Turning bodies to ash with enough heat/time

A place to record your ideas for the game.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Turning bodies to ash with enough heat/time

Post by paprika » #36309

I find it silly that a crematory can turn people to ash but not plasma fires for 30 minutes. I'd like it if high enough temperature for a long enough time turned corpses into ash.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Re: Turning bodies to ash with enough heat/time

Post by Saegrimr » #36313

Maybe with a certain sustained temperature. You rarely get those kinds outside of burn chambers anyway so at least that would turn the incinerator room/toxins mixing chamber into a good way to get rid of bodies.

Trying to do that in the main halls just causes a breach and immediate dispersal of heat out of the hole. Plus that'd be a hell of a lot of people permanently out of the game for a hallway fire (assuming anybody would even take the time to clone them).
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #36327

Yeah, I was thinking more along the lines of using the incinerator to get rid of bodies since you never really get a chance to use it it outside of that
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
damiac
Rarely plays

Post by damiac » #36330

I second this request, the incinerator is pretty useless at the moment,it probably should be able to incinerate things.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #36370

Did it ever have a purpose besides being there?
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #36398

Making canister bombs. It was supposed to be used by the janitor or cargo to burn trash to ashes if they knew how to set it up right but that was never implemented.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #36435

How hot are we talking here? If you want over the temp that causes floors to melt, that's 10,000 Kelvins. So hotter than that, but for how long? Does pressure play a factor here?
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #36517

MisterPerson wrote:How hot are we talking here? If you want over the temp that causes floors to melt, that's 10,000 Kelvins. So hotter than that, but for how long? Does pressure play a factor here?
Average burn mix cans get up to what, 90,000+ if I remember correctly? Pressure probably doesn't need to be a thing, but definitely time. Imagine dragging a burn mix can to medbay, opening it, and the whole place turns to ash instantly.

Using burn-damage to calculate it would lead to people being spaced turned to ash, so don't shortcut that. (I know someone was thinking it)
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Raven776
Byond Username: Raven776

Post by Raven776 » #36564

It sounds like a fun idea but with the way atmos works and everything, I can't imagine it would be an easy thing to code without it being laggy or odd.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #36572

Violaceus wrote:
Saegrimr wrote: Using burn-damage to calculate it would lead to people being spaced turned to ash, so don't shortcut that. (I know someone was thinking it)
Which is not a bad idea. Body frozen by space would crumble at slightest touch I think.
I think the bigger issue is how convient space is already for corpse disposal, i mean, you're already essentially out of the round by time you leave the airlock. Complete body disposal (no body) should take a little more effort than stun+airlock.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #36574

Violaceus wrote:Which is not a bad idea. Body frozen by space would crumble at slightest touch I think.
Really? Based on what?

I wouldn't want another way to lose ability to be cloned, to be honest.
JJRcop
Byond Username: JJRcop
Github Username: JJRcop

Post by JJRcop » #36589

Violaceus wrote:
Lo6a4evskiy wrote:
Violaceus wrote:Which is not a bad idea. Body frozen by space would crumble at slightest touch I think.
Really? Based on what?

I wouldn't want another way to lose ability to be cloned, to be honest.
Well I saw baloons crumble after being put in liquid nitrogen...
SS13 has a sun.
I lurk quite often...
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #36596

It's also vacuum.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #36617

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:I wouldn't want another way to lose ability to be cloned, to be honest.
This. There'd be essentially no point to space rescues and spacing would be literally permadead instead of "probably not going to find you ever" death.
Last edited by cedarbridge on Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #36624

On the subject of burn damage.

Cryosting and Basilisk suddenly become ash machines, no thanks.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #36625

I'm not sure about it, but probably people who died while being on fire as well.
ExplosiveCrate
Byond Username: ExplosiveCrate

Post by ExplosiveCrate » #36667

That's only assuming that burn damage is used instead of atmospheric temperature. And even then, IIRC burn damage stops being applied after death unless you actively hit the limbs with lasers/welders.
i dont even know what the context for my signature was
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #36696

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:I'm not sure about it, but probably people who died while being on fire as well.
Toxins bursts into flames, scientist is deleted from the round ggnore
ExplosiveCrate
Byond Username: ExplosiveCrate

Post by ExplosiveCrate » #36719

cedarbridge wrote:
Lo6a4evskiy wrote:I'm not sure about it, but probably people who died while being on fire as well.
Fire melts the floor and dies down because space is cold. Scientist is still dead, but able to come back into the round.

Unless he reinforces the entire toxins mixing floor and builds walls in front of the windows, but who'd be stupid enough to do that?
i dont even know what the context for my signature was
Fragnostic
Byond Username: Fragnostic

Post by Fragnostic » #36748

ExplosiveCrate wrote:Unless he reinforces the entire toxins mixing floor and builds walls in front of the windows, but who'd be stupid enough to do that?
Same dumbfuck who popped a tank out of canister of superheated plasma without closing the valve.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #36763

ExplosiveCrate wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:
Fire melts the floor and dies down because space is cold. Scientist is still dead, but able to come back into the round.

Unless he reinforces the entire toxins mixing floor and builds walls in front of the windows, but who'd be stupid enough to do that?
Except we've already determined that exposure to space has the same burn damage end-game as a roaring furnace. Thus, exposure to space AFTER burning the shit out of yourself would only accelerate that process.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #36798

ExplosiveCrate wrote:That's only assuming that burn damage is used instead of atmospheric temperature. And even then, IIRC burn damage stops being applied after death unless you actively hit the limbs with lasers/welders.
It's not consistent. Space does go over -200 I'm pretty sure. Burning might not.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #36823

We're doing this based off the ambient gas temperature anwyays, so let's cut the pointless spess discussion.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Cuboos
Byond Username: Cuboos

Post by Cuboos » #36919

Ashes should also get sucked into space if they're near a hull breach/open airlock/incinerator shutters
/TG/ First and Only Sound guy
The only Dev unanimously loved least hated.