Clockcult Improvement Drive

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Re: Clockcult Improvement Drive

Post by onleavedontatme » #303872

Bottom post of the previous page:

https://tgstation13.org/tgdb/irvpolltally.php?id=171

Dont have to take my word for it either. Nuclear emergency (a small, but powerful, external threat that the crew unites against) is the 2nd most popular mode.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #303875

Too late
Kel
Byond Username: Jaraxxus

Post by Kel » #303878

blood cult also used to be a small elite magical nuke ops for awhile but that was a resounding failure so be careful with how you do this
just because nuke ops is an external threat doesn't mean external threat = good
bman
Github User
Byond Username: Basilman
Github Username: Militaires

Post by bman » #303905

Kor wrote:https://tgstation13.org/tgdb/irvpolltally.php?id=171

Dont have to take my word for it either. Nuclear emergency (a small, but powerful, external threat that the crew unites against) is the 2nd most popular mode.
spergs about correlation != causation

but no for real anything is good as long as you dont turn it into blood cult but with a new texture
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #303943

Turning clockcuck into war ops but you gotta siege the magic fortress could work, as long as the clockcucks are confined to their base.

Hell, now that I think about it it sounds pretty awesome to still have this as a conversion mode. Leaving everything the same, in order for the clockcucks to expand their ranks they'd have to nab crew from the invasion waves, a tall order.

This could actually make clockcuck *fun*.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Post by Xhuis » #304048

The way I'm aiming to have it right now is that, in their big ol' cube, they have a machine called the City of Cogs beckoner mounted on the bottom wall. Not only does this serve as the exit location for all of the portals that open up on the station once the Ark starts channeling after a certain period of time, but they can use it to go to a random teleporter beacon or a random event spawn. To get back to the City of Cogs (working name for their cube), they can use a slab to open up a one-way rift that lasts for ~a minute and gives off light. They can go through this as well as toss in objects and drag people with them. Certain objects i.e. construction materials and high-sensitivity contraband can be tossed into a core of some sort to give them more potential, which is the name of what they'll use to build and invoke stuff.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #304081

Please have the final invasion of the clock cult base use the station Gateway. It would be a fun use for it!
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #304091

Right now, to allow pretty much everyone anywhere to have an access point, one-way portals open up all over the station (at every event spawn) that lead to the City of Cogs beckoner. I could probably make the gateway turn on too without any issue.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #304166

I really don't want the clockcucks to invade the station, otherwise the crew are both going to have to patrol the whole station constantly to prevent any clockcuck bases from springing up and also siege the extremely well-defended clockcuck base.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #304235

And on the other hand I think patroling the station watching out for portals would be fun. You have to kill them before they spread too much bronze out from their base. The area is completely bronze? I bet it's a giant portal.

Bronze doors might still need something like an ability to open in 10 seconds rather than just now shut to non cult members.

It always seemed unfortunate that the "right" way to bronze the station was to hide it behind some non-bronze in maint or make a megabase when you're already winning. Sneaking into a department to bronze it up gang style seemed so fun, but it was hard to get the RA or power to do it.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #304295

With the potential (potential is the name of the resource) system, invading and expanding onto the station is a tradeoff. If you expand onto the station and build a small outpost, that's a chunk of potential that you can't use to defend the Ark in the City of Cogs, and you can't get it back - only hope that the gambit is worth it and you can get more before anyone finds out about your presence there. You can very easily play like the oldcult and play entirely offensively, using up all your potential on attacks and small outposts - but when the Ark comes, there's going to be absolutely nothing defending it save the brass windows that it spawns inside, and any schmuck with a fire extinguisher that manages to sneak into one of the portals means you've lost. Or you can ration it out and spend the entire prep phase building a huge and deadly funhouse of traps and sadness, but then you won't have any resources from the station - no medical supplies, weapons, or armor; you just have to rely on the limited things the slab can provide for you.
John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Post by John_Oxford » #304296

just remove it shitters

remove gang and go fix blood cult if you want to be useful
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #304325

Your ass must be jealous of all the shit that comes out of your mouth, Oxford. That comment offers nothing helpful to anyone but you. If you'd like me to take you seriously, say something worth reading.
John_Oxford
Github User

Post by John_Oxford » #304370

Xhuis wrote:say something worth reading.
>you'd have to read it to know if it was worth reading or not
>that autistic

EDIT:

However i'll oblige since you'd much rather me flesh it out into a paragraph then tell you in one sentence what my opinion is.

Clock cult is a game mode with many many many many flaws, culturally it is significantly shunned, unwanted, and quite broken balance and game play wise. Even if you do address some of the problems presented from a FEW people who took the time to explain to you what the problem was other than the game mode itself, in no way is that going to make the game mode all together completely fixed and accepted by the community, if you are incapable of seeing that, and too hell bent on fulfilling the requirements of your ego, then i'm going to quote this very thread where i simply explained to you that the concept of the game mode, how it played, how its made, how it interacts with the 6000 other aspects of /tg/, are all flawed. Which is why there was a removal PR for it, which is why everyone hates it, the only reason its still here is because Joan felt the need to PERSONALLY insure that it stays in the game for unknown reasons.

Attempting to change how it plays and how it runs isn't going to change player opinion and it never will, your inflated ego and overwhelming amount of unjustified pride for a project that is a complete failure speaks leagues about your intelligence and self awareness. Please re-evaluate what you are doing with this project, the very few reasons that it's still here, and the very few reasons that you think -fixing- something that is not broken, but practically destroyed, is supposed to be a better idea than removing it.

Next time please stick with the shitposts and acknowledge them as a act.

If that response "isn't worth reading" for you, ill go and make another thread with another 15 paragraphs if that'll satisfy you [ colorful graphs included ]
Last edited by John_Oxford on Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #304373

Well, yeah, I read everything that's posted here. That doesn't make it worth reading!
John_Oxford
Github User

Post by John_Oxford » #304380

Read the edit.

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

John_Oxford
Github User

Post by John_Oxford » #304381

also really take into consideration how many people in this thread have said "remove it" other than me

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #304383

I, for one, would like to say that removing it allows you to add conversion umbrage.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #304388

(Note: my comments about 4th most popular gamemode might not be 100% accurate as I'm not really sure how verifiable the poll is, but it's still an official poll, and I'll stand by it.)
John_Oxford wrote:-snip-
See, that wasn't so hard! As scathing as it is, it's still more useful than a shitpost. I ignore shitposts because they're shitposts. In case you've lost sight, the point of them is to be useless.

In response to your post, I disagree with a lot of things you've said. You have a right to hate it, of course, and I'm not going to try to talk you down from that. But there are still a lot of people that do like it, and as I'm sure we both know, there is never a vocal minority that loves something except in rare occasions. Everyone does not hate it; in fact, it scored higher than bloodcult on the highest-rated gamemode list of the recent player vote about which gamemode they liked the most (4th overall, behind traitor, nuclear, and something else I can't remember, I think traitorchan?)

I don't think the mode is flawed in every possible aspect. While the basebuilding design isn't currently very effective on the actual station, I still think that it's a unique concept that still has potential in another design, i.e. Kor's idea, which I'm currently working on. Gameplay I can't entirely speak for as I haven't been around for quite a long time, but if it scored as 4th most-liked mode, then I think most of the playerbase disagrees with you that it's fundamentally and irreversibly flawed. Everyone does not hate it. The reason a removal PR was made is because of a vocal minority, who has either always disliked the mode or always disliked the conversion it involved, being fed up with their pleas being ignored after several months of incessant repetition of them wearing down on everyone else.

If changing how it plays and runs won't change player opinion, well, most of the players have already shown to me that they like the mode. I think that's perfectly fine, but I do think that the gamemode could be more than it is right now, and that an overhaul like this is the way to do it. Either you haven't been around for very long or you've deliberately blinded yourself to everything but your own confirmation bias among the echo chamber of the vocal minority you seem to associate with, but if changing how something works doesn't change player opinion, then why do people like the mode? When it came out, it was incredibly clunky, and even I know that. To answer your other question, Joan continued working on it after I was burnt out because she saw the potential in it to be much better than it was, and because she decided it'd be fun to work on as a personal project. She's taken the project leaps and bounds ahead of the sorry state I released it in, and while your statement about it being revert-worthy was true when I released it, I don't think it is now.

If that hasn't convinced you, perhaps think about bloodcult and Robustin. When bloodcult went through its stint of overhauls and tweaks, it was one of the most hated modes we've ever had. Through blood, sweat, and tears, Robustin has brought it into fun territory again, and many more people like it. If you believe that fundamental changes to a mode won't change how people think of it, then, and I feel rude for saying that your opinion isn't factual and you aren't justified to it, but it is! Your opinion is wrong in this case, and no amount of belief perseverance will change that. Why do you think people still play? Still come back every day? If we as a community make no effort to keep things fresh and interesting with changes like this, then there's no reason to. I'm not trying to claim I've been instrumental in the players' interest - in fact, with my frequent hiatuses, I'd say I've played a very small part, if any - but it's with changes and listening to people's legitimate feedback that the people stay here and don't leave.

As for your personal comments about me, I don't think I'm prideful about this project. If I was proud of what I had made, then why would I collaborate with the only other person who cares about the mode to make it better based on what players who actually enjoy the game think about it? I think that it's not living up to its potential, and I think that it can, so I'm going to make that as real as I can! As for the ego part, I try to be as humble as I can. I might be egotistical sometimes though, so I can't avoid that. Just call me out on it when I actually am, which I'm not in my efforts to improve this mode. Personally, I think you're being very callous, and putting forth too much mental effort into a small, community-run free-to-play game on an outdated engine. I think you might've lost sight of the reason you play this game to begin with. If all you do is scream and shout and stomp on the forums, are you still enjoying it? If you're not, then why do you stick around? Why continually degrade your own patience and happiness just to get angry at other people? I think you should take some time off, and find other games to play. I did it for four months, and it's honestly one of the best things I've ever done in my time with this game.

I have considered whenever anyone speaks about asking me to remove it. I was initially very doubtful about the whole gamemode, and was fully prepared to remove it, but seeing what it could be has given me the drive to continue working on it. And if it really doesn't work out, then I'll get off my soapbox and admit that yes, you were right, it is and was a flawed project. But I don't think it's right for me to do that; I think it's a call Joan should make, given how much effort and how much time she's put into keeping this brassy little boat floating along.

Thank you for taking the time to type out an actual response and feedback. As angry as you might be about it, it's leagues more helpful than the shitposts you insisted on doing in the first place.
Armhulen wrote:I, for one, would like to say that removing it allows you to add conversion umbrage.
Armhulen, man. I like you, you're a chill dude, but you obsess over shadowlings way, way too much. I'm probably never going to finish them, at least as a conversion antagonist. Opinions on that are more divided than even ones on this. Don't cling to a false hope that they'll ever come to fruition, because it'll only lead to disappointment when they don't. Enjoy the game for what it is, not what it could be.
Last edited by Xhuis on Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #304389

I think by almost any metric Nukeops is our 2nd most popular mode but I was so disappointed to learn that poll was exponentially weighted - it destroys almost any value you can get besides the broadest strokes. The difference between someone's #1 and #2 vote is the same as the difference between being someone's 2nd favorite mode and their least favorite mode.

So you see more divisive modes like clock cult getting over 50% of its "vote value" from less than 10% of the actual voters.

I really wish MSO had just released each mode's average ranking, its a far simpler and more accurate metric.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #304390

I wasn't actually aware of that, that does skew the whole vote quite a bit. I'll still stand by it, but I will put a disclaimer in my response. Thanks for the heads-up!
John_Oxford
Github User

Post by John_Oxford » #304394

Xhuis wrote:-snip-
I'll go ahead and agree with oldman in regards to poll weighting and how it reflected the opinion of a minority vs a majority.

Then apply that to what you've said, i'll admit to being callous and very abrasive on the simple premise of my opinion towards the game mode as it's developed over the past six months and how it's affected other game modes and day to day play, and i still continue to believe this is how other people feel along with it, now by all means i may be wrong, it may be unjustified to hate the mode, it may be on the simple principle that you haven't developed it at all and all Joan has done is maintained it and perhaps added one or two requested features. But neither one of us at this state in time are capable of speaking on behalf of a majority because there is no majority present.

Even with a vote, even with a poll, say you got 100 people to vote (doubtful, most players don't participate in votes or polls) there are 3763 fourm accounts right now. Let's be very generous and say that all but 500 of those are people who have quit or are bots. Even at that VERY skewed ratio, that would still only be one fifth of the entire population of tg. That's even if all 100 of those people voted yes in favor of clock cult.

However, if you take into consideration of all the people that play here, would it really be illogical to assume, given that you've acknowledged that there are flaws and game play issues with clock cult, that the majority of those people don't like the game mode in its current state? And would it be logical to assume that even if you do change it, even at its base core concept, that the bad taste it left in player's mouths isn't going to go away, and that they are going to continue to hate it on the same premise that they hated old clock cult. As they've always done, as they always will. Because again, it's tg.

I speak alot about this topic, and robustin himself along with several notable coders can agree, i've spoken against maintainers and alot of the code base on the principle that even after say a thousand hours of work the PR's are still denied on the premise that the maintainers see in public opinion that the merge is bad without acknowledging anything that's changed.

Just some personal oxford advice, if your going to spend several hundred hours on making something good, make sure the actual majority of players like it instead of relying on skewed polls or the opinion of notable figures so that you don't waste your time on it and become bitter like me.

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #304400

Can't we just get the a solid voting system? What's the point of this convoluted mess that is worth absolutely nothing due to its weighting mechanics?
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #304402

John_Oxford wrote:
Xhuis wrote:-snip-
-also snip-
Man, why can't polls ever be simple?

In any case, from what I've seen personally, I do think that it's illogical to assume that most people hate the mode. The people I've seen dismissing it seems to be mostly the same group of people who shout it down at every turn, only wanting to see it gone for some reason or another. These are people like InsaneHyena; they're not like, bad people, or anything, but that's the group they generally fall into. The people talking about their enjoyment seems to be a lot more varied, and even if it's small as a poll, the player vote still provides what I consider to be mostly reliable information, which makes me more apt to trust it than someone who only says that the mode is terrible without saying anything on why.

As for the "bad taste" thing, I might just be overly optimistic, or it's just me, but that can very easily be shifted. It worked with bloodcult, and it's worked with me in the past when frustrating issues with a feature were changed. I remember playing atmos tech for a few rounds a few years ago, being frustrated with how clunky it was, and hating it and never going back. Later on, I got randomly assigned the role, but I didn't want to be a jerk and suicide, so I asked for a primer on the job. The other atmos tech was kind enough to show me around, and I noticed he had a weird device in his hands called the RPD. Once I picked that puppy up atmos tech became by and large my favorite job. One item made my least favorite job my most favorite in a flash. I still love messing with atmos, and I feel like I have the RPD to thank for it!

Believe me, I know about PR denials. I've had big projects, small projects, and labors of love all shut down for reasons both understandable and downright bullshit. As for player opinion, because polls seem to be pretty inaccurate, I'm willing to make big changes and spend a lot of time getting the thing to a workable, playable state, and then testmerging it in that barebones form to see if people enjoy the concept. I've been working passively on this thing whenever I feel like doing it, and I think I can safely say that it''s 100% playable right now, even without some of the systems in place. I still might be a few days in getting it to an enjoyable state, plus I have to polish it up, but I'm willing to take the risk and spend the time on that. I hate to sound sappy, but honestly, the process of making this kind of thing is just as good as the payoff of me hearing that people like it and have fun with the mode. I like coding, I won't deny that. I've coded tons of random crap that would never get merged just because I wanted to. Did I ever tell you about the time I added a harness that gave people electrical powers, and if they died they dropped it for someone else to pick up? Oh, and it also made you into an antag. I called it the electrotherapy harness. You get the point, though. I'm perfectly willing to spend time on something even knowing that it might or won't get in, just because I think doing so is part of the fun.

So, if the forums aren't helpful in opinion, and polls aren't either, that leaves one option: getting it directly from the players, and the easiest way to do that is to get a working version and testmerge that sucker for a few rounds throughout the day. I'm much more willing to do so because oranges (or optimumtact, but I'm sure you know that already), the most kneejerk/uncaring maintainer when it came to closing and shutting down PRs, was recently removed from the git. That is, in fact, the whole reason that I came back and started working on this project to begin with.

I also want to point out that yeah, while Joan has for the most part developed the project. I don't think you should be minimizing my own role in the project either. She's carried the torch a very far distance, and made it all the better for it, but I also made the main mode and the framework for it. I'd say she's made about ~40% of the actual content in the mode, and about ~80% of the code optimizations. Pretty much everything balance and QoL related is also her doing. But I still did a thing! I did the thing! I helped, even if she did more.

So yeah, I'm willing to spend the time on the project. Even you agree that it's probably still salvageable, and I think that it's worth the risk and my own time and sanity to do. Heck, what's the worst that happens? People don't like it, and it gets cut out. No great loss, especially considering that the mode is perfectly playable as-is!
Steelpoint wrote:Can't we just get the a solid voting system? What's the point of this convoluted mess that is worth absolutely nothing due to its weighting mechanics?
Mainly because *mumble mumble*
Also, *mumble mumble*
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #304422

Oldman Robustin wrote:I think by almost any metric Nukeops is our 2nd most popular mode but I was so disappointed to learn that poll was exponentially weighted
The fuck are you talking about? it's an IRV poll and ranks your choices by the order you choose, the only exponential weighting is how it chooses when two options are given equal number of votes and it needs to tie break (in which case votes higher in the order get more value - the total vote score value)

The end results are raw counts
Last edited by oranges on Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #304423

Xhuis wrote:(Note: my comments about 4th most popular gamemode might not be 100% accurate as I'm not really sure how verifiable the poll is, but it's still an official poll, and I'll stand by it.)
You can
John_Oxford
Github User

Post by John_Oxford » #304432

>the dead citrusfag defends a shitty voting system
>the dead citrusfags next post will either be a "hurr oxford on your ignore list" or a indepth explanation as to why his voting system is good and not horribly biased

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #304433

There's nothing to defend, Robustin just straight up made up lies because he's mad gang and bloodcult are so far down

As an aside, I never asked them to run this poll using the IRV, it's meant to be for headmin elections.

In summary eat shit Oxford you're a cuck
J_Madison
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Akesson

Post by J_Madison » #304438

It's 5 am this one comes from someone tired.

I appreciate the effort and dedication you two put into your work. The continuous support and development of the mode has moved it and advanced it to the point it is one of the most developed and least buggy game modes even as one of the youngest.

While it's mechanics can be a little unique, a downstream veteran has said this to me;
Dumb players push for dumbed down gameplay and features, which bring dumb players.
Which becomes upstream and is forced downstream.

Your defiance of the attitude of dumbing down and nerfing gameplay is positive for the playerbase in general. And any downstream versions of SS13.

And as a security player, clockcult is by far the most unique and challenging antagonist I've come across. I prefer fighting them over bloodcult or gang any day.

Best of luck on the development.
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #304455

Oranges, I got the explanation straight from MSO and it matches the results. The vote itself was ranked entirely by who got the most #1 votes and the "value scoring" was done exponentially to prevent ties, meaning even if a mode did well above average, liked by all but loved by none it would lose to a mode loved by 20% of our voters and hated by 80%. You seem smart enough to understand why that's a terrible system.

The words straight from the top was that a #1 vote was worth 10pts, a #2 vote was worth 5 points, and a #10 vote was worth next to nothing.
John_Oxford
Github User

Post by John_Oxford » #304472

oranges wrote:There's nothing to defend, Robustin just straight up made up lies because he's mad gang and bloodcult are so far down

As an aside, I never asked them to run this poll using the IRV, it's meant to be for headmin elections.

In summary eat shit Oxford you're a cuck
your a fucking citrus fruit and im a person

all you get to do is get ass (skin?) raped by worms and shit while your apple girlfriend gets the same treatment by the same worm

and you know what you can do?

nothing.

your a citrus fruit

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #304476

Mad.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #304514

Please keep y'all's fighting out of this thread. If you have problems that aren't related to the revamp, take them elsewhere or to PMs.
J_Madison wrote:snip
Thanks for the kind words. While I'm glad you enjoy it, I also do think that those upset players really do have points about the mode, and that it's important to regard all feedback, even the negative and sometimes useless. The mode does have its share of problems, even as by and large the best gamemode in terms of code and polish. I still like it in its current state, but I also want to try it out in another format too, and I have Joan's, the only person who's kept the more going for this long, blessing to do it, so hey, why not?

Speaking of that design, opinions from you and other players would also be appreciated. Little is certain right now, but the gist involves the cult having a prep phase in which they're safely isolated on another z and build defenses to protect the Ark. Their resources to begin with are very limited, but they can take outings to the station to gain more through​ conversion etc. After a set amount of time that scales with population, the crew is alerted, and portals to the other z open up across the station. The crew have to get to the Ark and destroy it, while the servants have to defend it and hope their defenses are well built.
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #304541

I'm surprised no-one has bothered to compare this to abductors yet. It seems like it would use many of the same mechanics. If everything wasn't already cult sprited I could even see it rethemed as a more serious alien takeover.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #304544

It's similar to abductors, but not in a huge way. They both have home bases they go to and from, but instead of agents and scientists, there's just servants. The crew is also advised to attack the base directly, which isn't typically possible with abductor UFOs, and definitely not possible without their intervention.
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #313111

as something that can be improved right now, Void Volt is pretty much unusable.

It needs to allow you to move very slowly while having it charged up, as all it takes it one idiot cog-scarab brushing past you to knock you out of being able to cast it at the moment.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #313144

That should be easy enough to fix.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #314843

Is it wrong to think clockcult having daily updates was one of the leading causes of why it ended up being bad?

It was basically being balanced/tweaked from 2 steps back with each pr, was very odd.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #314844

Perhaps, but I think it speaks to more of an intrinsic flaw in the core of clockcuck that never got resolved. TG is just too fast for a mode like clockcuck, heavily focused on playing slowly and building up, to ever work.

It's so bad that when I play HoS I can pretty certainly tell that if enough time goes by that there's a 50/50 shot it's either clockcuck or nukers, and that if I don't find the clockcuck base soon they're going to instantly roll the whole station.

It's awful.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #314881

then make /tg/ slow again dumdum
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #314882

Why is /tg/ a lot faster now in terms of movement? We slowed down for a long time then out of the blue everything is almost back to the same speeds as pre-speed nerfs.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #314884

It's not.
Are you sure its not the fact the default FPS is now 20fps (actually its the server default, which is 20 iirc) instead of the old classic 11fps?
That and you can change your fps yourself too.
私は完璧
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #314887

It has to do with the server performance or something. When I came back from my year long break I noticed immediately that everyone was moving very fast by any standard, even before I changed my in game FPS to 60 and I was around 15 to 20.

I honestly thought someone reverted the movement changes until I noticed eventually that the server performance was so good that it unintentionally made movement speed faster across the board. Considering the last time I played was at the height of slow speed I really felt a massive difference in movement that took me a while to get used to.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #314912

Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #314913

Again, kor, that's a smoothing, not actually faster.
So it's still a perception issue like I was saying.
私は完璧
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #314916

Whatever the origin is I do think that overall our movement is back to the near old 'fast speed' we used to have before the movement decrease.

Better or for worse, I do think slower movement speeds encourage more careful thinking of your movement and placing whereas fast moving speeds encourage loose run and gun play styles.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #314949

DemonFiren wrote:then make /tg/ slow again dumdum
If you want to rebalance every antag so that they're slower paced and clockcuck is less uniquely shit you're welcome to do so.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #315005

ShadowDimentio wrote:
DemonFiren wrote:then make /tg/ slow again dumdum
If you want to rebalance every antag so that they're slower paced and clockcuck is less uniquely shit you're welcome to do so.
i said make /tg/ slow again
not i'll make /tg/ slow again
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Muncher21
Byond Username: Muncher21

Post by Muncher21 » #315017

I personally am I big fan of clock cult, and just have a few suggestions.

Give components a tiny image or picture associated with each one. My main issue when learning the mode is I didn't understand what the components were or what they did. This is just a shitty mock-up and you'd obviously like to keep the abbreviation, but it gives you an idea. In a similar vein, these could really be middle justified, so they spread across the entire banner, making it more prominent and easier to read. (I don't know shit about UI code so I don't know how difficult this is)

Make the no-movement spell restrict you to a walk (or slower?), it's incredibly frustrating to charging the perfect volt blaster down viro hall, just to have one of your retard cult members push you one tile. None of these spells are that good anyways, so this may make then used more.

Nerf or change clockwork scarabs. You get access to it before Anima Fragment, and the scarab is better? (Not sure I've never seen one in game). Regardless it seems like scarabs completely over shadow Anima Fragments, which is a shame because they seem more interesting.

Make it more clear more then one runes can be placed on a tile. I feel like stun-sigil + convert-sigil is a very powerful defense tactic, but I've never seen them used on the same tile, which the wiki says you should be able to do. Once again, this may be I just never notice these traps, but it still could be clearer.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #315040

Remove components, make everything work on power, which you must drain from the station. Replace caches with magic power sinks. Replace daemons with bigger magic power sinks with more steam and cogs.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #315309

Thanks for the feedback.
Components are likely going to be phased out slowly, if at all; I intend to make them more meaningful and less "all the components ever/no components" as time goes on. A power drain gameplay might be interesting, but I'd have to think for a while.
Icons of the components in the slab is something I really want to do, but unfortunately I don't think tgui supports it.
Muncher21 wrote:Make the no-movement spell restrict you to a walk (or slower?), it's incredibly frustrating to charging the perfect volt blaster down viro hall, just to have one of your retard cult members push you one tile. None of these spells are that good anyways, so this may make then used more.

Nerf or change clockwork scarabs. You get access to it before Anima Fragment, and the scarab is better? (Not sure I've never seen one in game). Regardless it seems like scarabs completely over shadow Anima Fragments, which is a shame because they seem more interesting.

Make it more clear more then one runes can be placed on a tile. I feel like stun-sigil + convert-sigil is a very powerful defense tactic, but I've never seen them used on the same tile, which the wiki says you should be able to do. Once again, this may be I just never notice these traps, but it still could be clearer.
1. I've been hearing that a lot, but I'm unsure if I want to go that route as I may be called out for buffing the cult and doing nothing to compensate.
2. As fond as I am of cogscarabs, they do seem to cause a lot more trouble then they are worth, and I'm deliberating if they're worth a removal.
3. The new Recollection points it out several times; the stun/conversion trap is something people just haven't done, unfortunately. It's definitely a thing!