Library Database and Computer

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
TrustyGun
Byond Username: TrustyGun

Library Database and Computer

Post by TrustyGun » #318307

It just sucks. It's buggy, unresponsive, and old. The database is a good hundred pages of the same jokes repeated over and over again (We certainly need 500 copies of WGW, right guys?). No one uses the check out function. It takes a good couple of seconds to print out a single book, which quickly becomes annoying.

I wish the system was more robust. The curator should be able to order books in bulk, and to quickly and efficiently search for the books they want. It seems that there is no reason why these features can not exist, other than the shittyness of the current system.
Usually Julian Mackabee or K.I.N.G
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Re: Library Database and Computer

Post by kevinz000 » #318315

Start coding a new system.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #318327

itt: guy who understands nothing pretends he understands everything, and demands as such.
私は完璧
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #318334

Removing duplicates from the library is on the list of things to do.
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #318364

Whats the point of having a feedback forum if every time you give feedback you get the response of "youre not a coder so shut up" from remie?
Remie Richards
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #318453

What's the point of you existing?

There's a difference between feedback, and a demand.
私は完璧
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #318469

"I wish the system was more robust" sure does sound like a hard demand.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #318614

That's not what they're asking for.
They're asking for no duplicate books, which would require us to implement fuzzy string matching which is overkill for fake books in a 2d spaceman game.

The only really actionable things are "Print multiple copies of the same book at a time" and "Reduce the wait during printing"
And again 'I wish it was more robust' is not a request you can make, when you know nothing of the system (Which is what I said)
私は完璧
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #318629

Remie Richards wrote:What's the point of you existing?

There's a difference between feedback, and a demand.
"Someone called me out on the fact that I am nothing but a passive aggressive snarky bully whose only contribution is drama, better ad hominem!"

Maybe you should retire.
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #318639

Maybe you should leave.
You're named after a fake rock and somehow manage to have less brain cells than it.
私は完璧
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #318641

It would be funny to see you try to function in the real world, Remie. Try telling your bosses theyre all idiots and dont understand the STRUGGLE of being a coder so you refuse to do it. Literally all you need to fucking do to NOT look like a spoiled little bitch is maybe explain your reasoning on why you think something would be too difficult but instead you just lash out at people. You're a shithead. I understand youre constantly going through a second puberty because of the medication youre on but you should really try to grow the heck up nerd.
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #318642

I did explain it though, in my second post.
I function just fine in the real world thanks, I'm good at my job and my bosses like me.
As for functioning in the real world, Weren't you homeless once?
私は完璧
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #318643

The thing is, Crag is right in that your arguments are falling apart, resulting in you resorting to ad-hom.
What he fails to describe as such is that your attitude problem simply comes from a lack of skin.

Now I understand it would be kind of inappropriate to tell you, of all people, to grow a pair - but I hope the meaning of the idiom comes across.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #318645

How do I have a lack of skin?
Is responding in kind having a lack of skin? If so, does that make lying down and taking nonsense from some idiot who thinks because he has 'aggro' in his name he has a license to be such 24/7, 'having skin?

Come off it Demon.
私は完璧
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #318648

Remie Richards wrote:Is responding in kind having a lack of skin?
Actually, it is.
Remie Richards wrote:If so, does that make lying down and taking nonsense from some idiot who thinks because he has 'aggro' in his name he has a license to be such 24/7, 'having skin?
Either learn to deal with it or, if you can't, put him on your ignore list. It's not dox, it's not blackmail, it's just shitposting. Relatively harmless shitposting.
Just resist the temptation to sawrge and respond to people on your list that you're ignoring them, it kinda shows that you ain't.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #318650

The lizard is right some of the time.

^ put it in your sig firen.
私は完璧
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #318659

Remie Richards wrote:I did explain it though, in my second post.
I function just fine in the real world thanks, I'm good at my job and my bosses like me.
As for functioning in the real world, Weren't you homeless once?
You only explained after I and Lizard pushed you to and you had a shitty attitude about it. Maybe you dont act like queen dipshit of the dumbfuck dynasty IRL, I only know you from your behavior online and online you act like a bratty pillock. I am just suggesting you provide better criticism in response to feedback and suggestions instead of resorting to telling people they aren't as smart as you neener neener boo boo until someone has to fucking needle you until you actually explain why something is unfeasible. It would save you from having to be needled in the first dang place, dingdong.

Also you shouldnt ad hom me for my financial situation, I'm in a bad place because one of my family members had a severe heroin addiction and took advantage of my kindness. I work a full time job trying to get back on my feet and making fun of me for it just makes you seem like a spoiled adult child.
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #318663

Considering I don't know your situation, I take it back (if that means anything)
But if you bite don't be surprised when you're bitten back, even if you do 'mean well'.
私は完璧
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #318714

Your retraction is accepted and appreciated. Thank you.
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #318859

This is not the ideas subforum Trustygun, but i would actually play librarian if i got a shiploads of books to sort out sent over via cargo events & actually ordering shitloads of random books to find some interesting or rare ones (like disguised wizard tomes) to showcase.

Anybody can & does write fanfiction, and the only other activity for them to do outside of curating is to trawl maint & collect all of the instruction manual books with hotlinks to the wiki (in which case we should restrict the wiki to registered & logged in forum users only)

Spoiler:
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #318974

It's generally agreed that the library database needs to be improved, and when a coder is up to the task they'll probably handle it. Thanks for the concern, OP. This thread has reduced to pointless bickering and is done.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler: