Nightmare

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Nightmare

Post by onleavedontatme » #334174

Please post feedback here I need the attention thanks
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Re: Nightmare

Post by Armhulen » #334175

reposting what i told you DEAD: Nightmare says, "It's the most fun i've had as an antag in a long time"

ultra glass cannon, add turning off lights on borgs and you'd have something really good
Kel
Byond Username: Jaraxxus

Post by Kel » #334176

why change the name from shadowling
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #334177

bad history i guess. the naming schemes from shadowling should be kept though

check it out: -var/list/possibleShadowlingNames = list("U'ruan", "Y`shej", "Nex", "Hel-uae", "Noaey'gief", "Mii`mahza", "Amerziox", "Gyrg-mylin", "Kanet'pruunance", "Vigistaezian"
Last edited by Armhulen on Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #334178

i bet anonmare was behind this
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #334179

Kel wrote:why change the name from shadowling
I never liked shadowling as a name because it sounded like OOC slang and they shared nothing in common with lings (ironically nightmares have armblades now)

Shadowling glare reminded me of sleep paralysis so this is the name I had suggested for them and grown attached to (ironically the ability that inspired the name is gone)

They function pretty distinctly from shadowling even if they are thematically similar and I think hippie at least plans to have both on their server

Vanity because its my project now
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #334181

DemonFiren wrote:i bet anonmare was behind this
Happy_rabbit_merchant.png
calzilla1
Byond Username: Calzilla1

Post by calzilla1 » #334185

Make their thralls Grues
Life is too short for anything meaningful and too long for anything memeingful
Super Aggro Crag wrote: The best shitpost youll ever be responsible for will be your obituary.
Quality debate brought to you by ColonicAcid wrote:imagine having this little empathy

do you have autism bud? does your brain not see these people as humans? are they just a faceless statistic to you?
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Post by Xhuis » #334190

it is my civic duty to hijack these
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #334192

I made shadow people for Stillchrs planned shadow person game mode in like 2012 so technically you already hijacked them once
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #334194

ha destroyed
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #334195

kor please give them a shadowling skin instead of the shadowperson skin
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #334199

Armhulen wrote:add turning off lights on borgs and you'd have something really good
https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/ ... 52dcfa80cf
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #334201

I'm more a fan of black-and-violet since nothing uses it, whereas black-and-red is currently occupied by bloodcult, so I still have some old sprites from umbrage:
a lot of the abilities from there would also fit well here and might be good for inspiration, if you'd like
Edit: also some spooky sound work but I dunno how much of that is applicable so
CitrusGender
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: CitrusGender
Github Username: CitrusGender

Post by CitrusGender » #334203

I was one of the people who tested it out when Kor gave it to me. It's pretty good, the fact that it was unexpected gave me a lot of time to do shit though. All I had was adrenaline, shadow walk, and an armblade: so I wasn't able to stun anyone (also I didn't want to pick up stun guns and shit to be fair) but overall I enjoyed doing it to break down lights. Obviously, could benefit from a few more powers but I think the infinite shadow walk think was really beneficial to let me move around quickly and gave me a lot of reasons to break down lights. I literally would stalk people in the shadows and wait for the opportune moment to attack someone (WHICH IS REALLY FUN). The only problem was that I accidentally walked into space like 3 times.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #334211

Armhulen wrote:kor please give them a shadowling skin instead of the shadowperson skin
<KorPhaeron> MRTY, are you planning to port nightmares
<MRTY> KorPhaeron, ye. but i plan on also keeping hippie slings
<KorPhaeron> thats what I figured
Xhuis wrote:I'm more a fan of black-and-violet since nothing uses it, whereas black-and-red is currently occupied by bloodcult, so I still have some old sprites from umbrage:
a lot of the abilities from there would also fit well here and might be good for inspiration, if you'd like
Edit: also some spooky sound work but I dunno how much of that is applicable so
I do not really like that sprite I will look at the sounds though
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #334212

my power grows
I don't blame you, the sprite isn't all that good
I am glad that at least something from umbrage can be salvaged and put to use however
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #334213

CitrusGender wrote:I was one of the people who tested it out when Kor gave it to me. It's pretty good, the fact that it was unexpected gave me a lot of time to do shit though. All I had was adrenaline, shadow walk, and an armblade: so I wasn't able to stun anyone (also I didn't want to pick up stun guns and shit to be fair) but overall I enjoyed doing it to break down lights. Obviously, could benefit from a few more powers but I think the infinite shadow walk think was really beneficial to let me move around quickly and gave me a lot of reasons to break down lights. I literally would stalk people in the shadows and wait for the opportune moment to attack someone (WHICH IS REALLY FUN). The only problem was that I accidentally walked into space like 3 times.
You'll have to retry it now that it can actually break lights people are holding. Still not sure how the issue of getting stuck in a wall next to space and being forced to walk out, though the power currently blocks direct movement into space tiles.

I'm glad you enjoyed the back and forth hunting aspect of it, its what I think is special about the antag. Will be trying to add new abilities but I'm worried about detracting from the core gameplay/bloating it.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #334214

the hippie one where he does the pulsing? if so i'm all for it
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #334215

No I mean hippie (and I assume yog and other downstreams that auto mirror PRs) is gonna have both this and shadowling on their server so they need different sprites than the ones shadowlings use

I guess "need" is a strong word sincr downstreams could probably find a way to work around it but I am honestly also just a fan of the sickly creepy horror look vs the more high fantasy of the shadowling (I agree styles aside the hippie one is higher quality though)
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #334219

Even if you're trying to avoid that downstream they'd have to deal with armblade teleporting monsters looking exactly like parasting evolved thralls
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #334221

I don't think downstream is a great excuse to drop our quality anyways, but the fantasy vs real thing is considerable. Maybe we should reskin the light eater and then talk about how he looks.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #334222

shadow walks behind u
pssh... nothin personnel kid...

Regarding the light eater, I think the arm blade is very odd, but I'll concede that I don't really know of a replacement for it
could always go with what I originally had for umbrage's Pass ability where it's just a mass of tentacles for the eldritch aspect, I think I have sprites around
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #334225

reskinned tentacle arm would do
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #334231

Tentacle arm that can break lights from a distance and smother flares/torches would be good. Light eater ought to be able to kill glowshrooms in one hit due to how quick that shit spreads.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #334234

Anonmare wrote:Tentacle arm that can break lights from a distance and smother flares/torches would be good. Light eater ought to be able to kill glowshrooms in one hit due to how quick that shit spreads.
No range, it's a glass cannon and that would ruin it.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #334235

Tentacle arm would only target light tubes and items. Doesn't affect mobs.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #334238

Having no ranged way of breaking lights means you're forced to commit to doing so, and if the room is occupied, choose between going after your victim (and being unable to escape easily if the fight turns bad) or go for the light (giving the victim a chance to flee)
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #334239

Armhulen wrote:but the fantasy vs real thing is considerable
I was actually going to use the glowing guy when I was planning on very different abilities (and the pulsing glow would signify he was shielded/able to absorb hits) but he just looks too buff and glowy for how it plays now.

I didn't remember that the downstreams had thralls actually turn into shadowpeople so I guess that point is moot though.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #334240

VERY spooky nightmare eating lights at incredible hihg speed

The race is just the old shadowling sprites and the light eater is the tentacle tweaked to look like a spooky eldritch tentacle and not a fleshy one
Race and light eater sprites can be found here if you'd like to use them; for the object icon the normal tentacle one in items_and_weapons.dmi looks fine
Last edited by Xhuis on Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #334241

can you add the shadow devil next
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #334242

ExcessiveCobblestone wrote:can you add the shadow devil next

kor pay attention i got your master of shadow and darkness right here
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #334243

fund it
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #334244

From the old shadowling thread, powers!

Meld: The shadowling hides in the shadow of a random person on screen, completely unbeknownst to them. This ability allows the shadowling to travel through lit areas safely and stealthily. The ability only works when a target isn't in complete darkness however, and the only way to force a shadowling out of someone's shadow is to place them in total darkness.[/quote]

Plane Sleight (A pun on hiding in plain sight and void shenanigans): The shadowling chooses a target and for thirty seconds the shadowling is completely invisible to them.

Useful both offensively and defensively, but only in 1V1. Play smart!

Entropy: When activated normally, all lights are disabled in range for a short while same as the old shadowling power. If used while the [INHAND THINGY] is active, the shadowling will EMP and stun (or just deal a shitload of stamina damage, preferably a stun) on a melee hit on a creature. If the target is a APC then all lights connected to it will overload throwing revenant lightning before blowing them and will completely drain and turn off recharging for the APC.

Don't let the shadowling reach the APCs or else it'll give you a bad time and make it's life much easier.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #334245

I like the simplicity the nightmare has right now.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #334250

ShadowDimentio wrote:From the old shadowling thread, powers!

Meld: The shadowling hides in the shadow of a random person on screen, completely unbeknownst to them. This ability allows the shadowling to travel through lit areas safely and stealthily. The ability only works when a target isn't in complete darkness however, and the only way to force a shadowling out of someone's shadow is to place them in total darkness.
Plane Sleight (A pun on hiding in plain sight and void shenanigans): The shadowling chooses a target and for thirty seconds the shadowling is completely invisible to them.

Useful both offensively and defensively, but only in 1V1. Play smart!

Entropy: When activated normally, all lights are disabled in range for a short while same as the old shadowling power. If used while the [INHAND THINGY] is active, the shadowling will EMP and stun (or just deal a shitload of stamina damage, preferably a stun) on a melee hit on a creature. If the target is a APC then all lights connected to it will overload throwing revenant lightning before blowing them and will completely drain and turn off recharging for the APC.

Don't let the shadowling reach the APCs or else it'll give you a bad time and make it's life much easier.[/quote]

Meld would make them invincible because they could just hide inside a person until they are in the dark and then jaunt

Entropy would make them invincible because they could just turn off the lights and then jaunt

Plane Sleight is already basically in because if it hits you in the dark and breaks your lights you can't see it anymore
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #334255

This sounds like a great opportunity to add a Heart of Darkness item for reference sake although I'm not sure what it's functionality would be

Also hardcode flashlight eyes to be hard counters if not already
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #334257

ExcessiveCobblestone wrote:This sounds like a great opportunity to add a Heart of Darkness item for reference sake although I'm not sure what it's functionality would be

Also hardcode flashlight eyes to be hard counters if not already
Could make it give the jaunt power when consumed like the demon heart does, but that might be too OP to let the HoS get it in a regular round
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #334258

You don't get loot from changelings, you don't get loot from nightmares!
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #334259

Armhulen wrote:You don't get loot from changelings, you don't get loot from nightmares!
One happens much more often than the other will!
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #334260

ExcessiveCobblestone wrote:
Armhulen wrote:You don't get loot from changelings, you don't get loot from nightmares!
One happens much more often than the other will!
way too early to say that but even one shadowling in a round means the hos/captain can fuck you jaunt around the station
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #334261

I'll come up with something more tangible
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #334262

i'd be okay with something turning you into shadowpeople and shadowpeople being way better
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #334263

Was pretty fun, the main issues I found were as follows:

Lag causing light to stay with no source is a serious issue, although not a gameplay one.

AI floors shit out light that can't be turned off (might work if the apc is cut, didn't get a chance to try)

You can be pinned and cucked simply by someone running at you with a light source - if they stun you it's ggnore.

Also if you're up against more than 1 person at once, it's pretty easy for them to fuck you up, unless you're in a position where you can outrun them and get into darkness somewhere.

Over all it's great fun though, and look forward to the finished product!
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #334323

Can somebody give me a quick rundown? Kor got tired from hearing about shadowlings, so he made his own shadowlings as a side antag?
Bring back papercult.

onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #334333

InsaneHyena wrote:Can somebody give me a quick rundown? Kor got tired from hearing about shadowlings, so he made his own shadowlings as a side antag?
I mean basically yeah
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #334382

Quite spooky.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #334391

And the concept finally makes sense now it is no longer a conversion mode.

Now the shadowling/nightmare actually has a reason to use their interesting abilities instead of sitting in a maintenance closet letting thralls abduct people for him.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #334492

black and violet is superior to black and red though
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Cobby
Code Maintainer