The shuttle autorecaller

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

The shuttle autorecaller

Post by bandit » #294450

I like this idea in theory but in practice:

A) it misses some very obvious cases of when the shuttle needs to be called, such as nuke ops
B) if you miss the "cancel shuttle autorecall" window, like for instance if your client crashes WHICH IT DOES EVERY 1 MINUTE, then it is hard to figure out wtf to do
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Re: The shuttle autorecaller

Post by Steelpoint » #294455

I think it's just bad in practice.

I was the Captain in a round with this being tested. Early into the round the Supermatter Exploded, killing every Engineer on station sans one Atmo Tech, who turned out to be a traitor and tried to suicide bomb me later on. This explosion, coupled with some non-antag hijinks from prior to the explosion, left the station depowered but also draining air.

Despite my best attempts (and dying two times) the Solar array could not keep the station powered, and tcomms would keep running out of power despite my best efforts to repair the broken machines and repower the APC. This, coupled with the utter destruction of law and order, the crew going nuts, traitors running around making things worse in the dark, no comms and most of the station being depressurized, I made a decision to call evacuation.

Except we could not, everytime we called for evac we were denied, no matter how many people died, no matter how much of the station fell into chaos, we were shat on by a automatic controller and told to fix it. Eventually the comms consoles bugged out and the AI went braindead before the hour mark and the admins bailed ship 30 minutes into the round. Two hours into the round we had to build a second AI just so we could call the evac shuttle due to the comms consoles bugging out.

No one enjoyed that round, it was a shit show and everyone was complaining of how drawn out that affair was.

I simply detest this recaller, it shits on the crew and it tried to police a sandbox game that is based on unpredictability.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #294464

Me and durk experienced a round where:
SM blew up, killing all the engineers
Bridge got syndicate bomb'd
Sec killed at least 8 greyshits who survived the bomb

The shuttle auto recalled.
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #294528

Don't ops on station allow the shuttle call? If you called it before the ops even got there then it was kinda unjustified.

I think the rest of the issues would be solved by a less restrictive limit, it was testmerged before coiax could adjust them.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #294539

yeah I don't want to see it scrapped just yet, take the complaints from github/forums and change it then keep trying - if it's still broken it can die

I won't defend it as is despite wanting it in because if it doesn't work, it doesn't work
Limey wrote:its too late.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #294655

All feedback has been howling rage. People do not like having their choices taken away from them - this is a game and people don't like doing shitty unfun things for an extra 30-60 minutes because some coder thinks that's how the game should be.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #294662

and which coder would that be lumi?
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #294663

Oranges wrote:and which coder would that be lumi?
certainly not the one who made the PR...
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #294668

This outcome shouldn't have been shocking to anyone paying attention.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #294687

BeeSting12 wrote:
In response to a policy subforum thread with multiple points of view
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #294689

This kind of shit is why everyone thinks that coderbus is cancer
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #294696

From anyone else that would be almost an insult, but from you it's more of a compliment
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #294705

Oranges wrote:
BeeSting12 wrote:
In response to a policy subforum thread with multiple points of view
There is a difference between thinking the shuttle gets called too early sometimes for the round to properly develop (which plenty of people can and do agree with) and making a pr that simply removes player choice and forces people into being the bitch to some antags they have no hope of defeating/butt fucked station situation or whatever, then (in a hilarious parallel to "we can rebuild") say "we can fix it!" when everyone gets ass mangled about how terrible the PR is.
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #294712

Best feature of the last year.
Bring back papercult.

kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #294713

Imo people need to stop wrecking the fucking round every round 20 minutes in
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #294714

Who coded it?
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #294718

>A) it misses some very obvious cases of when the shuttle needs to be called, such as nuke ops

IT LITERALLY ALLOWS CALLS IF NUKE OPS ARE ON STATION
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #294719

D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #294723

Food in theory, shit in practice and restrictive as all hell, not to mention only a half band aid for a gashing cut.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #294725

>Hey guys people keep ending X gametype prematurely because its not fun for them

>I know lets force them to play it

???
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Owegno
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Owegno

Post by Owegno » #294732

Even better:

>I dislike this but the policy won't change, so I'll just make an automated admin to enforce a new policy to stop this thing.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #294737

>20 players want it and 20 players dont in the github feedback
>""""coderbus"""" arguing on both sides
>whine about coders

This is why the feedback forums are cancer
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #294738

I've seen admins recalling the shuttle if they believed we didn't put in sufficient effort to fix it. If an admin wants to do that, they can. Having a code solution is a bad idea because code does not have human discretion- Like an AI trying to be a judge. Sure the guy killed someone... but it was also in self defense. Code can't really see grey areas such as "sure, the station's at 100% integrity, but the cult has also overrun the station but there's more crew than cultists." At that point the shuttle should be called but you get memed by the code to fit the few times the shuttle is called when it shouldn't be.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #294745

Kor wrote:>20 players want it and 20 players dont in the github feedback
>whine about coders

I was hoping they would come to this conclusion themselves but thanks for being explicit
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #294746

Why can't let just let players figure it out for themselves? This is a terrible solution to a non-problem.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #294757

Kor wrote:>20 players want it and 20 players dont in the github feedback
>whine about coders

If you're referring to me, I didn't say "coders" I said coder. As in the singular person that coded the PR.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #294766

I did not mean you, no.
bandit

Post by bandit » #294781

iamgoofball wrote:>A) it misses some very obvious cases of when the shuttle needs to be called, such as nuke ops

not in the round that caused me to make this thread

admin feedback pls
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #294782

If you want to encourage the crew to stay and hold the station then actually give them the tools or ability to do so instead of forcing the survivors to play a round of Hunger Games until enough people die to call evac.

Here's my alternative.

-------------------------

Firstly, for practically any game mode that is not Traitor or Extended (maybe Wizard) this system does not apply at all. Twenty two minutes is long enough for the antags to get the ball rolling that if the crew can call evac at the 22 min mark and the antags cannot stop them, then they deserve to lose.

Secondly, this system instead is preceded by a unique "Emergency Response Call" system.

Essentially, the crew cannot call evacuation until they call for a ERT to arrive. This ERT would be different than the usual admin ERT in that it is heavily biased to spawn Engineering Response Officers (1 Co, 1 Sec Officer, 1 Med Officer, 3 Eng Officers) and they only get low tier Energy Guns for self defence, at best, (energy pistol anyone?).

Once these ERT arrive, as in the ERT centcom shuttle docks with SS13, the crew have to wait ten minutes before they can attempt a shuttle call.

This encourages the crew to rebuild the station, and provides the crew a response team with the tools and ability to assist in that role, but it also still lets the crew call evacuation. But it only applys for Traitor rounds.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #294852

I like longer rounds the "i stubbed my toe call the shuttle" (literally got them to roll with that on goon long ago) meta is not a new problem and is probably largely a symptom of mechanics.

I like that this will bring longer rounds as short rounds were causing my burn out and thumbed up the pr but as usual how valid criticism is being handled on something that by author admission needs testing and tweaks is pretty rubbish.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #294870

bandit wrote:
iamgoofball wrote:>A) it misses some very obvious cases of when the shuttle needs to be called, such as nuke ops

not in the round that caused me to make this thread
That's a bug then, it explicitly checks if nuke ops have touched the station. I'll check it out.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #294878

"A problem exists"
"WE HAVE TO DO SOMETHING"
*does something that's a bigger problem than the original problem*
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #294937

Steelpoint, gamemodes other than traitor have been balanced because they have to win before minute 25 or the shuttle ends the round. The shuttle is covering the balancing issues, and removing preventive or pointless calls exposes those issues. If your best hope of winning against cult is calling the shuttle asap, of course you'd do that in any round you could. Why fight if you can stall, run and still win?

With no pointless/preventive shuttlecalls, antags can be toned down to not be able to bullrush a victory in <30 mins, which means they can be fought more fairly, which makes staying a more fun alternative, but the virtuous cycle has to start somewhere. If they're toned down before the shuttle limitations they'll just lose due to not being able to compete with the shuttle timer.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #294944

From my experience people don't tend to call evac just to deny Traitors their green text, they call evac when the situation has deteriorated to the point where command and security think bugging out is a good idea.

If individual Traitors don't want a early shuttle call, they should avoid doing actions that will result in a evac being called, such as killing too much of Security, destroying vital parts of the station or simply slaughtering enough people and causing enough chaos that the situation seems untenable.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #294976

My solution has always been a blanket make fixing easier.

Like half the point of lattices is to waste mats so people don't make too many floors oh nooo. Hey pro tip some idiot makes enough floors for that to be a problem a lot of time has already passed and I have admins tell me off for getting too much paper out of paper bins before so it should be sorted a'okay.

Streamline and cheapen all aspects construction reducing steps and providing ways to place down multiples of tedious shit like wires and piping.
Maybe give some way for engineering to shove a prefab room in a pack ala mining pods to slap modular bits onto non essential areas like dorms or maint or just as needed.
It will work even better without an eat everything forever engine.

We can't fix it reliably enough for the crew to you know rely on things being fixed so they never give it a try.

After that comes round type balance but repairs are overdue for qol.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #295145

Incomptinence wrote: qol.
STAHP
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #295297

Really Oranges? That's a big part of why this feature is unpopular. People feel like they're being told how to play the game, which they don't want.
Togopal
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Togopal

Post by Togopal » #295306

I dont even have to experience this in person to tell what a retarded idea it is
EDIT:
Togopal wrote:
Wyzack wrote:If people were enjoying it the shuttle would not always get called at the drop of a hat every time.
Obviously the solution to this is to force them to enjoy it rather than seeking out why it may not be enjoyable to certain roles and fixing them
CALLED IT

onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #295330

I'm going to try to spell it out even more explicitly for you since you still don't seem to get it.

A player (who has never coded, or even tried to code, so not coderbus) gave feedback on a problem their perceived with the game. Several other players said it bothered them as well.

Another member of the community (who contributes regularly holds no official title or membership in coderbus) proposed a solution on our public repository as any of the other 7 billion humans on earth is free to do.

A head admin (again not coderbus!) then tests the proposed change on the server.

And then you come into a thread saying that a change proposed by a player in response to player feedback and then put on server by the admins is evidence that coderbus is cancer and doesn't listen to people.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays
Byond Username: DrPillzRedux

Post by DrPillzRedux » #295345

This is overall just a fucking stupid change and ruins the fun of most people actually on station, just to let that one autist in science do his shit he does every round.

Honestly, anyone who supports this should be ashamed of themselves for implementing this kind of horse crap on tg.
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty
bandit wrote:what is this

a correct post by pillz
bandit

Post by bandit » #295347

Kor wrote:A player (who has never coded, or even tried to code, so not coderbus) gave feedback on a problem their perceived with the game. Several other players said it bothered them as well.
https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/ ... s%3Aclosed

what did he mean by this

admin feedback pls
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #295348

https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 33&t=11092

I wasn't aware that Massa100 was your alt
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #295353

It was mentioned in another thread, but the shortest physically possible round length is 25 minutes before the shuttle arrives (20 minute refueling + 5 minute shuttle call on red alert), 30 minutes if we want to count the escape sequence. Realistically, shorter rounds are closer to 35 minutes, and I'd be willing to bet that the average round is ~45 minutes. Were it 10 or 15 minutes I would understand a code solution, but going to all this trouble to pad out a round for 10 minutes is just silly. If you must pad out the round for another 10 minutes, you could just make an earlier shuttle call send a shitty shuttle to disincentivize it.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #295386

Kor wrote:https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 33&t=11092

I wasn't aware that Massa100 was your alt
This explains so much.
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #295400

The problem is that we need to make exploding the station in 5 minutes harder to do, since that's what ends most traitor rounds before the ball can really get rolling.
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #295402

Yakumo_Chen wrote:The problem is that we need to make exploding the station in 5 minutes harder to do, since that's what ends most traitor rounds before the ball can really get rolling.
i believe that's a player issue, unless we're going to remove every source of damage in the game people'll just find another method to implode everything.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #295405

Yakumo_Chen wrote:The problem is that we need to make exploding the station in 5 minutes harder to do, since that's what ends most traitor rounds before the ball can really get rolling.
Precisely this. All this change does is force people to stand around while everything burns around them and the antags have essentially won. Granted, we should also consider whether players think that things spiraling so quickly is even a problem. We should run a player poll on round length, or else this will never move past "in my opinion"
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #295480

It's broken versus xenomorphs which keep the hosts alive for prolonged periods of time without actually killing them, i've been in a number of xeno rounds where the shuttle has been auto recalled by command trying to call to just get out of here in a total panic constantly pressing the button, then every hunter and their uncle swoops in on the console caller.

It is also restrictive in such a arrangement that you kill the station in a priority order of top to bottom, as without any command staff to call, the normal low tier staff cannot call by themselves at all and are at the mercy of antags/shitty circumstance. Usually command calls when a portion of the lower down staff have been killed, and while it may have been nobody important, it usually creates a negative enviroment for the crew.

> Who's right is it not least robustin's to judge what is and what isn't a emergency? Context is important, but we already put in place a timer already on how soon you could call, and often i've seen what seems to be admins have to override the auto-recalls themselves because they too think its too shitty a emergency because it's getting blocked really hard.

- Coders should stop making such flat out antagonists then if you don't want the station to go to hell in 5 minutes and warrant people calling because they don't have the tools/personnel or enthusiasm to kill it (blob is very lacking on enthusiasm to kill because losses can't be replaced when blobbernauts eat ghosts)

Spoiler:
DiamondSentinel
Byond Username: DiamondSentinel

Post by DiamondSentinel » #295521

Incomptinence wrote:I like longer rounds the "i stubbed my toe call the shuttle" (literally got them to roll with that on goon long ago) meta is not a new problem and is probably largely a symptom of mechanics.

I like that this will bring longer rounds as short rounds were causing my burn out and thumbed up the pr but as usual how valid criticism is being handled on something that by author admission needs testing and tweaks is pretty rubbish.
There is a better solution for it than this, though, and I've suggested it multiple times during post-game and ooc discussion.

If the captain actually suffered some sort of punishment for summoning the shuttle when "ouch I stubbed my toe" or "2 people have died in 22 minutes and I'm scared" (really anything less than large-scale destruction of the station), then it would cut down on those incidents. The lore already states that they get executed if they abandon the station , so maybe disallow them from being captain or a head for a couple rounds or something. Of course, there should be some sort of condition that this restriction wouldn't apply (and maybe just disallow them from being captain for a round or something), and of course it wouldn't apply if cap was already dead, but it'd likely fix the issue.
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #295978

>hardcoded ways to banbait
no