How often do you actually use the cargo desk?

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

How often do you actually use the cargo desk?

Post by cedarbridge » #344417

This is explicitly for non-cargonians. How often do you actually go to cargo and order things or send orders to cargo to send things to your department? Eventually cargo starts up the cargonia express ordering guns and dumb gimmick toys for themselves, but I remember this usually happening because nobody was really bothered with making or sending order requests. This might also be because A is just expected to follow B in some cases and players skip making orders because they presume the QM isn't going to care or worry about filling orders while he's busy buying is 20th personal cow.

So how often do you order things at cargo?
Do you have to do anything special to get the department's attention in getting your orders handled?
Do you get your orders shipped to your department (if you have one) or do you pick them up at the desk?
TribeOfBeavers
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TribeOfBeavers

Re: How often do you actually use the cargo desk?

Post by TribeOfBeavers » #344431

I use it to order singulo parts, the experimental thing/combat shotguns for RnD, and station objectives. Also implants if there are revs. I almost always pick them up myself.

Most of the stuff you can order is for restocking, and rounds don't go on long enough for that to be necessary.

It'd be nice if cargo got more unique stuff you could order for other departments.
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #344434

Never, i can't stand waiting up to 4 minutes for the trip, plus i have to pick the crate up myself, provided that someone ordered it and there was enough money to do so. And after that you have to beg your way into cargo to get the bloody crate. And since what i usually want is combat shotguns for science there's the whole "find someone with the right id who will also be agreeable to opening the crate". Too much time for stuff that isn't really that good.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #344447

Only time I ever order anything from cargo period is combat shotguns during blob or implants during rev, and I just seize cargo for those activities.

There is almost zero desire among our players to have to rely on others, so a department that exists solely to resupply others will naturally become irrelevant.
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #344456

Very rarely. Like, there was a recent round when I was playing as Explody the Maxcap Clown, and after seeing my name RD lost his shits and his all the tank transfer valves. So I had to go to cargo and order new TTVs for myself. There was a new guy behind the desk, who didn't even know what those things are, or why would a clown want them, so I actually got what I asked for.
Bring back papercult.

CitrusGender
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: CitrusGender
Github Username: CitrusGender

Post by CitrusGender » #344463

I use the desk for whenever I need holy water due to the chaplain being incompetent or not around. This is rarely though, but it happens sometimes. Other than that, I'll rarely ever use cargo unless it's box and I need to use the autholate.

As for getting attention and delivery, I'll ussually pick it up myself and just send a ";CARGO TO DESK" message to get cargo to wake up. 75% of the time there is someone sitting near the front desk so it's not ussually a problem. I don't really like the mule carts so I just think it's easier to get my shit myself.
RandomMarine
Github User
Byond Username: RandomMarine
Github Username: RandomMarine

Post by RandomMarine » #344472

TribeOfBeavers wrote:It'd be nice if cargo got more unique stuff you could order for other departments.
When power tools were being added I suggested giving them to cargo for this reason.
But nope, into R&D they went.

As for the subject, I once put in an order as a drone (As was ruled allowed with the console) for a singulo gen+PA.

It never arrived for whatever reason and the 20+ minutes spent building containment from scratch went to waste. Either they declined or something killed them, or both.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #344476

A lot of things that aren't a means of upgrading something on the station should probably be on a cargo purchase list. This would open a space in science for upgrading/improving items instead of just printing objectively better versions of items that cargo orders.
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #344491

RnD stuff needs to be dangerous and prototypey things like the Bag of Holding and the Tesla Revolver. Alot of the stuff like power tools, sec and med huds and other basic equipment really should be given to cargo.

RnD does not need to be the only source of improvement on the station, it is partially why the science department is as overpowered as it is. Spread the love around.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #344501

People forget you can use the mailroom for delivery.

Wrap something up in package paper and use the package gun thing-y to set a location, tag it and send it on its way via disposals.
calzilla1
Byond Username: Calzilla1

Post by calzilla1 » #344555

Make crates deconstructable. Boom, fixed cargos main problem
Life is too short for anything meaningful and too long for anything memeingful
Super Aggro Crag wrote: The best shitpost youll ever be responsible for will be your obituary.
Quality debate brought to you by ColonicAcid wrote:imagine having this little empathy

do you have autism bud? does your brain not see these people as humans? are they just a faceless statistic to you?
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #344612

calzilla1 wrote:Make crates deconstructable. Boom, fixed cargos main problem
They are though. Open them up and cut them apart with a welder.
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #344622

I stopped ordering stuff from cargo after the third time (in different rounds and with different players) that my order was sent back to centcomm without being unloaded from the shuttle.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #344624

that kinda shit makes me wanna play quartermaster again
cargo techs this dumb need a sound slapping
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
calzilla1
Byond Username: Calzilla1

Post by calzilla1 » #344645

DemonFiren wrote:that kinda shit makes me wanna play quartermaster again
cargo techs this dumb need a sound slapping
You don't even play to begin with
Life is too short for anything meaningful and too long for anything memeingful
Super Aggro Crag wrote: The best shitpost youll ever be responsible for will be your obituary.
Quality debate brought to you by ColonicAcid wrote:imagine having this little empathy

do you have autism bud? does your brain not see these people as humans? are they just a faceless statistic to you?
Lazengann
Byond Username: Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #344647

Only ever to order bee crates
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #346197

I used it with a head-stamped request form to ensure that cargo will approve it
Gigapuddi420
Byond Username: Gigapuddi420

Post by Gigapuddi420 » #346899

cedarbridge wrote:So how often do you order things at cargo?
Do you have to do anything special to get the department's attention in getting your orders handled?
Do you get your orders shipped to your department (if you have one) or do you pick them up at the desk?
I don't.

If I'm assistant I will petty theft or ghetto solution anything I want. If I'm working Engineering at most I'll come to cargo for Station Objectives should someone need the meteor shield set up. I see Chief Engineers get a lot of use out of cargo though. Protactive players with something in mind can make good use of it too. Cargo is a place I feel I don't utilize enough but just isn't really part of how I do things.
Imperfect catgirl playing a imperfect game.
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #346915

the playerbase wrote:If I'm assistant I will petty theft or ghetto solution anything I want.
Kor wrote:There is almost zero desire among our players to have to rely on others, so a department that exists solely to resupply others will naturally become irrelevant.
it hurts because it's true
Limey wrote:its too late.