Advance Plasma Cutter & Mining

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Advance Plasma Cutter & Mining

Post by Steelpoint » #298268

I don't know if I'm the only person with this concern, but I feel the advance plasma cutter is utterly broken for mining.

What I mean is that I feel it trivializes the act of mining minerals. With it you can smash your way through the entire planet and grab absurd amounts of minerals with no fear from ever being attacked as you can either shoot a threat from range or ignore it and run past. Its also very easy to resupply the Plasma Cutter, it only needs one piece of RAW plasma to fully refuel, and it takes a long time to run out of fuel.

In one recent round, on my first trip back from mining (the time when round starts to the first ash storm) I got 2,500 points. Yet on my next trip, with a advance plasma cutter, I managed to acquire just shy of 10,000 mining points, and enough minerals to supply RnD forever.

While I've yet to use the normal Plasma Cutter, but I feel the advance version simply removes any threat to mining. Its hard to die when you can just shoot your way out of any problem.
Lazengann
Byond Username: Lazengann

Re: Advance Plasma Cutter & Mining

Post by Lazengann » #298280

So what problems does this cause that need to be fixed

Also an upgraded KA is more useful in combat
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #298281

As I said it lets the user ram through the rocks and walls and harvest so many minerals it becomes redundant. In one quick run I was able to rack up 10,000 points worth of minerals with the plasma cutter.
Lazengann
Byond Username: Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #298282

So what
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #298339

Just like in xenobio you get grey slimes by the ton once you upgrade the grinder, if you upgrade miners they do their basic function almost mindlessly and can focus on the high-end stuff.
Although plasma should get less valuable with mass exportation in cargo.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #298352

It's in that weird spot where it was meant to be a combat oriented tool but it's utility got buffed to fuck because it was hardly used and they wanted to buff mechs too. A good analogy is Nunu in the current league meta.

There was a nerf against open air shooting with plasma cutters, but honestly they are still too safe. I'd argue upping the fuel consumption (so you get less shots per full charge and it takes more plasma to reload fully) and lowering it's ranges and increasing it's shooting delay would put it in a more balanced spot.

However this will be met with extreme resistance since the current meta for lavaland is dual plasma cutters for safe and easy mining and quick dispatch for megafauna.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #299013

The mining function got buffed because they nerfed the range for combat regardless once the orm is upgraded it doesnt matter if you have a upgraded ka or a fucking aoe ka. Infinite minerals is guaranteed
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
4dplanner
Byond Username: 4DPlanner
Github Username: 4dplanner

Post by 4dplanner » #299165

It takes two ore to recharge fully, so I cannot take this complaint seriously
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #299166

Two pieces of one of the most common minerals on the planet.

Hmmmm. Real hard to resupply.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #299169

Mech plasma cutter should probably remain the same since mechs are boss incompetent and you can blitz the basic mining mobs without them anyway.
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #299172

Rounds barely last 45 minutes, and even then you're not guaranteed to get minerals let alone a steady supply of them in mid/lowpop. Miners also don't want to spend the whole round mining but they want to enjoy the stuff in lavaland too. With the cutter they can explore and mine at the same time within the short time window they get before the round is over.
Ignies
Byond Username: Ignies

Post by Ignies » #299210

I believe the change was needed, you could just steamroll people with them and end up with a pretty collection of arms.