Borg "Speedwagon" free access piggyback rides

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Re: Borg "Speedwagon" free access piggyback rides

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #283513

Bottom post of the previous page:

FantasticFwoosh wrote: Engineer borg/rider either smashes the console into scrap and spaces the board or pockets it for themselves/decons & disposes. If there is no R&D up like how you might find on a round or the borg DELIBERATELY dicks with the research server to delete the cyborg console entry then you're screwed for that plan cedar. (if i wasn't there i think they would have spaced the ion gun too from my anecdote)

Spoiler:
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #283515

oranges wrote:Did you people forgot borgs can be locked down by the RD or the AI?
Didn't you hear them oranges? Borgs are unstoppable megazords with 3 active hands that cannot be stopped no matter what and always have a bolted shocked airlock between you and them but somehow manage to instakill you with an esword at the same time.

I want this anti-borg hysteria to leave. The thread has just become fwoosh inventing a more and more extreme scenario where a borg is loaded up on every possible upgrade (like the vtec that nobody even installs anymore) carts around an antag loaded up on every possible useful thing and using every form of preparation to prevent being stopped goes on some sort of juggernaut-like rampage. If all of this prep and all of these stars align, then they've done the work to earn the reward. Stop pretending that this increasingly hysterical story is anything even approaching typical or even correct.
Last edited by cedarbridge on Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aloraydrel
Byond Username: Aloraydrel
Github Username: Aloraydrel

Post by Aloraydrel » #283516

How are people so shit they can't get a flashbang off on a borg and then stun the driver?
J_Madison
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Akesson

Post by J_Madison » #283518

cedarbridge wrote:
oranges wrote:Did you people forgot borgs can be locked down by the RD or the AI?
Didn't you hear them oranges? Borgs are unstoppable megazords with 3 active hands that cannot be stopped no matter what and always have a bolted shocked airlock between you and them but somehow manage to instakill you with an esword at the same time.

I want this anti-borg hysteria to leave.
J_Mad challenge coming up.
You spawn me as a borg, you play 5 rounds and I'll play as a borg that will try and space your ass.

All the flashbangs and flashes in the world, I garuantee you won't stun me with it.
Aloraydrel wrote:How are people so shit they can't get a flashbang off on a borg and then stun the driver?
You can see the flashbang, hear the flashbang, and move away from the flashbang when it lands on the floor.

Due to BYOND being finnicky with the ticks, it is very difficult to cook a flashbang without stunning yourself.
Not to mention a borg can easily open and boltclose a door behind them. If flashbanging someone with all access is hard, flashbanging someone with electronic access is harder.

People lose to flashbangs because there's nowhere to run.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #283523

You misread, i never claimed it had 3 active hands, i said it had 3 active slots (which means active hand with 3 potential weapons), you're exaggerating the content as much as you're claiming i am.

Without oranges changes, they have virtually two active hands at once (the traitor & borg's active hand) to hit you with or do opposing actions with (one stuns with a baton, the other clubs you) where combat even at its most robust is only configured for someone to use 1 hand at a time in a 1v1. This is bringing two vastly different opponents to a fight then having them both whale on you at the same time within the same tile, you'd need to bring backup to equalise the odds not in your favour to this forced encounter not blocked by ID access, doors or anything.

> Even so the flashbang probably wont give you enough of a window of time to effectively kill the borg threat & the traitor without focusing 1 or the other, if the traitor/borg whips out a stun and you're unloading a riot shotgun on either then you're finished.

Spoiler:
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #283527

okay so just to be sure here, the virtual situation we have constructed is:

A) security has used every single flashbang they have
B) the person in question has subverted the AI or they've deconstructed the Borg Control Console
D) they've neutralised the ION rifle
E) they've somehow destroyed chemistry to prevent EMP chems being made
F) The HoS doesn't have his door remote
G) None of the officers can hit the person or the borg with weapons
H) You didn't notice I missed C
Slignerd
Github User
Byond Username: Slignerd
Github Username: Slignerd

Post by Slignerd » #283528

I think we got too far into deeper borg balance, when the usual state of things is that it's simply annoying to see a borg give the clown all access rides.
It would appear that I'm a high RP weeb who hates roleplay and anime.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #283530

EMP requires mining (or otherwise very intensive botany) for uranium, please alter the content of E, to the miners are dead/murdered.

The HOS having a door remote (or any remote) is only as effective as fast the borg can hotkey to unbolt, or navigates around, with application of borg utilities too. The borg/AI can also just shut off the power and crowbar in.

A, B & D are okayish points. G is variable.
Sligneris wrote:I think we got too far into deeper borg balance, when the usual state of things is that it's simply annoying to see a borg give the clown all access rides.
A little bit yes, whole heartedly agree. Free access rides IS the purpose of the speedwagon vehicle in its basic form.
Last edited by FantasticFwoosh on Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spoiler:
Aloraydrel

Post by Aloraydrel » #283535

J_Madison wrote: BYOND being finnicky with the ticks, it is very difficult to cook a flashbang without stunning yourself.
It's not really. it's a 5 second timer
J_Madison
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Akesson

Post by J_Madison » #283550

Aloraydrel wrote:
J_Madison wrote: BYOND being finnicky with the ticks, it is very difficult to cook a flashbang without stunning yourself.
It's not really. it's a 5 second timer
I can see you with the flashbang. I can hear you pull the pin. I can also run into a airlock and bolt it behind me, activate fire arms, depower entire areas, shock doors, the whole nine yards.

There is absolutely no way for aware borg to be stunned by a flashbang. Not in 6 months of gameplay have I seen it.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #283570

Just make clicking a borg cause the rider to fall off
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #283575

PK that doesn't work because in JMad's world security officers can't hit the borg with anything like a laser or a shotgun, it's simply too agile

so clicking on it would be impossible as well
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #283583

I've been stunned plenty of times as a borg by a flashbang, it's not anywhere close to being impossible - just cook your damn grenade for literally one second before you toss it and speed/airlocks are not an issue. VTEC is so rarely installed it's a non-issue and it's actually too damn fast; you can't control where you're going.

Just make it require a rider to have two hands free to ride while riding and call it a day, problem solved.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #283620

> Cooking nades, getting good and people seeing you are going to throw a flashy at them, it might be better than letting it just detonate by itself but the borg can outrun it if its fast enough to spot it. Not to rehash jmads point too much, borg travel at consistently fast unchanging speeds even without silly vtec upgrades.

If the rider is unaffected due to not being close (& protections) they can just drag and defend the borg, vice versa.

Spoiler:
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #283623

Hacked borgs can't be I think

Either that or just screwdriver crowbar the circuit printer, robot console, and quickly abuse the Borg to subvert AI who is cool with free antag.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #283625

Then you better not fuck up and/or have a means of dealing with the rider. You're not always going to have an answer to every situation, and in some cases you can do everything right and still lose and die - we literally have that as a button for ahelps with that answer now.

Borgs need to recharge so decon their chargers, their welders require fuel so hide/destroy the welding tanks, the rider needs ammo or his guns run out of charge so make ammo and rechargers hard to acquire, even the rider needs to heal so make him work for it by hiding the medkits. Or even just corner them in a dead-end and flashbang them, there's plenty of dead-ends you can lead them into. If the direct approach isn't working, use an indirect one - force them into situations where they don't have the advantage and rally the crew - no murderboner can handle 20 or so greyshirts throwing spears at them.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #283649

iamgoofball wrote:
Hacked borgs can't be I think

Either that or just screwdriver crowbar the circuit printer, robot console, and quickly abuse the Borg to subvert AI who is cool with free antag.
The only difference between an emagged borg and a subverted borg on the console is the size of the explosion and that an emagged explosion deletes the MMI.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #283769

Anonmare wrote:Then you better not fuck up and/or have a means of dealing with the rider. You're not always going to have an answer to every situation, and in some cases you can do everything right and still lose and die - we literally have that as a button for ahelps with that answer now.

Borgs need to recharge so decon their chargers, their welders require fuel so hide/destroy the welding tanks, the rider needs ammo or his guns run out of charge so make ammo and rechargers hard to acquire, even the rider needs to heal so make him work for it by hiding the medkits.
Powergame meta-prepare a non-antagonistic situation. Really? Perhaps you should take a leaf of what other people are saying and just stop making it so linear to deal with the threat as to counter deny them when grenades and flashes dont work.
Anonmare wrote:Or even just corner them in a dead-end and flashbang them, there's plenty of dead-ends you can lead them into. If the direct approach isn't working, use an indirect one - force them into situations where they don't have the advantage and rally the crew - no murderboner can handle 20 or so greyshirts throwing spears at them.
Assuming they aren't a idiot, they wont let themselves get into that position by knowing the map layout. You cannot convince greyshirts to do anything unless its selfishly rooted but its a better suggestion than most, but not when the traitor can just bid off a higher prize of letting assistants raid the armory like a bloody robin hood rogue

Spoiler:
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #284025

Clock borgs can't.
Doctor Pork
Byond Username: Doctor_Pork

Post by Doctor Pork » #284032

>all this talk about stunning the borg
>not the obvious solution of buying combat shotties, flashbangs, and an ATV crate
>OR buy stuff to make 2 Raveshields

its like you guys dont even into cargo like cmon thats like day 1 stuff
oranges wrote:pork, the nondescript, commoner king, literally so stealth you could just your normal name in OOC and nobody would know, long may he reign as the secret commander
Deitus wrote:If your signature is scrollable it's too long and fucking obnoxious and you should feel bad
Link to my feedback thread. Go there.
PKPenguin321 wrote:I've been had by yet another tg boondoggle
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #284049

Riding on someones back antag or non-antag with all access, is very reminiscient of a co-operative meta friendship, as it may be a case that the borg will willingly comply because they are meta-friended to someone else.

Recently we had a clown non antagonistically ride a asimov engineer borg & steal the nuclear disk as a prank which is a violation of law 1 (in that the nuke disk is harmful to humans if it is ever unsecure). If contrary to law 2 the borg doesn't stop when it is asked to, then it is breaking its laws. though the human clown can just re-issue a lawful command to get back on and resume. Please revert this riding, its more trouble than its worth and its literally speedwagon.

Spoiler:
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #284074

FantasticFwoosh wrote:Riding on someones back antag or non-antag with all access, is very reminiscient of a co-operative meta friendship, as it may be a case that the borg will willingly comply because they are meta-friended to someone else.

Recently we had a clown non antagonistically ride a asimov engineer borg & steal the nuclear disk as a prank which is a violation of law 1 (in that the nuke disk is harmful to humans if it is ever unsecure). If contrary to law 2 the borg doesn't stop when it is asked to, then it is breaking its laws. though the human clown can just re-issue a lawful command to get back on and resume. Please revert this riding, its more trouble than its worth and its literally speedwagon.
1) The disk is not inherently harmful
2) If the borg is breaking its laws it would do so with or without borg riding.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #284133

Ok, but generally losing the disk to people seeking to take it would be harm without explicitly knowing intent and/or being part of the staff.

Its just IC justification for metafriending like (yeah im releasing you from your law 2 commitment fam, come back to me via law 2 loophole so we can literally continue what we were doing) whether they were or without is irrelevant but it is ESPECIALLY relevant for when humans are riding borgs.

Spoiler:
Aloraydrel

Post by Aloraydrel » #284157

FantasticFwoosh wrote:Riding on someones back antag or non-antag with all access, is very reminiscient of a co-operative meta friendship, as it may be a case that the borg will willingly comply because they are meta-friended to someone else.

maybe you should
NSFW:
get good lol and stop crying
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #284163

They simply have a better strategy in using a borg as a all access ID card & extra help, everyone is trying their best.

Spoiler:
Alipheese
Byond Username: Daturix
Github Username: Daturix

Post by Alipheese » #284176

Stop bitching. Have fun.

Screenshots.
Spoiler:
Quotes.
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321 wrote:holy shit that engineering setup
that man deserves a medal
Anonmare wrote:Gee Engie, why does your mom let you have TWO singulos?
The Legend of Scrubs, MD
You are a traitor!
Your current objectives:
Objective #1: They mocked you in life, a lesser janiborg they said. Now they shall know terror.
Objective #2: Hijack the shuttle to ensure no loyalist Nanotrasen crew escape alive and out of custody.
Cuboos wrote: > That god damn engineer who let the singularity loose was a traitor and the only reasonable person on that whole entire station.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #284197

It literally requires to kill or shut down every borg on the station the moment someone rides them during X type round as a human antagonist.

Spoiler:
Aloraydrel

Post by Aloraydrel » #284198

FantasticFwoosh wrote:It literally requires to kill or shut down every borg on the station the moment someone rides them during X type round as a human antagonist.
literally doesn't you are just bad and assume the worst out of every situation
Cherrypone
Byond Username: Cherrypone

Post by Cherrypone » #284215

couldn't they just be dragged around by their borg buddies instead of riding them if this was changed though or vice versa if the borg was flashed
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #284250

FantasticFwoosh wrote:It literally requires to kill or shut down every borg on the station the moment someone rides them during X type round as a human antagonist.
Ah yes the antagonist is super positioned on all possible borgs at once!
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #284329

Cherrypone wrote:couldn't they just be dragged around by their borg buddies instead of riding them if this was changed though or vice versa if the borg was flashed
they already do that
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #284389

Incomptinence wrote:
Ah yes the antagonist is super positioned on all possible borgs at once!
Exaggeration, but i don't want to have to kill borgs on freeform going to the max possible levels of shittery, not least without locking them down or blowing them up from a console if i have to. 1v1 combat with the other person as previously stated is way too dicey, and this body blocking from borg riders & speed of borgs with or without VTEC makes them hard to nail unless you do it out of surprise.
Aloraydrel wrote:
literally doesn't you are just bad and assume the worst out of every situation
Again exaggeration from my part.

"Oh no Honko the shitter clown and a random borg who are vaguely metafriends recognise each other and have decided to go loot the captains ID from roundstart as well as the HOS's locker"

If anything we should add a policy clause that doing anything worthy of getting yourself blown by the robotics console (entering KOS zones like the armory), would be harmful to the human riding your back via law 1 and also you via law 3 so by default humans can't ride freely and non-human's can't order you to obey on asimov settings.
Cherrypone wrote:couldn't they just be dragged around by their borg buddies instead of riding them if this was changed though or vice versa if the borg was flashed
Specifically its the action of them riding the borg which is the biggest complaint in both borrowing the borg's speed, not being dragged away or dropped, helping shield the borg from flashes while themselves perhaps wearing flashbang protection as to not be affected & being a helper with hands ontop (for dangerous antag/shitter situations). You can literally drive into the AI core usually slightly faster than the turrets and kill the AI or across space by using a borg's jetpack function.

Spoiler:
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #284435

if i get freeze bypass for this i'll make a pr putting on a delay before you can grab onto a human for now.
if people on TOP are getting hit by projectiles instead of the person on the bottom that's a bug so go report it.
Doctor Pork

Post by Doctor Pork » #284443

kevinz000 wrote:if i get freeze bypass for this i'll make a pr putting on a delay before you can grab onto a human for now.
if people on TOP are getting hit by projectiles instead of the person on the bottom that's a bug so go report it.
DONT GIVE IN KEV

JUST TELL THEM TO GET GOOD
oranges wrote:pork, the nondescript, commoner king, literally so stealth you could just your normal name in OOC and nobody would know, long may he reign as the secret commander
Deitus wrote:If your signature is scrollable it's too long and fucking obnoxious and you should feel bad
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #284460

don't NERF borg cavalry you muppets
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #284463

I do not appreciate these unbeatable borg hakkapelitta*
Spoiler:
Gustavus is the best headrev, subvert the borgs & chase down the Danish command staff.

Spoiler:
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #284465

on that note i'm starting to mistake between jmad and fwoosh
makes me think.
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #284468

the only constructive thing that has come from this thread really has been the lack of one-shot flintlock pistols in this game, shiny cuirasses and helmets being mentioned
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #284503

Also for bug reports I'll be expecting reproduction steps so I can efficiently use my time :)
Doctor Pork

Post by Doctor Pork » #284504

imblyings wrote:the only constructive thing that has come from this thread really has been the lack of one-shot flintlock pistols in this game, shiny cuirasses and helmets being mentioned
Honestly, I'm surprised we dont have these.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #284512

Doctor Pork wrote:
imblyings wrote:the only constructive thing that has come from this thread really has been the lack of one-shot flintlock pistols in this game, shiny cuirasses and helmets being mentioned
We don't because we already have single shot sawed off shotguns that do the same thing.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #284520

cedarbridge wrote:
Doctor Pork wrote:
We don't because we already have single shot sawed off shotguns that do the same thing.
Ability to wear a bandolier of sawn-off singleshots when?
Ability to put them into pockets when?
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Doctor Pork

Post by Doctor Pork » #284711

DemonFiren wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:
Doctor Pork wrote:
Ability to wear a bandolier of sawn-off singleshots when?
Ability to put them into pockets when?
Remove the pointless homemade poopguns and add the Gentleman's Choice when.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #284746

monkeys should be able to ride people
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #284795

bandit wrote:monkeys should be able to ride people
the ONLY worthwhile post in this thread
Limey wrote:its too late.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #284810

bandit wrote:monkeys should be able to ride people
Non consensually for monkeys i imagine in the case rogue monkeys start mounting & biting you resisting *spin verbs & disarms, riding a borg with no saddle would be extremely painful in realistic terms and probably blacklisting borg types who cannot be ridden would be valuable.

Spoiler:
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #284814

We need lances for.... uh.... reasons.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #284837

ExcessiveCobblestone wrote:We need lances for.... uh.... reasons.
add crossbows as well, we can go full Rhodok, SUCK MY REPUBLIC'S SPEAR YOU SWADIAN DOG.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #284841

Dr_bee wrote:
ExcessiveCobblestone wrote:We need lances for.... uh.... reasons.
add crossbows as well, we can go full Rhodok, SUCK MY REPUBLIC'S SPEAR YOU SWADIAN DOG.
I think Kherit bows would be more fitting when riding on a borg
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #284854

Atleast make riding a borg require a leather saddle, imagine riding rawhide on lumpy metal is probably going to break your hips.

Spoiler:
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #284941

I really want to attach a saddle to betsy in metatstation garden area and then steer her around now. Either that or lazarus a goliath & do the same.

The offtopicness ITT is getting a little silly now. But we got a response from the creator who seems to grasp the cause for concern and is willing to make changes so essentially this i guess is resolved.

Spoiler: