Gorilla's - A hippiestation preview review

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Gorilla's - A hippiestation preview review

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #328597

The only code deviation really was them adapting the monkey meatslab into their own code.

I played a bit of gorilla as hippie and i can say the gimmick of having hands is actually underwhelming as what it might appear, gorillas upright holding objects are painfully slow and really not worth it unless you have objects to block ranges projectiles. Like really you would actually require something absurd like a eshield to justify it.

My feedback because certainly this mob is going to get abused, but it is easily defeatable with strafing tactics. Hippie mowed down a lot of player & NPC gorillas using self recharging laser guns & also gangmode turrets (it was a admin event where 30 gorillas were spawned at a time)
  • Allow gorilla's to beat down walls on harm intent, they can only push.
  • Gorilla's become slower on 4 legs and slightly faster on two, because rampaging on 4 gorillas will charge you at max speed & high velocity stunpunches, while gorilla's otherwise move very very slowly on 2 legs and do less damage with items so its got no combat edge at all. Just handicap the max speed & make item holding a little bit more hurried will nicely even it out
  • Allow gorilla's to wear hats, eyewear & masks for cosmetics and small amount of functionality if sprites allow, similar situation to the WIP dwarf pr if limited, its a natural step to omitting more of your slots for being a more powerful monkey

Spoiler:
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Re: Gorilla's - A hippiestation preview review

Post by D&B » #328619

D I C K S

O U T
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #328676

Speaking now the round has ended on sybil, gorilla's have finally landed and some player feedback from deadchat (and ick ock) is that they'd like gorilla's to be more ckey mob like, a odd request coming from a surgeon who'd like them to be operated on.

We did have a dedicated crewmember gorilla but after watching them a while it was obvious they were having difficulty doing things, as they slowly paced around assisting crewmembers with their emergency toolbox and even a dedicated ID.
  • Gorilla's cannot eat banana's to heal themselves or even as a snack, what a horrendous lack of foresight.

Spoiler:
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #328724

can we make reverting someone to a monkey and then human possible? this seems like too easy a way to make someone into a shitty simple mob and removed from the round.
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #328725

Their talk sound seems really, really loud and low quality.
I play Boris Pepper.
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #328742

WHY CAN THEY USE GUNS. WHO THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #328765

Somebody dropped a comment of dissapointment that lizards have no mobs to turn into either. Are we investing too heavily in monkies?

Also somehow gorilla's appear every round, not sure if its fucky geneticists or admins are yet to get bored of the novelty of inserting them.

Spoiler:
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #328776

I'd have preferred full speed with items and NO_GUNS
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #328782

FantasticFwoosh wrote:Somebody dropped a comment of dissapointment that lizards have no mobs to turn into either. Are we investing too heavily in monkies?

Also somehow gorilla's appear every round, not sure if its fucky geneticists or admins are yet to get bored of the novelty of inserting them.
Oh that's simple they turn you into a monkey and massively irradiate you to near death until you mutate into a gorilla
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #328794

Bombadil wrote:
FantasticFwoosh wrote:Somebody dropped a comment of dissapointment that lizards have no mobs to turn into either. Are we investing too heavily in monkies?

Oh that's simple they turn you into a monkey and massively irradiate you to near death until you mutate into a gorilla
Basically confirming that by now its common knowledge, i knew of the method and gotcha. Gorilla conversions are the new way for genetics to release dangerous powers out on the station if its not midget hulks or telekenesis used to grief.

Can we remove genetics yet?

Spoiler:
Tokiko2
Byond Username: Tokiko1

Post by Tokiko2 » #328995

Why are gorillas playable? I thought they were supposed to be environmental hazard NPCs like they used to be before.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #329547

Tokiko2 wrote:Why are gorillas playable? I thought they were supposed to be environmental hazard NPCs like they used to be before.
Because of the monkeyization process not needing mind transfer or intelligence potions, else gorilla's would be a subjectively shitty xenobio meme.

Its getting nerfed however, so it may end up being stuck in xenobio and freak accidents in the future more commonly.

Lowers the chance for monkeys to become gorillas #30120

[url-https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/30108]Removes gorilla mutation chance from monkeys #30108[/url]

Spoiler:
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #329590

Gorilla's....can use guns.....
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Rustledjimm
Byond Username: Rustledjimm

Post by Rustledjimm » #329632

Also. As far as I've seen they cannot be slipped. Like at all. Dunno about lube.
So uhh, I'm an admin. Please leave feedback! Oops took me a while to strike that through.

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
Personal Ban Length Record: 2.1024e+006 minutes
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #329637

they are simple animals, like drones which also can't be slipped but have hands.

Spoiler:
Rustledjimm
Byond Username: Rustledjimm

Post by Rustledjimm » #329648

It makes them pretty OP during a fight if there is water about.

During a round every round last night there was about 3-4 just going around beating the crap out of everyone. However in this particular round there was a moment the fight happened to pass over a patch of hallway the janitor had just cleaned.

Lo and behold the 5 or so humans fighting the gorillas almost immediately got robusted as they either slipped or forced to walk while the gorillas could freely beat the shit out of them.
So uhh, I'm an admin. Please leave feedback! Oops took me a while to strike that through.

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
Personal Ban Length Record: 2.1024e+006 minutes
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #329650

Same for any other simple animal such as being chased by space bears, though with how hard a gorilla hits i can sympathise.

Spoiler:
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #329729

Apes need to be made carbons like monkeys or gtfo tbh
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #331144

who thought incorporating a feature from hippiestation that makes you unstunnable oldhulks was a good idea though
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #331197

On the other hand without lazaruses you're permadead if you get shot, gorillas are vunerable to shotguns & powerful lasers.

Butcher a gorilla afterwards, no coming back.

Spoiler:
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #331246

[youtube]r_oaVD4NzYo[/youtube]
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current