Disk in the vault safe

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Disk in the vault safe

Post by leibniz » #367516

The vault safe can't be emagged or bombed open, or even moved, so the crew likes to put the disk there.

Grabbing a stethoscope and fiddling for 10 minutes (if there is a single person in the nuke team who gives a fuck about that at all) does not really fit the mood of the round.

The disk should respawn if someone puts it in the safe, or nuke ops should have some way of forcing it open.
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
SpaceInaba
Byond Username: SpaceInaba

Re: Disk in the vault safe

Post by SpaceInaba » #367518

THE THERMAL DRILL
GO GET IT
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
fuck,
TribeOfBeavers
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TribeOfBeavers

Post by TribeOfBeavers » #367520

It should probably just be destructable, like most other things on the station. Wacking it with an esword enough/bombing it would break it open and let them grab the disk. Still useful for a bit of extra protection but isn't as annoying as it is right now.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #367524

Is it literally the only object that can't be destroyed by explosions?
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #367528

c4 should surely crack it open that makes so much sense
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Iatots
Byond Username: Iatots
Github Username: Iatots

Post by Iatots » #367530

I think you can c4 it and have the disk be respawned around the station. Though in that case it becomes a gearcheck + random teleport in favour of the crew. I hope it's not becoming some sort of meta lately.
Hathkar
Byond Username: Hathkar

Post by Hathkar » #367533

I've been bored as a medical doctor, so I've been the one cracking the vault and having the disk put in it lately. Glad to see it's making some policy threads happen at least. But yeah, thermal drill is the best idea.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #367535

I like how we've gotten to a point where putting things in the safe to keep them safe has become a meta strategy, where before it was "guard the captain"
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Iatots

Post by Iatots » #367540

I mean, of course the safest container in the (RP wise) safest room would be a prime candidate for securing the disk, but in truth few people ever bothered with it because of a high barrier of entry (the cracking part). I don't know if hathkar has been cracking the safe roundstart lately or if he only went for it during confirmed nuke ops rounds, but it seems that as a direct consequence of his actions the general response of the crew to the gamemode has shifted. I don't think strategies for gamemodes are inherently meta, but forgoing most in favour of a specific one because recently its barrier of entry has been lowered or removed definitely is.

Hathkar isn't the first to crack the safe, it's been in a long time. Why has this tactic never seen widespread adoption before to the point of it becoming annoying?
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #367541

Honestly the stethoscope thing is fairly well known, it's been on the wiki for ages in a few spots.
A lot of things in the game that only recently cause outcry are because one person puts in the effort to abuse something that's been in for years, and everybody hops on the bandwagon.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #367550

SpaceInaba wrote:THE THERMAL DRILL
GO GET IT
this seems like a much more interesting solution than "lol just don't let people use the safe for what it was made for"

throw a thermal drill on the nuke ops shuttle or something and make it take a couple minutes to drill open the safe so the ops have to protect it
Limey wrote:its too late.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #367557

Forcing ops to sit in a single 5x5 room defending a payday reference is just gonna end in them being maxcapped or set on fire every round
leibniz

Post by leibniz » #367562

Qbopper wrote:
SpaceInaba wrote:THE THERMAL DRILL
GO GET IT
this seems like a much more interesting solution than "lol just don't let people use the safe for what it was made for"

throw a thermal drill on the nuke ops shuttle or something and make it take a couple minutes to drill open the safe so the ops have to protect it
But I am suggesting the opposite. I am saying that maybe the disk should resist going into the safe so the safe does NOT have to be nerfed and weakened just for one gamemode.
If the disk is treated separately then the safe can retain its current gimmicks.

Otherwise I'll spell out the problem more specifically: I'm 99% sure that the stethoscope is not available to the Nuke Ops so the only thing the crew has to do it space all of them from the station.
Okand37
Byond Username: Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #367564

Could just make a block of X4 or C4 blow open the safe if anyone is willing to code it.
Are you being the neighbour Mr. Rogers would've wanted you to be?
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #367585

I like having a spot that isn't countered by explosives. Virtually any creative disk spot is simply ignored and blown up by the ops. I like that the safe forces the Ops to do something besides blow shit up and forces them into a defensive posture.

NukeOp suits are hardened against explosives and elites are fireproof (or just blow a hole in the vault for easy space access + deterrent for crew without space protection).

Very few people are willing to bomb their own station to kill Ops but even then the Ops can simply screen the area or have an escape route (see: blow a hole in the vault). For better or worse the current LAGGY EXPLOSION code means that you can't just throw a TTV at the Ops and expect to even get a kill.

I also haven't seen anyone else do this method besides me, its very risky because if the shuttle is called (usually Red Alert) and you haven't defeated the Ops, there's a very real risk of you getting killed/KO'd/deterred from trying to open the safe and giving the Syndies a minor victory.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #367602

Someone has to get it out to win though so why not just wait until then?

You still win regardless as long as you don't all die.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
calzilla1
Byond Username: Calzilla1

Post by calzilla1 » #367637

I don't think I've ever seen anyone (but me) do that. Also when I did it I got lynched by the crew for whatever reason so it was a minor/neutral victory
Life is too short for anything meaningful and too long for anything memeingful
Super Aggro Crag wrote: The best shitpost youll ever be responsible for will be your obituary.
Quality debate brought to you by ColonicAcid wrote:imagine having this little empathy

do you have autism bud? does your brain not see these people as humans? are they just a faceless statistic to you?
Karp
Byond Username: Ambassador Magikarp

Post by Karp » #367650

lol

I blame myself for doing this a month ago a few times on war op rounds but uhh most people dont know how to access/lock it anyways which kinda sucks but it also generally screws over the station as well

if your fantasy scenario is so bad just make it so the nuke disk cant be stored in the safe rather than ruining the gimmick of the safe(Invincible storage you have to crack open)

In general if anyone genuinely listens to this i'd like to ask that you wait on nerfing the FOTM powergamer strategy as it may just fade away naturally due it it just being a seasonal fancy thing
Last edited by Karp on Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #367652

Also there's a couple secret techniques for cracking the safe without a stethoscope.

Think outside the box.
Hathkar

Post by Hathkar » #367668

Karp wrote: In general if anyone genuinely listens to this i'd like to ask that you wait on nerfing the FOTM powergamer strategy as it may just fade away naturally due it it just being a seasonal fancy thing
I don't see how sticking the disk in the safe after the Nuke ops declare war is powergamey, or riding a borg to outrun the ops. Anyway, just implement https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=14570 and both sides come out ahead. The safe is still a viable option, and so is just riding a borg around the station fleeing from the ops.
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #367679

> spend forever opening the safe and finally get it opened
> close it with disk inside
> haha yes
> haha thermal drill just lolnopes all that

Again you still win if no one opens the safe git gud or take the minor victory
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #367680

Put an alarm on the Safe that will activate and warn the crew of the safe being broken. Then allow people to either smash the Safe open with a large amount of firepower OR to use C4 to crack it open.

This gives the crew warning that someone just broke the Safe, but also encourages stealth in that using more stealthier means will not set off the alarm.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #367698

Oldman Robustin wrote:Also there's a couple secret techniques for cracking the safe without a stethoscope.

Think outside the box.
Yes there are some stupid convoluted ways of destroying the safe, like feeding it to a singularity.

But the amount of effort that is needed to counter this minimal effort tactic of putting the disk in the safe is disproportionate.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #367701

Putting the disk into a safe and spacing stetoschopes should not be a valid tactic to defeating nuke ops.
Bring back papercult.

leibniz

Post by leibniz » #367706

Oldman Robustin wrote:Very few people are willing to bomb their own station to kill Ops
I'm not certain about that.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #367714

leibniz wrote:
Oldman Robustin wrote:Very few people are willing to bomb their own station to kill Ops
I've shot people as HOS for requesting nuke codes from centcom during ops.
PantherPusher
Byond Username: PantherPusher

Post by PantherPusher » #367719

What if nuke ops had access to some kinda plasma infused thermite paste that can open the safe in like 2 minutes but the entire station can smell when it's lit.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #367722

leibniz wrote:
Banned from Research Director, Scientist, Roboticist - Threw and detonated a close to maxcap bomb in the Central Primray Hallway. Successfully killed a nuclear operative but took an innocent with him. Was fairly lenient with him but a non-antag bombing like that shouldn't happen again.

That ban was yesterday.

Warned - Detonated a bomb in the bar that killed four people in order to kill a devil. Did it at around round end and legitimately did it out of good faith in order to kill the devil. Seemed very apologetic, just needs to be more careful next time.

Three days ago.

Banned from Research Director, Scientist, Roboticist - Used a BoH bomb to kill an event blob that was almost dead and being lazed. Learn about appropriate use of force next time

Last month.

Trust me, people do that all the time and don't get banned for it.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #367728

Kor wrote:Forcing ops to sit in a single 5x5 room defending a payday reference is just gonna end in them being maxcapped or set on fire every round
sounds funny

shitposts aside the ops would have to be braindead stupid to sit in the tiny 5x5 room when they could defend the hallway with one entrance point, and leave one person in the room(?) to guard from people entering from the walls

so yeah you're right the ops would die every round
Limey wrote:its too late.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #367733

Just make secure briefcase unable to be emagged, and instead having to be hacked in a meme fashion. And then allow Captain to handcuff himself to it.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
leibniz

Post by leibniz » #367736

BeeSting12 wrote:
leibniz wrote:
Banned from Research Director, Scientist, Roboticist - Threw and detonated a close to maxcap bomb in the Central Primray Hallway. Successfully killed a nuclear operative but took an innocent with him. Was fairly lenient with him but a non-antag bombing like that shouldn't happen again.

That ban was yesterday.
Eh that's just lame, 1 casuality is nothing when they are trying to blow up everyone
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #367753

When the station does this I pull out a desword and force everyone to sit out for 15 minutes while the shuttle leaves I either crack it or get a minor victory :^)
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #367758

InsaneHyena wrote:Putting the disk into a safe and spacing stetoschopes should not be a valid tactic to defeating nuke ops.
It’s not they still win assuming the shuttle gets called.

Someone has to take it out or crew lose.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #367767

leibniz wrote:
BeeSting12 wrote:
leibniz wrote:

That ban was yesterday.
Eh that's just lame, 1 casuality is nothing when they are trying to blow up everyone
What kind of shit admin bans for something like that.....

....And then call it lenient.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #367771

>people wont blow up the station if they have the slightest shred of validity

how can anyone possibly believe this?
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
vcordie
Byond Username: Vcordie

Post by vcordie » #367896

Jobban everyone dumb enough not to stick the disk in the toilet.
uhhh hey guys its me Kor Phaerooin
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #367999

Someone has to take it out or crew lose.
This is not actually true. We recently had a round, where the disk stayed in the safe, and it counted as a major victory for crew.
Bring back papercult.

Karp
Byond Username: Ambassador Magikarp

Post by Karp » #368001

that means all the ops died

like i said just wait to see if this is as bad as some people are speculating or just prevent the disk from being put in the safe if it's such an issue
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Post by Dax Dupont » #368031

Karp wrote:that means all the ops died

like i said just wait to see if this is as bad as some people are speculating or just prevent the disk from being put in the safe if it's such an issue
Warops seems near impossible now, every nukies round i've seen last week had a minor victory for them /at best/
Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #368048

Dax Dupont wrote:

Warops seems near impossible now, every nukies round i've seen last week had a minor victory for them /at best/
Maybe if you stopped and considered all your options, you'd realize Warops are in the best position to deal with safe memes.

2/10, apply yourself.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #368084

Oldman Robustin wrote:
Dax Dupont wrote:

Maybe if you stopped and considered all your options, you'd realize Warops are in the best position to deal with safe memes.

2/10, apply yourself.
For the first time in months I agree with robustin
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Post by Dax Dupont » #368119

Oldman Robustin wrote:
Dax Dupont wrote:

2/10, apply yourself.
Except the crew spaces the stethoscopes.
iirc the nuke ops shuttle doesn't have one either.

So that leaves things that delete the safe, which would be singularities which would be extremely riskful.
Iatots

Post by Iatots » #368127

If you can hold the room, you win. Because the crew needs the disk to win.
More guns = tougher (in theory) => easier to hold the room
Hathkar

Post by Hathkar » #368139

Just add a thermal drill and stethoscopes to the op ship. Now they have loud and quiet options.
Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #368170

Dax Dupont wrote:
Oldman Robustin wrote:
Dax Dupont wrote:

2/10, apply yourself.

So that leaves things that delete the safe, which would be singularities which would be extremely riskful.
If only the Nukeops had some sort of device that would slam into the station with an immense amount of kinetic energy, destroying anything it comes in contact with... like some kind of steel... rain....

HMMMMMMM
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #368175

that would require careful planning and scouting out the station, which you should know is non-existent
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #368187

imblyings wrote:that would require careful planning and scouting out the station, which you should know is non-existent
Just bomb vault and you’ve defended it enough to basically do as you please.

Don’t even need to use tc for the strat
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #368188

Dax Dupont wrote:
Oldman Robustin wrote:
Dax Dupont wrote:

2/10, apply yourself.

Just don’t die and let them call the shuttle and you win
Rustledjimm
Byond Username: Rustledjimm

Post by Rustledjimm » #368193

I think a big weakness for Ops though is the crew knowing where they are.

Sometimes Ops biggest strength is the fact they keep moving constantly keeping reports of their positions out of date if possible meaning the crew cannot "stack up" on them. If they need to hold the vault for 20 minutes while the shuttle arrives I wouldn't be surprised if the crew easily won that fight.
So uhh, I'm an admin. Please leave feedback! Oops took me a while to strike that through.

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
Personal Ban Length Record: 2.1024e+006 minutes
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #368195

leibniz wrote:
BeeSting12 wrote:
leibniz wrote:

That ban was yesterday.
That was my ban. Note the Central Primary Hallway part. It made all the central hallways inaccessible, suffocated several people later including the Captain (But he was at least rescued) and pretty much fucked the crew more than anything the ops did.

He also had a previous recent bombing offence so that's why I said it was lenient.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman