Kudzu

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
WJohnston
Byond Username: WJohnston

Kudzu

Post by WJohnston » #296086

So can we do something about this already? It can single-handedly DESTROY the station. It's LUDICROUSLY powerful, LUDICROUSLY fast expanding, goes through walls, into space, grabs and kills people in SECONDS, spawns monsters, drains oxygen, is borderline indestructible sometimes, is impassable, can overtake the station in about 5 minutes--

Please? I've seen so many rounds just be COMPLETELY ENDED by these things, and there's NOTHING anyone can do once it gets going.
Apparently I was an director or something.
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Re: Kudzu

Post by Qbopper » #296088

is CAPITALIZING words LIKE THIS the new GOOFBALL 200 SIZE text

but yeah it is a bit strong
Limey wrote:its too late.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #296108

Use big font is the new GOOF SIZE 200
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #296110

>Let Pete loose against kudzu
>Pete walks into it and dies instantly
Made me think.
Bring back papercult.

danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Post by danno » #296111

Kudzu got loose like an hour and a half or so ago on basil
and I del-all'd it
I deleted over 24,000 instances of kudzu
and it didn't actually get it all, the kudzu survived the mass deletion
I did it again ~15-20 seconds later and deleted ANOTHER 20,000 instances
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit
danno

Post by danno » #296113

afterwards the station was quite literally flattened, an incredible amount of walls just gone like that
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #296114

>PR tried to remove stupid shit from botany
>Got closed

Makes you go hmm
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #296117

How about we stop padding the corners of the station?

Every department has apocalyptic shit they can produce with some effort. Engi has the engine, medbay has viro, cargo has null crates, sci has bombs, etc.

We should be encouraging usage of these things since they're more fun than mindless murderbone which is the default for traitors with nothing better to do instead of removing them.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #296121

ShadowDimentio wrote:How about we stop padding the corners of the station?

Every department has apocalyptic shit they can produce with some effort. Engi has the engine, medbay has viro, cargo has null crates, sci has bombs, etc.

We should be encouraging usage of these things since they're more fun than mindless murderbone which is the default for traitors with nothing better to do instead of removing them.
Kudzu fucking up the station is not fun though?

At least with someone with a desword I can try my luck and disarm spam them or some shit, kudzu spreads too fast and dicks you too hard.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Lazengann
Byond Username: Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #296206

Kudzu should remain a deadly round ender but it mutates too fast, it should take some time and risk to make it that deadly. Like, minutes of risking your life hacking away at it until it has deadly enough mutations to unleash on the station.

This would make it more balanced, as once you get the aggressive spreading trait it suddenly becomes extremely high risk to try to mutate it any further.

I'm pretty sure I unleashed the kudzu that got this thread made by the way. Right now you don't need to put any work in to make it deadly as it will mutate into a deadly variety before anyone even sees the vines.
Toroic
Byond Username: Toroic

Post by Toroic » #296228

Lazengann wrote:Kudzu should remain a deadly round ender but it mutates too fast, it should take some time and risk to make it that deadly. Like, minutes of risking your life hacking away at it until it has deadly enough mutations to unleash on the station.

This would make it more balanced, as once you get the aggressive spreading trait it suddenly becomes extremely high risk to try to mutate it any further.

I'm pretty sure I unleashed the kudzu that got this thread made by the way. Right now you don't need to put any work in to make it deadly as it will mutate into a deadly variety before anyone even sees the vines.
Maybe potency can affect the types of mutations available? Low potency gives neutral/benign mutations and you need high potency for the more dangerous and destructive ones?

Right now I think you can devastate the station with easily made 50 potency kudzu.
Unprofessional Catgirl and Straightboy Supreme.
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #296287

But you can get 100 potency kudzu in two minutes with no effort at all. Just ask chemistry for mutagen.
Bring back papercult.

Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #296288

Or if you don't hate yourself, saltpetre
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #296290

Lol it's a mekhi whines about botany episode
Just rework kudzu like I've been saying but not actually doing for.the last few months.
Toroic

Post by Toroic » #296298

ShadowDimentio wrote:How about we stop padding the corners of the station?

I don't think you realize how dangerous botany weapons already can be. Mass killer tomatoes are already shuttle-calling threat, and initropil bees will ruin your day. Botany can also mass produce explosives and if they get gaseous decomposition smoke bombs of death as well.

Kudzu is a lot more work to mutate helpfully than to mutate destructively.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #296300

Oh I know, but building up a robust arsenal of botany weapons takes a decent amount of time and know-how. It's pretty fairly balanced in that regard.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #296312

>deleting over 24,000 instances of kudzu and it's still not all of it
>balanced

even bombs don't do anywhere close to that much shit
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #296313

Rebalance it then, it's as simple as tweaking a few numbers.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
danno

Post by danno » #296318

I don't know if you just skipped my posts or something but kudzu is literally, in the literal sense of the term and not as a meme, broken
Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #296319

Do what I said idiots all hydroponics complaints should be directed to me
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #296320

Kudzu isnt even fun to fight against. Oh and one time I saw a guy walk onto a block of kudzu for one second and I had to drag him out with no limbs and in deep critical. Broken as fuck and takes little effort to make, needs to be removed/reworked.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #296326

Just remove the stupid kudzu flavorings and incorporate the less dumb ones into regular kudzu.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #296331

I like kudzu more than blobs
Toroic

Post by Toroic » #296397

ShadowDimentio wrote:Oh I know, but building up a robust arsenal of botany weapons takes a decent amount of time and know-how. It's pretty fairly balanced in that regard.
To be honest, botany has a lot more weapons available than utility options. Healing chems are nice, but earthsblod/mannitol are the best, there are two explosive options but one is pretty weak, poison stacked death nettles take a lot of work and arguably are self-antagging.

You can make strange reagent purely within botany but it's rare that I have enough time to get it to medbay in a useful manner.

You can also make salbutamol which is largely useless except to lifebringers and oculine which lets you weld without a mask.

Coffee robusta gives ephedrine but who will actually use it?

Bluespace tomatoes are great for breaking into and out of things, and with capascin oil you can survive a spacewalk if you land badly, but neither of those traits are that useful for non-antagging.

Mostly I find botany is underskilled and underutilized in combating antags, though there are some clever options like holy water bees.
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #296449

BeeSting12 wrote:Kudzu isnt even fun to fight against. Oh and one time I saw a guy walk onto a block of kudzu for one second and I had to drag him out with no limbs and in deep critical. Broken as fuck and takes little effort to make, needs to be removed/reworked.
flowering + aggro spreading
flowering forces you to "buckle" to it with every step instead of a random chance
aggro spreading calls ex_act() on you every buckle
so if you even step one tile in you're liable to get instaggnored and if you step two tiles in guess who's in crit?
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #296450

also deletion is definitely bugged to shit. Deleting it doesn't stop it from expanding so you need to SDQL/del-all it multiple times.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #296538

InsaneHyena wrote:>Let Pete loose against kudzu
Made me think.
You're supposed to drag Pete behind you like a lawnmower.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Togopal
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Togopal

Post by Togopal » #296542

Lumbermancer wrote:
InsaneHyena wrote:>Let Pete loose against kudzu
Made me think.
You're supposed to drag Pete behind you like a lawnmower.
what kind of fucking lawnmower do you use where you have to pull it behind you to use

make pete ridable and controllable but he throws you off whenever he gets aggroed

Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #296543

My lawnmower is a goat. And believe me goats are easier to pull than push.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #296581

This is a space vines
It is a oxygen eating, explosive, hardened, fireproof, toxic, thorny, aggressive, spreading, bluespace, flowering vine.

When it gets to that point, your only option is to leave and abandon ship
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #296709

Lumbermancer wrote:My lawnmower is a goat. And believe me goats are easier to pull than push.
>pulling goat

>suddenly he walks out of your grip

>go to get him

>die to vines

sigh
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #296865

>be me
>kudzu loose
>order weedkiller crate
>one hit kill weed nodes
>chem grenades that will clear an entire room of kudzu
Yeah kudzu is hard guys
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #296881

fuck i forgot to work on my kudzu rework pr

also oranges what do you do if cargo is blocked off by kudzu
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Owegno
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Owegno

Post by Owegno » #296882

Not making deploying kudzu instant would be a good nerf. Its insanely annoying to chase some botanist around the station as they shit out 15 kudzu before you can stop them.
WJohnston
Byond Username: WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #297125

Yeah, something like requiring you to stand still while you plant the kudzu (maybe for 10 seconds) would make it *way* more possible to stop someone who's just spamming them in the middle of the hall and able to cover the entire station in seconds.

Still, it needs more nerfs than that. Maybe a limit on how many mutation it can get so it's not EVERY kind?
Apparently I was an director or something.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #297150

Let us mutate goats to match the kudzu.
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #297214

aggressively gnawing goat
it can blow anything it chews up
bluespace goat
it can phase through walls
flowering goat
it starts growing more goats
etc etc
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #297216

kevinz000 wrote:aggressively gnawing goat
it can blow anything it chews up
bluespace goat
it can phase through walls
flowering goat
it starts growing more goats
etc etc
ss13: goat simulator dlc
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #297219

kevinz000 wrote: flowering forces you to "buckle" to it with every step instead of a random chance
>"every step instead of random chance"
>is literally random chance, 25% per step, non-stacking

Hmmmm.
私は完璧
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #297233

Remie Richards wrote:
kevinz000 wrote: flowering forces you to "buckle" to it with every step instead of a random chance
>"every step instead of random chance"
>is literally random chance, 25% per step, non-stacking

Hmmmm.
i failed to notice that it was changed to 25% instead of 100% 4 months ago...
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #297236

be more obvservant mekhi, the tables are watching.
私は完璧
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #297422

While we're on the subject of botany... I'm not sure who added this, but this is not cool.

Like seriously what the heck? This is what most of the station looked like at the 25 minute mark and it first: makes everything hard to see, and second: is easy to mass produce. Which is why most of the station looked like that. Botany smoke grief grenades have to stop. (you can even see someone in the left corner griefing with another.)
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #298254

It's all very well to say "muh weedkiller grenades" but once kudzu really gets going you're pissing in the wind. I carpetbombed a lowpop superkudzu outbreak with weedkiller clusterbombs and there wasstill so much in the walls it was growing back out within ten seconds (not to mention all the tiles which were weedkiller-resistant and didnt die. Plus if you're deploying the grenades by hand instead of by flying over it as a ghost you can't defend yourself from the 1-hit long ranged hitscan stuns that go through walls.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #298545

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:It's all very well to say "muh weedkiller grenades" but once kudzu really gets going you're pissing in the wind. I carpetbombed a lowpop superkudzu outbreak with weedkiller clusterbombs and there wasstill so much in the walls it was growing back out within ten seconds (not to mention all the tiles which were weedkiller-resistant and didnt die. Plus if you're deploying the grenades by hand instead of by flying over it as a ghost you can't defend yourself from the 1-hit long ranged hitscan stuns that go through walls.
Feel free to buff them then, what if they left a residue that prevented kudzu growing as well.

Look, I'm happy for people to further scale back kudzu's growth, but I think it would be more interesting to add some more counterplay options. or buff them.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #299345

Oh so they can buff it to COUNTER ITS OWN COUNTERS again?

Damn kudzu design must be hard when it's already immune to everything afters a few minutes.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #299375

kudzu on wall tiles is honestly the main problem here, goats can't get it and grenades can't get it, it's similar to gang tags but you can't remove kudzu with soap
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #299400

it shouldn't be growing on walls tbh, seems like fridge logic, honestly that would be the best nerf you could do since it would cripple it's grow rate.
Toroic

Post by Toroic » #300382

oranges wrote:it shouldn't be growing on walls tbh, seems like fridge logic, honestly that would be the best nerf you could do since it would cripple it's grow rate.
Kudzu currently only exists to let botanists end the round at will. It's not useful for anything (I've never seen or heard of it used to spread non-mutating useful kudzu) and immensely destructive with very little work when seeded in a few spots in maint. Nerfing it to a mild annoyance would be a step, but I really question why it needs to exist at all. Botany has a lot of antag tools already.
Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #300544

to end the round at will
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #301990

I think Kudzu should be harder to create tbh. At the minute, I'm pretty sure it just needs sugar and a bunch of weeds to make