Remove the Veterinarian and Beach Bum roles

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Re: Remove the Veterinarian and Beach Bum roles

Post by Anonmare » #313606

Bottom post of the previous page:

Yeah but that takes time and effort. The abductor ruin would be like the Syndie ruin - ready to go. Even though golems could technically do 2/3 of what the syndie ruin does.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #326710

Neither of these roles have enough content to make them exciting on their own. They're only used on the off chance that mining may be nearby or a miner has made it there giving them an easy path back to actual good content. A crashed vet ship could be an okay ruin for medical loot however as a ghost role it is not good.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #326771

BeeSting12 wrote:Neither of these roles have enough content to make them exciting on their own. They're only used on the off chance that mining may be nearby or a miner has made it there giving them an easy path back to actual good content. A crashed vet ship could be an okay ruin for medical loot however as a ghost role it is not good.
The vets are probably the only one of the 3 generic human ghost roles (castaway, beach bum, and vet) that you can actually survive lavaland with.

There is enough medical supplies that you can actually use melee effectively and there is enough wood to make a shield, that coupled with 15 force weapons make it the only ghost role I have successfully lived on lavaland with.

that being said, it should be tweaked to make more sense in universe, possibly a crashed hospital ship? a Nanotrasen medical outpost?
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #326773

Dr_bee wrote:
BeeSting12 wrote:Neither of these roles have enough content to make them exciting on their own. They're only used on the off chance that mining may be nearby or a miner has made it there giving them an easy path back to actual good content. A crashed vet ship could be an okay ruin for medical loot however as a ghost role it is not good.
The vets are probably the only one of the 3 generic human ghost roles (castaway, beach bum, and vet) that you can actually survive lavaland with.

There is enough medical supplies that you can actually use melee effectively and there is enough wood to make a shield, that coupled with 15 force weapons make it the only ghost role I have successfully lived on lavaland with.

that being said, it should be tweaked to make more sense in universe, possibly a crashed hospital ship? a Nanotrasen medical outpost?
either would be better, yet still would not have much content. maybe a chem lab but that would sorta go into the syndicate ship's niche.

atlanta ned can i get stats on how many people actually play the animal roles. i think theres a mouse/cow role or something that never seems to be played
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #326811

because it has no gameplay like the doctors do.

Chem lab wouldn't work because unlike the syndicate base, doctors are encouraged to actively leave and meta-knowledge their way back so expect some shitty situations where doctors beeline all the way back to attack people with death-chems.

Spoiler:
Hulkamania
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Hulkamania

Post by Hulkamania » #326880

I recently tried to check out the beach bum ruin for fun, I saw another player had spawned in. I found out firsthand that we couldn't communicate with each other because of the language barrier and he quickly went off to die in the wastes. The Vet hospital is funny the first time you see it, but as soon as you get inside you realize there is zero depth at all. The most fun you can hope for outside making a trek to the station is if an injured miner happens to roll in and you patch them up (when they're just going to patch themselves anyway)
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #326882

Cycle of meme ghost roles
  • Headmin/coder wants to be funny so he/she/xe can hang out with the cool contributor kids in IRC/starved of attetion praise
  • Makes a if nothing else usuallly artistically appealing but horrendous to play ghost role which the whole premise is a in-joke few people know or can appreciate
  • Said person blocks it from being removed until the end of time or there's a unanimous decree to remove it because "improve dont remove"

Spoiler:
Hulkamania
In-Game Game Master

Post by Hulkamania » #326887

FantasticFwoosh wrote:Cycle of meme ghost roles
  • Headmin/coder wants to be funny so he/she/xe can hang out with the cool contributor kids in IRC/starved of attetion praise
  • Makes a if nothing else usuallly artistically appealing but horrendous to play ghost role which the whole premise is a in-joke few people know or can appreciate
  • Said person blocks it from being removed until the end of time or there's a unanimous decree to remove it because "improve dont remove"
While I might agree that beach bum and vet are totally garbage, I think using your overtly hostile rhetoric while trying to convince the people who have the power to change it isn't going to do you any favors.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #326896

Slime farm ruin?!?!
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Hulkamania
In-Game Game Master

Post by Hulkamania » #326897

Lifebringers start as pod people, you could potentially have a slimeperson in a slime ruin.

As for the proposed "engineering tutorial" ruin, although we do already have the derelict and the abandoned station, you could again incorporate the different races. We already have android and synth races we barely ever see, why not include those with the goal of getting a sustainable power source online?

Give them an ore redemption machine, a PACMAN and make them mine for the ores to run it with.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #326902

There may not be a nessecity to assign a race per ghost role (given sometimes extra details go into them like ashwalkers lizard divide are quite different) but its by far more imaginative and functional than the already discussed topic of existing ghost ruins that facilitate nothing other than to run to the station with metaknoweldge and are only sold on that fact.

About my manner i could only really comment that after sitting in IRC and other podiums there's enough thick-headedness and stubborness by members of the community that its reasonable force, not least a small bit contributed by myself.

Spoiler: