Mining and Science >>> Security at Security's Job

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Mining and Science >>> Security at Security's Job

Post by Oldman Robustin » #334617

This is hardly a new problem but it's one that seems more glaring than ever since I've come back. RND and Mining have streamlined their strategies and the reduced effort means its not only more attractive to use these departments to powergame but it's also happening earlier and earlier.

These departments not only surpass Security in robustness, but they do so in a way that's far more entertaining/fun than "taze + kill/cuff". It's not just the crazy toys that each department gets that makes an INDIVIDUAL more robust than any member of security (Scientist + RND toys/weapons, Miner + Chest/Mega Loot) but they also possess the ability to deploy more sentient (player controlled) combat-oriented soldiers than exist on a full security team. Minebot spam and mineral golems are both new tactics I've seen multiple times in the last few days.

On one hand, wacky crazy shit that often results when ghosts are mass-deployed is part of what makes SS13 unique and entertaining - on the other hand it gets a little silly when "civilian" departments can deploy effective armies often before the shuttle is even fueled.

Leave it alone? Nerf their effectiveness? Make them harder to obtain?

I'm planning to at least remove the ability to carry around golem shells, for starters.
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Re: Mining and Science >>> Security at Security's Job

Post by D&B » #334638

Xenobio being able to make golem shells was a mistake.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #334639

To be honest, i never realized you could pick shells up, putting them in backpacks is definitely unintended.

D&B they used to make golems before there even were mining golems
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
D&B

Post by D&B » #334642

XDTM wrote:To be honest, i never realized you could pick shells up, putting them in backpacks is definitely unintended.

D&B they used to make golems before there even were mining golems
Yes, and then golems got powercrept to hell and back without taking into account station made golem balance.

In any case, even if it came before, being able to make an army just because of RNG seems like bad design to me.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #334644

Golems currently have a stupid amount of health, it takes a lot of hits for anything to kill the silver, iron, and adamantium golems.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #334650

"Material" golems having any differences beyond cosmetic was a mistake. Giving xenobio golem shells was an even bigger mistake.
Bring back papercult.

lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #334664

Powercreep is a really horrible cancer in this game.

Mining has way to many power items they can get to let them powergame on station (making them powerful as fuck lavaland only is perfectly fine).
Science (mainly R&D of course) is in a perpetual state of powercreep, literally for as long as I can remember.

Golems, or any other ghost role player creatable shit should NEVER be spammable.
Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #334706

I might look at scaling back some of the variables for mineral golems if that's the consensus.

I glanced at them earlier and there were a few that really raised eyebrows (60% chance stunhands, deathsquad tier armor, 18 damage melee attacks, etc.).

I don't think they should be impotent in combat, and minebots might be even bigger offenders (repairable, ranged attack, unstunnable), but I don't think they should be unbeatable to anyone who doesn't have a gun either.
BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #334708

If you balance the golems so they're not cancer to fight you'll be my hero robustin
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #334737

i ded
D&B

Post by D&B » #334738

kevinz000 wrote:i ded
Play ded
Spoiler:
fuck you
XDTM
Github User

Post by XDTM » #334804

I think that increasing the effort to obtain golems (5 adamantium bars instead of one) and reducing the base stats a bit would help.

However, the special golems do take 10 sheets of mineral, which amounts to 20000 of the selected material, which isn't that cheap.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #335001

Increasing the bar cost was one of my first instincts although 5 seems a bit much.

My biggest concern with that approach is that given the trends of science any "cost increase" would be negated within a year by some other buffs making it even easier to mass-harvest cores.

I could start just by doubling the cost so its 2 bars per shell and seeing where that leaves us, it's certainly easier than trying to adjust 20 different goddamn golem types.
J_Madison
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Akesson

Post by J_Madison » #335006

Oldman Robustin wrote: departments not only surpass Security in robustness
player issue. good sec players go one of three ways;

kiss ass become admin ban other sec players.
get banned.
quit.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #335007

J_Madison wrote:
Oldman Robustin wrote: departments not only surpass Security in robustness
player issue. good sec players go one of three ways;

kiss ass become admin ban other sec players.
get banned.
quit.
true
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #335009

That sounds pretty amazing to be honest
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #335019

FUCK I DIDNT THINK OF THAT FUCK
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Post by Bawhoppennn » #335028

Good idea. Someone get coding.
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
XDTM
Github User

Post by XDTM » #335045

I like it but it would also completely remove any suicide/expendable golem strategy, especially plasma golems

What about a limit of golems for each "owner"? After which either it doesn't work at all, or the golem made is unenslaved
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Post by Bawhoppennn » #335083

XDTM wrote:I like it but it would also completely remove any suicide/expendable golem strategy, especially plasma golems
It's not anything worth keeping.
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #335085

Bawhoppennn wrote:Good idea. Someone get coding.
Remie already did, you just have to soullink the golems to the master
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #335093

Golems are so weak and slow you could never make them again if their deaths hurt you
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #335101

I'd much rather your death hurt them instead of their death hurting you.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #335105

Armhulen wrote:I'd much rather your death hurt them instead of their death hurting you.
D&B

Post by D&B » #335112

Make them work like blobernauts and they slowly die and crumble if the original invoker dies.
Spoiler:
fuck you
Qbmax32
Byond Username: Qbmax32
Github Username: qbmax32

Post by Qbmax32 » #335339

Isn't kev coding a tech web thing for RND so powergaming is harder?
my admin feedback thread

quotes
Spoiler:
wesoda25 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:02 am Qbmax32 is quite literally one of the dumbest individuals I have ever had the misfortune of coming into contact with. He has zero redeemable traits, and honestly I have to suppress my gag reflex every time he shows up in a conversation.
Malkraz wrote:YES
DRINK THE PISS QB
angelstarri wrote:qbmax is a retard
imsxz wrote:mythic please stop you’ve hit rock bottom and you KEEP DIGGING
deedubya wrote:I'll defend to the death your right to scream "NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER" on a constant basis, but I'll also equally defend the right of people to call you a fuckin' pillock for doing it.
datorangebottle wrote:what, not having to act like customer service in a volunteer customer service position?

Here's a rebuttal: you're literally in a customer service slash celebrity position. Volunteer or not.
Malkraz wrote:can you stop posting this shit
Nalzul wrote:Fuck Blob (can you imagine how hot it would be to be gangbanged by a bunch of blobbernauts, the blob, and spores)
Wyzack wrote:qbmax your pathetic display of abhorrent burgercraft has brought shame onto the omnivores
Plapatin wrote:i AM the senate
BONERMASTER wrote:I am a big thinker, and it would only be logical if my character had a big head as well. And glasses. Because only people that think, wear glasses.
feem wrote:i tried to send canisters of urine to the station but ended up turning all oxygen into urine and breaking lavaland and also breathing
Anonmare wrote:Each post in this thread can't settle on what it wants to be, but yet, each one is more cursed than the last.
Beesting12 wrote:please write an apology to this forums, this community, the host, and the internet as a whole for the data storage space you wasted with this complaint.
Vile Beggar wrote:i don't like this thread
imsxz wrote:nervore
FantasticFwoosh wrote:I will whisper sweet nothings that will confuse and perhaps scare you a little, but enhance the experience no-less.
afelinidisfinetoo wrote:By the way, the person who posted that catgirl porn on the github page was me. If anyone wants my private stash just PM me
Nervere wrote:Anything for a femoid.....
Qbopper wrote:I'm a dumb poopy butthead
CitrusGender wrote:god i love it when people feed me my own fried legs
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #335340

Qbmax32 wrote:Isn't kev coding a tech web thing for RND so powergaming is harder?
easier, but now at least it's fun to do
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #335345

>kev
>doing anything to make powergaming harder
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #335384

D&B wrote:
kevinz000 wrote:i ded
Play ded
fuck
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #335385

Armhulen wrote:
Qbmax32 wrote:Isn't kev coding a tech web thing for RND so powergaming is harder?
easier, but now at least it's fun to do
powergaming will not be any harder because it's designed to make it easier to do (the entire point of techwebs) but
it'll take longer though.
Jembo
Byond Username: Jembo

Post by Jembo » #335396

God forbid anyone have any amount of power over security even if it takes 15+ minutes and a decent amount of luck. God sec is already handed a weapon to counter nearly everything they'll have to encounter at the start of the round. Golems are weak, flashbang them if you're really that bad of a shot with a taser.
XDTM
Github User

Post by XDTM » #335497

Are we all ignoring the fact that apparently security's job here is to kill valids more than detain criminals?
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #335500

Jembo wrote:God forbid anyone have any amount of power over security even if it takes 15+ minutes and a decent amount of luck. God sec is already handed a weapon to counter nearly everything they'll have to encounter at the start of the round. Golems are weak, flashbang them if you're really that bad of a shot with a taser.
Golems have a lot of health.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:

hows my driving?
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #335572

Jembo wrote:God forbid anyone have any amount of power over security even if it takes 15+ minutes and a decent amount of luck. God sec is already handed a weapon to counter nearly everything they'll have to encounter at the start of the round. Golems are weak, flashbang them if you're really that bad of a shot with a taser.

>15 minutes is now considered " a lot of effort to create a near-unlimited army of people with stunbaton hands and built-in armour all slaved to a single persons command"

Wew lads
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #335680

The last golems I faced off against were plasteel and they get a 60% stun reduction and basically e-daggers for hands with a built in bonus stun chance.

Think of each one as a mini juggernaut and then account for there being 6-8 of them.

Also accounts for the fact that if their master is in the field or they are part of a larger team, you won't be able to just pick them off one by one.
XDTM
Github User

Post by XDTM » #335695

You forgot to mention that their stun chance is the same as base golems and that they're really really slow

weren't you the guy making slow but unstunnable zombies?
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #335754

>25tc romerol
>need more than one tator to work together BEFORE spending all their tc's (or rng crate lel)
>have to put it into people that then have to die
>50% of the time they're salty shitters that will try rat you out/beg to get changed back rather then be a zombie
>comparing this to infinite golem spam, tator not required
XDTM
Github User

Post by XDTM » #335756

my point was that he tried to balance stunproofing with slowness and then criticizes another thing which uses the same mechanic (which is not even stun immunity)
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #335764

But they're not comparable balance wise? Zombies rely on killing and converting the crew, and represent a massive traitor tc investment for something that may or may not work. Where as golems it's just spam as many as physically possible, ghosts permitting, and they're all slaved to your will.
Also zombies can't do anything except run around and attack things, where as golems are stunpunching damage resisting suicide soldiers since their master can just shit more out if they die.
Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #335828

XDTM wrote:my point was that he tried to balance stunproofing with slowness and then criticizes another thing which uses the same mechanic (which is not even stun immunity)
I'm not saying those mechanics are inherently bad, I'm saying that when combined with a spammable ghost-role that unifies the creatures around a singular "master" - it gets ridiculous. I was specifically mentioning stun resistance to the guy who mentioned flashbangs since flashbangs with 60% less stun isn't enough time to do much anything.
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #335948

XDTM wrote:Are we all ignoring the fact that apparently security's job here is to kill valids more than detain criminals?
Without fail security gets mocked in OOC if they missed even one valid salad or spent any amount of time arresting the ~obviously innocent~ greytiders making explosive lances.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #335977

ah but playing as an incompetent sec is a hilarious license to print salt
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #336175

Arianya wrote:
XDTM wrote:Are we all ignoring the fact that apparently security's job here is to kill valids more than detain criminals?
Without fail security gets mocked in OOC if they missed even one valid salad or spent any amount of time arresting the ~obviously innocent~ greytiders making explosive lances.
Try not playing on basil.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #352920

Arianya wrote:
Oh no, how awful
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #352922

My best response to this thread is lol
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #352923

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Arianya wrote:
Oh no, how awful
the last reply to this was a month and a half ago you dumb fuck
LifeReign
Byond Username: LifeReign

Post by LifeReign » #352941

captain sawrge wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:
Arianya wrote:
Oh no, how awful
Worse, he posted after Halloween ended, so he even missed the timing for necromancy! This is an outrage!
Bagil- Eats-Shoots-and-Leaves: Probably the botanist
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #353002

captain sawrge wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:
Arianya wrote:
Oh no, how awful
How terrible oh no
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Post by John_Oxford » #353010

security gets it's own science department and can create androids and load them with chips to bring ghosts into security roles
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #353031

So gun crafting + terminators