Changeling hivemind

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Changeling hivemind

Post by InsaneHyena » #290338

Changeling are not a team antag anymore, and therefore they have no business having a hivemind. Removing it will kill changelings ganging up on the rest of the crew and make changelings more vulnerable. Not only you won't be able to call in buddies if you're in trouble, a guy you've just killed could turn out to be a changeling himself.
I'll check this idea for popularity, and then make a PR removing the hivemind.
Bring back papercult.

DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Re: Changeling hivemind

Post by DemonFiren » #290344

With hivemind: Reward of gaining powerful allies, risk of being backstabbed and left deader than Elvis due to conflicting objectives.
Without hivemind: Risk of jump scares. Reward of jump scares.

Changelings should have a ~50% chance of getting an objective that puts them on a collision course with another changeling just to see if they use :g at all after that.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #290345

This is not what I'm seeing in actual play. Usually, changelings combine into kill teams, raid the brig, kill security and then genocide the crew. It's not as bad as it used to be in teamling rounds, but it's still there, and it's cancer. When traitors want to cooperate, they have to spend some of them TCs on a radio.
Bring back papercult.

DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #290350

I know.
I figured most of this is due to the fact that most of the time everyone can get greentext without infighting.
Of course it's also due to the fact that changelings were made stupid robust, which they never should have been in the first place.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #290857

It existed before teamling and was removed once before and it sucked dick. Leave it alone
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #290860

Yeah but the game and lings since then have evolved so raising the idea again shouldn't be denied just because before it sucked.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #290862

D&B wrote:Yeah but the game and lings since then have evolved so raising the idea again shouldn't be denied just because before it sucked.
What about lings in particular has changed to prompt this though
Spoiler:
InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #290863

Mainly armblades and other insane buffs to robustness of individual lings
Bring back papercult.

PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #290864

InsaneHyena wrote:Mainly armblades and other insane buffs to robustness of individual lings
Armblades have been around since before teamling and the first removal of hivemind and the second bit is too vague
Try again
Spoiler:
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #290874

Lings are the most hilariously powerful antag we have on tap, even surpassing the deliberately ridiculous wizard. The slightest chance that lings start infighting is an instant +1 from me.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #290898

ShadowDimentio wrote:Lings are the most hilariously powerful antag we have on tap, even surpassing the deliberately ridiculous wizard
What a fuckin crazy hyperbole, i hope you don't really believe this
Spoiler:
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #290901

>AoE attacks
>EMP bursts
>Crazy damage
>Self-healing
>Revives from death at practically no penalty
>Impossible to hold down
Spoiler:
>Loud as fuck
>One decent shot and they're dead
>There's one of them
>AoE attacks
>EMP bursts
>Crazy damage
>Self-healing
>Revives from death at practically no penalty
>Impossible to hold down
Spoiler:
>Impossible to track unless they fuck up catastrophically
>Ten decent shots and they escape anyways
>There's 2-4 of them
I hate lings with a flaming passion due to how hilariously, obnoxiously powerful they are. They have ZERO weaknesses, and this would at least open the possibility of them slaughtering each other instead of the crew every single time.
Last edited by ShadowDimentio on Tue May 09, 2017 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #290904

>lings are about deception

>have armblades, EMPS, tentacles and rapid healing

????
D&B

Post by D&B » #290926

Think Prototype, not The Thing
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #290930

D&B wrote:Think Prototype, not The Thing
Solution: Stop thinking Prototype, think The Thing again.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
D&B

Post by D&B » #290938

How do you want a slow stealth antag when the players keep breaking the stealth part of gamemodes and admins nor coders want to make moves to prevent this due to unpopularity

The first step towards changing something is recognizing what it is in the present. It is wrong to compare ling to the thing when in its current state you're basically Alex Mercer.
Spoiler:
fuck you
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #290939

Clearly the faceless playing masses have shit taste and the coder conspiracy is catering to their needs in order to further the division.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #290941

basically people need to acquire proficiency then? like shadowdimentio?
Munchlax
Byond Username: Lobstercake

Post by Munchlax » #290983

ShadowDimentio wrote:Lings are the most hilariously powerful antag we have on tap, even surpassing the deliberately ridiculous wizard. The slightest chance that lings start infighting is an instant +1 from me.
It's time to stop posting
lzimann
Byond Username: Lzimann
Github Username: lzimann

Post by lzimann » #290987

Well, lings are stupid and maybe a bit too strong. Removal of the hivemind might be a good change overall.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #291007

Just rat the other lings out, work with Captain and Sec, while furthering your own goals. It's super fun, I do it all the time. Ling v Ling is tense.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #291014

Lumbermancer wrote:Just rat the other lings out, work with Captain and Sec, while furthering your own goals. It's super fun, I do it all the time. Ling v Ling is tense.
Any ling I catch doing that gets cremated.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #291022

Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #291193

geilebeer wrote:
ShadowDimentio wrote:Lings are the most hilariously powerful antag we have on tap, even surpassing the deliberately ridiculous wizard. The slightest chance that lings start infighting is an instant +1 from me.
It's time to stop posting
Not an argument
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #291234

Shadowdimentio is right
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #291236

Maybe a bit exaggerated compared to wizard but still mostly right
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #291282

Eh traitors wipe crews more than lings with their op flavour of the month crutch whatever that may be.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #291359

Starting to get off topic from just hivemind but I thought about it and I think a better fix would be to make it so that some changeling abilities cause Regenerative Stasis to cost more chems/take longer to complete so if you want to be more combat oriented outright you're less invincible
Spoiler:
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #291407

Incomptinence wrote:Eh traitors wipe crews more than lings with their op flavour of the month crutch whatever that may be.
Traitors are way more common then lings, even appearing along with them. Of course they wipe crew way more often, but put a traitor against a ling and the ling will win.
PKPenguin321 wrote:Starting to get off topic from just hivemind but I thought about it and I think a better fix would be to make it so that some changeling abilities cause Regenerative Stasis to cost more chems/take longer to complete so if you want to be more combat oriented outright you're less invincible
A good first step to make lings less stupidly powerful would be for regenerative stasis to revive you at 1 health instead of 100. It's fucking stupid that a ling can get killed, be a room away from the incinerator, revive, instantly melt all restraints and sprint full speed down the hall. Now they'd have to actually have a plan after they revive or else they just go back down again.

The next is to incorporate some way to test changelings, because there's currently no fucking way to know if someone's a ling or not unless you catch then dead in the middle of unzipping their proboscis. At one point if you used a welder on a syringe of ling blood it would scream, bring that back.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #291410

Bring back papercult.

Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #291455

PKPenguin321 wrote:It existed before teamling and was removed once before and it sucked dick. Leave it alone
Literally the only response this thread needs. We tried it, it blew hot dick, its a dead meme.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #291457

When hivemind was added changelings were actually adversaries and had conflicting objectives/bonuses for eating eachother, so it was a risk reward thing if we want to dig into historical shit.