Rnd techwebs

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Selea
Byond Username: Serpentarium

Re: Rnd techwebs

Post by Selea » #382662

Bottom post of the previous page:

Need to say, that I haven't seen any engineer building machine with their omni circuit printer.
Give CP back to RnD, or make mechanic job to fuck with upgrades/ building of machines.
Or add IT dept between engi and science and give omniCP to them.because mechanic could be part of it
factoryman942
Byond Username: Factoryman942

Post by factoryman942 » #386222

okay so i just copied out the techwebby stuff for circuits
here's a spoiler for machines which should probably be for different departments
of course i might be wrong and the design categories might imbue some restriction or some weird shit
Spoiler:
plant dna manip, food processor, seed extractor, gibber, microwave, hydroponics tray, biogenerator - currently for all, make service only

Sec cam console, sec records, prisoner management, weapon charger - make sec only

tesla coil. grounding rod, recycler(?), emitter, turbine/turbine console/power compressor, SMES (maybe), tcomms monitoring/tcomms server monitoring/messaging monitor, solar control, power monitor, atmos monitor/alert, ai/borg upload, comms - make engi only, or engi/sci for some of them

limb grower, med records, operating computer - med only

robo control - sci only

ORM, mining rewards - currently sci only, make sci/cargo
probably more, but those are the ones 2am me can see
also messaging monitor console has no origin tech
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #386258

Engineering is meant to be able to print all circuits and stock parts.
I'll try to assign departments to everything still, though, but Engi still can use everything.
Selea

Post by Selea » #386289

They can. But they don't.
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #386365

RND didn't build machines either unless it was for RND.

Building machines is pretty obtuse and plus engineering doesnt get mineral deliveries so it never gets the Bluespace RPED or advanced parts built.

Most machines simply aren't worth the hassle of building, the station starts with every machine it needs and aside from cloning and maybe chem dispensers (which engineering cannot even properly replace), there are virtually no machines that would justify someone stopping what they're doing to come build for you. Like the time it would take me to go to my protolathe, look up the board you want (they often have stupid unintuitive names), print the board, print the parts, print an RPED, get the metal, get the glass, head to your location, build the frame, secure it, stock it, complete it...

Thats probably 5 minutes of my time realistically, what am I producing for you that's worth 5 minutes of someone's time? That's not even accounting for the premium that most people place on THEIR time versus the time of some stranger who is probably going to die, kill you, or otherwise forget about what you've done within an hour.
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #386468

God damn with a thought process like that it baffles me to wonder how science managed to make so many machines do the station on decent, longer rounds, when they weren't gutted.

Extra clone pods, backup clones, more Chen dispensers, sleepers, gosh, it's almost like there's some kind of incentive to it to be upgrading medbay. Or even just build a second one.

But engineering building improvements to the station? Heresy!

Oh man if science weren't gutted though I'm sure they'd keep doing it again.
SpaceInaba
Byond Username: SpaceInaba

Post by SpaceInaba » #386472

year 2018
the silly fools havent realised sceince can still print guns
the reckoning is coming, and it's coming in the form of 15 eguns in a backpack
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
fuck,
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #386474

Almost seems like other departments have no incentive to use the lathes, while sapping science of incentives to do research because they can't do shit with half of it
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #386530

you are the last person we are going to take advice from lol
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #386770

oranges wrote:you are the last person we are going to take advice from lol
be nice to yakumo.....
In all seriousness maybe we should give science more to do other than toxins circuits and xenobio and the occasional mech, and make it actually scientific. The most scientific thing is toxins right now and I guess circuitry but half of circuitry is just copypasta.
Selea

Post by Selea » #386893

but other half is iventing these copypasta.
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #387081

yes done by a few people with the knowledge to, with the rest of the players just copying.

also i've seen complaints of round times being too short to do techwebs
my response is:
It was originally 90 minutes to max without any kinds of boosts
Then it got buffed to 60 minutes to max without any kinds of boosts
Now about 3 methods of boosts have been added other than toxins (correct me if wrong) and t3/4 parts get nerfed and now it's 65 minutes to max without any kinds of boosts and we're complaining?
If you want your powergame, go make round times longer. Dont' call the shuttle because you're lazy to fix shit. We don't need 80% of powergame unlocked before the 40 minute mark because the round average time is 50 minutes.
Make round times longer. It's a player problem, not a techwebs problem.
Selea

Post by Selea » #387116

Techweb problems now:
1.Resource distribution.
2.engis ain't gonna do a shit.so give omniimprinter to someone,who will.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #387291

The idea that you focus on r&d as your job for the round like it’s old r&d is a big issue
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Shezza
Byond Username: Wilchen

Post by Shezza » #387517

The intent is to provide players with a sense of pride and accomplishment for afking in a security locker for 50 minutes unlocking different techwebs while you erp on citadel.
Thanks for all the dopamine.

You (cough), you haven't won here. You and your mutie-bastard friends are gonna join me in a big ol' mushroom cloud sendoff. I just triggered the self-destruct. (Heh, heh; cough, cough,...) The work will go on. You didn't do nothing here, 'cept seal your own death warrants. Duty, (cough) honor... courage... Semper Fiiiii........
Selea

Post by Selea » #387735

make destructive analyzer to accept cores from xenobio.To produce points.Same for rare botany plants
EagleWiz
Byond Username: EagleWiz

Post by EagleWiz » #388069

I keep seeing people say that they will use this to make all sorts of cool new stuff to play around with, but then those people run off to try to design some totally unrelated half functional buggy things that no one asked for.

On a separate note sometimes science promises to research mining equipment but then forgets to do that and spends the round making useless circuit machines.