Catpeople should be their own species on the setup menu

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Re: Catpeople should be their own species on the setup menu

Post by DemonFiren » #282858

Bottom post of the previous page:

InsaneHyena wrote:Goofball was right again.
>goofball
>right
>ever
just when i start to think you're capable of being less than completely wrong you do this
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Iatots
Byond Username: Iatots
Github Username: Iatots

Post by Iatots » #283138

cedarbridge wrote:
FantasticFwoosh wrote:> I've had rounds where everyone was turned into a catified being for no reason other than admin amusement without even a centcomm message, though it does not affect my ability to play id rather not be distracted with the IC aesthetic implications for my immersion. (In the cast of removing the lizard tail *if it does that i forget* its actually a game balance changing effect)
I mean, we could just go the /vg/ route, port Tajarans and make them valid.
You mean the hippie route.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #283161

Iatots wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:
FantasticFwoosh wrote:> I've had rounds where everyone was turned into a catified being for no reason other than admin amusement without even a centcomm message, though it does not affect my ability to play id rather not be distracted with the IC aesthetic implications for my immersion. (In the cast of removing the lizard tail *if it does that i forget* its actually a game balance changing effect)
I mean, we could just go the /vg/ route, port Tajarans and make them valid.
You mean the hippie route.
/vg/ predates that garbage fire by a long shot.
Iatots
Byond Username: Iatots
Github Username: Iatots

Post by Iatots » #283168

Seniority status on "muh valids: the feature" was not the point of my post.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #283170

Iatots wrote:Seniority status on "muh valids: the feature" was not the point of my post.
Given that it really only exists for roughly the same reason as the Cluwne I figured I point in mentioning it was clear.
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #283458

I fail to understand how separating humans and catpeople codewise would be worse than having them be humans in code but nonhumans in policy.

It's literally no ingame change except they're selected differently, people understand they're nonhuman (currently a new player would see the customization option on humans, how would you expect them to know they suddenly become nonhuman because of that) and the code would be nicer to handle (when selecting a catperson on a headrole currently the game removes ears and tail, instead, of, you know, preventing them from signing up like lizards, because they're the same species type as humans).

I just feel like it's odd that oranges would be against having two distinct races codewise, there's nothing to lose from anyone there.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Tokiko2
Byond Username: Tokiko1

Post by Tokiko2 » #283470

What if you want to play a monkey person and just use a tail? Do you count as a cat or not?
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #283487

If a catperson is a lizard then its merely a lizard with mutant parts, angels (from the angelic wings on mining) practically need to have them definited in order to work and fly but cats do not, for example if we introduced a cats eye feature for catpeople, it is no longer a human because its practical physiology has been changed different from a human.

Hulks & genetic powers are just effects, bio effects (link to examples of goonstations code), its altering your genetic code but it doesn't actually change your race.

Ashwalkers & lizards have the same code, but ashwalkers have different tags and therefore are a seperate race. I still strongly stand behind the fact its a bizzare form of personal body modification rather than a actual genetic fixture (unless people want to go there).

Spoiler: