Can we just make syndie forward base kill leaving scientists

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Re: Can we just make syndie forward base kill leaving scient

Post by Steelpoint » #307704

Bottom post of the previous page:

Honestly so long as you have some way to dig through the walls, its piss easy to avoid any monsters and safely reach the mining base.
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #307710

Grazyn wrote:The problem with the Marine ruin is that it had the explicit purpose to return to the station, something that no other lavaland ghost role has, with guns and heavy gear on top of it. Yes, nothing stops you from trying to reach the outpost as beach bum, vet or hermit, but it's an added challenge (the vet is the only one with something that can be considered a weapon), unless the ruin spawns very close to the base. The bums can't even communicate with non-high people.
Beach bums (atleast they have the half decent tools to go outside), mining hermit & doctors all have the goal to migrate but rarely due to certain circumstances

You're not particularly convincing, cultists also can pitch up pretty much anywhere because of teleportation runes, and while yes it might be more advantageous to camp out at this large & well airated space hotel, but rushing the golem mining base (free converts included) also carries the same benefits. Comparing space hotel to golems is laudibly laughable.
  • A second life and salt over dying from bullshit is the most deadly weapons in a griefer's arsenal, see prior example of medical doctor abusing their access to enter medical and enact revenge, full access to the medical dispensers too if they want to grab a bottle of morphine and a syringe gun lying around.
Fundamentally it was flawed because nobody enjoyed it and fewer people actually bother to play it once they realised it was garbage, a existing problem we have now without the exceptional circumstances this thread talks about.
Steelpoint wrote:Honestly so long as you have some way to dig through the walls, its piss easy to avoid any monsters and safely reach the mining base.
The most discreet way of meta-knowledge, other difficulties like sheltering from ash storms & managing air is also a secondary issue but otherwise a simple sand door hut can get around those issues. Didn't stop your marine from shooting the place up did it steelpoint? No less when you suggested giving them free mining access so they didn't have to "come into conflict with miners breaking into the base"
Last edited by FantasticFwoosh on Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spoiler:
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #307711

Well unfortunately I was not able to effect my proposed changes since the entire feature was gutted from the code before I could put up my PR. No guns or anything like that. But that's in the past and is irrelevant to this discussion.

If I would propose a solution, it would be to make lavaland far more deadlier to people in a way that massively discourages Syndi base personnel from wanting to leave the base to begin with.

Otherwise I don't see any massive issues with Syndi personal.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #307714

It is relevant because its a example now, you only have yourself to blame for implementing it as it was, no matter how you might want to brush it off, it was migration roles at their worst, even worse than the prisoner migration ghost ruin which was antagonist in a can with the same caveats of metaknowleding to the station.

A particularly personal note steelpoint is that you're very keen to deflect coding & mapping blame, nerfing all of lavaland to be even more harsh wouldn't achieve any satisfactory change as opposed to holding mappers & maintainers to account to stop implementing bad, untested ruins with no gameplay or abusive gameplay value, and be more proactive with cleaning out & replacing ruins which gather enough public outcry to remove or otherwise substantially change (some things are just indefensibly bad in concept)

How many of these people actually play their own features for extended periods of time? If you have to re-roll the map because XYZ fun condition didn't pop up maybe your ruin wasn't that good to start with. I mean i have a good crack at manning a bar in a space ruin as a "tutorial", but if i have nobody to serve eventually even my stoic patience is going to send me loopy for a half a hour or 1+ round with virtually no gameplay stuck in a snow-globe for snow flakes.

Spoiler:
Ayy Lemoh
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #307750

Guys, if we do make the syndie forward base just a listening outpost then instead of lavaland, use the SPACE ruin. There's a SPACE ruin that has a listening outpost for the Syndicate. There's even a syndicate hostile simplemob in the SPACE ruin.

I want more space ghost roles.

EDIT: There's also a russian radio station in SPACE. If we're gonna remove the other three lavaland syndicate ghost roles then please just use one of those ruins.
Last edited by Ayy Lemoh on Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #307753

That'll do. Update the art assets of the walls, floors etc, and done, syndie russkie radio.

Spoiler:
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #307759

Steelpoint wrote:Well unfortunately I was not able to effect my proposed changes since the entire feature was gutted from the code before I could put up my PR. No guns or anything like that. But that's in the past and is irrelevant to this discussion.

If I would propose a solution, it would be to make lavaland far more deadlier to people in a way that massively discourages Syndi base personnel from wanting to leave the base to begin with.

Otherwise I don't see any massive issues with Syndi personal.
Isn't lavaland deadly enough? Joan just put in a new feature that makes it even harder to see in the hellhole, and I fall into pits and run into shit consistently and die even faster then I normally do trying to do lavaland.

Only a handful of people can consistently survive the mines and that's usually the people who can also consistently kill megafauna and don't care about how deadly it is. We don't need to make it even worse.

Mining used to be a chill and relaxing profession but now I'd rather be doing literally anything else then dying to what isn't even other players, just bullshit enviroment.
Segmented
Byond Username: SegmentedOdin

Post by Segmented » #308013

FantasticFwoosh wrote:Beach bums (atleast they have the half decent tools to go outside), mining hermit & doctors all have the goal to migrate but rarely due to certain circumstances
Beach Bums can't even speak Galactic Common anymore, and the Mining Hermit (ignoring the fact his base is often open to air and he dies from oxyloss) is described as FLEEING from NT. Those don't seem like they have the goal of returning to the station.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #308016

If you know what you are doing, then not dying in lavaland is piss easy .

There's a difference between mining and hunting around in dangerous areas, and just intentionally avoiding anything to reach the station.

Its tedious and boring but its easy to avoid dying on lavaland.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #308017

Practically they do, the beach bum changes still mean they can communicate with the station if they really tried.

Nobody cares about enforcing hermit lore, so its survive or migrate.

Spoiler:
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #308077

iamgoofball wrote:
Qbopper wrote:I've had to bwoink like 3 people for carpet memeing their way out and i am very tired of it +1
Sorry, you what?

We established this was a feature ages ago. Stop.

source: I fucking added carpet and Kor said it was a feature
> You can safely walk on rivers of deadly lava by throwing a carpet on it.
> "It's a feature"

If it's gonna be a feature at least come up with an excuse for how a flimsy fabric material can withstand molten lava.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #308086

Jacough wrote:
iamgoofball wrote:
Qbopper wrote:I've had to bwoink like 3 people for carpet memeing their way out and i am very tired of it +1
Sorry, you what?

We established this was a feature ages ago. Stop.

source: I fucking added carpet and Kor said it was a feature
> You can safely walk on rivers of deadly lava by throwing a carpet on it.
> "It's a feature"

If it's gonna be a feature at least come up with an excuse for how a flimsy fabric material can withstand molten lava.
space carpet is made with blood, you're actually selling a little bit of your soul