The great chemistry feedback thread

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

The great chemistry feedback thread

Post by CPTANT » #649954

Thread for discussing our current chemistry system. What works well? What doesn't? What chemical rarely gets used or has clearly better alternatives.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
CPTANT

Re: The great chemistry feedback thread

Post by CPTANT » #649957

I will start:

Smoke Powder
I think smoke powder needs to be a bit easier. It's not that hard but still I feel turning a payload into smoke should be trivial. Smoke grenades are fun and honestly a bit underused.
I think smoke powder should just always form from the normal smoke recipe:
1 part Phosphorus
1 part Potassium
1 part Sugar

And then be activated by adding 1 part Oxygen without loss of effectiveness like with foam. Seriously I want to see more use of smoke payloads and this gives a small incentive to that.

Epinephrine
Why is this such a hassle to make? It's a basic healing chem and everyone starts with it I would at least cut the extra ingredients required So the new recipe is:
1 part Acetone
1 part Diethylamine
1 part Phenol

Space Lube
Honestly I am a bit sick off space lube, its been used for ages and its novelty wore off ages ago. I would like to see it slightly harder to make and I propose this recipe:
1 part Oxygen
1 part Silicon
1 part Oil

So it is at least a BIT harder to make and not spewing out of hallway factories every shift.

Helbital
Why would I ever use this when the other brute healing chemicals are just better. Salicylic Acid is better in every way and barely harder to create. Only the OD and inverse make this somewhat interesting as a toxin.

Aiuri and Lenturi

Do we really need two of these? They do the same thing only damaging another organ

As a general remark I think there is an extreme bloat of chemicals and little thought about the progression or difficulty of obtaining each chemical, with some of the easiest chemicals being extremely lethal compared to the complicated ones.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #649971

Full disagree on the smoke powder take. Just balance your smoke making chems across two beakers so they react on release. Put 30u Phosphorus 15u Potassium in beaker 1 and 30u sugar 15u potasium in beaker two. Fill the rest of the space with a cocktail of your choice, or double the numbers and have a very potent smoke nade. Smoke powder sucks and I don't see why a competent chemist would ever use it in a grenade.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #649980

Itseasytosee2me wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:15 pm Full disagree on the smoke powder take. Just balance your smoke making chems across two beakers so they react on release. Put 30u Phosphorus 15u Potassium in beaker 1 and 30u sugar 15u potasium in beaker two. Fill the rest of the space with a cocktail of your choice, or double the numbers and have a very potent smoke nade. Smoke powder sucks and I don't see why a competent chemist would ever use it in a grenade.
I'm saying it shouldn't suck, its the basic function of a grenade. Splitting obviously works, but I still think smoke is underused.
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #649982

CPTANT wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:01 pm
Itseasytosee2me wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:15 pm Full disagree on the smoke powder take. Just balance your smoke making chems across two beakers so they react on release. Put 30u Phosphorus 15u Potassium in beaker 1 and 30u sugar 15u potasium in beaker two. Fill the rest of the space with a cocktail of your choice, or double the numbers and have a very potent smoke nade. Smoke powder sucks and I don't see why a competent chemist would ever use it in a grenade.
I'm saying it shouldn't suck, its the basic function of a grenade. Splitting obviously works, but I still think smoke is underused.
If you want to take the first step to making smoke power not suck you are gonna have to remove the "only 33% as efficient as its raw counterpart quirk" or give it any other utility application that can't be done with the normal smoke reaction. The only useful application I can think of right now is being able to beaker cook a smoke bomb with a lighter on command if you only have one beaker so you can't mix two together.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #649984

Itseasytosee2me wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:07 pm
CPTANT wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:01 pm
If you want to take the first step to making smoke power not suck you are gonna have to remove the "only 33% as efficient as its raw counterpart quirk" or give it any other utility application that can't be done with the normal smoke reaction. The only useful application I can think of right now is being able to beaker cook a smoke bomb with a lighter on command if you only have one beaker so you can't mix two together.
That's what I said, smoke powder should be just as effective as smoke, currently its basically useless.
blackdav123
Byond Username: Blackdav123

Post by blackdav123 » #650000

Higadrite is a neat chem with the effect of suppressing the toxin damage caused by liver failure. This would be decently useful in certain situations IF it didnt have the standard 0.4 units per tick consumption rate. Spaceacillin has a similar niche usage and has a rate of 0.04, allowing it to actually be used for the preventive role it was designed for.

Heparin is neat but not often useful because there arent many situations that you could put it into someone then start slashing them. I suppose the best usage would be a large smoke grenade and using it to fight people from inside the smoke with a esword or similar, but even then you might as well just put cyanide or something else dangerous in it. To improve it I think allowing it to speed up all sources of bloodloss instead of just wounds would allow more avenues to killing with it.

One thing I tried to use heparin for that unfortunately didnt work was creating a virus with the Autophagocytosis Necrosis symptom as well as stage speed 7 to make it fill the person with heparin as well, and also the Necrotizing Fasciitis symptom with resistance 7 to cause even more bleeding. Sadly my genius combo only did 1% of the target's blood over the two minutes they had left to live with the two symptoms doing brute damage. Cant a man just have his vampire virus for once?
Weston Echard on Sybil
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #650065

Itseasytosee2me wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:07 pm If you want to take the first step to making smoke power not suck
you are going to have to fix how it calculates the amount of chems to insert into each tile of the smoke cloud to make any sort of sense and be an understandable number