The shuttle autorecaller

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
DiamondSentinel
Byond Username: DiamondSentinel

Re: The shuttle autorecaller

Post by DiamondSentinel » #295521

Bottom post of the previous page:

Incomptinence wrote:I like longer rounds the "i stubbed my toe call the shuttle" (literally got them to roll with that on goon long ago) meta is not a new problem and is probably largely a symptom of mechanics.

I like that this will bring longer rounds as short rounds were causing my burn out and thumbed up the pr but as usual how valid criticism is being handled on something that by author admission needs testing and tweaks is pretty rubbish.
There is a better solution for it than this, though, and I've suggested it multiple times during post-game and ooc discussion.

If the captain actually suffered some sort of punishment for summoning the shuttle when "ouch I stubbed my toe" or "2 people have died in 22 minutes and I'm scared" (really anything less than large-scale destruction of the station), then it would cut down on those incidents. The lore already states that they get executed if they abandon the station , so maybe disallow them from being captain or a head for a couple rounds or something. Of course, there should be some sort of condition that this restriction wouldn't apply (and maybe just disallow them from being captain for a round or something), and of course it wouldn't apply if cap was already dead, but it'd likely fix the issue.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #295978

>hardcoded ways to banbait
no
Deitus
Byond Username: Deitus

Post by Deitus » #296096

>shuttle autorecaller

this is the first i have heard or seen of this and i can say without a single doubt in my mind that it is one of the stupidest fucking ideas i have ever heard of and its even fucking stupider that it got implemented. count me as a hard member of the "remove it" side.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #296099

Firstly, the PR was closed. For the time being the idea appears to have been scrapped/put on hold.

Secondly, I believe it was test merged only for a short period on Sybil.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #296122

Regardless, I think it would be interesting to run a player poll to see how people feel about current round lengths.
Toroic
Byond Username: Toroic

Post by Toroic » #296230

Steelpoint wrote:From my experience people don't tend to call evac just to deny Traitors their green text, they call evac when the situation has deteriorated to the point where command and security think bugging out is a good idea.

If individual Traitors don't want a early shuttle call, they should avoid doing actions that will result in a evac being called, such as killing too much of Security, destroying vital parts of the station or simply slaughtering enough people and causing enough chaos that the situation seems untenable.
That has been my experience only sometimes.

Generally I see the captain call the shuttle at the first sign of danger and will have the AI loop calling the shuttle and recalling it continuously.

The bigger issue imo is that it's more fun and interesting to have multiple individual midround antagonists as needed than half of the time having a conversion antag that just zergs the generally unrobust sec team who never really get the departmental help they could due to being dicks.
Unprofessional Catgirl and Straightboy Supreme.