Smoke machine needs a nerf/removal

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Smoke machine needs a nerf/removal

Post by Dax Dupont » #346042

This thing can cover the central hallway in skewium/memechems as fast as you can run.
The radius on the thing is insane since it can cover the entire meta escape shuttle without being moved in deathmix/lube/skewium/meth.

Not only that, the smoke blocks vision and sticks around for a good 10 seconds or so which results in people escaping and what not. Since it easily covers everything it becomes a disaster.

This should arguably be nerfed and not be available on round start in chemistry. It should ideally be locked behind high research/techweb.
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Re: Smoke machine needs a nerf/removal

Post by Dax Dupont » #346061

Also re: logs and notifications
Notify admins when someone activates a smoke machine #31582
https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/31582
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #346091

shall we try again?
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #346100

Ok from the top:

4) 2 puffs from the machine got everyone tripping for about 30 seconds unless they had on internals or a gas mask, and there was plenty of warning for either.

5) I found a bug this morning that would let me move the machine while its on, I promptly fixed it and the PR is waiting for merge - letting you move the machine while its on is a bug and greatly increases its power, nevertheless this device has performed admirably and if the OP kneejerked any harder they'd have a broken nose.

Mod edit:I've snipped out all the things in your post that are not about the balance of the smoke machine, take it to fucking FNR
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #346107

By the way you've addressed very few of their actual points
The radius on the thing is insane since it can cover the entire meta escape shuttle without being moved in deathmix/lube/skewium/meth.

Not only that, the smoke blocks vision and sticks around for a good 10 seconds or so which results in people escaping and what not. Since it easily covers everything it becomes a disaster.
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #346143

thot_slayer wrote:By the way you've addressed very few of their actual points

Wouldnt dragging a damn machine onto the shuttle be treated the same as anyone dragging a canister onto the shuttle? I.e. cause for immediate robusting? once the playerbase can recognize the moving of a smoke machine as a threat like the movement of a canister then the problem will solve itself via players busting the machine or the machine user.

Give it some time folks. Its been what, a few days since it was added?
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #346144

Dr_bee wrote:

Wouldnt dragging a damn machine onto the shuttle be treated the same as anyone dragging a canister onto the shuttle? I.e. cause for immediate robusting? once the playerbase can recognize the moving of a smoke machine as a threat like the movement of a canister then the problem will solve itself via players busting the machine or the machine user.

Give it some time folks. Its been what, a few days since it was added?
This. Doing anything would be extremely premature.
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #346147

The entire feature feels fairly redundant considering it's an easier smoke grenade but I suppose it will at least be balanced out more if it can't be moved. The radius and the fact that you just can not do anything within the smoke cloud due to obscured vision is still kind of insane.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #346148

You can still act using altclick but it's quite hard
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #346157

I guess I did not pay close enough attention to the PR, but I was under the impression you would have to build the machine on site as a balancing measure.

Even with the proposed change/fix it looks like you can drag it around, wrench it down, and turn it on wherever you please.
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #346158

Kor wrote:I guess I did not pay close enough attention to the PR, but I was under the impression you would have to build the machine on site as a balancing measure.

Even with the proposed change/fix it looks like you can drag it around, wrench it down, and turn it on wherever you please.
Assumed proposed fix was the former, if it's still wrenchable that's pretty broken
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #346203

Because those points are literally "WHY I DONT LIKE SMOKE".

The machine has to be anchored, it has to be powered, and if at any point anyone is suspicious of you hauling the giant blue smoke maker onto a confined space like the shuttle, they can walk up to it and with the click of a single button permanently destroy all the chemicals inside. The fact that the OP did just that and nearly killed me for following the captain's orders and getting people high for 30 seconds shows how stupid this argument is.

In the time it takes to construct one of these I couldve made a handful of smoke grenades full of whatever fucking mix and pounded the shuttle.

This device exists for convenience, not for robustness, the arguments against it are so contrived its actually hurting my head since I have yet to see this device actually seriously hurt or kill anyone.

You know what else is a dangerous smoke effect that lasts the ENTIRE SHUTTLE RIDE and requires internals to survive? The same fucking plasma thats readily available to medical/cargo/science/engineering every single round. I can also fit plasma in my bag or put it in a canister that can be recolored in the click of a button. A smoke machine is a smoke machine and can instantly have its entire contents purged by ANYONE NEARBY.

Ring me up with this machine actually racks up a goddamn bodycount and people here aren't just using "feedback" as "doomsday hypothesis to justify why I want something removed".

In other news im revamping the machine a little, new sprite, transparent smoke, but im putting the fucker in chemistry because I did not code this fucking thing just to have it end up being more accessible to scientists than chemists. I just can't wrap my mind around why the fuck this thing is getting so much speculative judgment. It's in the fucking game assholes go use it and if you think its OP, go show me why instead of playing forum warrior.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #346241

Hey robustin welcome to adding goofchem
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #346246

show me why
ok
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #346274

Togopal wrote:>load smoke machine with plasmaman mutation toxins
If you can generate enough of that toxin to make the smoke machine last a decent amount of time you deserve the kills you rack up.

Also transparent smoke would be a good addition to the game in general, opaque smoke should be its own separate reaction or chemical additive.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #346281

I get the feeling all the arguments against the smoke machine also apply to regular grenades.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Hathkar
Byond Username: Hathkar

Post by Hathkar » #346341

The last round I was traitor and had romerol, I was planning on grabbing the smoke machine and loading it up with romerol. So yes, it's a bit too potent to just turn on and drag around right now.