The Extended Announcement (aka the bat signal for greytide)

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

The Extended Announcement (aka the bat signal for greytide)

Post by BeeSting12 » #303094

The extended announcement initially sounded like a good idea. Who wouldn't like it? You get to trust your coworkers completely so you can do cool things such as the station goals and awesome autism forts plus RP. What's not to love? Well, I'll tell you.

I just had a round where someone released watervapor roundstart, and after extended was announced the, and I don't mean minor IC crime, I mean literal greytide was kicked up five notches. Botany mutation bananas thrown everywhere, assaulting officers and taking batons, one guy that I gulagged threw the beacon in the lava so noone else could be gulagged, botany mutation bananas on the shuttle, etc. I had to upload a security can designate people as nonhuman law and distribute the armory before ten minutes. This is not the intended point of the extended announcement, there was very few players doing their jobs, roleplaying beyond ;HALP SHITCURITY and ;GREYTIDE RIOTS!!, cooperating to do station goals, etc.

My theory is that it tells players that they didn't get their antagonist roll, nobody else did so they won't have valids to hunt, it isn't conversion based so they have no chance of being antagonist, so they decide to do the next best thing: Be shit to their fellow players. This may sound like a player problem, but it also is because of this feature meant to allow players to trust each other so they can do cool things. I guess the only bright side of it is that I realized there was no antagonists so I ahelped the situation, unfortunately no admins were online until the end of the round.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Re: The Extended Announcement (aka the bat signal for minor

Post by kevinz000 » #303096

sounds like you would of won the fight if you had me playing
BeeSting12

Re: The Extended Announcement (aka the bat signal for greyti

Post by BeeSting12 » #303099

We did win the fight. We killed anyone causing problems and went full hitler sec. This is an issue because we shouldn't have to go full hitler sec on extended. Part policy but I feel like a lot of it would've been dealt with if admins were on. PKP came on later and asked for the botanist names so at least they'll be noted or banned.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
bman
Github User
Byond Username: Basilman
Github Username: Militaires

Post by bman » #303100

kevinz000 wrote:sounds like you would of won the fight if you had me playing
the kevinz in its native hunting grounds, here the kevinz is pouncing on the opportunity to brag. note how it moves its back muscles to carefully coordinate where it lands, it positions its arm to prepare for a swipe once it is close to landing.

using this ingenious hunting method it is able to take down its prey before it can give chase, and thus avoid needless expenditure of energy.

on topic: i support this idea remove the announcement pls
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #303111

It's "would have" you retard
Kel
Byond Username: Jaraxxus

Post by Kel » #303115

just remove extended from the rotation and reserve it for admins to force so they can do events
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #303124

Or keep it as is and punish the greytiders
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Post by danno » #303125

I thought seeing you say "would of" last night was a fluke, kevin
learn english you rat FUCK
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit
BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #303128

XDTM wrote:Or keep it as is and punish the greytiders
If you mean ICly, that's what we did. If you mean OOCly, the only admin online was playing so nothing got dealt with till Exalted got on and took care of the griefing botanists (i think)
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:

hows my driving?
Limski
Byond Username: Limski

Post by Limski » #303132

I'm guilty of severely greytiding every time there's an extended announcement because I'd rather contribute to the shuttle being called faster and move on to the next round and hunt valids than sit there and actually use my brain to work on autism projects and the like.

Secret Extended usually produces more fun rounds so I support the removal of the extended announcements
Haevacht
Byond Username: Capital_H

Post by Haevacht » #303222

captain sawrge wrote:
It's "would have" you retard
1% of a coder, 2% of a spriter, 97% >:3c

Random name on Bagel, usually assistant.
danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Post by danno » #303223

please be patient, they don't teach good english in North Korea
dude,
kevin
remember?
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #303228

Look at all this on-topic admin discussion.
TheColdTurtle
Byond Username: TheColdTurtle

Post by TheColdTurtle » #303233

Limski wrote:I'm guilty of severely committing minor IC crimes every time there's an extended announcement because I'd rather contribute to the shuttle being called faster and move on to the next round and hunt valids than sit there and actually use my brain to work on autism projects and the like.
TG station
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #303322

The extended announcement, as I always said, was a stupid mistake from the beginning
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #303324

Rework Station Goals to be more interesting, complicated, and involved with all departments so that the crew has something to work towards in Extended.

Station Shield is pathetically easy, a single guy with a space suit can get it done within minutes.

Bluespace Cannon does not even work. Assuming it does all you need is Mining and RnD to finish it.

DNA Vault is the most interesting as it requires the entire station to cooperate, but its rewards are very meh.

Maybe even consider making extended ramp up the chance for random events to occur, or make there be a larger event that can trigger, maybe a hivebot invasion or all the food on the station disappears.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #303331

Steelpoint wrote: DNA Vault is the most interesting as it requires the entire station to cooperate, but its rewards are very meh.
>meh
>halved click cooldowns

really?
私は完璧
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #303332

Maybe I've only gotten the less than stellar rewards in the few rounds we got it running.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #303334

Super agreed. Remove the announcement. Extended is great, the mild grey tide, people fucking around, rage cage, "gangs", everyone engaging with something is bread and butter of SS13. In fact, i've put Extended as my 3rd favorite mode in the recent poll.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
XDTM
Github User

Post by XDTM » #303335

Limski wrote:I'm guilty of severely committing minor IC crimes every time there's an extended announcement because I'd rather contribute to the shuttle being called faster and move on to the next round and hunt valids than sit there and actually use my brain to work on autism projects and the like.

Secret Extended usually produces more fun rounds so I support the removal of the extended announcements
So we should make it secret so you don't grief and make the round shit so people leave?
It seems your attitude is the issue rather than the announcement. If you make a point of ruining a round of course it's not gonna be fun.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Limski
Byond Username: Limski

Post by Limski » #303360

XDTM wrote:

So we should make it secret so you don't grief and make the round shit so people leave?
It seems your attitude is the issue rather than the announcement. If you make a point of ruining a round of course it's not gonna be fun.
I was explaining what's going on in the mind of every greyshit on the server every time they see the extended announcement, if you think that greyshirts need to be punished OOC for committing minor IC crimes then that turns into a policy issue
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #303362

Steelpoint wrote:Maybe I've only gotten the less than stellar rewards in the few rounds we got it running.
Adding on to the click cooldown thing.
I forgot when I made it I made it apply to ALL click cooldowns.

Which means you can even shoot faster, as well as the mudamudamudamudamuda punches.
私は完璧
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #303418

People will play extended when there isnt a 95% chance to survive a round by locking yourself in a locker room locker
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #303438

Extended announcement being greytide signal is a policy issue.
Extended being announced at all is a code issue.
Imo it shouldn't be announced as all memes aside I thought this was about paranoia?
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #303443

I'm pretty sure I mentioned something about it going against paranoia
John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Post by John_Oxford » #303453

Give me free reign to modify sec during extended rounds and keep the annoucement.

Im the best at making things unfun for shitters
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

XDTM
Github User

Post by XDTM » #303488

The point of extended is being able to complete long-term projects (for example, xenobio as a free golem). People are usually not going to start working towards stuff that only pays off after 40+ minutes since they could be murdered or, more likely, the round could end before payoff. And trying and failing for several rounds hoping that this one is extended is really annoying, since you're basically wasting your time for no payoff round after round, and leads to burnout. Having a mode that says that for once, you don't have to worry about external factors and will let you complete that idea is good.

What is not good is people that hate that this kind of round is different from the other rounds, and try to turn it into a grief festival with a 20 minute shuttlecall, completely voiding its reason to exist. Considering 100% of highpop and ~80?% of lowpop is normal rounds with valids, we could let people with long-term projects have a round for them without complaining for the lack of valids.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #303491

The type of players that we have cannot handle nice things such as being told that it's extended. The announcement needs to be removed or they need to be banned, I honestly don't care which but seeing every window on the station broken and half the station mutated into flies or golems because of botany's shitty plants every time the extended announcement is announced is getting old.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:

hows my driving?
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #304742

Please just remove the announcement and as a metabreaker make it so that there's a 10% chance non-extended rounds get the objective to make all three station goals
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Post by John_Oxford » #305323

has anyone ever considered that only a antag would commit a crime?

and that we have a rule for act like a antag get treated like a antag?

and that antags are valid?

therefore minor ic crime is valid wtf i hate assistants now
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #305731

Bombadil wrote:Please just remove the announcement and as a metabreaker make it so that there's a 10% chance non-extended rounds get the objective to make all three station goals
or for bonus fun, make the announcement occasionally fire when it's not really extended so you can never be 100% sure
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #305763

Screemonster wrote:
Bombadil wrote:Please just remove the announcement and as a metabreaker make it so that there's a 10% chance non-extended rounds get the objective to make all three station goals
or for bonus fun, make the announcement occasionally fire when it's not really extended so you can never be 100% sure
fuck, this is a terrible idea but it would make me laugh so much

especially if it wasn't in the changelog (200% not happening)
Limey wrote:its too late.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #305772

Qbopper wrote:
Screemonster wrote:

wait for an extended round then spawn ops at roundstart

be the change you want to see in the world
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #305774

Screemonster wrote:
Qbopper wrote:
Screemonster wrote:

wait for an extended round then spawn ops at roundstart

admins do this occasionally already
Limey wrote:its too late.
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #306095

Screemonster wrote:
This would defeat the whole point of having the announcement in the first place.
Qbopper wrote:
Screemonster wrote: wait for an extended round then spawn ops at roundstart

admins do this occasionally already

Unless I'm reading this wrong, stats show that admins tampered with a genuine extended round only 29 times out 5370 (may be much more but I don't know how stats track game modes). It's still a problem because this means that each time this happened there was someone who thought "Great it's extended! Now I can finally do my autism in peace!" only to get cucked by admins spawning shit.

Extended message already doesn't guarantee that you will be left alone to do whatever project you wish, especially if it's a novelty map (tiding, admin shittery and early shuttle calls increase tenfold on a novelty map). If we really want to add a degree of randomness in extended, I'd rather let traitors buy a a fake announcement than have it only in the hands of badmins and tiders.
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #307129

Honestly /tg/ should just play Announced Extended like /vg/ does and go on a $hitter Safari and ban all the people who grief during extended.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #307624

Do people actually like extended? I mean I'm sure you like the "I can do my job now without dying" aspect and maybe it allows some to let off steam by having a more peaceful round, but most jobs are designed around antagonists trying to impede your work OR designed around being a bane towards antagonists once you get to a point. What do you do after it's done? brag about being able to complete a project during a round in which no one can harm you?

Idk I just don't really see the lure to not having antagonists when a large majority if not nearly all of the major features of the game are based around having some sort of bad guy on board.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Lazengann
Byond Username: Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #307628

Depends who's in game
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #307630

Extended really strikes me as something that should only happen if a admin triggers it.

Extended by itself is boring. The crew have no real end goal to work towards. The station goals are just filler content and most of them can be done by one or two people.

There needs to be some kind of overarching threat to the crew and/or station. Even our worst game modes offer this, extended does not.

A extended game mode where the station is made less livable and more broken may be more viable as it would force the crew to repair and maintain the station, but otherwise I think removing extended would see little complaints.
Yakumo_Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #307756

Not every round has to be hunt the antags, some people want to actually build autism or something for an hour or more. If you don't like the roundtype just hop servers or something, don't go griefing the players that want to enjoy it to end the round faster. Maybe I want to see how many mechs I can build, or if miners can conquer lavaland, or maybe engineers can build a zoo in the middle of the station. If people get bored, they can always build a rage cage or something to fight other players.

I tend to run captain gimmicks more successfully in extended and can usually do something that will make the round an interesting story, which is what rounds should go for.

As I said, admins should treat the game mode like Shitter Safari, punish anyone who's trying to validhunt in a game mode with no valids, and be extra hard on griffins.
XDTM
Github User

Post by XDTM » #307895

Yeah, it depends on who you're playing with, if it's just 50% greytide pacing around shouting that they're bored and want to call the shuttle or just running around griefing it's just unfun, but if you have departments building up stuff and making constructions or getting to the end of their jobs and trying out stuff, it's fun.

I agree that a good portion of the stuff you can make is usually only useful in combat, which is why the current freeze is a good idea imo.

A good middle ground, in my opinion, would be spawning a wave of powerful external antags (ops, cult, clockcult, idk) from ghosts after 1h or 1h30, so you can build up towards that with your most powergamey gear and defenses, and so you can test out combat-only gear, viruses, etc while also giving a better ic reason to end the round than "we got bored".
War ops is sorta like that, but their timeframe is too short to try out endgame gear, and with the way ops work, it actually guarantees that endgame is never going to be reached due to hard round-end.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Yakumo_Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #308091

I've had admins send nuke ops at me after particularly long extended rounds, but usually they stealth in and kill me because nobody expects them. Maybe admins could force alert to Blue and play the Antag Announcement if they decide to spawn something. Having an hour-delayed antag round might actually be fun (unless it's a mode like cult where the station will just hulk up and wreck it). Traitors or Buffed Warops might be interesting.

I actually enjoy using Extended to build autism engines like Hellburn Supermatter or Getting a PA Engine Running In An Interesting Location, or my particular favorite, "See How Many Tesla Engines You Can Put In One Containment Before Cargo Stops Funding You More Tesla Engines Because You Wasted All The Points Then Accidentally Release Them Because You Forgot A Critical Component And Destroy The Station With 20 Tesla Engines"
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Post by Dax Dupont » #308101

Extended is great and can be massive fun.
Though I'd like to pull this line from the sillytips file:

Just like real life the entropy of the game can only increase with time. If things aren't on fire yet, just wait.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #308104

Extended has been disabled in the gamemode rotation. Secret Extended has replaced it, inheriting the same odds Extended had.

In other words, we've turned off the Extended Announcement.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #308192

Thank you headmins, a little bit of faith in your office has been restored
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #308214

sextended bestended
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #308335

I had fun with the secret extended rounds. It felt like there was actual opportunity to do a project and be rewarded for it. Plus it did weed out a few shitters
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #308339

Admin honeypot
XDTM
Github User

Post by XDTM » #308363

Wouldn't the announced one be a better gauge for greyshittery? You can sorta chalk greytide in secret extended to ic conflict from paranoia and suspicion, but when people start breaking stuff and starting fights in announced extended you know for sure they're doing it to grief
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #308386

We should just rename extended to sh1tter Safari.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.