Ancient Station Feedback

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Ancient Station Feedback

Post by Steelpoint » #312190

This thread is intended for feedback relating to the Old (Ancient) Space Station space ruin spawn. Feedback including suggestions.
FrozenGuy5
Github User
Byond Username: FrozenGuy5
Github Username: praisenarsie

Re: Ancient Station Feedback

Post by FrozenGuy5 » #312212

this glass is just broke, it doesn't spawn in the crate, you CAN'T pick it up and it's just there.

also add more oxygen tanks incase some insane security man decides to explore space PLUS an oxygen canister but make sure to add very little in the actual canister

also the suits should be a little less durable because if you have two guys clearing out the hivebots with both suits they are practically unstoppable (if they armed with the right tools)

im not gonna ask for anything else for now

overall i am REALLY satisfied with this, it's way funner than playing a derelict drone or ashlizard
ййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййй shitty fucking signatures
Ronnoc1
Byond Username: Ronnoc1

Post by Ronnoc1 » #312236

It's pretty much the most fun ghost role right now. I wouldn't worry about suit durability because I've cleared every hivebot singlehandedly once in just the degraded armor with a butcher's cleaver and the laser guns (plus healing meds). Add some diamonds and bluespace mesh in the loot chests or give people some way to mine or earn it somehow, cause it kinda sucks doing all the research and then you can't use any of the stuff that needs them. Maybe have some kind of fixable telecomms? It kinda sucks having beaten back all the danger and still not having radios to talk to your mates with. Still a really cool addition, great work, 10/10 would be ancient scientist again.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #312238

There are a few diamond rocks in the small asteroids around the station, try mining those out.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #312255

REMOVE THE BLINDNESS ON HELMETS, PLEASE!
Alipheese
Byond Username: Daturix
Github Username: Daturix

Post by Alipheese » #312323

Armhulen wrote:REMOVE THE BLINDNESS ON HELMETS, PLEASE!
Git fucking gud
Last edited by Alipheese on Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Screenshots.
Spoiler:
Quotes.
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321 wrote:holy shit that engineering setup
that man deserves a medal
Anonmare wrote:Gee Engie, why does your mom let you have TWO singulos?
The Legend of Scrubs, MD
You are a traitor!
Your current objectives:
Objective #1: They mocked you in life, a lesser janiborg they said. Now they shall know terror.
Objective #2: Hijack the shuttle to ensure no loyalist Nanotrasen crew escape alive and out of custody.
Cuboos wrote: > That god damn engineer who let the singularity loose was a traitor and the only reasonable person on that whole entire station.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #312325

If I were able I would make the helmets have a slight vision limitation, so instead of seeing a perfect 7x7 around the player, there would be a slight oval around the player (think of when you are in crit) that would limit you to around a 6x6 vision instead.

Edit: If I could I would add a special end of round objective for the station crew to accomplish, like the Station Goals.

So if the station spawns, the objective would involve killing all the Hivebots, and getting the stations RnD up to ten levels worth overall. if that is accomplished the end of round report would indicate "The reawoken crew of Space Station (X) successfully reclaimed their derelict station and successfully researched the transmitted RnD Data".
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #312332

First PR up: https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/28843

Code: Select all

* Fixed minor mapping issues, such as broken glass and similar.
* Added some bluespace crystals to the Hivebot ship for RnD.
* All station helmets and the hardsuit helmet no longer block vision.
* NASA Engineering Void Suit now has a proper slowdown of 4.
* Two pairs of 'worn down insulated gloves' have been added to engineering. Think of them as Budget Gloves, but they have a much better chance of working.
* New movement sounds for the prototype RIG Hardsuit, much more fitting.
* Minor map changes, such as a extra oxygen cannister and similar.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #312335

What kind of vision blocking was it, anyway? Full blindness or the welder helmet type?
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #312337

Welder style
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #312340

I don't see the problem with that. Whoever complains needs to git gud.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Mark9013100
Byond Username: Mark9013100

Post by Mark9013100 » #312397

Might be more of a coding issue, but some of the placed cables on the station are layered under atmospheric pipes.

also insulated gloves
Ergovisavi
Byond Username: Ergovisavi

Post by Ergovisavi » #312406

There's nothing to do after clearing out the fairly unthreatening hivebots.

This is sort of the problem with SS13 in general, but after you control the ancient station there's not really anywhere to go from there. Needs to be some kind of end goal for these guys, otherwise it's just "Okay now it's time to AFK" if you don't feel like building an autism fort.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #312408

I suppose you could consider contacting the main station an end goal.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #312414

After you've cleared the station it becomes more of a sand box, perhaps I should add minor things like treecaps or something to help in sandbox projects.

I still want to have a objective system just so there's an after round report to congratulate the crew on getting the station up to snuff, I also would want to make the Hivebots more threatening.
FrozenGuy5
Github User
Byond Username: FrozenGuy5
Github Username: praisenarsie

Post by FrozenGuy5 » #312443

Steelpoint wrote:I also would want to make the Hivebots more threatening.
remove cleavers and i'll butcher you

e: also to make this post less shitposty, maybe add the hivebot core from that hivebot invasion PR (http://i.imgur.com/oZ3J1M4.png)

also add like two doors here because it makes sense since airlocks n' stuff (http://i.imgur.com/BVx1hbF.png)
ййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййй shitty fucking signatures
Ergovisavi

Post by Ergovisavi » #312470

Also, I get that this is SS13 and "anyone can do anything" but the lack of actual differences between the characters is a little disappointing.

Wish the character you started with had a little extra gear depending on their "job" to make them more unique than the others, IE: The engineer starts with a pocket oxygen tank and some shitty insulateds, the security guy starts with a 15 force weapon or a shield or something, scientist has... I don't know, a tech disk with something novel on it?
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #312514

Clearing the Hivebots will pave the way for a swarmer invasion (the Lavaland combat swarmers), perhaps? Perhaps a good waiting time to give the R&D guy time to get some guns or a mech out before the swarm descends upon them!
Mark9013100

Post by Mark9013100 » #312589

Not entirely sure it's possible to fix the broken transit tube to delta station, the transport pod seems to be stuck in place no matter what.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #312611

Transit pods need crowbars to be removed. The issue I have is putting it back in.

Also transit pods have a nasty habit of transporting atmos between stations, making the transit station barely habitable whilst making the pod itself ungodly over-pressurised
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #312614

I think the issue is that the depressurised area of Charlie station can transfer over into the pods.

I think I'll just get rid of the lack of air in the central Charlie station for now, its a minor issue to begin with.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #312878

Ergovisavi wrote: building an autism fort.
isn't this the whole point you muppet
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #312899

pretty good as a repair and power-net tutorial, my only complaint is that there is limited resources to build autism forts.

Make the asteroid around the hivebot ship actually contain minerals, I was dissapointed to find that it contained none.

Increase the amount of asteroids surrounding the ruin, possibly where alpha station would be, it would be a good explanation as to why an entire section of the station is gone, if it looks like it was taken out by a meteor.

Also there needs to be some telecrystals somewhere, at least at a minimum 5, so if the people manage to get everything completed and dont want to build an autism fort they can build a teleporter and get to the station.

It makes it more a migrant ghost role, but considering you need to do around 30 minutes of work to even get to the point to consider leaving it isnt a bad one.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #312905

The minor asteroids around the station contain minerals, so consider mining those out.

My newest PR includes some bluespace crystals on the Hivebot ship as a further reward for clearing it out.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #312906

Anonmare wrote:Transit pods need crowbars to be removed. The issue I have is putting it back in.

Also transit pods have a nasty habit of transporting atmos between stations, making the transit station barely habitable whilst making the pod itself ungodly over-pressurised
I did this myself on a test server while I was playing with other things. Crowbar the pod, smash open the window to one side, take it to the tube station, then mouse-drop the pod into the end station.
Ergovisavi

Post by Ergovisavi » #313020

oranges wrote:
Ergovisavi wrote: building an autism fort.
isn't this the whole point you muppet
Depends on your perspective. If that is the goal, then my feedback is off topic and can be safely ignored.
Mark9013100

Post by Mark9013100 » #313165

Any chance of a mirror being placed at the spawn/somewhere close?
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #313179

My PR has a mirror in the spawn area.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #313208

Steelpoint wrote:My PR has a mirror in the spawn area.
you are a good person
MimicFaux
Byond Username: MimicFaux

Post by MimicFaux » #313942

Lovely mini game of survival and reclamation. The reason I join null-pop servers that have gone stone dead for power is what this station provides. Some things I'd like to see:
•More building supplies, even if they are tucked into a crate of the hivebot ship.
•A more complete atmos on Alpha station; if you can re-power and provide piping from it, something. That could be used to pressurize and reoxygenate (new) rooms/refill oxy tanks with a built canister.
•Would a xenobio reward be out the question? Health analyzers are already cutting edge technology for the crew. I mean.. you -could- subject one of the survivors to a round of genetics...
ImageImageImage
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #314066

Some sticky points are that you can ruin your powernet by powering up the central corridors, however you need to power the corridors because you need access to the button in command to release the lockdown in the first place. Unless there's a step im missing or a exploit where i can just drag the generator to the bridge, but whatever i seem to do, there's always a bit of energy left in the wires that causes violent shocking.

I've had a few rounds now where setting up the solars is hindered by the system still having power in it and shocking & destroying the wire i put down (since it snaps off) meaning i can't re-lay certain parts of wire entirely, worse case scenario it stops me from building solar arrays or connecting the solar maintenance room to the rest of the station. I can't really get my head around it and i've used the APC release card before in a attempt to stop power entering the solars room but i always encounters the same problem one way or another.

Hopefully the budget insulated will stop the problem but a full insulated gloves hidden on the science station would also be satisfactory rather than rely on the RNG of budget to be full protection if people do encounter the problem of shocked wires.
Also the tank of oxygen to the left in the destroyed station's containment when broken into with tools will spill out air already within making the tank fly off into space, if you could depressurise it (since the air is trapped and not flowing between the two vents), that'd be great because its much simpler to take the airtank back to the station and plug it into the existing piping , rather than build pipes out there, which may be intentional but its entirely a pointless thing to do since you already have the tools to work with.

Literally besides digging rocks, scavenging etc there's no reason to go out to the leftmost side of the station.
One last gripe is that often people steal the space suits so they can go explore nearby ruins for loot under good pretenses, but if they fail they basically maroon the ghost roles there with no way to further build the solars sustainably, could you put in some text to direct players & admins to try and not hinder the efforts of other people on the station & take it seriously?

Spoiler:
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #314068

I was thinking of expanding the leftmost station a bit to make it a sort of long term project to repair it. I'm still waiting for my first balance PR to be merged which includes some changes.

If people looting the space suit to explore and die becomes a major issue I might place a second Voidsuit somewhere on the station so that at minimum all three crewmen can get access to a space suit.
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #314072

Can't be done, you'd have to remove all the room plans from the area because destroyed areas still count and block making new rooms on top of the space tiles where they were. Long term repairs are a crock load of shit sold by ideaguys when the reality its impractical and costly to do so.

Spoiler:
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #315015

FantasticFwoosh wrote:Can't be done, you'd have to remove all the room plans from the area because destroyed areas still count and block making new rooms on top of the space tiles where they were. Long term repairs are a crock load of shit sold by ideaguys when the reality its impractical and costly to do so.
but it's a ghost role so there's not like there's much else to do aside from watch/wait until roundend
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #315019

Well you can call for help from the main station, either by building a tcomms relay or a holopad and dialling until you get a response.

I remember one round using the holopad to dial the bridge and coordinate a rescue effort with them