MODsuits are not useful for combat at all.

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
1glitchycent
Byond Username: 1GlitchyCent

MODsuits are not useful for combat at all.

Post by 1glitchycent » #646104

MODsuits are, conceptually cool. In practice, though, they're just a worse version of Bay hardsuits, mainly because of how much of a fucking pain they are to use. On Bay, hardsuits can be taken on and off partially, without deactivating the whole thing, or at least for the helmet. This may seem like a minor thing, since many of the other features are pretty much the same, but it's actually quite important. It makes using MODsuits in combat kind of suicidal unless you have patches. And yeah, sure, you can use patches, but all other methods of ingesting medicine besides full on surgery are pretty much impossible to do quickly. On Bay, your suit has injection ports which allow you to slowly use syringes, hyposprays, etc. Here, if you want to medicate in any way besides patches, you have to wait for 30 seconds, possibly in a low pressure, dangerous environment, while possibly close to death, medicate yourself, and THEN wait for ANOTHER 30 seconds. On Bay, even if there were no injection ports, you can atleast lower your helmet to inject things, use pills, etc. This means MODsuits are pretty much inferior to all other options for EVA situations, including normal spacesuits, and much, MUCH worse than the previous /tg/ hardsuits. If you get injured in any way that requires immediate attention, and don't have medicine patches, you're just fucked, because of how long it takes to put on and off.
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Re: MODsuits are not useful for combat at all.

Post by Mothblocks » #646118

They're not supposed to be useful for combat
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #646122

just use genetics/eva suits to avoid them

I believe your issues with them are intentional by current design anyways sadly. Like gas-masks, maintainers dont want everyone to wear them all the time, thus their now more gimmicky and less useful.
► Show Spoiler
CursedBirb
Byond Username: Cursed Birb

Post by CursedBirb » #646148

You know that there is a module that allows you to eat and by extension ingest pills?
1glitchycent
Byond Username: 1GlitchyCent

Post by 1glitchycent » #646155

Mothblocks wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:05 am They're not supposed to be useful for combat
>the expensive, modular spacesuit able to accept wide-varieties of equipment is not designed for EVA combat, and in some circumstances worse than its conventional softsuit counterparts
Quite sad!
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #646174

let's make this thread into something useful
when are softsuits and firesuits getting converted to the modsuit system(with far less module space) so that people can't easily circumvent them anymore?
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #646177

datorangebottle wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:35 pm let's make this thread into something useful
when are softsuits and firesuits getting converted to the modsuit system(with far less module space) so that people can't easily circumvent them anymore?
hopefully never because I love having multiple options. Like fire suit + temp adapt. Or robust coffee + pressure adapt

Gives the game more depth.
► Show Spoiler
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #646444

Mothblocks wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:05 am They're not supposed to be useful for combat
That's true for crew modsuits. Antagonist modsuits and antagonist modules are the exception, and have a lot of tools to help them be that exception. I don't think the OP made a distinction about what they were talking about, but I figured this was important to state.
blackdav123
Byond Username: Blackdav123

Post by blackdav123 » #646454

I miss being able to have awesome space fights and quickly get undressed once I find an airlock I can escape into rather than slowly disassembling my suit like iron man as we have it now.

space eva combat is one of the features you will never find in any other game besides this one, and it is sad to see how we have worked to make it less and less common.
Weston Echard on Sybil
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #646458

I still don't get why spacesuits had to get nerfed and replaced by modsuits, was it really that bad that people could drag around a bulky suit and go into space?
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #646486

But why? Because oranges doesn't want them to have armour values for presumably inexplicable, arbitrary and unjustifiable reasons?
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #646491

cacogen wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:25 am
But why? Because oranges doesn't want them to have armour values for presumably inexplicable, arbitrary and unjustifiable reasons?
MOD suits don't have armor value? If so, that doesn't even make sense. You're telling me the giant metal suit I'm wearing offers no protection?
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #646493

BeeSting12 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:56 am
cacogen wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:25 am
MOD suits don't have armor value? If so, that doesn't even make sense. You're telling me the giant metal suit I'm wearing offers no protection?
they used to not but thankfully fikou was able to add a bit of armor to them. Each should at least give a tiny bit of protection to all elements. 5-10 armor minimum for areas their not specialized in.
► Show Spoiler
Tgent007
Byond Username: Tgent007

Post by Tgent007 » #646698

I like the way they feel, they make me feel like Isaac Clarke suiting up his next upgrade... Maybe we should have upgrades like extra plating.