Give sec hardsuit a build in jetpack

A place to record your ideas for the game.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Give sec hardsuit a build in jetpack

Post by CPTANT » #95772

Currently it seems atmos and engineering hardsuits have build in jetpacks but sec hardsuits don't. Engineers have to work around the station but the times sec has to put on a spacesuit they are the ones who need a jetpack the most. Security has to deal with nuke ops and traitors who just looted the armory through space. the ONE time a jetpack is ESSENTIAL is when fighting in space. As it stands now you are better off wearing an engineering hardsuit during space combat instead of a security one (without regular jetpack). Mobillity is WAY more important than the added resistances.

You can argue about security vs traitor balance in space, but its just odd that you are better of in an engineering suit.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Re: Give sec hardsuit a build in jetpack

Post by lumipharon » #95773

Fighting a dude in space who has a jetpack, while you don't, is fucking awful.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #95777

But if sec has jetpacks I won't be literally immortal in space once I steal one
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #95778

they should just have the engisuit one
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #95799

I agree with this, they're only ever used to combat people who are in space and it's really hard to do that if you have to keep hugging the edges and shooting yourself back towards them if you go too far away.
ThatSlyFox
Byond Username: ThatSlyFox

Post by ThatSlyFox » #95842

On one hand I dislike secuirty going off station instead of being on it, on the other hand I know people are going to do this anyway. If we do this then maybe their jetpack should be a little slower than average?

I can just see it now, security chasing ops into their shuttle, raping and pillaging the infiltrator and all who dare to live within it.
Scones

Post by Scones » #95845

ThatSlyFox wrote:On one hand I dislike secuirty going off station instead of being on it, on the other hand I know people are going to do this anyway. If we do this then maybe their jetpack should be a little slower than average?

I can just see it now, security chasing ops into their shuttle, raping and pillaging the infiltrator and all who dare to live within it.
"The station" includes space around the station on the Z as far as I'm concerned, "leaving the station" means going off-z
Sabbat
Byond Username: Sabbat

Post by Sabbat » #95948

>Security
>Going off to valid hunt in space at first sign of somebody in space
>LOOT DAT ARMORY
>GIT OUTA STATION
>Meanwhile entire station is being destroyed from the inside by the actual antags and not the assistant who stole a space suit and knocked on the HoS's office window before honking and running away

Remove sec hardsuits, re-add medical hardsuits.
Scones

Post by Scones » #95964

Space surrounding the station is Security's jurisdiction. If Security was unable to go into space they would get absolutely rolled by antags with spacesuits (See: The 2 most common types of antag) simply for lack of mobility.

Nobody does that, Sabbat. If somebody is fucking around in space, yes, someone will usually go after them, BECAUSE IT IS THEIR JURISDICTION AND IT WILL BE THE SAME PROCEDURE THAT WOULD BE TAKEN INSIDE THE STATION. IN SPACE. Space is not some magical anything-goes wild west zone, Security is free to pursue and detain - Being in space outside the Brig doing shady stuff is more than enough reason to get memed on.

CMO getting a hardsuit would be nice, though. Normal medical hardsuits would just get stolen/be free antag spacesuits for the MDs who are arguably not really supposed to be going into space en masse except for the rare body recovery.
Marflow
Byond Username: Marflow

Post by Marflow » #95975

I agree, sec is woefully poorly equipped for anything space-related, there's really no reason why the sec hardsuit shouldn't have internal jetpack. IIRC all the internal jetpacks already are slower than the proper ones. In my numerous space antaggings, it's mostly been the captain who gets me, never the security itself. Armory could also use few actual oxygen tanks since the emergency tanks are quite unusable with jetpack.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #95976

Besides, it's not as though security as a whole is going to leave into space. There are only 2 security hardsuits on the station, and nobody ever orders more (if that's even possible).
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #96500

I say no to this. If Security really needs to go validhunt in space instead of keeping the station less dangerous, they can grab a jetpack from EVA.

REMEMBER EVA GUYS?
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #96504

Maybe no jetpack but sheesh spread out the girders on the side of the station so they can at least move two abreast.

Sec hunting a guy in the vicinity of the station is a crap shoot and they go out ONE BY ONE because the station architecture can barely support single file on the exterior.

Hmm a lone officer going out ALONE to MAYBE MAYBE end a space threat I wonder what his chances are!
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #96505

That's more of a mapping problem.

And don't play victims, sec has easy access to the best stun weaponry. Git gud, I say.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #96510

Most of the people outside of nuke messing with sec in space are armoury raiders that oh my gawwwd a taser the epitome of the entire game the UNEARTHLY DIVINE TASER stuff is corrected very rapidly in a good armoury raid.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #96686

When the fuck did engineers get BUILT IN JETPACKS? How are you even supposed to refill them?
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
RG4
Byond Username: RG4ORDR

Post by RG4 » #96687

Saegrimr wrote:When the fuck did engineers get BUILT IN JETPACKS? How are you even supposed to refill them?
This sounds like Nuke Ops gear rather that engineering gear. Fuck me this just makes fucking off to space WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY easier for them.
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #96691

engineers don't have built in jetpacks unless i've been missing something or i'm dumb

i really wish they did though with slowspace wiring the solars is fucking S L O W
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #96722

Built-in-jetpacks work by taking gas from whatever tank is in your suit storage and using it as propellant
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Shadowlight213
Byond Username: Shadowlight213
Github Username: Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #96946

Sec hardsuits have far more armor than engineering hardsuits do. They don't need the extra mobility if built in jetpacks.
whodaloo
Byond Username: Whodaloo

Post by whodaloo » #96947

Saegrimr wrote:When the fuck did engineers get BUILT IN JETPACKS? How are you even supposed to refill them?
If you put a tank of gas in your suit storage slot, you can right-click your hardsuit and toggle your inbuilt jetpack. It's slower than the back-mount, but you obviously don't have to waste a slot.

There's really no reason not to give sec hardsuits the same function, by the way. As it is, sec hardsuits are fundamentally shit at actually doing what sec hardsuits are meant to do: pursue people who flee into space. The oxytank change would help combat assholes who make off with the two roundstart jetpacks and murderbone anyone who comes after them. (here's looking at you, Kor)
i love public logs
Spoiler:
SAY: Kolt Saudwell/RedMcCloud : Beacuse
SAY: Kolt Saudwell/RedMcCloud : ((im banned))

SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : Hos
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : Can i bang you]
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : ]plras
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : R; I WROTE THIS SOMG FOR YOU HOS

SAY: Bryce Pax/IcePacks : I THINK I WAS A LITTLE HASTY IN GIVING THE CREW ACCESS TO THE ARMORY

Lusty Xenomorph Maid begins to clean the telescopic baton with the soap...

[Common] Garrett Larson says, "How do i shot pod"

OOC: Zoey Webb/Firecage : WHodaloo, why are you so fucking aggressive against me
OOC: Engineer Donkin/Whodaloo : i have no idea what you're talking about chief
OOC: Zoey Webb/Firecage : Cuck sucking dick wanking piece of cock shit head
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Post by Falamazeer » #97001

palpatine213 wrote:Sec hardsuits have far more armor than engineering hardsuits do. They don't need the extra mobility if built in jetpacks.
Armor is almost completely worthless compared to Mobility in our robust combat system.
Want proof? Go pick a fight with literately anyone not wearing a hardsuit when you are.
Use the changeling armor in public.
Wear a firesuit and punch the HoS.
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #97029

Falamazeer wrote:
palpatine213 wrote:Sec hardsuits have far more armor than engineering hardsuits do. They don't need the extra mobility if built in jetpacks.
Armor is almost completely worthless compared to Mobility in our robust combat system.
Want proof? Go pick a fight with literately anyone not wearing a hardsuit when you are.
Use the changeling armor in public.
Wear a firesuit and punch the HoS.
hardsuits aren't for maneuvering indoors anyway though

at least when the gravgen's on

hint when it's off you can use your jetpack and maneuver far better than anyone else, you also don't get stuck in the middle of large rooms

hardsuits shouldn't be a clothing for all seasons, making them into one is just silly. the only real exception is for engineers but that's for environmental reasons; you need the spacesuit when the hull inevitably gets blown through, which it will a large percentage of the time when you're asked to repair anything.
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #97084

whodaloo wrote:
If you put a tank of gas in your suit storage slot, you can right-click your hardsuit and toggle your inbuilt jetpack. It's slower than the back-mount, but you obviously don't have to waste a slot.

There's really no reason not to give sec hardsuits the same function, by the way. As it is, sec hardsuits are fundamentally shit at actually doing what sec hardsuits are meant to do: pursue people who flee into space. The oxytank change would help combat assholes who make off with the two roundstart jetpacks and murderbone anyone who comes after them. (here's looking at you, Kor)
No because security has stun weapons.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #97085

Stun weapons don't work too well in space. They change your trajectory when fired, they have limited range, and they're avoidable, especially if your opponent has a jetpack. You need something to catch up with them before opening fire.
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #97087

Borrow from EVA.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #97089

Scott wrote:
whodaloo wrote:

No because security has stun weapons.
And people robbing the armory never do of course :roll:
Scott wrote:Borrow from EVA.
Tell that to the engineers who DO get a build in jetpack.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #97099

Science has all the toys, Security just asks them nicely and arrests them when they say no.

... that gives me an idea. Jetpack research from R&D, requiring ~5 Engineering research, that when applied to a hardsuit (not spacesuit), gives it a built-in jetpack.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #98196

It does make sense that the job that would require the most mobility in space would be the ones to have that mobility...