Catpeople should be their own species on the setup menu

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Catpeople should be their own species on the setup menu

Post by BeeSting12 » #282042

Okay so I was having a conversation in deadchat with someone who got killed by a cyborg. They had a tail and did not realize it made them nonhuman under Asimov because of the way the setup menu is made- While you're a human, you can add the mutant traits, not making it clear that you are nonhuman. The cat race should be changed to be a different race instead of a mutant trait that is added onto the human. This would change nothing about the way that catpeople look or how they are under policy/what jobs they can choose. This would just change the way you choose them as a race on the setup menu to make it more intuitive for newer players. Thanks for reading and if anyone can do this before I can then feel free to do it, I'm kinda scared to touch to species code.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Re: Catpeople should be their own species on the setup menu

Post by cedarbridge » #282044

BeeSting12 wrote:Okay so I was having a conversation in deadchat with someone who got killed by a cyborg. They had a tail and did not realize it made them nonhuman under Asimov because of the way the setup menu is made- While you're a human, you can add the mutant traits, not making it clear that you are nonhuman. The cat race should be changed to be a different race instead of a mutant trait that is added onto the human. This would change nothing about the way that catpeople look or how they are under policy/what jobs they can choose. This would just change the way you choose them as a race on the setup menu to make it more intuitive for newer players. Thanks for reading and if anyone can do this before I can then feel free to do it, I'm kinda scared to touch to species code.
The problem is that cats aren't actually their own species datum so you can't shoehorn them into the system. They're a mutant race of human. If you want to get around that just make a note about it on the wiki.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #282051

they're not a species, they're not even a mutant race.

The cat ears and cat tail are tests of a feature that was meant to provide for appearance quirks like the frills/horns for lizards but for humans, the intent being for people to have facial tattoos or similar.

Some madman admin turned them on without asking us.

We will strongly resist any attempt to turn them into a full mutant species.
BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #282052

they're being treated as one in the server policy though. they should get their own race, it'd be just as easy to disable it, I'd assume. unless of course it's very hard to code in which case, never mind.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #282053

that is not our problem, if the server admins want to turn on debug features and then have issues with policy that is entirely their fault, server policy will rarely if ever dictate how code is structured/functions and if you ask me this is analogous to the hulk situation, where a person who gets hulked can be considered non human.

Most people don't seem to struggle with that concept past their first encounter with it.
Xhagi
Byond Username: Aliannera

Post by Xhagi » #282066

No.
Professional Catgirl and Gayboy Supreme.
BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #282067

Aliannera wrote:No.
thank you for the constructive feedback
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:

hows my driving?
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #282070

BeeSting12 wrote:
Aliannera wrote:No.
thank you for the constructive feedback
I mean, you were already told why not. I'm not sure what else you're looking for here.
BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #282076

I already got the answer, saying "No" isn't helping. I got it with an actual reason from a code maintainer and that's that
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:

hows my driving?
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #282085

Yeah stupid admins get out
calzilla1
Byond Username: Calzilla1

Post by calzilla1 » #282103

Yes, for extra lynching and bulge noticing
Life is too short for anything meaningful and too long for anything memeingful
Super Aggro Crag wrote: The best shitpost youll ever be responsible for will be your obituary.
Quality debate brought to you by ColonicAcid wrote:imagine having this little empathy

do you have autism bud? does your brain not see these people as humans? are they just a faceless statistic to you?
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #282128

No
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #282185

catpeople should be slugs
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #282289

can i remove the test feature now since we added actual usage cases of the feature that doesn't play into someone's fetish?
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #282293

iamgoofball wrote:can i remove the test feature now since we added actual usage cases of the feature that doesn't play into someone's fetish?
the more you try and claim it's for fetishistic reasons the less credibility you have, which knowing you, is astonishing.
私は完璧
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #282309

Cats r dumb tbqh
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #282363

whats the test feature
BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #282371

It was apparently added to test out adding things such as frills and horns on lizards or whatever. This thread can be locked now, we're done here. I got an answer from a code maintainer and that's that.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:

hows my driving?
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #282372

confused rock wrote:whats the test feature
Cat ears/tail were added to test the ability to add features to character mobs. The cat stuff was the test model and the features that followed, (lizard frills, body markings, etc) are a product of that. It will be eventually incorporated into any other species added to the game that have interchangeable features in the same way.
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #282393

I'm 100% A FUCKING OKAY with having catpeople be nonhuman.

You want cat ears and to be named kitty mcmeowzers don't be upset when the robots lynch you for killing someone
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #282398

Bombadil wrote:I'm 100% A FUCKING OKAY with having catpeople be nonhuman.

You want cat ears and to be named kitty mcmeowzers don't be upset when the robots lynch you for killing someone
That's not what this thread is about. Catpeople are already non-human under policy. The OPs complaint is that they appear on character creation as a human with the option to add cat features.
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #282402

cedarbridge wrote:
Bombadil wrote:I'm 100% A FUCKING OKAY with having catpeople be nonhuman.

That's not what this thread is about. Catpeople are already non-human under policy. The OPs complaint is that they appear on character creation as a human with the option to add cat features.
Oh in that case I feel like that really isn't the responsibility of coderbus it's on the person for not reading the rules of the server. Coderbus can't cater solely to the policy of /tg/
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
TrustyGun
Byond Username: TrustyGun

Post by TrustyGun » #282442

It should imo, as just a change to make it clearer and consistent to newer players.

Though the eyes of an uneducated player, I can conpletely see where the confusion comes from. Lizards, the other race w/ customization are all lizards no matter their tail/color/etc. So why are humans with cat features different from your regular old human?

Keep in mind, this isnt me giving out my support to any one side (in fact, I dislike cat ears and tails!).
Usually Julian Mackabee or K.I.N.G
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #282455

TrustyGun wrote:It should imo, as just a change to make it clearer and consistent to newer players.

Though the eyes of an uneducated player, I can conpletely see where the confusion comes from. Lizards, the other race w/ customization are all lizards no matter their tail/color/etc. So why are humans with cat features different from your regular old human?

Keep in mind, this isnt me giving out my support to any one side (in fact, I dislike cat ears and tails!).
I'm the resident "please consider new players" shill admin so you have my support
Limey wrote:its too late.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #282528

Just have a big fuckin red message appear on the character setup screen if the player picks any combination of traits that makes them nonhuman to silicons and tells them Your character is non-human.
Silicons operating under the default Asimov lawset are not required to protect you or follow your orders.
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #282542

Cat feature is literally on thin ice, most coders and admins barely tolerate it, all it takes is a single headmin or coder to turn it off forever and you can kiss it goodbye. So play cat while you can and cherish every second of it because it can really be the last. Drawing attention to the feature and asking for tweaks or policy changes only makes the clock tick faster towards its inevitable final removal.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #282546

Grazyn wrote:Cat feature is literally on thin ice, most coders and admins barely tolerate it
That's a pretty authoritative statement without a citation.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #282552

cedarbridge wrote:
Grazyn wrote:Cat feature is literally on thin ice, most coders and admins barely tolerate it
It's not even true either.
it's just oranges and goof are loud, doesn't mean they're "most" people.
私は完璧
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #282553

After my last rant meltdown you probably have a inkling i don't like catpeople, im willing to behave & debate this fairly.

This lurching midway on now barely mutants but still human between the two is ENTIRELY personal-coding since under gooncode it'd be a Bio-Effect (a system we don't have), and besides the reasons that people might try to make it unique as a race, it seems quite evident from the endless feedback everyone gets maintainers,coders and players are uncomfortable with admins pernamently changing someones personal character.

> I've had rounds where everyone was turned into a catified being for no reason other than admin amusement without even a centcomm message, though it does not affect my ability to play id rather not be distracted with the IC aesthetic implications for my immersion. (In the cast of removing the lizard tail *if it does that i forget* its actually a game balance changing effect)

> If you want to keep cat-people abstract to catify effects with a full species merge, then fine. But please allow us a way to remove the features without constantly bothering you the maintainers and coders to remove catpeople. I swear to you, that people will start mass-removing catpeople effects as soon as they are affected with it.
We literally removed the cat ears item that did the same effect to create a racey-wacey barnyard version because it tickles somoene's fancy. Its not a feature and all staff refuses to acknowledge it as a feature to back up the point. I like being my roundstart race. Remove the mass catify button please because admins do not deserve that power to infringe on players personal characters in such a way, literally every other way OTHER than permanently perverting a character that some people take very seriously.

> The people voted for a ability to have cat ears by choice in roundstart, not to be randomly disfigured. Kor's has already removed cat ears from command roles by creating lines of code to purify them into the human basetype, which tells us that the affection to cat ear memes is not universal and self promoted cat ear captains are not kosher by law or bare minimum roleplaying standards. (lizards for example)

Spoiler:
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #282557

cedarbridge wrote:
You must have noticed that every thread or PR about cats attracts an aura of negativity and sharp comments, some from powerful coders and maintainers. It doesn't help that the last time cats were removed for literally no reason by a single admin, it took nearly two months to re-enable them, and this was when cats were at their peak of popularity.

If you think cats are a beloved staple feature of TG, you are delusional. They are on thin ice and they're one drama thread away from being permanently removed.
Kyrah Abattoir
Byond Username: KyrahAbattoir

Post by Kyrah Abattoir » #282558

Such a "community driven" project.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #282560

Grazyn wrote: You must have noticed that every thread or PR about cats attracts an aura of negativity and sharp comments, some from powerful coders and maintainers. It doesn't help that the last time cats were removed for literally no reason by a single admin, it took nearly two months to re-enable them, and this was when cats were at their peak of popularity.

If you think cats are a beloved staple feature of TG, you are delusional. They are on thin ice and they're one drama thread away from being permanently removed.
Im of the opinion that the person who pushed this feature onto us in the transition from (cute optional cat ear item in some vendors for the ear slot) to - "every round admins are bored they give everyone mutant body parts for fun unannounced" should be gitbanned or otherwise reprimanded for making the community so unhappy, if not just for a act to show that staff care about feedback.

- Alternatively let us melt our ears off, or surgically remove cat ears in a operation.

Spoiler:
Kyrah Abattoir

Post by Kyrah Abattoir » #282565

FantasticFwoosh wrote:
Grazyn wrote: You must have noticed that every thread or PR about cats attracts an aura of negativity and sharp comments, some from powerful coders and maintainers. It doesn't help that the last time cats were removed for literally no reason by a single admin, it took nearly two months to re-enable them, and this was when cats were at their peak of popularity.

Im of the opinion that the person who pushed this feature onto us in the transition from (cute optional cat ear item in some vendors for the ear slot) to - "every round admins are bored they give everyone mutant body parts for fun unannounced" should be gitbanned or otherwise reprimanded for making the community so unhappy, if not just for a act to show that staff care about feedback.

- Alternatively let us melt our ears off, or surgically remove cat ears in a operation.
You should really stick to your "Ideas" topics.

Also... admins have access to the server configuration? I naively thought that only the host could make persistent configuration changes.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #282570

another classic fwoosh post, I quite liked his comment about bio-effects in goon code, top quality
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #282573

Just a opinion of myself. Ill go back and highlight it in bold if i need to, in a position to do anything with rogue coders id haul out the person/people responsible, make them issue a public forum apology, revert and leave it open to revision for when there's actually a good reason to add it.

(I mean yes i understand that by playing on the server you rescind your rights for admins not to screw with you within rule boundaries, but mass-catifying people irreversibly is poor taste)

But why isn't there a cat person operation for the ears & groin if its not meant to be a pernament feature or even a feature? Ill get on the phone to iamgoofball.

Spoiler:
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #282600

Kyrah Abattoir wrote:
FantasticFwoosh wrote:

You should really stick to your "Ideas" topics.

Also... admins have access to the server configuration? I naively thought that only the host could make persistent configuration changes.
lzimann wasn't a host and he disabled cats single-handedly
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #282607

The sequence of events was

Ricotez adds them as a test part for the mutation system

MSO enables them on basil to try and lure people to populate it. They are counted as human at this time.

Shadowlight (headmin) enables them on sybil

Lzimann (headmin), in a later term, disables cat ears on his way out

Next set of headmins vote to re-enable them but count them as non human as a compromise to people who dislike them (which I personally think is confusing as no other mutations outside of hulk make people non human and they had counted as human for a year before that)

So just lots of people pushing and pulling in different ways until we hit a weird arbitrary balance, which is generally how things work here.
Kyrah Abattoir

Post by Kyrah Abattoir » #282618

I could probably make them their own specie but what are the chances of that PR ever going through right?
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #282620

Just make it extreme plastic surgery, catpeople don't exist its just a bunch of weaboo wannabes, which fits into the lore & reality. I was having this discussion in coderbus with Antur & co. Remove & add with plastic surgery and you have no grounds to substantiate it as a race (along with other edge cases & body modifcation such as space elves with just surgically altered ears), and a way to remove + add it without resorting to buttons or genetics

Its not a genetic trait you can manipulate which is a important thing, basically you cannot turn it off if it is forced onto you currently without literally switching your ckey body with a brain transplant and injecting a SE of your dna to alter your appearance back to normal.

Spoiler:
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #282635

No. Inviting furry drama and splitting the community is the only outcome to this.
BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #282638

It changes nothing to how catpeople are played, their human status, policy, or anything. Just changes how you select the species. But, as oranges as said about 30 posts ago, it's not going to happen. And Fwoosh I'm not even sure what you're posting about but we need a containment ideas thread for you or some shit.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:

hows my driving?
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #282664

BeeSting12 wrote:It changes nothing to how catpeople are played, their human status, policy, or anything.
"Cat-people" Aka people who otherwise are descended from or share traits with cats dont exist, we shouldn't even refer to them by that name because they are not people or persons, not a recognised race. There's still the issue that you can't remove the mutant parts after they are put onto you, being a Neko doesn't offer you any special treatment other than perhaps the affection of other people who favour Neko. AI has its rules against mutants and (kor is right to point out discrepencies) can't discriminate against neko.
Oldman Robustin wrote:No. Inviting furry drama and splitting the community is the only outcome to this.
The way im starting to see it, is that you need to be open to everything now (we live in strange times), but disregard the Neko genetic disposition and just see it as a social state of being, like have a in game gender or identity change different to your base identity. Gender swapping was fine until goof pushed it into a slime potion and then lots of people ribbed him over the SS13 digg when the story got out for being a accused non social progressive and a bit of a bigot. (catch myself almost sound like a SJW)

Half of me though thinks admins avoid it to stop forum complaining & drama, just a case of Lzimann doesn't care about backlash so the absolute madman disabled it. (Make SS13 great again!)
Last edited by FantasticFwoosh on Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spoiler:
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #282673

FantasticFwoosh wrote:> I've had rounds where everyone was turned into a catified being for no reason other than admin amusement without even a centcomm message, though it does not affect my ability to play id rather not be distracted with the IC aesthetic implications for my immersion. (In the cast of removing the lizard tail *if it does that i forget* its actually a game balance changing effect)
I mean, we could just go the /vg/ route, port Tajarans and make them valid.
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #282676

FantasticFwoosh wrote:
BeeSting12 wrote:It changes nothing to how catpeople are played, their human status, policy, or anything.
"Cat-people" Aka people who otherwise are descended from or share traits with cats dont exist, we shouldn't even refer to them by that name because they are not people or persons, not a recognised race.
They're non-human mutant race policy wise, but lorewise it isn't cut and clear, they could be cat people from Cat Planet for all I know
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #282678

The lack of a transparency is a critical issue because it gives ammo to both sides for & against sovereign race catpeople and a never ending contrived barrage of begging to maintainers to take action.

Spoiler:
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #282682

FantasticFwoosh wrote:sovereign race catpeople
oh boy here we go
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #282692

The slippery slope doesn't exist, they said.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #282838

Long since erased from the records of time, there once existed two European clans who served as overseers of history for the powers that be: The Neko Cat Girls, dwellers of the darkness, and the Slippery Slope Sages, controllers of light.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #282854

Goofball was right again.
Bring back papercult.

DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #282858

InsaneHyena wrote:Goofball was right again.
>goofball
>right
>ever
just when i start to think you're capable of being less than completely wrong you do this
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler: