The conversion problem

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.

On a scale of 1 to 5, with 1 being the lowest, how do you feel about conversion gamemodes?

23%
6%
21%
23%
26%

Total votes: 47

ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Re: The conversion problem

Post by ShadowDimentio » #263981

Bottom post of the previous page:

PKPenguin321 wrote:
ShadowDimentio wrote:Gang is hot garbage and no amount of conversion limits will change that.
Gang was god tier and easily my favorite mode for a couple months after it was released, but eventually the meta to play as/against gangs "optimally" set in and killed it
I've said it once I'll say it again: Gang was over the second jobs were rolled, and that's shit.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #263997

I like conversion game modes, but with the way they are made you have to be wary of having their odds of occurring too high.

One time when we had a higher percentage chance of conversion rounds triggering, one issue I found we were having was 'security fatigue'. Playing as security during a conversion game mode can be a high stress event, and constantly going from one conversion round to another as security can quickly take its toll.

There is also how Gang attempted to completely sideline security with implant breakers and similar game play decisions. Instead of supplanting security it instead turned security into a balls to the wall death camp with security oft times acting worse than the very gangs they were trying to stop. With mass executions of innocent people being the norm for the sake of survival.

Fortunately that's not as critical a issue now days, but still the number one OOC complaint I see after any conversion game mode are people complaining about how security acted during the round.

Wish there was a easier way for the HoS to declare Martial Law outside of Red Alert, cause Martial Law is always a mess in real life, which is exactly what happens during a conversion game mode.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #264015

Add (E)RPRevolution.
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #264031

ERP-revolution sounds pretty terrifying to be quite honest.
Spoiler:
Starring Zeela Takk as captain, Miku Frost as HoS and Phoebe Lotsu as CMO.
Bring back papercult.

Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Post by Xhuis » #264102

InsaneHyena wrote:ERP-revolution sounds pretty terrifying to be quite honest.
Spoiler:
Starring Zeela Takk as captain, Miku Frost as HoS and Phoebe Lotsu as CMO.
At least it'd make two of those characters worth the air they waste amirite?

Okay, here's a third edit, Mr. I-Inflate-My-Ego-With-Forum-Posts. Choke on it :^]
Last edited by Xhuis on Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #264139

Huehuehuehuehuehue
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #264480

Last edited by Xhuis on Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #264490

Gangs would be better if they were encouraged not to kill everyone not in their gang. I'd rather not get iced immediately even when I'm still neutral just because its expedient if you don't have a convert pen on you. Gang victory should have not just been based on killing all opposition so you can sit on your dominator.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #264494

Super Aggro Crag wrote:Gangs would be better if they were encouraged not to kill everyone not in their gang. I'd rather not get iced immediately even when I'm still neutral just because its expedient if you don't have a convert pen on you. Gang victory should have not just been based on killing all opposition so you can sit on your dominator.
In a way it isn't considering the more converts you have who actually wear the "OH IM IN THE OTHER GANG" garb the more influence you get, so more converts = good thing
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #264542

Super Aggro Crag wrote:Gangs would be better if they were encouraged not to kill everyone not in their gang. I'd rather not get iced immediately even when I'm still neutral just because its expedient if you don't have a convert pen on you. Gang victory should have not just been based on killing all opposition so you can sit on your dominator.
Gang would be better without implant breakers that just let the top gang snowball indefinitely.

Gang needs implant breakers removed.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #264544

Gang victory should not be a crew defeat.

Perhaps look into making the game punish gangs for recruiting too many members, or for killing off/converting too many members of the crew to a certain threshold.

The more overt you make your gang, the more attention you'll draw from security and then centcom.
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #264568

CPTANT wrote:
Gang would be better without implant breakers that just let the top gang snowball indefinitely.

This goes the other way too, if another gang gets the majority of the converts you have no way to take them back. I'd rather give them a convert maximum.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #264580

XDTM wrote:
CPTANT wrote:

This goes the other way too, if another gang gets the majority of the converts you have no way to take them back. I'd rather give them a convert maximum.

A snowball mechanic is always in favour of whatever has momentum in the first place.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #264685

STOP TRYING TO FIX GANG, IT WILL NEVER BE GOOD.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #264692

With gang being off rotation, it's finally good.
Bring back papercult.

cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #264782

ShadowDimentio wrote:STOP TRYING TO FIX GANG, IT WILL NEVER BE GOOD.
Gang is in a good place right now.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #265029

Yeah, it's removed. It's wonderful.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #265077

Well, the poll and comments have been very representative. Thank you all for the feedback.

Now I have another question for you. The gamemode I'm working on has conversion elements. It even has optional conversion if you invest. What are your thoughts on another conversion mode - even if it's not centered around it - entering the rotation? Maintainers are clashing over it, and some people are saying that conversion modes are banned from being added even though it is not stated anywhere whatsoever.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #265080

I'm perfectly fine with it, as long as clock cult is removed from the rotation first.
Bring back papercult.

Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #265090

Clockcult isn't my jurisdiction anymore. I officially passed it off to Joan last month.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #265092

People saying conversion modes are banned are moronic, denying a good gamemode for having conversion as a potential option? Madness.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #265093

I think it's fair to call Umbrages (please change the name, umbra was vomit and umbrage is dry heaving) a different game mode than shadowling, at this point. It won't play the same, I don't think, But I guess we'll see how it goes. Denying it for being conversion is stupid but calling it a good game mode is way too early of a call at this point
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #265181

I doubt it's going to end up with the common conversion problems (snowballing, antags vs sec deathmatch) as long as conversion is limited.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #265182

conversion is communism