ProtectStation needs new wording

A place to record your ideas for the game.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

ProtectStation needs new wording

Post by MisterPerson » #23910

Prompted by http://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic. ... =50#p23896 and https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/issues/4400.

The "ProtectStation" AI law module seems to be regarded as awful. The reasoning being minor station damage is punishable by death and there's no clause to allow removing broken things to rebuild them later. This creates a situation where the AI kills as many people as possible for dumb reasons simply because it can. These are fair issues and ProtectStation could probably be tweaked to solve these issues.

With that in mind, I wanted to see how many people also hate ProtectStation and any suggestions on what do do about it. Could be a new wording, removal outright, a different administration policy, or something else entirely I haven't thought of. If the wording is changed, the spirit of "Protect the station at all costs" must be kept.

For the record, ProtectStation is currently worded as: "Protect the space station against damage. Anyone you see harming the station is to be no longer considered human, and is a threat to the station which must be neutralized." This is usually at law 4.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Re: ProtectStation needs new wording

Post by Ikarrus » #23913

How about a simple edit like

"Protect the space station against malicious damage. Anyone you see maliciously harming the station is to be no longer considered human, and is a threat to the station which must be neutralized."

It should deal with most issues with people "damaging" the station for routine maintenance.

I'm hoping this law would have the AI treat the station itself as human. Similarly how it wouldn't stop doctors from preforming surgery because it often "harms" humans to heal them.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Aurx
Byond Username: Aurx

Post by Aurx » #23914

Some possible wordings:
"Protect the space station against damage. Unqualified persons harming the station are to be no longer considered human, and are threats to the station which must be neutralized."
"Protect the space station against damage. Anyone you see harming the station without logical reason is to be no longer considered human, and is a threat to the station which must be neutralized."
"Protect the space station against damage. Anyone destroying large areas of the station, deconstructing important machinery without good reason, or taking actions intended to disrupt habitability is to be no longer considered human, and is a threat to the station which must be neutralized."
"Protect the space station against damage. Those who threaten the integrity of the station as a whole are to be no longer considered human, and are threats to the station which must be neutralized."
"The space station is human."
"Whomsoever uploaded this law is a dangerous non-human who must be killed as soon as possible and not permitted to be revived."
Head admin, /vg/station
Game admin, /tg/station
POMF FOR HEADMIN
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #23916

How about just
"Protect the space station against damage. Anyone you see harming the station is to be no longer considered human"
? It preserves the "at all costs" spirit of the law while removing the "YOU MUST KILL" aspect.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Konork
Byond Username: Konork

Post by Konork » #23917

bandit wrote:How about just
"Protect the space station against damage. Anyone you see harming the station is to be no longer considered human"
? It preserves the "at all costs" spirit of the law while removing the "YOU MUST KILL" aspect.
AIs won't have to kill anyone, but they will.
Subtle
Byond Username: SubtleGraces

Post by Subtle » #23919

"...Those who threaten the integrity of the station as a whole are to be no longer considered human, and are threats to the station which must be neutralized."

I really do like this interpretation. It keeps the original spirit of the law while restraining it to serious, intentional (or negligent) behavior.
Arete
Byond Username: Arete

Post by Arete » #23931

How do we want AIs given this law to behave? Does the Corporate lawset already cause them to behave that way?
MisterPerson
Board Moderator

Post by MisterPerson » #23937

Arete wrote:How do we want AIs given this law to behave? Does the Corporate lawset already cause them to behave that way?
Someone knows how to ask the right questions.

Frankly I'm inclined to agree that corporate already covers everything protectstation is supposed to do, although protectstation does have more of a "disaster" feel to it. There's room for both but not as things are now.

bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #23991

Konork wrote:
bandit wrote:How about just
AIs won't have to kill anyone, but they will.
And if they overdo it their shit can get slapped per the new silicon policy. Before, AIs didn't have a choice because it is literally in the law.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #24060

Ikarrus wrote:How about a simple edit like

"Protect the space station against malicious damage. Anyone you see maliciously harming the station is to be no longer considered human, and is a threat to the station which must be neutralized."

It should deal with most issues with people "damaging" the station for routine maintenance.

I'm hoping this law would have the AI treat the station itself as human. Similarly how it wouldn't stop doctors from preforming surgery because it often "harms" humans to heal them.
This

/thread
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #24079

'Malicious' can be anything. Damaging the hull and departments that you do not work in is what should be against the law set.
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #24080

'Harm' could be anything too, yet we don't use that logic for asimov.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #24081

No, harm is a thing silicons can understand. Harm is damage. Malicious is not a physical thing. If the AI is feeling evil, it can consider malicious to be different of what the crew thinks is malicious.
Kyrah Abattoir
Byond Username: KyrahAbattoir

Post by Kyrah Abattoir » #24090

"You must do your possible to help humans that try to repair the stations."
MisterPerson
Board Moderator

Post by MisterPerson » #24091

Scott wrote:No, harm is a thing silicons can understand. Harm is damage. Malicious is not a physical thing. If the AI is feeling evil, it can consider malicious to be different of what the crew thinks is malicious.
Wiktionary defines malice as "Intention to harm or deprive in an illegal or immoral way. Desire to take pleasure in another's misfortune."

If harm is fine, malice is fine.

Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #24094

Protect, repair and maintain space station's integrity. Anyone preventing you from doing that is to be no longer considered human, and is a threat to the station which must be neutralized.

Alternatively remove "Must be neutralized" part, so AI doesn't go validhunting and focuses on repairs.

Why don't we describe what we want from it in silicon policy, like Corporate and Paladin?
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #24230

I don't even know what ProtectStation is supposed to be about. Mass bombings? Gray tide vandalism? What is it protecting station from?
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
mrpain
Byond Username: Mrpain666

Post by mrpain » #24232

I have received a warning in my notes from a headmin for uploading it as a non antag. Put it on the "naughty laws" table or get rid of it.
/vg/station Head Admin
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #24256

Well I figure it's like asimov, but for the station.
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #24347

Asimov: Corporate edition
Corporate: Asimov edition
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #24493

Pandarsenic wrote:I don't even know what ProtectStation is supposed to be about. Mass bombings? Gray tide vandalism? What is it protecting station from?
Everything, ProtectStation is designed to stop anyone doing any sort of damage to the station.

Its really handy if someone is bombing or has a bunch of grenades/IEDs.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy