New APC sprites.

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

New APC sprites.

Post by Bluespace » #326472

Personally not a fan, they seem squished and "blurry", and I really liked the visual feedback that the older APCs gave. Plus, these ones are smaller and that just vibes weirdly with me.
What do others think?
I play Boris Pepper.
Bluespace

Re: New APC sprites.

Post by Bluespace » #326481

https://puu.sh/x9VqN/10317fb3f6.png
Sprites in-game as of current.
I play Boris Pepper.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #326494

Wow that looks bad
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #326504

Not a fan

PS why doesn't the APC window background change color the way the sprites do to reflect external power status?
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #326514

they're very bad
私は完璧
Lazengann
Byond Username: Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #326537

Gross
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #326543

Absolutely disgusting
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #326545

Come someone make a PR to put the sprites back then?
I play Boris Pepper.
Lazengann
Byond Username: Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #326559

No
Coders know best ;)
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #326587

I haven't played much recently and noticed a few new sprites which just look really fucking ugly, like the new charger sprites. Why were they changed, or am I just a grouchy old man now?
lzimann
Byond Username: Lzimann
Github Username: lzimann

Post by lzimann » #326605

Here. Can't guarantee it will be merged, but hey, I tried.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #326614

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/28285

It was this pr. It also has the god awful recharger sprite which isn't surprising. Actually looking at it literally every new sprite I've noticed that looks butt ugly is from this pr.

Whelp.

Oh, actually the apc was in another one, but still.
WJohnston
Byond Username: WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #326629

People dislike new sprites on the basis of them being new and that's the most they'll ever admit. If you have an actual complaint that can be actually remedied that's NOT just revert it, please, tell us.

I adressed the muddy blurring issue with the PR, it's because I wanted it to appear like it's shining some light out into the surrounding pixels like how many, many machines already do. This was because I feared the screen would appear too small and hard to notice, so the light helps it be more visible. The blurring is mostly only really visible for when it's on charging, where everything is blue.

As for the colors in the screens themselves not being bright enough, I already brightened them up significantly from the original eris versions. I can make the text brighter still, but it stood out too much to me and looked ugly, so I decided against it.
Apparently I was an director or something.
Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #326636

WJohnston wrote:People dislike new sprites on the basis of them being new and that's the most they'll ever admit. If you have an actual complaint that can be actually remedied that's NOT just revert it, please, tell us.
This is an incorrect and inflammatory statement.
I like a lot of new recent sprites, however, in this case I find nothing redeemable about the sprite and dislike it.
Please don't throw out blanket statements.
I play Boris Pepper.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #326651

WJohnston wrote:People dislike new sprites on the basis of them being new and that's the most they'll ever admit. If you have an actual complaint that can be actually remedied that's NOT just revert it, please, tell us.

I adressed the muddy blurring issue with the PR, it's because I wanted it to appear like it's shining some light out into the surrounding pixels like how many, many machines already do. This was because I feared the screen would appear too small and hard to notice, so the light helps it be more visible. The blurring is mostly only really visible for when it's on charging, where everything is blue.

As for the colors in the screens themselves not being bright enough, I already brightened them up significantly from the original eris versions. I can make the text brighter still, but it stood out too much to me and looked ugly, so I decided against it.
There have been plenty of new sprites added to the game that I like, but they're art assets - most of the time what more can I say than 'they look bad'?
For example the new charger sprite is a blurry, flat looking rectangle. Literally the exact same can be said for the apc.

The sprites that are the same but from a different perspective while I think are worse, they're not 'shit' so to speak, just the perspective doesn't mesh with everything else in the game and so looks out of place.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #326671

Terrible stance to take. Plenty of people can see that the sprites are bad, but they're not exactly art majors that can pick apart and tell you why, and if you follow this line of reasoning then even arguing with you is pointless. Like an anti-vaccination parent who believes anybody who disagrees is part of a conspiracy.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #326676

You don't need to be an art major or at all experienced in art to tell me what you don't like that's more descriptive than "I don't like it".

Bluespace brought up valid points, and I agree with him, there's a PR xhuis made to try and remedy some of these.
https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/29901

Be like bluespace, I can work with that.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #326690

I like the new sprites a lot. However, their pixel offsets are off and they do not appear in the right place on the walls. Fix that and they're great

also the "flat rectangle" complaint is fucking dumb, what do you think the old APC sprite was
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #326703

I was pointing out that wj's demand for 'a better explaination' meant that my critisim of the charger and the apc is basically the exact same thing.
Also the old apc is much more crisp and has actual useful information in that you can see what is power turned on or not (enviro/lights etc) visually.
Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #326706

Yeah, my main reason for liking the older sprites is the fantastic visual feedback they provide to the user.
At a glance, you can tell absolutely everything about the APC, and they can be an actual fairly important part of gameplay, especially during traitor AI and during a power sink.
I play Boris Pepper.
WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #326711

@Bluespace
I argue these ones can do that a little bit better. The UI is laid out vertically, with equipment, power, and environment all laid out on top of eachother. The new sprite now reflects that vertically too, rather than horizontally.

@Lumipharon
I think an increase in contrast is in order, xhuis already has a PR up to make the lights more visible, but I'll see what I can do to make them really stand out.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #326712

The new APCs don't have enough feedback. The old sprites had higher contrast between the frame and the light settings (blue for auto, green for manually on, red for manually off) and I've had a few rounds now where the AI almost or does get lynched because no one can tell the difference between an emagged one and a charging one at a glance and nobody is willing to check twice.

Up the contrast, make the charging screen lighter and the emagged screen darker and make the frame white is my two cents
pubby
Github User
Byond Username: Pubby
Github Username: pubby

Post by pubby » #326724

Just fucking compromise and combine the two.

pubby
Github User

Post by pubby » #326748

Togopal
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Togopal

Post by Togopal » #326863

You should make the APC a little bit higher but it looks nice

Togopal
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Togopal

Post by Togopal » #326866

By the way I was talking to Pubby the APCs we currently have are trash

DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #326920

Just like toolboxes.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #326954

pubby wrote:Image
what the heck thats so much better than these new ones

is this PRed yet
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #326960

The pubby sprites are nicer but there needs to be a little bit of APC casing at the bottom, the black buttons blend with the wall.
I play Boris Pepper.
pubby
Github User

Post by pubby » #327005

PKPenguin321 wrote:is this PRed yet
It's on github but I'm not too hopeful it will get merged

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/29922

They currently look like this:
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #327008

repeating this anytime people express distaste for a new sprite is just as ridiculous
Limey wrote:its too late.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #327013

Qbopper wrote:
repeating this anytime people express distaste for a new sprite is just as ridiculous
old vendors were better tbh

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #327017

idc about that, fuck new box sprites
calzilla1
Byond Username: Calzilla1

Post by calzilla1 » #327044

Why are we adding new sprites again?
Life is too short for anything meaningful and too long for anything memeingful
Super Aggro Crag wrote: The best shitpost youll ever be responsible for will be your obituary.
Quality debate brought to you by ColonicAcid wrote:imagine having this little empathy

do you have autism bud? does your brain not see these people as humans? are they just a faceless statistic to you?
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #327080

Because the old sprites are shit and anybody who likes them is clearly blinded by nostalgia and must be ignored.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #327103

My biggest disapproval if WJohn will only listen to artistic arguements is that the detail at the bottom does not transfer well onto differently wall angles, making them harder to use in map-making.

The "original" pre-pr APC was a featureless white rectangular box that could be positioned anywhere on the wall with ease since the casing was not the primary detail, whereas putting this new APC on a southern wall facing north causes some difficulties due to it having unusual proportions and being slightly 3d rather than perfectly flat and inset into the wall.

Essentially its too fat with unnecessary detail, same problem with pubby's submission being case heavy and low to the floor in which the content should not be defined by the APC case but by the interior screen being more descriptive/detailed.

Spoiler:
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #327128

a fwoosh post that I understand + agree with

what the fuck
WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #327190

you know, fwoosh, i am listening. there's a PR up that makes them not 3/4th perspective, that makes them more easily readable with increased contrast, and will be changing the pixel shifting so it's more aligned with the terminals. you really should check out the 4 something PRs up that were made in response to this change, and my contributions and thoughts on them, where i also point out the community's unrest.

or not.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #327201

There's also another saying that "don't fix it if it ain't broke", that doesn't require expertise counseling by yours truly to draw any conclusions from that as art lead.

A usable white rectangle that sits inset on the wall, or this contrasted semi 3d apc that people vocally dislike and its details actually draw attention away from what it might actually be trying to tell you and alienates mappers into different decisions (lightly grazing on my previous post.)

A compromise does not rectify these issues, and its reactionary to a unlikable change in the first place; i do think you place "art" over gameplay practicality and this is a good example of exactly that to deface something so simple with noisy features.

Spoiler:
Remie Richards
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #327266

pubby's are way better than what was merged.
The others only got merged because they were bundled with more sprite changes.
私は完璧
WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #327267

It also included the increased contrast PR which was very popular.
Thunder11
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Thunder12345
Github Username: Thunder12345

Post by Thunder11 » #327278

To me, all the new ones are massively worse than the original. The 3/4th one is atrocious for reasons that should already be obvious. The rest all look just as much like flat boxes as the original, but completely fail at being as clear about what they're doing. If pubby's had the lights bigger, with some casing around the bottom, we'd basically be back to the original with better shading, which is where we should've gone from the start.
ImageImage
Spoiler:
IcePacks wrote:
MrFoster wrote:Back in my day, we didn't complain about lag! We used it to queue attacks!
That's thinking on your feet, soldier!
Quality Paprika from #coderbus wrote:[11:35.52] <paprika> holy crap so yeah i don't care about your opinion at all
oranges wrote:
Excuse me? Thats for sensible and calm rational debate, not for senseless whining.
Resident Catmin, please direct catposting to: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5578
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #327279

pubby's lights/screens are actually identical to the original ones.
the only thing different about his is the casing.
私は完璧
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #327342

What exactly made someone look at the apc and go "gee, I really wish it was changed"?

To the same degree that people are arguing against change because it's change, I think it's a bit silly to change something just for the sake of changing it. The original apcs did just fine and people could easily discern information depending on the sprite.

This is on par with a codebaby and it really needs to stop.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #327354

Same thing happened to drink bottles & before that merged by wjohn themselves the pens & stamps where it was completely unnecessary to do so, and ambivalence to largely mundane and not interacted objects let it slide under the radar. APC's are actually important to multiple roles, station power and a antagonist.
  • Absinthe has a enormous skull and crossbones on the front of it and looks like rat poison, how is this a improvement compared to the rest of the sleek (though not uniform artistically) bottles we had before?

Spoiler: