Toxins Bombs

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Toxins Bombs

Post by XDTM » #272124

Toxins is probably the only department that is almost only used by antagonists. The issue i wanted to bring up is that you can't stop a toxin bombing without metagaming or a lucky random search, because:
  • Preventing people from starting toxins or getting TTVs is metagaming, since it would imply you know that toxins is pretty much only used by antags.
  • Restricting TTVs limits the damage but you only really need one to deal shuttle-level chaos, especially if you break hard-to-replace machinery.
  • Preventing people from leaving with a TTV from the lab implies that someone is watching both the entrance and the maint 24/7, which isn't realistic.
At this point our traitor toxin scientist has a bomb in his bag, is outside science, and at any time might drop his bomb and signal it for a maxcap explosion. At no point before this he was valid enough to stop. The only window to stop a toxin bomb traitor is to random search him, if someone bothered to notice his absence from the lab, or hope he's incompetent enough to get his bomb spotted before it is activated.

To prevent this i'd elevate the restriction level on bombs to something that must be approved from the RD before starting. I'd compare it to a dangerous engineering project or adding a law to an AI: entirely possible, but you have to get the Head's permission, or you're doing it clandestinely and can be stopped without repercussion if you're found out.

Before you go "I ded", i haven't logged on for about a week now, it's just something that has been bugging me for a while
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Re: Toxins Bombs

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #272127

XDTM wrote:Toxins is probably the only department that is almost only used by antagonists. The issue i wanted to bring up is that you can't stop a toxin bombing without metagaming or a lucky random search, because:
  • Preventing people from starting toxins or getting TTVs is metagaming, since it would imply you know that toxins is pretty much only used by antags.
  • Restricting TTVs limits the damage but you only really need one to deal shuttle-level chaos, especially if you break hard-to-replace machinery.
  • Preventing people from leaving with a TTV from the lab implies that someone is watching both the entrance and the maint 24/7, which isn't realistic.
At this point our traitor toxin scientist has a bomb in his bag, is outside science, and at any time might drop his bomb and signal it for a maxcap explosion. At no point before this he was valid enough to stop. The only window to stop a toxin bomb traitor is to random search him, if someone bothered to notice his absence from the lab, or hope he's incompetent enough to get his bomb spotted before it is activated.

To prevent this i'd elevate the restriction level on bombs to something that must be approved from the RD before starting. I'd compare it to a dangerous engineering project or adding a law to an AI: entirely possible, but you have to get the Head's permission, or you're doing it clandestinely and can be stopped without repercussion if you're found out.

Before you go "I ded", i haven't logged on for about a week now, it's just something that has been bugging me for a while
"Hey RD, can I get toxins?"
"No you'll just bomb the station."

Just act like you're making them for/taking them to mining.
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #272157

Toxins is terrible yes. What else?
Lazengann
Byond Username: Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #272165

This thread is correct but fuck it just nerf botany again
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #272166

Lazengann wrote:This thread is correct but fuck it just nerf botany again
Ahahahahahahahahah
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #272168

Toxins should be made useful for mining, there were suggestions in the past but none were implemented.

One of them was having treasure coves that required explosives to get in.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #272187

CPTANT wrote:Toxins should be made useful for mining
I've seen toxins bombs turn eighths of Lavaland into blighted orefields filled with dazed, injured monsters, ripe for the harvesting. They really can be useful.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #272196

AnonymousNow wrote:
I've seen toxins bombs turn eighths of Lavaland into blighted orefields filled with dazed, injured monsters, ripe for the harvesting. They really can be useful.
They also lag the everliving fuck out of the server.

In any case, this isn't really a coding issue. Its a policy question and should probably be moved.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #272201

The problem is that there really isn't a legitimate use for bombs in their current state. Miners can use them, but how often does that really happen?
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #272210

Toxins bombs exist pretextually as a means of producing mining charges for blast mining. This is pretextual because, as the OP says, the real reason is to bomb the station or bomb co-op antags like newcops or blob.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #272346

cedarbridge wrote:
AnonymousNow wrote:

In any case, this isn't really a coding issue. Its a policy question and should probably be moved.
No they don't, bomb lag is completely acceptable since they were reworked.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #272351

CPTANT wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:
AnonymousNow wrote:

No they don't, bomb lag is completely acceptable since they were reworked.
Are you sure? I seem to remember a pretty solid lavaland carpet bombing about a week or so ago. When was the rework you're talking about done?
Jazaen
Byond Username: Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #272354

How badly lavaland bombs lag depends on strength, station-side factors, population and just random chance, from what I've noticed.

As for Antags bombing stuff, maybe make standard TTVs useable only on other zlevels or during red alert, and give traitor sci roles an option to purchase an obviously syndicate one for 10 TC or so.
I play:
SMAI-Reactivation (SybilAI)
SMAI-Revolutions (BagilAI)
: Endorsed by Poly, the Parrot! https://twitter.com/Poly_the_Parrot/sta ... 7588301825
Shannah Rader (Sybil geneticist)
Janette Hall (Bagil geneticist)
Also, I'm a Game Admin or something right now. You can tell me how I'm doing here
I seriously hope you don't make the same mistakes I have
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #272415

What I think of this thread is the same as how I feel about the attempts to time lock / remove syndicate bombs. I do not support the removal / restrictions of WMD. I know that this contradicts the idea of having longer rounds, but I rather like the rush of "BOMB IN SEC" or "EXPLOSIONS IN MEDBAY", my favorite being "GOOSE IS LOOSE". It is how I prefer to die, as opposed to being silently beaten to death with a fire extinguisher and spaced.

Maybe I just like seeing large-scale hazards that affect several players at once.
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #272428

cedarbridge wrote:
AnonymousNow wrote:

They only lag the everlivign fuck out of the server if you detonate 6 of them at the same time
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
XDTM
Github User

Post by XDTM » #272438

Gun Hog wrote:What I think of this thread is the same as how I feel about the attempts to time lock / remove syndicate bombs. I do not support the removal / restrictions of WMD. I know that this contradicts the idea of having longer rounds, but I rather like the rush of "BOMB IN SEC" or "EXPLOSIONS IN MEDBAY", my favorite being "GOOSE IS LOOSE". It is how I prefer to die, as opposed to being silently beaten to death with a fire extinguisher and spaced.

Maybe I just like seeing large-scale hazards that affect several players at once.
I'm not necessarily against that, but currently it's pretty much unpreventable without metagaming. (which incidentally was also my issue with the singulo)

Also the excitement is greater if it's done more rarely, and knowing that the bomber had to make an effort makes it much less frustrating.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #272441

Gun Hog wrote:What I think of this thread is the same as how I feel about the attempts to time lock / remove syndicate bombs. I do not support the removal / restrictions of WMD. I know that this contradicts the idea of having longer rounds, but I rather like the rush of "BOMB IN SEC" or "EXPLOSIONS IN MEDBAY", my favorite being "GOOSE IS LOOSE". It is how I prefer to die, as opposed to being silently beaten to death with a fire extinguisher and spaced.

WMDs are ok [for me, at least].

WMDs you can get basically roundstart with little effort are not [See: Turning on PA and wow singulo, doing the Yackem bomb guide and wow several MaxCaps, pressing a button and wow you now have a bomb].
This isn't a code solution silly!
Lazengann wrote:This thread is correct but fuck it just nerf botany again
I know this is a shitpost but if you look at the botany thread you can see my grievances with science [since OP is a known science player].
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #272683

Bombs actually have a purpose now that maxcap is lifted on mining and NOW is the time you decide that toxins needs an overhaul?
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #272687

I knew this was coming as soon as the conversation was forced with syndie bombs being too low effort. You lot are like clockwork in whining about things.

Bombs are fine. Bombings aren't even especially common. Antagonists are supposed to be dangerous and heavily impactful to the round, and you don't get much more impactful than your department getting blown up.

Stop crying about antags, it's getting old.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #272746

ShadowDimentio wrote:I knew this was coming as soon as the conversation was forced with syndie bombs being too low effort. You lot are like clockwork in whining about things.

Bombs are fine. Bombings aren't even especially common. Antagonists are supposed to be dangerous and heavily impactful to the round, and you don't get much more impactful than your department getting blown up.

Stop crying about antags, it's getting old.
stop setting up strawman arguments any time anyone posts a thread where anything remotely critical of how antags work atm is said, it's getting old
Limey wrote:its too late.
XDTM
Github User

Post by XDTM » #272757

I'm hardly saying to remove bombs, just to make bombmaking valid if there's no explicit permission from above, like when i build an AI upload by myself to give the AI meme laws - maybe nobody cares, maybe sec is going to throw me into the gulag, but if the RD agrees i'm safe. (Yeah i should have put this into policy)
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #272813

XDTM wrote:valid
filed the entire post under "shit" right here tbqh
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #272894

Fwoosh actually had a pretty good idea as to how we can legitimize toxins: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10291

Toxins needs to be able to produce legitimate items. Imagine if they could make thermal bombs to rapidly heat up a room that was exposed to space for an extended period of time, cryo bombs to rapidly extinguish fires, etc. The department would be useful to non-antags, and even antags would have a lot more options in their fuckery.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #272895

FWOOSH IS LAUGHING AT YOU ALL NOW
XDTM
Github User

Post by XDTM » #272898

I agree with Luke, actual helpful feaures would make it a legit department.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #273437

I think the syndi bombs should be removed personally, it takes all the robustness out of making bombs.
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #273465

oranges wrote:I think the syndi bombs should be removed personally, it takes all the robustness out of making bombs.
wtf i like oranges now???
Limey wrote:its too late.
Doctor Pork
Byond Username: Doctor_Pork

Post by Doctor Pork » #273474

I like bombs. More fun than desword murderbone.
oranges wrote:pork, the nondescript, commoner king, literally so stealth you could just your normal name in OOC and nobody would know, long may he reign as the secret commander
Deitus wrote:If your signature is scrollable it's too long and fucking obnoxious and you should feel bad
Link to my feedback thread. Go there.
PKPenguin321 wrote:I've been had by yet another tg boondoggle
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #273478

Doctor Pork wrote:I like bombs. More fun than desword murderbone.
Its not really a question of "yes bombs" or "no bombs." The primary complaint in this thread (and a valid one) is "please no more roundstart everything explodes mash dat fuckkin like shuttle call buttan"
calzilla1
Byond Username: Calzilla1

Post by calzilla1 » #273488

Remove bombcap but make bombs a large (like a canister) item
Life is too short for anything meaningful and too long for anything memeingful
Super Aggro Crag wrote: The best shitpost youll ever be responsible for will be your obituary.
Quality debate brought to you by ColonicAcid wrote:imagine having this little empathy

do you have autism bud? does your brain not see these people as humans? are they just a faceless statistic to you?
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #273493

I actually wouldn't mind bombs at all really if the game didn't make you wait to call the shuttle with no exceptions [such as bombs!].
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #273494

If toxins bombs took 15-20 minutes to cook rather than 5 that would be nice
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #273586

We already have toxin bomb solutions to this. Just make toxin's bombs more interesting rather than flat out explosive bombs so that we can use them against a variety of antagonists like blobs for instance. Suggestion:Toxins rehaul with liquid gas

- For blobs with chemical resistances, raw explosive blasts wont do anything so create a bomb that spits out large amounts of reagents to counteract.

But yes, personally as RD i demand constant reports on allocated/working toxins scientists and shut down the room via APC if it's being violated to further use or there are bombing incidents on the space station (false flags like syndie bombs also mean that toxins is shut off) but the toxins bomb range only has a limited lifespan and im not sure if anybody actually knows how to apply it.

Meta-knowledge of plasma mixes also kind of bottlenecked the learning aspect of toxins too, since once you have the maxcap or a potent mix you don't need anything else and its just a manufacturing outpost. No experimentation (which my toxins rework suggestion hopes to address with different applications for gas chemistry that can be canistered up as well as used by valve bombs)

Spoiler:
XDTM
Github User

Post by XDTM » #273595

cedarbridge wrote:
Its not really a question of "yes bombs" or "no bombs." The primary complaint in this thread (and a valid one) is "please no more roundstart everything explodes mash dat fuckkin like shuttle call buttan"
While i also agree on that, my point here was that toxin bombings are currently just not preventable policy-wise.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #273601

Or actively IC wise with scientists who want to do it have to be physically restrained or demoted from office.

Spoiler:
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #273653

XDTM wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:
While i also agree on that, my point here was that toxin bombings are currently just not preventable policy-wise.
This gets worse with health sensor bombs. Now, even if you catch the bomber before everything explodes, there's a good chance the asshole rigged all of his bombs to a deadman switch and the station explodes when you stop him.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #273655

But that's a legitimate function of signallers, also they can be caught alive and disarmed of their health sensor that needs to be on their person.

Spoiler:
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #273696

FantasticFwoosh wrote:But that's a legitimate function of signallers, also they can be caught alive and disarmed of their health sensor that needs to be on their person.
That's why you keep a voice sensor trigger too
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #273697

What if process of crafting toxin bombs was randomized to make it actually about experimenting and not following pastebin to the letter?
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
XDTM
Github User

Post by XDTM » #273699

Toxins needs to do something else, bombs aren't enough to be worth a department. And i don't mean more colourful or different bombs, i mean something that gives the department a reason to be called toxins, since it could easily be pyrotechnics right now. Maybe gas-produced and/or plasma-based mutative toxins which grant powerful benefits but also powerful drawbacks, temporary or permanent.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #273712

*POINTS AGGRESSIVELY AT IDEA THREAD ---> RE: Toxins rehaul with liquid gas<----

No more genetics memes, thats just faux jokeresque dunk in chems to be crazy as your superpower esque stuff you''re suggesting XDTM

Spoiler:
XDTM
Github User

Post by XDTM » #273715

XDTM wrote:And i don't mean more colourful or different bombs
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #273716

Toxin's is supposed to be science's plasma research sector right?

Maybe have it change plasma gas into different form with different effects, a concentrated plasma that burns hotter but for shorter periods, a energized plasma that powers everything around it, a hydrated plasma that coats everything in plasma reagent.

expand what plasma can do, make toxins about exploring those new transformations.
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #273732

XDTM wrote:Toxins needs to do something else, bombs aren't enough to be worth a department. And i don't mean more colourful or different bombs, i mean something that gives the department a reason to be called toxins, since it could easily be pyrotechnics right now. Maybe gas-produced and/or plasma-based mutative toxins which grant powerful benefits but also powerful drawbacks, temporary or permanent.
Bring back the tank of BZ and Freon!

And Agent B and Volatile Fuel while we're at it because I'm still not sure what those do.

I might just miss getting to make freon/plasma/flame throwers.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #273916

Nabski wrote: Agent B
Hot Co2 -> o2
Nabski wrote: Volatile Fuel
it make fire good.
fire git guder.
big flame.

yeah that's literally it they're one use-case gases that just makes fires burn with more energy (more energy is more heat for fires)/ turn co2 into o2
私は完璧
Knaive
Byond Username: Knaive

Post by Knaive » #274046

bring back fusion so we can make fusion bombs
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #274177

OH MY GOD KNAIVES IS ALAIVES
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #274201

confused rock wrote:
Knaive wrote:bring back fusion so we can make fusion bombs
Spoiler:

But yeah, unless Toxins is reworked, its virtually never used on any other round without antagonistic intent, and the distance & clearance to carry bombs all the way to mining to put in the hands of fallible miners who already have overpowered content.
Thankfully i have a solution to deliver toxins products to mining without actually having to hand them over

Spoiler:
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #274222

Make fusion possible only within a special environment so that you need to build a burn chamber setup to trigger it.
Then add an ops-only traitor item that acts as portable fusion containment unit.
Build-your-own nuke.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
XDTM
Github User

Post by XDTM » #274227

FantasticFwoosh wrote:
confused rock wrote:
Spoiler:

But yeah, unless Toxins is reworked, its virtually never used on any other round without antagonistic intent, and the distance & clearance to carry bombs all the way to mining to put in the hands of fallible miners who already have overpowered content.
Thankfully i have a solution to deliver toxins products to mining without actually having to hand them over
Miners using bombs antagonistically does not fall under the issue i pointed out, because if you don't want to risk miners bombing stuff, all you have to do is not make bombs. The issue, again, is that if someone feels like making a bomb to bring to security, nobody can really say no until it's too late to detect and stop, or they'll be labelled a metagamer.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka