[POLL]Should Xeno be given it's own Game Mode/Random Event?

A place to record your ideas for the game.

Should Xeno be given it's own Game Mode/Random Event that actually occurs?

Yes.
23%
Yes.
23%
Yes.
23%
No.
7%
No.
7%
No.
7%
Don't change anything at all ever, I'm an autist.
3%
3%
3%

Total votes: 126

tunderchief

[POLL]Should Xeno be given it's own Game Mode/Random Event?

Post by tunderchief » #21129

I posted a near identical poll on the old forums nearly a year ago. It received votes totaling more than 70% in favor of Xeno becoming an actual, bonafide round type, or an event that actually fires off with some amount of frequency, rather than an admin-only action used to speed up boring rounds or a very rare Admin-run extended round with Xenos at start.
Last edited by tunderchief on Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Re: Should Xeno be given it's own Game Mode/Random Event?

Post by paprika » #21130

It's made to end rounds and it'd have to be balanced properly for a game mode so no don't do this aliens are supposed to be mega robust.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
tunderchief

Post by tunderchief » #21133

paprika wrote:It's made to end rounds and it'd have to be balanced properly for a game mode so no don't do this aliens are supposed to be mega robust.

The only thing Xenos have is the stun touch. That is literally it now. Half the headwear in the game is now facehugger proof.
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #21135

I hate Xenos.

Anyways this has been discussed so much for as long as I've known.
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

kosmos
Byond Username: Kingofkosmos

Post by kosmos » #21142

I like how xenos currently are, but I still say yes if it would be carefully balanced and thought out. Not like it currently is.
The game could use more team-based antag rounds.

Maybe nuke ops but with xenos could work?
tunderchief

Post by tunderchief » #21144

kosmos wrote:I like how xenos currently are, but I still say yes if it would be carefully balanced and thought out. Not like it currently is.
The game could use more team-based antag rounds.

Maybe nuke ops but with xenos could work?
My thoughts exactly. Xenos start with a Queen and one or two drones/hunters/sentinels on a derelict hive shuttle on a random position off the station proper.
mrpain
Byond Username: Mrpain666

Post by mrpain » #21152

I see a lot of wasted potential with xeno's and a game mode.

Maybe spawn a queen and a view other xenos/ or just some larva and give them an objective such as "have weeds on x amount of tiles" "have x amount of xeno's spawned" etc. Maybe kill shuttle calls like with blob and rev and have the game end when the queen dies or the objective completed. Possibly.
/vg/station Head Admin
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Re: [POLL]Should Xeno be given it's own Game Mode/Random Eve

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #21187

Yes please.

Why are xenos better than revolution:

1) They keep people in the round.
2) They don't instantly fuck people over, their objective is to infect, not kill, so you still have a chance to get out and get surgery, instead of instant conversions.
3) They have a bunch of fun content and mechanics. Rev doesn't offer any additional content whatsoever, it just gives people antag status.

Remove rev and replace it with aliens please. Just adding aliens would also be fine, but less so.
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Cipher3 » #21282

Actually they remove you from the round, put someone else in your place, and likely will eventually put you back in the round depending on how fail the rest of the crew is comparable to you. And if you come back you're a xeno with one of a few roles, most of which are meh, and your first few minutes back in the round are meh.
Spoiler:

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #21287

These polls are just about as useful as online petitions.

If you want to get something in the game you need to actually do it.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #21288

Ikarrus wrote:If you want to get something in the game you need to actually do it.
Well, it'd be kind of sad to have PR rejected because somebody doesn't like it after you did all the hard work and stuff.
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #21289

The only thing offered here was a very general poll on a "Xeno Game Mode" but doesn't offer any further details or elaboration. We can't judge if a "Xeno Game Mode" PR based on this will be accepted because there's nothing to base any judgements on. It's far too vague to be of any use to anyone. He's already said he made this poll a while ago, so what's the point of running the exact same poll/discussion again?
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
tunderchief

Post by tunderchief » #21299

Ikarrus wrote:The only thing offered here was a very general poll on a "Xeno Game Mode" but doesn't offer any further details or elaboration. We can't judge if a "Xeno Game Mode" PR based on this will be accepted because there's nothing to base any judgements on. It's far too vague to be of any use to anyone. He's already said he made this poll a while ago, so what's the point of running the exact same poll/discussion again?

Because it was done on the old forums, and should someone decide to undertake the effort to make a Xeno game mode, I want them to see how feasible it is, and how much of the current community actually supports such an effort.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #21300

This should be less of a poll on whether or not it should be a thing and more of an active discussion about how to balance it then. If it's something people want, there needs to be some ideas. One queen spawn? One queen, a few sentinels, etc? I could easily get onto the brig part of the station station and disarm spam all of sec and ruin them as a hunter. Aliens are incredibly robust in the movies and there's TONS of them. It wouldn't work as a gamemode without completely pussifying aliens.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
tunderchief

Post by tunderchief » #21303

paprika wrote:This should be less of a poll on whether or not it should be a thing and more of an active discussion about how to balance it then. If it's something people want, there needs to be some ideas. One queen spawn? One queen, a few sentinels, etc? I could easily get onto the brig part of the station station and disarm spam all of sec and ruin them as a hunter. Aliens are incredibly robust in the movies and there's TONS of them. It wouldn't work as a gamemode without completely pussifying aliens.
Well, Wizard and Ops are extremely powerful, too, but that doesn't seem to be an issue. And I regularly see Xenos get shut down by a semi competent crew.

That's where it becomes a matter of balance. Should the Xenos start as larvae? Should the crew be warned and given time to prepare?

I mean, I'm considering slapping some code together and borrowing heavily from the Ops mode, but I want to see what people want, and what ideas we can come up with to balance the game a bit.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #21304

There's fucking 5 ops and they can't make more. The wizard can only have a limited amount of apprentices or make constructs, which aren't even HALF as robust as aliens are.

I really hate this idea since it'll almost certainly nerf aliens as a random event or be horribly implemented.
tunderchief

Post by tunderchief » #21310

paprika wrote:There's fucking 5 ops and they can't make more. The wizard can only have a limited amount of apprentices or make constructs, which aren't even HALF as robust as aliens are.

I really hate this idea since it'll almost certainly nerf aliens as a random event or be horribly implemented.

Why do Xenos need to be easy?

Blob isn't easy. Ops isn't easy. Antags win all the time. You could so some shit where the gestation period for facehugged crew is increased, but that'd just be boring.

What if a timed Nanotrasen Commando squad spawns? That was would balance things out quite a bit.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #21317

I think that somebody should start infected at the start of the round, like in blob. They receive antag status from the start and turn into larva after certain time, in which they can hide/sabotage/kidnap more people/monkeys/whatever. There should be at least 2 such people so that they won't just die and boom, the end of the round.

Round end is tougher. What kind of objectives should they get? What is crew's winning condition? Escape on the shuttle without xenos? Yeah, but then rounds would end awfully quickly and aliens are slow to mature. I suppose we could make AI receive quarantine law to make it prevent shuttle from calling.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #21320

Xenos already is a random event
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
tunderchief

Post by tunderchief » #21321

MisterPerson wrote:Xenos already is a random event
That almost never happens. A tree falls in the woods and no one sees it, etc.
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #21323

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:I think that somebody should start infected at the start of the round, like in blob. They receive antag status from the start and turn into larva after certain time, in which they can hide/sabotage/kidnap more people/monkeys/whatever. There should be at least 2 such people so that they won't just die and boom, the end of the round.

Round end is tougher. What kind of objectives should they get? What is crew's winning condition? Escape on the shuttle without xenos? Yeah, but then rounds would end awfully quickly and aliens are slow to mature. I suppose we could make AI receive quarantine law to make it prevent shuttle from calling.
This sounds pretty neat. The only other option i can think of, like i said in the thread months ago, is to spawn a few Larva on the Mining Asteroid at roundstart.

As for conditions. For Humans the obvious ones would be...

Human major victory - Eradicating all Queens and Drones from the Station and Mining Z-level
Human minor victory - Escaping on the shuttle with no Aliens on board
Alien minor victory - Covering 70-80% of the station in that purple weed stuff. Similar to the Blob objective
Alien major victory - Atleast 1 Alien making it to Centcomm on the emergency shuttle

Humans could call the shuttle early to win, but that would risk giving Aliens the chance at a major victory. A decent way to stop people calling the shuttle instantly i think, although i imagine it will not be very effective.

As for balance, i do not think Aliens are that strong. Sure 1v1 a good Alien will kill you, but its a damn Alien, they are supposed to be killing machines. The whole lore behind Aliens is the idea that they are the ultimate bio-weapon. However if the Humans have lasers, which they can easily order from Cargo, Aliens die very quickly. Their facehuggers can be completely negated by wearing a damn cardborg helmet, which you spawn with. Their spit is useless if Sec arms up with riot shields.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #21328

Without major changes xeno would never work as a roundtype, and I don't want it changed drastically to fit it either.

Aliens simply doesn't work as a roundstart gamemode. Aliens requires a distraction on the station for at least ten and more like twenty minutes to get the ball rolling, and once they do they are literally unstoppable by their most core mechanic: They gib humans and create aliens. This entirely removes people from ever being human again while bolstering the alien force, turning this into an extremely one sided war of attrition.

Alien is meant to be a convenient way to end rounds. The only reason anyone has fun with aliens is because they occur later in a round and bring people back into the game, but they require a sentient hand to guide their spawn location and the timing of their spawning, which the game simply cannot do automatically.

Keep aliens as they are. They absolutely not suitable for an engaging entertaining gamemode in and of themselves.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #21329

Alex Crimson wrote:Alien major victory - Atleast 1 Alien making it to Centcomm on the emergency shuttle
The problem with that is that aliens cannot call the shuttle. Humans just won't call it and that's it. Also hiding one alien somewhere in cockpit window or whatever would be quite easy.
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #21330

I do not see the harm in atleast trying it out. As far as i know its never been tried before. Aliens tend to be pretty popular, and Alien-spamming servers tend to get a decent amount of players.

and the attrition goes both ways. Aliens can be slowly eradicated by an even semi-organised group of players with helmets and lasers. They can only increase their numbers by impregnating living humans or getting into the monkey pens, which is rare.
The problem with that is that aliens cannot call the shuttle. Humans just won't call it and that's it. Also hiding one alien somewhere in cockpit window or whatever would be quite easy.
Then Aliens can go for the minor victory of overrunning the station. As for Aliens hiding, maybe the crew could stop griefing eachother long enough to search the shuttle? As far as i know there is no spot on the shuttle that is a complete safe-zone. Even behind the consoles at the front of the shuttle, can you not move them with some fancy deconstructing? Cant say ive ever tried.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #21333

No no no, you're missing something important. Suppose the aliens kill all the humans and take over the station. Congratulations, the round will now never end. Ever.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #21336

MisterPerson wrote:No no no, you're missing something important. Suppose the aliens kill all the humans and take over the station. Congratulations, the round will now never end. Ever.
As i suggested earlier, give the Aliens a win condition involving them filling the station with weeds. Hell, have them win by killing a % of the stations personnel. You are a coder dude, you tell us if its possible to have win conditions like that.
tunderchief

Post by tunderchief » #21341

MisterPerson wrote:No no no, you're missing something important. Suppose the aliens kill all the humans and take over the station. Congratulations, the round will now never end. Ever.

But that's not true.

>Alien minor victory - Covering 70-80% of the station in that purple weed stuff. Similar to the Blob objective

Aliens shit weeds, so the game WILL end in a reasonable amount of time.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #21367

Also someone tell WJ that aliens are purple and not black like in the movies because they feed off plasma and he can take his recolored sprites elsewhere
Kuraudo
Byond Username: Arumashi

Post by Kuraudo » #21519

I vote yes.
Adding Xenos on top of another major threat like changeling, revs, even some dangerous traitors, seems already dumb. That's why it must be a separate game mode.
As for the victory conditions, getting 80 % (or 100 %) of the crew infected/killed seems fair.
"He can't be bargained with. He can't be reasoned with. He doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And he absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are brigged."
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #21523

But aliens usually end really long (and boring) ling/extended rounds. I have never seen them actually ruin a round within 30-60 minutes, ever.
tunderchief

Post by tunderchief » #21912

paprika wrote:But aliens usually end really long (and boring) ling/extended rounds. I have never seen them actually ruin a round within 30-60 minutes, ever.

HBL and Bluespace will occasionally run round-start extended rounds with Xenos. And those rounds are honestly ridiculously fun. The whole crew works to fight the threat, rather than a staple percentage showing up for Blob.

If we could design a game mode that revolved around infecting the station, and perhaps an auto-spawned Deathsquad, it would easily become the most enjoyable round type on the servers.
kosmos

Post by kosmos » #21932

tunderchief wrote:If we could design a game mode that revolved around infecting the station, and perhaps an auto-spawned Deathsquad, it would easily become the most enjoyable round type on the servers.
This kinda gamemode would definitely have the best players-in-the-round / players-dead-waiting -ratio throughout the round.
Kelenius
Byond Username: Kelenius

Post by Kelenius » #21933

And we will replace rev with it. Everyone wins!
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #21962

Why can't people who die to the blob control their own blob zombies seriously
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #21964

paprika wrote:Why can't people who die to the blob control their own blob zombies seriously
The last thing we want is to encourage people to run into the blob.

Its why I hate the "Borg Converter" and why the victim does not control the alien that emerges from their corpse.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #21965

oh, true. why not make it like alium and have it pull from deadies? Borger should do that too.
Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #21990

PROJECTED TIMELINE OF ALIUM MODE:

1. Alien mode created
2. Imbalances, issues and bugs arise
3. Issues are fixed
4. People whine that it was better before, everyone hates it and calls it a shit mode
5. Taken out of heavy rotation
6. Maintenance on the code decreases, some bug eventually renders the mode unusable (hi meteor mode)

aliens have been fucked with so many times can we please just leave them alone and put effort towards something more productive
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Cipher3 » #21995

Cheridan wrote:4. People whine that it was better before, everyone hates it and calls it a shit mode
This is true for half of our current modes, too.
Spoiler:

Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Cipher3 » #21996

Cheridan wrote:4. People whine that it was better before, everyone hates it and calls it a shit mode
This is true for half of our current modes, too.
Spoiler:

Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #22017

Cheridan wrote:PROJECTED TIMELINE OF ALIUM MODE:

1. Alien mode created
3. Issues are fixed
4. People whine that it was better before, everyone hates it and calls it a shit mode
6. Maintenance on the code decreases, some bug eventually renders the mode unusable (hi meteor mode)

aliens have been fucked with so many times can we please just leave them alone and put effort towards something more productive
It hasnt even been tried yet, as far as i know. Why would you assume this would be the case? The only Alien game mode ive ever seen was the servers set up specifically to run Alien rounds all day, and they were pretty popular if i remember right. The only major complaint was that having Aliens constantly 24/7 got a little boring, which would be the case for any game mode.

So what? We never make new games modes because the coders are afraid of imbalance and bugs? Well jeez, i guess we will never have new things added to the station in that case. Because everything you guys make is always balanced and bug-free...
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #22067

The main problem with the Alien only servers was not the game mode, it was the administration being utterly shit (Banned for admin disrespect level) and the owners making unpopular changes to the game's code which made it even worse (Going from /tg/ code to Bay code, removing core aspects) and then forcing Role Play rules similar to Baystation to a heavy extent.

On top of the poorly designed maps used, being unable to stop shitlers and a heavily inconsistent administration of rules (I got into a argument on a admin wanting to ban me for meta-gaming cause I wore a Gas Mask, as a Soldier).

The alien game mode has proven to be well received and fun, it just needs proper coding, balancing and administration.
tunderchief

Post by tunderchief » #22077

1. Alien mode created
3. Issues are fixed

But Monkey Mode is perfect and everyone loves it, amirite?

If you compare the support for Xeno mode against the support for any other game mode barring maybe Traitors, you will see more support for Xeno.

People want the round type. People have wanted the round type for literally years, and have been ignored.

There is not a single damned reason why the overwhelming support in favor of a Xeno game mode should not be taken into account, whilst shit like Monkey Mode and Blob is tried over and over even though a large percentage of the community dislike it.
kosmos

Post by kosmos » #22088

1. Alien mode created
3. Issues are fixed
Of course this can happen, everything we do has certain risks.
But aliens could also experience what happened with Blob, I don't know the details of how that went production-wise, but it seems to be doing pretty darn well now compared to what it was and I've seldom heard people say that Blob was better before.