Clockwork Cult (now off of rotation, suggestions go in this thread)

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Re: Clockwork Cult 2.0

Post by Armhulen » #355749

Bottom post of the previous page:

Xhuis wrote:I agree with him on the points about disguise, and to a degree the ones about base defense. I don't agree with his proposed solutions of lanes and the like, but I'll admit that there are some kinks with what's there already that could very well stand some ironing out. I'm currently burnt out on clockcult, but I'll give some thought on how to improve those except for the obvious disguise stuff, where it's already quite clear what to patch up.
it's easy, watch this.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #355759

Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Post by Xhuis » #355769

While I'm glad you have inclination to work on the mode, your attitude of "make this change or the mode is doomed to fail" seems rather childish, especially because the feedback I hear is that the mode is fun right now for both sides. Marauders are the only outstanding problem to me, and while the other mechanics are rough around the edges, they do their job well. Power was designed to either be copious or be in short supply, and defenses show that more than anything.

Removing marauders will not "fix" the gamemode, and emitters won't "save" it. Someone will always be dissatisfied about something, and I hope you're better in knowing that than Joan.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #355794

Xhuis wrote:While I'm glad you have inclination to work on the mode, your attitude of "make this change or the mode is doomed to fail" seems rather childish, especially because the feedback I hear is that the mode is fun right now for both sides. Marauders are the only outstanding problem to me, and while the other mechanics are rough around the edges, they do their job well. Power was designed to either be copious or be in short supply, and defenses show that more than anything.

Removing marauders will not "fix" the gamemode, and emitters won't "save" it. Someone will always be dissatisfied about something, and I hope you're better in knowing that than Joan.
I might want to add removing conversion too but it's a step in the right direction
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #355798

If you can make the mode generally more fun for the majority of people, then you're welcome to it. I just lack the motivation to keep working on this when I already feel that it's enjoyed by enough people to call it a success. Having a solid base to work off of (i.e. clear ideas and a design focus) helps a great deal but ultimately I think that the mode is strong enough to stay afloat with or without my continued work on it.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #355802

It's fun because it plays exactly like blood cult back when making a base on the white shuttle was the meta.
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #355910

Xhuis wrote:I think that the mode is strong enough to stay afloat with or without my continued work on it.
probably true, it's no longer "clock cult needs to be removed" and "clock cult needs [xyz]" which is a great step
Limey wrote:its too late.
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #358083

Not sure if they're supposed to but BoH bombs still work in Reebe
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #358163

Definitely intended.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #358211

So the most efficient way to cuck the cuck cult is to just loose a bunch of singulos?
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #358212

DemonFiren wrote:So the most efficient way to cuck the cuck cult is to just loose a bunch of singulos?
if the station is able to spam out bags of holding after 40 minutes of retarded conversion sabotage garbage then yeah they should be able to boh bomb it
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #358224

Armhulen wrote:
DemonFiren wrote:So the most efficient way to cuck the cuck cult is to just loose a bunch of singulos?
if the station is able to spam out bags of holding after 40 minutes of retarded conversion sabotage garbage then yeah they should be able to boh bomb it
The science department is still way too much of a hard counter in my opinion, I also dont know how this is going to change with decentralized RnD. Right now the clock cult has to basically dominate Engineering and Science or lose, no if ands or buts, and that leads to a kind of boring meta.
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #358239

The main issue at the moment is more healing virus hulks who regenerate 20 damage per tick while under the gaze of two ocular wardens, but hopefully the ongoing viro PRs work on the healing aspect of that.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #358385

That's one thing I'm looking at in what I'm hoping to make after the freeze. People have raised a lot of concern about basebuilding being a very weak part of the mode; I agree, so I'm looking to improve it. For starters, one of the servants (or a ghost, if the vote for that passes) can elect themselves as the Eminence, who leads the cult and functions like an overmind. They can issue commands through specialized markers, and coordinate what the cult does. To become Eminence, you have to nominate yourself; after 30 seconds, if no one objects, you will be vaporised and become the Eminence.

That's my idea, at least. I'd also like to add other defense options, like those emitters, but I'm a bit starved for ideas.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #358388

I'm telling you, the mode should be more about the clockcucks building a dangerous labyrinth the crew has to wander through than building a ton of walls between them and the crew spawn. It'd solve every issue the mode currently has.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #358396

Them building a mass of walls is a creativity problem on the part of the players. I've seen a lot of death labyrinths, though the hulk/mech issue greatly discourages it. The Eminence can superheat a limited number of walls that hulk and mech-proofs them, so that plus other stuff I'm making should make it much more doable.
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #358401

I personally like the idea of a designating a ghost to building stuff. I suppose the scarabs are already up to that.

I struggle with bothering to stick around to build when I could be out trying to convert, build power, and hinder the crew.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #358419

There's very little incentive to build mazes when there's 1) limited time to convert and build at once 2) resources limited by time spent not building but doing things elsewhere 3) mechs/hulks that invalidate maze construction in the first place
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #358512

You're enormously limited in clever design when it's required you build in such a way to counter hulks/mechs smashing a line through everything. Rendering a few walls unbreakable would just mean the hulks smash around them.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #358545

It's not just a couple, at any rate; the number is currently 12, and you can superheat and cool down walls instantly with no delay, so a quick-thinking Eminence could funnel people on the fly by superheating walls as needed. That can also be used to do clever things like funnel into a killzone since people would be hurrying and not caring about going through the superheated walls, or having the only non-superheated area be a giant cube of clockwork walls interspaced with defensive lines.

I am looking to add other defenses, at any rate, so hulks won't be a ggnore.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #359602

The patch is now live on GitHub, and you can view the full changes there.
I'm welcome to hear any thoughts on it, as well as ideas for traps since I'd be fine with adding more if I had sprites and concepts.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #360188

Tower defense, Not-Cat-Slime!

Require that there be a clear path, while making clockwork walls much tougher against all forms of aggression (but not invulnerable to anything, including mechs or hulks). Thinks like the spike trap, smokescreen and the wardens are a good start. You can then herd the crew through one or more lanes while the Steampunks operate the 'towers' directly for maximum effect.
Y0SH1M4S73R
Byond Username: Y0SH1_M4S73R
Github Username: Y0SH1M4S73R

Post by Y0SH1M4S73R » #362663

I've recently come to the realization that there is an overwhelming imbalance in clock cult. That is, warcult seems to always win and non-warcult seems to always lose. It feels like warcult needs severe nerfs and non-warcult needs significant buffs in order for there to be a semblance of reasonable balance.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #362681

I seem to have a curse in that when I log on to observe or watch a testmerge of a round of clockcult, the cult is always severely incompetent and dies really early on regardless of whether or not they declare war. War cult receives comparatively few buffs, such as less power requirement on scripture, and some slightly empowered objects. If I had to guess, this comes rather from the cults who do declare war knowing what to do and how to do it well than any mechanical benefits. I could also just be out of touch, though.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #362683

War declaration seems like a no brainer since the mode is likely going to be figured out within ten minutes anyway
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #362697

Not declaring war gives the servants the extra subtlety factor; claims of a clockwork cult might not even be accepted - the stealth factor means that unless someone is sloppy and leaves material evidence like a slab or sigil somewhere, people might be suspicious and even true claims might not get anywhere. Declaring war gives the crew the entire shift to arm up and prepare to combat, while not declaring war means that they might spend any amount of time unaware of it.
LifeReign
Byond Username: LifeReign

Post by LifeReign » #362884

No Xhuis.

Not declaring war means getting caught within 5 minutes regardless. Declaring war means you get to fuck the station over by burning/bombing the crew and win well before 30 minutes have gone by. Clock cult does best when it abuses its teleportation power to wreck havoc on the station instead of actually building defenses.
Bagil- Eats-Shoots-and-Leaves: Probably the botanist
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #363029

I guess you're a pariah of game design, then. My mistake.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #363093

Xhuis wrote:I guess you're a pariah of game design, then. My mistake.
but he's right, a feedback thread is made exactly for those posts and you should at least not dismiss him on it
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #363101

He is right.

The meta has settled and the meta is this: Why spend several minutes using overt cult magic to convert a single crew member, who due to the innate un-robustness of CC magic, probably won't do jack shit, when you can just teleport anywhere and with a few clicks deliver grievous harm to the station's systems.

This is a direct result of the CC having a very high skill floor. The average clock cultist is useless and I am reluctant to convert anyone who isn't a robust static-namer. It's a pretty ugly meta. CC has specialized as a bunch of teleporting saboteurs and conversion is often just a side-effect of needing people out of your way so you can continue to flood plasma or whatever.
LifeReign

Post by LifeReign » #364868

Clock cult is usually decided long before the ark activates, and people are just stuck doing nothing for long periods of time until the round ends. The entire station could be converted 10 minutes in, and everybody would be stuck doing nothing fun for 40 minutes. Wow this is awful.

Edit: and also apparently the Eminence is a ghost that lets the clock cult see everything in places that have cut/no cameras? So now you can't even deny vision to the clock cult? Can it also hear chat, allowing the clock cult to invisibly spy on any conversation in the station?
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #364883

The Eminence can't understand anything that's said off of Reebe that a non-servant says unless they activate war. While from your demeanor I don't expect anything besides a Repukan-brand "just kill off the mode", if you have any solutions for the mode's issues, I'll take them into account. I'm currently taking a mini-break in response to all the havoc going on lately, and I'd like some time for the new defenses and Eminence to settle in.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #364948

It's a glorified single player mode. First when there's no security every time so cult just does what it wants, then the invasion begins and other side is trying to get through pve defenses, there's some pvp melee (after an hour of breaking through the walls) because ss13 combat engine is so amazing, and there it ends.

Form over substance.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Arianya
In-Game Game Master

Post by Arianya » #364996

Lumbermancer wrote:It's a glorified single player mode. First when there's no security every time so cult just does what it wants, then the invasion begins and other side is trying to get through pve defenses, there's some pvp melee (after an hour of breaking through the walls) because ss13 combat engine is so amazing, and there it ends.

Form over substance.
I'm sorry but this is the world's oddest feedback ever.
First when there's no security every time so cult just does what it wants
As opposed to every other mode where antagonists behave themselves timidly if theres no security force? If there being no sec is an issue, its not intrinsic to clockcult.
then the invasion begins and other side is trying to get through pve defenses, there's some pvp melee (after an hour of breaking through the walls) because ss13 combat engine is so amazing
So you don't like the PvE combat or the PvP combat? What exactly are you looking for in your average round then? I can't think of a single mode of ours that isn't resolved by combat other then extended, so I'm not sure what you consider "substance" in your SS13 rounds.
and there it ends.
I mean I guess the crew could be ported back to the station and carry on after unequivocally killing the round antagonist but... whats the point? If the cult hasn't smashed up half the station in the process then you're now just basically playing extended.

Overall your feedback doesn't really make sense tbh.

Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #365001

Arianya wrote:I'm sorry but this is the world's oddest feedback ever.
Well I can double down.

The opponent of the clock cult are their mechanics that they have to execute. Station can't do anything because clock cult is on a different part of existence. And when they do organize well enough to do anything, it's already too late and countdown begins.

Basically this mode works only under specific circumstances, population count and jobs present.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #365013

Though I can understand the concerns, any mode with fixed antagonists (i.e. nuke ops and this) has that issue. Nuke ops can nuke the station in ten minutes if there's no captain or HoP, and similarly, they can accomplish it with no difficulty if there's no security force. Blob had the issue, wizards do, and now CC does. It comes with the design of SS13, not just the mode itself. Player minimums and antagonist age were chosen to minimize that, but there will always be good and bad rounds depending on who's playing what job, and if people want to play a swarm of assistants and leave security unstaffed, there's nothing to be done balance-wise about that that would also cripple them if there was security.
LifeReign

Post by LifeReign » #365035

If nuke ops win 10 minutes in, the round usually ends 10 minutes in. Blobs are generally 100% fightable. Clock cult has the horrible combination of blocking shuttle calls, being untouchable unless they're in the process of fucking with you, being a conversion antag and therefore a snowballing antag, and fixing the round length at 50 minutes, which is often too short to get anything done while they fuck you with their teleports, and too long for those who can't participate in the round. If blood cult wantonly destroys the station, the shuttle might be called and completed before they can summon, or they might gib their target. If rev destroys the station, they break their own tools and their own living spaces that they need. Clock cult can destroy the station entirely, then pick off stragglers as spaceproof golems with marauders, while keeping cultists who aren't spaceworthy on Reebe to build it up.

Again, the base building antag almost never reaches the point where the base building matters. This is a huge issue.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #365041

Xhuis wrote:Though I can understand the concerns, any mode with fixed antagonists (i.e. nuke ops and this) has that issue. Nuke ops can nuke the station in ten minutes if there's no captain or HoP, and similarly, they can accomplish it with no difficulty if there's no security force. Blob had the issue, wizards do, and now CC does. It comes with the design of SS13, not just the mode itself. Player minimums and antagonist age were chosen to minimize that, but there will always be good and bad rounds depending on who's playing what job, and if people want to play a swarm of assistants and leave security unstaffed, there's nothing to be done balance-wise about that that would also cripple them if there was security.
I agree. That's why I keep saying traitor is the best mode in the game. But the difference between cults, and other team modes like rev, or nuke, is that the latter are much more instant, violent and quick hence their flaws are diminished.

How to make clock better? I'm not sure. I've always thought involving everyone more just works. I know you autists love to write lore and make sprites, maybe create the mortal enemy god of ratvar (heck, it could even be narsie) who would come to the aid of the station after war is declared, in the capacity dictated by how many people ratvarians converted or something like that.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #365079

LifeReign wrote:snip
When basebuilding does come into play, it often plays a massive role in determining whether the cult wins or loses. The snowballing aspect is more similar to rev, because once the Ark starts, any stragglers as well as any factions that have managed to resist the influence will immediately see who is a servant or not, and ten minutes to storm the Ark is a long time. With the removal of mending mantra, infinite healing is much harder for the servants to manage, so long wars of attrition between a side with a numbers advantage and a side with a tactics advantage are untapped but certainly possible.

The fixed-ish round lengths are an issue, but I don't know of an elegant solution for them. Originally I let the shuttle come, but people were heavily in favor of removing that. I believe the round does end if all servants die.
Lumbermancer wrote:snip
Determining things at wartime wouldn't be practical due to that it needs to be declared within five minutes, but altering aspects of it would definitely be possible after X minutes. Nar-Sie is fluffwise the enemy of Ratvar, so allowing a small Nar-Sian cult to grow as a resistance force would be both interesting and memorable, but it would be something that would have to be balanced and tested very delicately.
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #365304

How about outside of war there is no fixed round length and the shuttle can leave, have cultists be required to steal x amount of energy for the ark to start. that would give non-war rounds a varied length and it would give a minimum amount of energy that the cultists MUST have used/saved to base build.

It discourages just blowing up the entire station as they have to use it to harvest power. If you give the cultists a choice of when to activate the ark after the hit the minimum it can give them the choice of do they activate the ark now or do they wait and collect more energy and risk being caught.

It make stealth more of a focus yes, but that should be what you should be going for outside of a wardec.
Arianya
In-Game Game Master

Post by Arianya » #365498

I don't really like having any mode type that is solely and entirely countered by calling a shuttle on red alert. Encouraging stealth is good but punishing getting caught (and thus incentivizing meta-gaming like stunning and searching anyone you see messing with an APC) is always a fast track to the round type just being "is it 20 minutes yet", which isn't fun for the antagonist or the crew who have their round ended after doing 20 minutes of work.

Doubly bad since the clocks don't have any real means to counter the shuttle call unless they got lucky and converted a head early on, an action that is non-stealthy by definition.

@Xhuis: In terms of giving the crew something more concrete to do to fight clockcult, is it possibly worth making it so that the clock cult can't teleport to blessed tiles? Might help the crew section off "protected areas". Probably want to give them some way to remove that protection once on station though, to avoid "bless and forget" behaviour.

Might need to implement "holy glasses" or something so that people other then the chaplain/clockcult can see what tiles are blessed.

Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #365573

The shuttle is always a dilemma for me. It's very binary as it is right now - either it does nothing or it ends the round. I'd like to make it matter somehow, but I don't know how that could be. I was thinking about maybe causing it to crash into the bottom spawn rooms on Reebe instead of arriving at Central normally, and starting the Ark prematurely with five minutes left.

Disallowing warps on blessed tiles is a good idea, I'll see about implementing it when I have the drive to code.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #365592

The eminence should be able to die considering it's a ghost role that works as both a commanding unit and a dedicated scouting unit. That or at least be sent back to reebe with a cooldown of returning to the station.

It's like all the benefits of an AI and pAI without either of their downsides. You can best bet if I spot a CC I am going to not bother deconverting because I have no idea if EPIC HARM ALARM is informing the boys. They're just going to get the boot.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #365616

Xhuis wrote:The shuttle is always a dilemma for me. It's very binary as it is right now - either it does nothing or it ends the round. I'd like to make it matter somehow, but I don't know how that could be. I was thinking about maybe causing it to crash into the bottom spawn rooms on Reebe instead of arriving at Central normally, and starting the Ark prematurely with five minutes left.

Disallowing warps on blessed tiles is a good idea, I'll see about implementing it when I have the drive to code.
You can always bring back the shuttle delay machine, It would mean that the shuttle could be delayed with the trade off being less energy for defense building.

The shuttle NEEDS to be a thing to prevent the clock cult from just blowing giant holes in the station as the go-to strat for winning.

Consider making leaving on the shuttle a neutral victory, Nanotrasen didnt stop the cult and they get to try another day but the cult couldnt summon Ratvar for whatever fluff reason.
Arianya
In-Game Game Master

Post by Arianya » #365823

Dr_bee wrote:
Xhuis wrote:The shuttle is always a dilemma for me. It's very binary as it is right now - either it does nothing or it ends the round. I'd like to make it matter somehow, but I don't know how that could be. I was thinking about maybe causing it to crash into the bottom spawn rooms on Reebe instead of arriving at Central normally, and starting the Ark prematurely with five minutes left.

You can always bring back the shuttle delay machine, It would mean that the shuttle could be delayed with the trade off being less energy for defense building.

The shuttle NEEDS to be a thing to prevent the clock cult from just blowing giant holes in the station as the go-to strat for winning.

Consider making leaving on the shuttle a neutral victory, Nanotrasen didnt stop the cult and they get to try another day but the cult couldnt summon Ratvar for whatever fluff reason.
Neutral victories have never really been neutral victories. See nuke ops where its a "neutral victory" if the crew evacuate on the shuttle after losing the disk. It doesn't really feel like anything other then the antagonist having been beaten by a timer rather then the crew.

I don't necessarily see the issue with clockcult blowing holes in the station, if they gain the means? Its not like they start off with access to toxins, and if they stealth well enough that they convert/can get bombs on the sly then why should they be disallowed its use?

Its not like they're incapable of blowing the bridge if the shuttle is the game decider.

Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #366419

Cobby wrote:The eminence should be able to die considering it's a ghost role that works as both a commanding unit and a dedicated scouting unit. That or at least be sent back to reebe with a cooldown of returning to the station.

It's like all the benefits of an AI and pAI without either of their downsides. You can best bet if I spot a CC I am going to not bother deconverting because I have no idea if EPIC HARM ALARM is informing the boys. They're just going to get the boot.
AI is massively more powerful than an Eminence. It has control of every machine on the station. The Eminence is the designated leader role for the cult, and their primary focus is coordination and planning; that's why they can't understand conversations on the station and can't do anything with any objects except activate traps and issue commands.

If you're not going to bother deconverting, that makes you silly. Servants' toolkit is designed around defending fortifications, not storming existing ones. If you're in the brig behind fortified windows and walls, with officers there to back you up, a direct assault from the servants is almost guaranteed to fail unless nobody can aim. Keep in mind the areas that servants can't teleport to, and use that to your advantage by fortifying a room or two against incursion. If all else fails, the chapel itself is immune to any kind of teleportation, and provides an effective but accessible base of operations!
Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #366507

Could you throw out a quick PR that lets cultist corpses cross the "barrier" on Reebe once portals open?

There's a growing trend of just having marauders on ambulance duty because cultists corpses can never be "secured", so the marauders sweep in snag a body, rez it, rinse and repeat until the crew attrition breaks them while the cultists are still in mint condition.
Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #366738

Had a few rounds today, got to witness how disgusting marauder shields are now that cultists are routinely spawning them on station.

Jesus christ 3 100% blocks that recharge every 10 seconds what a meme.

Overall I think the last update was an improvement but the focus still needs to try and be nudged toward conversion instead of mass sabotage. Some of the traps will probably need another balance pass.

You probably need to think of how to deal with really low effort stuff like cultists teleporting into the server room or toxins and fucking up an entire department in a few clicks.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #366741

Oldman Robustin wrote:the focus still needs to try and be nudged toward conversion
i'm really unhappy with this post!
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #366960

I'm making another balance pass soon, so I'll make some changes. Securing cultist corpses is a good idea, though I'm not sure how best to tweak them.
Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #366987

I already made the PR out of impatience.

Dead cultists can cross the servant-blocker once the portals open.

Just too many rounds watching the same dude get rez'd 5 times because crew couldn't secure the body and 3-hit-immunity-every-10-seconds marauders would fish the corpse out with minimal risk.