Decentralization of mob control

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
JJRcop
Byond Username: JJRcop
Github Username: JJRcop

Decentralization of mob control

Post by JJRcop » #347372

I have been thinking about this for a few days, and I may start working on this in the next few weeks. Before I create some monster that is going to be denied for bad implementation, I wanted to write down my theory for how this will work and bounce it off everyone. Here goes:

Theory
Players don't directly inhabit their mob, they inhabit a /mob/controller, simply to contain them, and that mob references the mind datum.
Movement procs of that are passed to the mind instead which passes it to mind.current, the key is also passed, because:
The mind can have multiple controllers, aka multiple players, and it has a list referencing all of them.

Controllers have some kind of state designating them as:
- full control
- view and speak
- view only, can't speak
- view only, can't think
- maybe other states
I say think, as controllers have a special (radio?) code where they can talk just to their mind, and only other controllers in the same mind can see this.

UI is not completely synced between the controllers, so each controller could move their action buttons around as they wish and have whatever skin they want, but it is synced where appropriate.
Minds would have procs to find out if any controllers are connected, or if there are any controllers connected with a specified state or states. These procs are used instead of checking for client because the clients are in the controllers.
Actions and speaking would be logged with the key of the controller that performed the action, as there is no central key you can reference per mob.

With all of this in place, multiple players could control the same mob at the same time.
I lurk quite often...
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Re: Decentralization of mob control

Post by D&B » #347380

Like Pacific Rim?
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
TribeOfBeavers
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TribeOfBeavers

Post by TribeOfBeavers » #347382

It'b be pretty funny to have all the ghosts in the round trying to control one character.
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #347386

/tg/ plays singulo
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #347693

Deadchat plays Clown
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #347698

Since this is a refactor it might be more appropriate in the coding board

Cool idea though
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #347721

i'd suggest first making movements passed to mind then doing more complex stuff as this. it'd make more sense anyways because you know your brain controls your body :P
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #348197

All this work for a meme
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #348218

doesn't the brain damage rework pr include one of those super rare cases where you have two personalities, so it grabs a ghost and you both swap control? I'm not sure about the specifics of how that works but you may want to look into it
Limey wrote:its too late.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #348590

This'll make that even easier to do lol