Speed up augment surgery!

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Speed up augment surgery!

Post by Dr_bee » #318085

With the addition of the new painted augmentation parts, it is more fun than ever to be augmented. The one problem is that it takes FOREVER to get the surgery done.

Each body part takes a whopping 7 steps to augment. Drapes, scalpel, hemostat, retractor, scalpel, saw, augment. Repeat this 5 times total. This is a total of 35 steps for a full augmentation, much longer than any other surgery or medical treatment int he game. It is also very click intensive, which can cramp the hand a bit.

Augments are powerful, but they are not amazingly powerful. You are resistant to damage but you cannot be healed by conventional methods, making healing take far longer. Also your would be rescuer will most likely not realize you are augmented and load you up with drugs while you slowly die and then wonder what happened. You also have the GLARING weakness to EMPs.

Compare to genetics which can give you invisibility, cold resistance, x-ray vision, telekinesis and hulk, powers that are far stronger than augmentation, all with the press of a couple of buttons.

I suggest reducing the amount of steps in the surgery, possibly making the initial prep for augmentation only need to be done once and then you can put all the parts in. It still will require the help of another person to gain the augments, and it still leaves you vulnerable to being murdered like any other surgery, the only difference is that a roboticist or doctor doesnt have to spend 5 minutes per patient in what is often a 20 minute round.

augmentation is cool, implants are cool, they take FAR too long to get with how fast rounds are now, please consider speeding up the process.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Re: Speed up augment surgery!

Post by Armhulen » #318093

I completely agree but you're silly for saying getting all genetics powers is just pressing some buttons.
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #318105

Armhulen wrote:I completely agree but you're silly for saying getting all genetics powers is just pressing some buttons.
I am speaking of after the research is done. passing out powers en-mass is significantly easier than augmenting multiple people.

Genetics has all the work front loaded, after that it becomes easy to hand out the powers. Augmentation has the work spread out among each recipient, and also has a metal cost.
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #318112

I'd agree if it were only cosmetics, but prosthetics received buffs and the time spent is supposed to be one of the disadvantages to being a protoman
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #318114

I'm fairly certain it's quicker to get the limb amputated and then do prosthetic replacement surgery.

Plus you get the spare limbs from prosthetic replacement while augmentation sort of qdels the limbs.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #318116

well lets speed it up then, maaan
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #318119

I'm tempted to make the surgical toolset arm buildable and have fast toolspeed so people have a very clear reason to want it.
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #318169

D&B wrote:I'd agree if it were only cosmetics, but prosthetics received buffs and the time spent is supposed to be one of the disadvantages to being a protoman
As I stated before, Augmentation is powerful but has enough downsides for it to not be a good idea to get every round. It is very much like genetics powers in power, but at the moment is a VERY unfun to get, and hard to convince someone to take the time to do it to you.

Even if the surgery is sped up getting augmented still requires trusting someone enough to let them cut you up, stripping naked and potientally having your stuff stole, lying on a table helpless against attack for a non-trivial period of time, and spending a non-trivial amount of metal to build. All for what amounts to a glorified hardsuit that makes you get stunned by EMPs and makes you impossible to heal via normal means.

There are enough disadvantages to getting augmented, having it take 3-5 minutes out of what is often a 20-30 minute round sitting on a surgical table is a bit much. To put this in perspective, this is 10-16% of a 30 minute round spent not playing the damn game
Anonmare wrote:I'm tempted to make the surgical toolset arm buildable and have fast toolspeed so people have a very clear reason to want it.
Would be a fun implant but is not really a solution to making augment surgery faster, as the toolset arm implants require a decent amount of RnD being done to get, and would require TWO people sit for surgery.

Still, add it, it would be a fun implant to have as a doctor, plus it technically would be an implanted weapon, which we dont have yet.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #318178

Each body part takes a whopping 7 steps to augment. Drapes, scalpel, hemostat, retractor, scalpel, saw, augment. Repeat this 5 times total. This is a total of 35 steps for a full augmentation, much longer than any other surgery or medical treatment int he game. It is also very click intensive, which can cramp the hand a bit.
This comparison is not valid.
Augmenting someone's entire body is not one surgery, it is, as you already mentioned, 5 surgeries.
So 5x something taking 5x as long is entirely sensible, and there's no reason to change augmenting speeds at all.
私は完璧
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #318634

Port /vg/'s multi-tool surgical tools like the one that does like the saw, scalpel, and hemostat or something all at once. It's great.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #318750

Yakumo_Chen wrote:Port /vg/'s multi-tool surgical tools like the one that does like the saw, scalpel, and hemostat or something all at once. It's great.
They're switch tools in code and they're better than our system which is to physically put the item in your hand rather than using a container.
Anajamois
Byond Username: Anajamois

Post by Anajamois » #319271

Make a robotic arm that performs all surgery steps automatically after drapes are applied

Problem solved
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #319419

Anajamois wrote:Make a robotic arm that performs all surgery steps automatically after drapes are applied

Problem solved
If I ever git gud enough I'll probably put in an implant for research that does exactly that, maybe make it require abductor research levels as well
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #319425

Would people be okay with speeding up the surgery by way of removing a step? It'd be really easy
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #319429

Slowest part in my experience is putting the augment itself on.

Also, fun fact, amputation and prosthetic surgery for the limbs has the same effect as augmentation but has the added bonus of producing spare limbs for medical to use. Whilst augmentation doesn't produce any body parts at all.
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #319432

PKPenguin321 wrote:Would people be okay with speeding up the surgery by way of removing a step? It'd be really easy
personally I'd suggest shaving a little bit of time off the steps (usually the last one is slowest) instead of fucking with the steps themselves
Limey wrote:its too late.
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #319455

Qbopper wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:Would people be okay with speeding up the surgery by way of removing a step? It'd be really easy
personally I'd suggest shaving a little bit of time off the steps (usually the last one is slowest) instead of fucking with the steps themselves
Wouldnt solve how insanely click intensive the process is. 35 clicks to do the whole surgery, not including switching tools, which raises it.

makes my wrist hurt just thinking about it.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #319456

I've gotten it down to an art and I can do it in about ~5 minutes on a good day
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #319498

Dr_bee wrote:
Qbopper wrote:
Wouldnt solve how insanely click intensive the process is. 35 clicks to do the whole surgery, not including switching tools, which raises it.

makes my wrist hurt just thinking about it.
that's true, I was thinking of regular surgery and not augments for some reason
Limey wrote:its too late.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #320432

Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #320434

IT IS NOT ONE SURGERY
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Remie Richards
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #320578

ExcessiveCobblestone wrote:IT IS NOT ONE SURGERY
私は完璧
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #320669

Remie Richards wrote:
My point is that it probably should be. You open the person up, shove the parts in, close them up.

instead of the clickfest we have right now.
TheColdTurtle
Byond Username: TheColdTurtle

Post by TheColdTurtle » #320675

It's a "slice of life" means "make things easier" episode
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #320686

did you mean Quality of Life?
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #320711

Dr_bee wrote:
Remie Richards wrote:
My point is that it probably should be. You open the person up, shove the parts in, close them up.

Well no, because then you wouldn't be able to augment single parts.
Unless you want the surgery to possibly end at any time which is unprecedented and I don't think the surgery system should be shitted up to support that.
私は完璧
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #320827

Remie Richards wrote:
Dr_bee wrote:
Remie Richards wrote:

Well no, because then you wouldn't be able to augment single parts.
Unless you want the surgery to possibly end at any time which is unprecedented and I don't think the surgery system should be shitted up to support that.
We already have a surgery that you can end at any time, it is called "Organ manipulation." I dont know the code behind it, Implants are considered organs right? making augments similar to implants might work.

moving augments from their own snowflake surgery that takes forever to organ manipulation would be a solution, or make augmentation surgery a separate version of organ manip, if being able to do augments and implants in the same surgery is too OP..
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #320862

Does surgery even support working on body parts that aren't selected?
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #320863

Dr_bee wrote:moving augments from their own snowflake surgery that takes forever
five surgeries*
私は完璧
John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Post by John_Oxford » #320870

Add autodocs to the game that if you stand on a tile next to them it will heal 0.5 of every damage type every 2 seconds

Add advanced autodocs that when fed augments, allow a doctor to select which augments it should apply to the person, every augment takes 15 seconds to completely implant. Patient cannot move while its being augmented (instead of it just being a tile to stand on, it would be a fancy chair, like a dentists chair, or the one in the crackhead augment dudes basement in human revolution where he fucks your augs up)

Emagging a autodoc makes it deal 0.5 damage of all types every 0.5 seconds, and have a 1% chance to change to healing 3 damage of every type every second.

Emagging a advanced autodoc without anyone in it causes the machine to fail at surgerys rapidly, when implanting.

If it's emagged while someone is in it, it delimbs the person in a neat pile, stacking their legs, arms, head, and torso in a pile next to it. It also has a 1% chance to just gib them

Fully upgrading a autodoc makes it heal 1 damage of every type every three seconds and inject you with half a unit of stimulant and cryoaxadone (for shower combos) every second

Fully upgrading a advanced autodoc makes it accept syndicate augments, complete augment surgerys in 5 seconds, and gives it a 100% chance to complete the surgery with no errors
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #320910

Remie Richards wrote:
Dr_bee wrote:moving augments from their own snowflake surgery that takes forever
five surgeries*
I love Remie
Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #320939

John_Oxford wrote:Add autodocs to the game that if you stand on a tile next to them it will heal 0.5 of every damage type every 2 seconds

Add advanced autodocs that when fed augments, allow a doctor to select which augments it should apply to the person, every augment takes 15 seconds to completely implant. Patient cannot move while its being augmented (instead of it just being a tile to stand on, it would be a fancy chair, like a dentists chair, or the one in the crackhead augment dudes basement in human revolution where he fucks your augs up)

Emagging a autodoc makes it deal 0.5 damage of all types every 0.5 seconds, and have a 1% chance to change to healing 3 damage of every type every second.

Emagging a advanced autodoc without anyone in it causes the machine to fail at surgerys rapidly, when implanting.

If it's emagged while someone is in it, it delimbs the person in a neat pile, stacking their legs, arms, head, and torso in a pile next to it. It also has a 1% chance to just gib them

Fully upgrading a autodoc makes it heal 1 damage of every type every three seconds and inject you with half a unit of stimulant and cryoaxadone (for shower combos) every second

Fully upgrading a advanced autodoc makes it accept syndicate augments, complete augment surgerys in 5 seconds, and gives it a 100% chance to complete the surgery with no errors
Do not DARE ignore my previous post and pretend this is YOUR idea!!! https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 27#p257227
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #320973

Augments are quite frankly too powerful to be sped up that much. A competent roboticist can do it fairly quickly, it's not much of an issue. Everyone says "EMP and no meds" is a huge terrible counter but let's be honest: 1, you can use a welder on yourself to heal, it isn't that hard to get and generally in better supply/easier to get than medications, and 2, EMPs are somewhat rare- wizards, the ion gun, chemistry (and that's fairly rare), singularity, traitors/lings of course. Most people don't bring EMPs to fights unless they know they're gonna be fighting the things EMPs counter. Overall the ability to heal yourself with a welder and the ability to spacewalk with no suit is worth the 5-10 minutes depending on robotics competence and definitely doesn't need to be quickened.

edit: And whoever posted about the surgery tools doing all the steps for you, that's hugbox. Quicker, sure, but not for you.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
John_Oxford
Github User

Post by John_Oxford » #321104

Gun Hog wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:Add autodocs to the game that if you stand on a tile next to them it will heal 0.5 of every damage type every 2 seconds

Do not DARE ignore my previous post and pretend this is YOUR idea!!! https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 27#p257227

as the leading authority on ideas that never get merged, i couldn't bring myself to read through the 40 pages of good ideas being ignored in that thread

see even gunhog though of it must be a good idea

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

John_Oxford
Github User

Post by John_Oxford » #321105

Gun Hog wrote:

as the leading authority on ideas that never get merged, i couldn't bring myself to read through the 40 pages of good ideas being ignored in that thread

see even gunhog though of it must be a good idea

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #321140

Literally having tools with multiple functions (both retract & clamp bleeders) in a simple fashion as well as lets say a high power laser scalpel that works like a saw also so practically you would only ever need 2 tools and the cautery present would make things faster without actually omitting any surgery steps.

Fast tools won't cut it, and science & medical should open their mineral reserves to get good tools, in a similar approach to what we have in the jaws of life/hand drill.

Spoiler:
Professor Hangar
Byond Username: Professor Hangar

Post by Professor Hangar » #321997

Upgradeable surgical tools would be cool and fix a lot of problems, and it's easy enough to add them to the R&D listing and the Protolathe and/or Robotics Fabricator menu. (I presume)

Laser and/or diamond scalpel? Diamond saw? Robotic hemostat/other thingy?
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #322029

FantasticFwoosh wrote:Fast tools won't cut it, and science & medical should open their mineral reserves to get good tools, in a similar approach to what we have in the jaws of life/hand drill.
Fast tools don't make good tools unless they are effective, look at the diamond pickaxe for example.

Spoiler:
Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #322051

Professor Hangar wrote:Upgradeable surgical tools would be cool and fix a lot of problems, and it's easy enough to add them to the R&D listing and the Protolathe and/or Robotics Fabricator menu. (I presume)

Laser and/or diamond scalpel? Diamond saw? Robotic hemostat/other thingy?
There are faster surgery tools that can be replicated in R&D if a miner brings back Abductor tools from a crashed saucer. You only need to decon two (or one if you get lucky with the E.X.P.E.R.I.-MENTOR) of them to be able to produce them all.

Also, this PR is adding faster surgery tools as a surgical implant. So, if you get upgraded with the surgical tools implant, you can do surgeries faster and you will always have your set with you!
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #322053

Yes but nobody uses them because the speed of the surgery isn't the issue, its the selection of tools between steps since even if you were to do all the steps in instantaneous time you are still going slowly by selecting the right tool in the ordered pattern which requires you to have your tools neatly stacked in one place and then returned. Some people who aren't familiar with surgery also spend a lot of time hitting people by accident or looking periodically at the operating console.

I just throw all my tools into a pile and alt click to get the floortile and do it that way so i have a list of my tools availible, its probably the only upgrade a arm-toolkit can bring in the means of disposable tools.

Spoiler:
Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #322082

FantasticFwoosh wrote:Yes but nobody uses them because the speed of the surgery isn't the issue, its the selection of tools between steps since even if you were to do all the steps in instantaneous time you are still going slowly by selecting the right tool in the ordered pattern which requires you to have your tools neatly stacked in one place and then returned. Some people who aren't familiar with surgery also spend a lot of time hitting people by accident or looking periodically at the operating console.

I just throw all my tools into a pile and alt click to get the floortile and do it that way so i have a list of my tools availible, its probably the only upgrade a arm-toolkit can bring in the means of disposable tools.
There is no need to simplify the surgeries. If you do that, then you have to add some sort of risk (Such as the AutoDoc, which is slow, puts you to sleep, has a potential to mess up if not upgraded, and kills you quickly if EMP'ed or emagged).
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #322108

Autodocs are a ideaguy meme, because naturally it'll end up branching out to unintended self surgery machines and completely de-humanise & rob the medical doctors of any opportunity to do surgery at all by a reluctance to do it manually because its 'too slow' or 'too hard' to our naturally emerging meta concious players. While faster tools add absolutely nothing of value because of server lag limitations besides from doctors not knowing how to apply & change their tools fast.
  • fast tools, slow players makes absolutely no change in the pace, faster & better tools are a illusion of choice to naturally float towards using and the old/original/ghetto set of tools should not be made redundant
Quite literally making the tools more complex as per the correct stage of the procedure is a simplification that doesn't infringe on manual surgical practice or code. A dual hemostat & retractor for instance much like how the "Jaws of life" for the engineer operates as a lever & a wirecutter when presented with tool steps, only acting in the capacity that there is a 'correct' tool usage out of 2 options.
  • Exactly the same problem & solution is presented in engineering which is a specific tool heavy job, the CE has the unique advanced tools and it would not be a crime to give slightly underpowered same variants (ideally hemostat/retractor & scalpel/saw) to the CMO.

Spoiler: