Traitor Item price Rebalance

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.

Agree with the changes?

Yes
28%
Yes
28%
Yes
28%
No
5%
No
5%
No
5%

Total votes: 78

Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Traitor Item price Rebalance

Post by Remie Richards » #30038

15:02 Miauw somebody should make a feedback thread and tell me the results
15:02 Miauw because i dont go to the feedback forum anymore
This PR, Go: https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/4919

tl;dr: Stealth items are slightly cheaper, Weapons are slightly more expensive
(also the price of everything has been doubled and your TC has been doubled but this is only a formatting change)
私は完璧
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Re: Traitor Item price Rebalance

Post by Steelpoint » #30040

Because nothing is listed, here is a list of everything that is changed

-----------------------

Default TC's increased to 20, all items adjusted to compensate.

Revolver - 13 (From 6): Price Increased
Sketchin - 9 (From 5): Price Decreased
C20r SMG - 14 (From 7): Price Same
L6 Machinegun - 40 (From 20): Price Same
Ebow - 12 (From 5): Price Increased
Flamethrower - 11 (From 6): Price Decreased
Esword - 8 (From 4): Price Same

EMP Kit - 5 (From 3): Price Decreased
Minibomb - 6 (From 3): Price Same
Viscerator Grenade - 8 (From 4): Price Same
Chemsprayer - 20 (From 10): Price Same

Syndi Gygax - 90 (From 45): Price Same
Syndi Mauler - 140 (From 70): Price Same
Syndiborg - 50 (From 25): Price Same

Revolver Ammo - 4 (From 2): Price Same
SMG Ammo - 2 (From 1): Price Same
Pistol Ammo - 1 (No Change)
L6 Ammo - 12 (From 6): Price Same

Parapen - 4 (From 2): Price Same
Soap - 6 (From 3): Price Same
Suppressor - 3 (From 2): Price Decrease
Chameleon Jumpsuit - 4 (From 3): Price Decrease
Chameleon Stamp - 1 (No Change)
No-Slip Shoes - 4 (From 2): Price Same
Agent ID Card - 3 (From 2): Price Decrease
Voice Changer - 5 (From 4): Price Decrease
Chameleon-Projector - 7 (From 4): Price Decrease
Camera Bug - 2 (No Change)

Emag - 6 (From 3): Price Same
Toolbox - 1 (No Change)
Ops Medical Kit - 9 (From 5): Price Decrease
Space Suit - 5 (From 3): Price Decrease
Thermals - 6 (From 3): Price Same
Binary Key - 6 (From 3): Price Same
AI Detector - 1 (No Change)
Hacked AI Module - 14 (From 7): Price Same
C4 - 1 (No Change)
Powersink - 10 (From 5): Price Same
Sing Beacon - 14 (From 7): Price Same
Bomb - 11 (From 6): Price Decrease
Rad Laser - 6 (From 4): Price Decrease
Detonator - 3 (From 1): Price Increase
Teleport Board - 40 (From 20): Price Same
Energy Shield - 16 (From 8): Price Same

Freedom Implant - 5 (From 3): Price Decrease
Uplink Implant - 20 (From 10): Price Same
Adrenal Implant - 8 (From 4): Price Same

Syndicate Bundle - 20 (From 10): Price Same
Syndicate Playing Cards - 1 (No Change)
Balloon - 20 (From 10): Price Same
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #30059

Other than making items that nobody seriously used outside of bundles .5-1 (effective) TC cheaper and making the revolver more expensive, I don't really see anything serious this accomplishes in terms of "rebalance"
Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #30087

cedarbridge wrote:Other than making items that nobody seriously used outside of bundles .5-1 (effective) TC cheaper and making the revolver more expensive, I don't really see anything serious this accomplishes in terms of "rebalance"
that's

the point??
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #30089

Cheridan wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:Other than making items that nobody seriously used outside of bundles .5-1 (effective) TC cheaper and making the revolver more expensive, I don't really see anything serious this accomplishes in terms of "rebalance"
that's

the point??
So some numbers moved with no real indication that anyone would or will go for these items to save that extra TC (for soap I guess.) I'm still not seeing a bigger picture here.
Arete
Byond Username: Arete

Post by Arete » #30130

cedarbridge wrote:So some numbers moved with no real indication that anyone would or will go for these items to save that extra TC (for soap I guess.) I'm still not seeing a bigger picture here.
What kind of indication are you looking for?
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #30132

Arete wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:So some numbers moved with no real indication that anyone would or will go for these items to save that extra TC (for soap I guess.) I'm still not seeing a bigger picture here.
What kind of indication are you looking for?
Purpose -> Action -> Result

Its not me that should be answering what was expected. If the purpose or aim was to encourage more diverse trator items, I'd like to know how its expected that this will accomplish it. As I've already mentioned. The math only supports a .5-1TC swing. That's one whole bar of soap. So if the objective was "encourage more soap purchases" we've arrived. If not, I'd like to know what was expected before I can compare what occurs to what was expected. As is, there's nothing to evaluate.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #30150

Paves the way for more aggressive future TC balancing though I guess.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #30151

My only real complaint is that the rebalance would devalue the value of a Telecrystal.

But that aside, the rebalance does allow for far better fine tuning of item prices in the future.
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #30154

So using decimals rather than halving the value of a TC was out of the question because..?
Konork
Byond Username: Konork

Post by Konork » #30171

Reimoo wrote:So using decimals rather than halving the value of a TC was out of the question because..?
More than likely, TCs are integers and it was probably easier to just double all TC values instead of whatever it would take to change them to floats or something else that can handle decimals. Keeping thing to whole numbers also makes it look cleaner and slightly less confusing.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #30196

The stechkin/suppressor combo is very cost effect with this rebalance. Did anyone ever port the NT autolathe change, where you could print out various ammo types when hacked, not just .357? If not, someone should.
Nice to see things like the camera bug (which is genuinely useful, for sneaky antags) get cheaper. Sam with agent ID/voice changer.

Personally I would use this opportunity to up emag cost a little (seriously it's better value for money then anything by far) , but I'm sure some people would complain.
Also you just know someone is going to get 20 c4, print out loads of signallers, and just leave them around for retards to pickup, and blow them all up. Actually, 18 c4 and a camera bug for even more SNEAKY.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #30339

Konork wrote:
Reimoo wrote:So using decimals rather than halving the value of a TC was out of the question because..?
More than likely, TCs are integers and it was probably easier to just double all TC values instead of whatever it would take to change them to floats or something else that can handle decimals. Keeping thing to whole numbers also makes it look cleaner and slightly less confusing.
It was literally just to avoid "You have 2.5 telecystals" "wat"
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #30369

lumipharon wrote:Personally I would use this opportunity to up emag cost a little (seriously it's better value for money then anything by far) , but I'm sure some people would complain.
Well, it has a downside of breaking stuff forever, but it's usually not an issue. I agree that making it cost 7 should be done. It's just a universally good item.

Uplink implant does have 10 TC now, right?
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #30386

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:
lumipharon wrote:Personally I would use this opportunity to up emag cost a little (seriously it's better value for money then anything by far) , but I'm sure some people would complain.
Well, it has a downside of breaking stuff forever, but it's usually not an issue. I agree that making it cost 7 should be done. It's just a universally good item.

emags are already priced into a corner. As it is now, without rolling a bundle as an AI subverting traitor, I can buy an AI module and either an emag or a binary key. I can't do both without the bundle and either pairing uses all 10 of my TC. Adjusting prices to swing the emag out of range for that literally gives LESS traitor options and not more. All while taking out a combo already enshrined in a bundle
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #30413

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:

Yeah, Uplink implant was upped to 10 TC.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #30414

The emag cost is just fucking fine.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #30533

cedarbridge wrote:emags are already priced into a corner. As it is now, without rolling a bundle as an AI subverting traitor, I can buy an AI module and either an emag or a binary key. I can't do both without the bundle and either pairing uses all 10 of my TC. Adjusting prices to swing the emag out of range for that literally gives LESS traitor options and not more. All while taking out a combo already enshrined in a bundle
Yeah, okay, you have a point.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #31151

Better solution would be to split emag's 50 BILLION DIFFERENT FUNCTIONS into more then one item, as has been suggested at various points in time.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #31238

Nah, but some of them need rework so they actually break stuff. Like, they don't break barriers or buttons.
Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #31304

Actually, splitting the emag up into two items wouldn't be such a bad idea. We could add even more functionality without having to pack it all in a single OP item.

For example, one device that breaks things (brute force things open at the expense of breaking them, e.g. force open doors, depower barriers, remove access restrictions on consoles, just be all around pseudo all access)

...and one device that hacks things (enable malicious settings on things, e.g. set the holodeck on fire, hack APCS to shock every electronic in the room, set air alarms to panic syphon, subvert borgs/bots, etc)
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #31310

Reimoo wrote:Actually, splitting the emag up into two items wouldn't be such a bad idea. We could add even more functionality without having to pack it all in a single OP item.

For example, one device that breaks things (brute force things open at the expense of breaking them, e.g. force open doors, depower barriers, remove access restrictions on consoles, just be all around pseudo all access)

...and one device that hacks things (enable malicious settings on things, e.g. set the holodeck on fire, hack APCS to shock every electronic in the room, set air alarms to panic syphon, subvert borgs/bots, etc)
Except the breaking functionality and the hacking functionality are often one-in-the-same. To hack a borg without an ID requires emagging their cover lock. Then emagging their systems after crowbaring them open.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #31312

Let's not split the emag, or reprice it. Emag has to be one of the traitor items that is not broken.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #31375

Emag is broken though, it can interact with basically anything on the station and is a win button for escape alone.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #31380

Escape alone traitors barely win though. We aren't obliged to make it almost impossible.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #31426

paprika wrote:Emag is broken though, it can interact with basically anything on the station and is a win button for escape alone.
You know, except for the inability of an emag to keep other people off the shuttle while you board it. Hardly a win button.
Psyentific
Byond Username: Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #31458

cedarbridge wrote:
paprika wrote:Emag is broken though, it can interact with basically anything on the station and is a win button for escape alone.
You know, except for the inability of an emag to keep other people off the shuttle while you board it. Hardly a win button.
Actually, the surest way to prevent people from boarding is to stealthbolt the Escape airlocks, then emag them. Board the shuttle from space and emag the console for an early launch. Works everytime for me.

If it wasn't for the emag-exclusive functions, I'd take a balloon over an emag almost all the time. To rephrase that, if I could use a multitool and some hacking to do typically emag-only things (Like the shuttle console), I'd be doing escape alone balloon runs 24/7/365
I haven't logged into SS13 in at least a year.
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #31674

I'd like to see more reductions on underused equipment.

I stopped playing because traitor (and DA/Traitorling) made up the vast majority of games and there would be almost no variety in these games.

I'd like to see more traitor gadgets in the bargain bin so I actually have to think about voice changers, agent ID cards, camera hackers, and chameleon projectors once in a while, it would add more variety to rounds and encourage traitors not to go for the same goddamn items we've been seeing for years.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #31675

Oldman Robustin wrote:I stopped playing
we did it guys
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #31709

Oldman Robustin wrote:I stopped playing

Reduce TC costs for subtle traitor items. Reduce Freedom Implant to 1? 2?
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #31764

Incomptinence wrote:Escape alone traitors barely win though. We aren't obliged to make it almost impossible.
Well it's not like objectives are all equal in difficulty. I doubt that the idea behind escape alone was "block airlocks and emag shuttle" though.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #31832

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:
Incomptinence wrote:Escape alone traitors barely win though. We aren't obliged to make it almost impossible.
Well it's not like objectives are all equal in difficulty. I doubt that the idea behind escape alone was "block airlocks and emag shuttle" though.
Pros subvert an engieborg and have it wall off the escape hallway.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #32062

Pros vent escape to space and up the airpressure in the hallways to space everyone
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #32067

callanrockslol wrote:Pros vent escape to space and up the airpressure in the hallways to space everyone
That only works in ZAScode
Phalanx300
Byond Username: Phalanx300

Post by Phalanx300 » #32252

So what determines the rebalance? Are things balanced based on coder preferences or are they based on numbers?

Such as % used and % winrate with said items?
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #32401

Psyentific wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:Pros vent escape to space and up the airpressure in the hallways to space everyone
That only works in ZAScode
After fucking around I realised that they fixed the glitch you could use to do this...
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Miauw

Post by Miauw » #33795

Oldman Robustin wrote:I'd like to see more reductions on underused equipment.

I stopped playing because traitor (and DA/Traitorling) made up the vast majority of games and there would be almost no variety in these games.

I'd like to see more traitor gadgets in the bargain bin so I actually have to think about voice changers, agent ID cards, camera hackers, and chameleon projectors once in a while, it would add more variety to rounds and encourage traitors not to go for the same goddamn items we've been seeing for years.
idk man you suggest new stuff to add to traitor.
it's hard to come up with stuff and when we DO add new stuff it's almost never used.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #34016

Miauw wrote: idk man you suggest new stuff to add to traitor.
it's hard to come up with stuff and when we DO add new stuff it's almost never used.
Because emag stronk. Or, rather, that the emag has numerous functions that can't be replicated in any other way. Because there is no single better melee weapon than the e-sword - 40 damage, guaranteed knockdown, with the added bonus that it deflects taser shots. Because the e-bow is a guaranteed stun with regenerating ammo that fits in your pocket.

Items like camera bugs, AI detector, voice changer? Cham. proj, cham. jumpsuit? All situational.
The three E's of traitordom are best-in-class and/or universally applicable; No reason not to take it, never not useful.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #34089

Esword deals 20 damage and has about a 60% chance to knock someone down unless they are wearing a helmet. Also the deflection is around 50/50, you only get 100% deflection if your using duel-eswords.

But everything else Psy said is true, when you have a small group of items that have great utility and no real drawbacks, there is little reason to use anything else that is more situational.
Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #34093

So split the emag into two items and nerf ebows. Leave eswords as they are because frankly there's no good way to nerf it because a shitty 100% stun weapon > an excellent melee weapon in almost any scenario

Make up for the nerfs by adding in more items, problem solved. But it is never that easy.
ExplosiveCrate
Byond Username: ExplosiveCrate

Post by ExplosiveCrate » #34095

Splitting the emag into two items is an interesting idea.. Remove the emag's ability to open doors and introduce a new item that lets you do one of two things: instantly open a door, breaking it in the process (like the current emag), or take some time to hack the door and take full control of it (think bay's hacking tool, or a fancier pAI brute force hack).
i dont even know what the context for my signature was
Miauw

Post by Miauw » #34177

I'd keep the emag for access subverting, since that makes the most sense. And then add the hacking functionality to the AI detector.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #34325

Splitting the emag is a long overdue change. A specific door jack item would still be extremely useful for traitors (probably would need to unlock lockers and all that jazz as well, or split it even more, into cheaper things).
Miauw

Post by Miauw » #34491

lumipharon wrote:Splitting the emag is a long overdue change. A specific door jack item would still be extremely useful for traitors (probably would need to unlock lockers and all that jazz as well, or split it even more, into cheaper things).
well yeah that'd just remain an emag since it's what it was orignally supposed to be.
like one of those cracker things you see in movies where it randomly enters numbers and then they stop changing one by one.
Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #34641

So, split the Emag's utility function (Holodeck, Comms console, borgs/robots) from it's access subverting (Doors, APCs, buttons) function? That's a novel way to solve the problem. Current emag is, what, 6TC? Give the situational one 2TC and the doorcracker 4TC?
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #34722

Psyentific wrote:So, split the Emag's utility function (Holodeck, Comms console, borgs/robots) from it's access subverting (Doors, APCs, buttons) function? That's a novel way to solve the problem. Current emag is, what, 6TC? Give the situational one 2TC and the doorcracker 4TC?
Then the utility item would still need to be able to crack open borg locks because fuck if you think I'm going to juggle a flash, crowbar, hacking tool and unlocking tool to emag a borg.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #34726

E-sword is actually 30 damage and has been that way for a long time. Sheesh this is almost as bad as the guy making syndiborgs thinking eswords three hit crit (and giving the sword 5 times the charge input of a frickin laser gun).