CE, newbie was a friend of mine who was on skype as an engineer.

First thing I did was ahelp that I was teaching him how to do basic engineering tasks via skype, but that we won't metagame or anything.
So, I was telling him how to do things in-game, but explaining how to actually do them over skype (there's no in-character explanation for 'click metal, select wall girders'), etc.

Admins didn't seem to have an issue with it, and I taught him the basics of wiring, door hacking, wall construction/deconstruction, etc.
Winsome Lousome - A Winsome lass with criminal tendencies.
Kwisatz Haderach - Blue haired prophet of engineering.
Steals-The-Thing - That fucking ligger stole the pen out of my PDA.
Aurx
Byond Username: Aurx

Post by Aurx » #21141

Kwisatz wrote:First thing I did was ahelp that I was teaching him how to do basic engineering tasks via skype, but that we won't metagame or anything.
This is how you do it. Adminhelp to inform the admins, and so that if they have a problem with it they can tell you. Then carry on teaching the fresh meat.

If John or Bob tell the admins "John's using skype to help Bob the newbie learn to play", we can just slap a note down and watch for foul play. Coming forward to let us know shows goodwill and intent to play by the rules.
If admins suddenly find out "John and Bob are exchanging IC information via skype and have been doing so for a while" , that's a giant red flag. Keeping it hidden displays ill will and intent to disobey the rules.

Any admin who bans somebody for saying "Yo 'mins, I'm gonna teach an IRL buddy of mine to play SS13 using skype, their username's NewAssisTaint1337. Lemme know if this is a problem." had better have a damn good reason beyond "Metacommunication is against the rules".
Head admin, /vg/station
Game admin, /tg/station
POMF FOR HEADMIN
damiac
Rarely plays

Post by damiac » #21241

Fair enough, I'm glad to see you're already open minded about it.

Yeah, I don't know much about what happened in the ban appeal I linked, just what the guy said. It just got me thinking about the subject.
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #21343

It's also very easy to set up your own server or heck, even join basil to learn. It's much easier in my opinion to do that than to do it over the server with so much more circumstances. Either way works, doing it on an empty server or adminhelping what your doing. Like Aurx said, not telling admins and then seeing some fishy behavior puts you on the radar. Admins are lied to about meta communication All the time. so a majority of the time, even the notion of metacommunication, even if it's to teach a new player, puts you in a bad spot. Adminhelp before, or do it on an empty server.

To expand on the lied to part of meta communication. I've been lied to my face about someone who was meta communicating once, except I caught them in the lie because their freshly made account got a link in another database.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #21371

People are awfully deceptive about cheating in games, spacemen is no exception.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #21414

It's nice to confirm this behavior is ok. In the past it wasn't so clear.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Brotemis
Byond Username: Brotemis

Post by Brotemis » #21505

MisterPerson wrote:It's nice to confirm this behavior is ok. In the past it wasn't so clear.
In general, it's always a good idea to ask using adminhelp or at least notify. It's upfront and honest and doesn't look as questionable if we find it out later
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #21815

Not all players check the forums or the policy discussion threads, so how are new players or their teachers supposed to know to admin help their situation before attempting to teach their friends? Other than that i think its a great way to handle the whole metacomm stuff.
Spacemanspark
Byond Username: Spacemanspark

Post by Spacemanspark » #21817

Alex Crimson wrote:Not all players check the forums or the policy discussion threads, so how are new players or their teachers supposed to know to admin help their situation before attempting to teach their friends? Other than that i think its a great way to handle the whole metacomm stuff.
We could include it in the rules, perhaps.
:^)
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #21823

Spacemanspark wrote:
Alex Crimson wrote:Not all players check the forums or the policy discussion threads, so how are new players or their teachers supposed to know to admin help their situation before attempting to teach their friends? Other than that i think its a great way to handle the whole metacomm stuff.
Not sure how effective that would be. Almost every metacomm ban appeal has the "i didnt know it was against the rules" line. People just dont read the rules most of the time. Well, ignorance of the rules is never a valid excuse anyways.
Spacemanspark
Byond Username: Spacemanspark

Post by Spacemanspark » #21828

Alex Crimson wrote:
Spacemanspark wrote:
Not sure how effective that would be. Almost every metacomm ban appeal has the "i didnt know it was against the rules" line. People just dont read the rules most of the time. Well, ignorance of the rules is never a valid excuse anyways.
We should just stick it on the login sign on the lobby with big bold letters. "READ THE RULES.".
Or just have a popup appear for people who log in for the first time that contains the rules.
:^)
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #21838

A daily ban every time you are found out to not know the rules should do.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #21951

One server I played on put a random line of text in the middle of the rules and forced you to answer a question about that line of text before being allowed to play. It didn't really work because I just skimmed looking for the line of text and skipped everything else.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #21955

Which is why you put random words in random places that you can only find if you read the thing. That's just evil though.