gang turrets

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Deitus
Byond Username: Deitus

gang turrets

Post by Deitus » #327969

first off, yes i ded pls nerf xDxDxD le shitpost

but even if they're expensive, an easily moveable/deployable, infinite ammo, knockdown-on-hit and rapid fire death machine is pretty OP no matter how you look at it in my opinion.

yeah "just tase" "just flashbang" "just [x]"

we all know these arguments are totted out for most things but lets be real, for most actual in-game scenarios they dont work out for some reason or another.

if im the only one who thinks this i'll be quiet but it just seems like it needs at least finite ammo that can MAYBE be replenished at high cost, like uzi rounds.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Re: gang turrets

Post by BeeSting12 » #327970

no i agree these things are bad for balance. i dislike them a lot, i'd rather see them removed than buffed in cost. tbh id like to stimpacks go also
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #327986

I really think the wrenching should take much longer. I've seen gangers tactically pull a turret with them, wrench it in place and climb on it before people can realise that the guy with a turret is a ganger, and get their gun out before he hops on and literally blows them away
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #327993

whatever you do, keep them in the game for admins.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #327994

Armhulen wrote:whatever you do, keep them in the game for admins.
how much would you TC trade for one of those fireball turrets
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #327998

BeeSting12 wrote:
Armhulen wrote:whatever you do, keep them in the game for admins.
how much would you TC trade for one of those fireball turrets
i don't think i could do that and sleep at night
Deitus
Byond Username: Deitus

Post by Deitus » #328108

turrets really do just seem admeme-tier op at this point even when they're not shooting honkmother staff bananas
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #328121

To be fair they're really easy to destroy and they cost a ton in gangs
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #330288

Did gang ever get a balance pass?

I incorporated several turret nerfs and gang balance changes into my big gang PR but I abandoned that when it was clear it was going to end up in code purgatory and die just like my Engineering PR did.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #330296

To be honest I think gang would be better without the turrets.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
FrozenGuy5
Github User
Byond Username: FrozenGuy5
Github Username: praisenarsie

Post by FrozenGuy5 » #330297

Oldman Robustin wrote:Did gang ever get a balance pass?
https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/30056

;(
ййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййй shitty fucking signatures
Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #330606

CPTANT wrote:To be honest I think gang would be better without the turrets.
I wanted to see endgame fighting for gangs amount to more than everyone mashing random arrow keys while clicking their gun in the enemy's general direction. I like the idea of turrets because it was a fair counter to the run-n-gun style that has dominated our ranged meta for as long as this game has existed (its one of the reason most Nukeop teams are a shitshow, everyone has to constantly be moving - multiply that by 5 ops and its no wonder teams get split up within 30 seconds of entering the station). I didn't like automatic turrets because they're typically way too strong and clock cult had taught me that automatic defenses just aren't fun for either side.With manned turrets there's enough firepower to shut down run and gun and force a "siege" that I felt was more appropriate for attacking a gang base.

Unfortunately turrets were left in an unbalanced state that made them too versatile and their weaknesses were not sufficiently pronounced, and while a few simple var changes would make them a lot more reasonable - I'm not quite ready to start touching code again.
Jarek
Byond Username: JarekTheRaptor
Github Username: Jarektheraptor

Post by Jarek » #330680

Anonmare wrote:I really think the wrenching should take much longer. I've seen gangers tactically pull a turret with them, wrench it in place and climb on it before people can realise that the guy with a turret is a ganger, and get their gun out before he hops on and literally blows them away
You don't actually need to wrench them at all, they can be used anywhere so long as you're not stunned and buckled to the gun. They don't even have that long of a cooldown after they shoot either.
[01:57:09]ADMIN: PM: Unicorn_dream/(Miguel Eliza)->Bgobandit/(Spends-the-Fortune): fuck myself
(F) C A P T A I N U N D E R P A N T S (Station Engineer) has arrived at the station at Arrival Shuttle.

kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #331143

even if they're anchor-required
>i see person moving at me before they can see my position offscreen
>i blast them before they can react with 30 bullets
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
also how i deal with turrets is just shoot lethals at them, if the rider doesn't dismount, they die, if they do, the turret dies.
Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #331666

Basically what Kev said

If you know where a turret is, and you have a ranged weapon, its pretty simple to destroy. I believe the downtime on the gunfire is over 50% (shoot 4 seconds, cooldown for ~5).

My nerfs were to slow down the rate of fire by 20%, slow down the mount/dismount process, reduce the visual range by 1, and make the gun itself more fragile. If Gang doesn't get removed I'll re-introduce those nerfs at the very least.