AI Core Defense

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Re: AI Core Defense

Post by Anonmare » #317840

Bottom post of the previous page:

I have a PR up to fix the cyborg RCDs. It's literally changing a 1 to a 0
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #317847

Also the only reliable method to core defense is to alter the default configuration. People know the meta spots, they know where the plating is weakest and the firing angle of the turrets. You need to play a game of I Know, You Know.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #317890

Also: can we discuss how stupidly easy it is for a wraith to just jaunt right on you and bash you to death?

Because that feels super lame and the only defense you possibly have is knowing of it way in advance and having someone relocate you.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #317904

chemiiat wrote: another idea for malf modes: electronic devices tied to a hacked APC cannot be used by anything other than the AI who hacked it and are automatically hostile to everything
That would have to be optional, given that historically the entire point of malf was to be stealth long enough for you to be able to trigger the countdown.
Cant be stealthy when a department's machines all up and start attacking people.
私は完璧
chemiiat
Byond Username: Chemiiat

Post by chemiiat » #317908

Remie Richards wrote:
chemiiat wrote: another idea for malf modes: electronic devices tied to a hacked APC cannot be used by anything other than the AI who hacked it and are automatically hostile to everything
That would have to be optional, given that historically the entire point of malf was to be stealth long enough for you to be able to trigger the countdown.
Cant be stealthy when a department's machines all up and start attacking people.
This is true, yeah. Once people see that blue APC, nine times out of ten someone is going to yell rogue, but it would still be nice to have it as an optional thing.

Really, what I want most out of a malf AI mode is a swiss army knife of stuff that can fuck with people. Purchasable voice emulation software to make fake comms messages, being able to make fake centcomm messages, being able to trigger events like greytide virus, being able to change your own non-zero laws to anything you want to mess with people who demand law stating, etc. These are probably just stupid ideas but I really, really want more (stealthy?) ways to make the crew's life a living hell that isn't just "electrify doors, flood co2 while comms are off".
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #318734

Man if only people fixed bugs and we weren't about to get hit with a hard features freeze...
chemiiat

Post by chemiiat » #319232

kevinz000 wrote:Man if only people fixed bugs and we weren't about to get hit with a hard features freeze...
Teach me how to code in and stomach BYOND's horrid scripting language and I will fix at least (1) bug.
chemiiat

Post by chemiiat » #319253

CosmicScientist wrote:Before you trigger some of the coders, I don't believe it's scripting.Shh, don't tell anyone I'm pointing this out so I can find out what a scripting language actually is.

Have you encountered C or C++ before? Or really, any coding language?
I was being a little facetious, but I've coded in C++, python, and much to my regret, java.
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #319275

it's another "programming languages i dislike are cancer excks dee" episode change the channel please

byond is pretty simple to get into, if anything it was figuring out how the shit that's already been coded works that was difficult
Limey wrote:its too late.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #319279

Qbopper wrote:it's another "programming languages i dislike are cancer excks dee" episode change the channel please

byond is pretty simple to get into, if anything it was figuring out how the shit that's already been coded works that was difficult

To be honest it's not even that. It's the getting shit past the coder and maintainer politics that is the hardest.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #319280

Let the malf grow metal legs, a gattling laser and clusterbang launcher. So the malf can physically rip its way out the sat to murder fleshbags.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #319310

CPTANT wrote:
Qbopper wrote:it's another "programming languages i dislike are cancer excks dee" episode change the channel please

To be honest it's not even that. It's the getting shit past the coder and maintainer politics that is the hardest.
eh, I'd argue that's not a barrier to learning because if you're starting out you're likely doing simple fixes/etc. and there's usually not much issue getting those in from my experience
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #319319

Open DM and press F1
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #319329

Github is pretty confusing to a normie
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #319391

Anonmare wrote:Github is pretty confusing to a normie
actually yeah that's true

the setup guide on the wiki does a decent job, but it can take some effort to figure out how branches/etc. work - it's not exactly intuitive at first to create a fork, then make your own branches, and then those are where PRs come from
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #319418

I didn't realise until today that the files I was trying to merge with my PR were orphaned and I had to find out via pouring over a bunch of guides and trial and error to figure out how ti fix that.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #319470

CosmicScientist wrote:GitHub and Git are not first time user friendly.
It also doesn't help that TortoiseGit seems to miss some rather important features such as hard resets.

That or it is just hidden very well.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #319640

if you can't figure out git and github you have a very low percentage chance of writing code that any maintainer will find to be salvageable.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #319644

Why are oranges such a sour fruit?
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #321114

oranges wrote:if you can't figure out git and github you have a very low percentage chance of writing code that any maintainer will find to be salvageable.
not an argument tbh
Iatots
Byond Username: Iatots
Github Username: Iatots

Post by Iatots » #322112

>if you can't figure out how to drink from the river you deserve to die of thirst

OLD
BOYS
CLUB
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #322279

oranges wrote:if you can't figure out git and github you have a very low percentage chance of writing code that any maintainer will find to be salvageable.
Yes shitty UI's are good because only the hardcore people survive

Seriously.... :roll:

Bad UI's just waste everyone's time.
Gouty
Byond Username: Gouty

Post by Gouty » #322309

CPTANT wrote:Also: can we discuss how stupidly easy it is for a wraith to just jaunt right on you and bash you to death?
I agree, it seems to be the first thing that most wraiths do after being created and has happened to me more times than I can remember, absolutely no way to counter it, so no risk to them, and none of the suggestions made, that I can see, would stop this from happening.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #322335

Boxstation generally is a bit better as the AI sat turrets actually have LoS on the area directly in front of you and you can kill the wraith if you're fast enough to switch turrets to lethal. I've noticed every other map has a critical blind spot in the very front of the AI
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #322345

Anonmare wrote:Boxstation generally is a bit better as the AI sat turrets actually have LoS on the area directly in front of you and you can kill the wraith if you're fast enough to switch turrets to lethal. I've noticed every other map has a critical blind spot in the very front of the AI
IIRC The wraith doesn't even have to stand on that square, it can materialize just fine right on top of you.
bman
Github User
Byond Username: Basilman
Github Username: Militaires

Post by bman » #323898

the turrets also conveniently shoot out the consoles but luckily thanks to perfected meta that doesnt even matter you dont even need to step foot inside the upload to change the AI's laws.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #323910

X-ray/TK vision lets you change an AI's laws. On Meta at least, the consoles are surrounded by glass which makes it a little bit harder but by no means impossible to do so.

R&D can print off I upload and law modules if they're even remotely competent
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #323961

the fruit isn't wrong.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #323989

kevinz000 wrote:
the fruit isn't wrong.
Clearly the fruit is wrong if your PRs keep getting merged
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #324062

Anonmare wrote:
kevinz000 wrote:
the fruit isn't wrong.
Clearly the fruit is wrong if your PRs keep getting merged
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #324163

bman wrote:the turrets also conveniently shoot out the consoles but luckily thanks to perfected meta that doesnt even matter you dont even need to step foot inside the upload to change the AI's laws.
Meta also has foam grenades everywhere in engineering and even EMPs laying around in maint.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #324196

I don't know why people are salty, I said you had a low chance, not a impossible chance.