Chemistry macros

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Re: Chemistry macros

Post by D&B » #372136

Bottom post of the previous page:

MRTY did the PR though, not goof.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Deitus
Byond Username: Deitus

Post by Deitus » #372138

oranges wrote:
Deitus wrote:the only funny (sad) thing is that head/admins constantly let you get away with this, but thats par for the course ive come to realize
What in the christ are you talking about.

Nowhere in your inconsistent fumbling rants, have you identified anyone even remotely responsible for `letting goof get away with`

jesus christ, do you have brain damage?
>kevinz saying not to argue with goof because he wont listen
>kor just laughing
>no admins or maintainers keeping goof in check despite him constantly pulling bullshit
>goof resorts to calling us all retarded and providing nonarguments
>i bring up issues that he continually ignores
>"do you have brain damage?"

i dont know, do you?
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #372139

Goof didn't make the PR (though it was his code from months ago that he gave up on)

Goof didn't merge the PR

Goof just got off a month long git ban

Goof is still permabanned from OOC

You have no idea what you're talking about in any of your posts
yorii
Github User
Byond Username: Yorpan
Github Username: yorii

Post by yorii » #372189

Can Terry also get this merged? I haven't even tried this out yet...
Floiven
Byond Username: Brak7000

Post by Floiven » #372205

From someone that just picked up chemistry to try and learn it, this system, while convenient, seems like you're not playing it properly if you don't write out and copy/paste the macros to make things during a round. I spent around 30 mins or so stocking up the fridge during a round, when another chemist showed up (who was very friendly and helpful), and showed me that he could pump out hundreds of units of the meds that I spent a long time making near instantly.

Now, I'm all for cutting down clicks, as I have tendonitis from vidya, but perhaps a balance for this would be making the macro-based crafting have time for each step, slightly slower than someone making it all manually, allowing for someone experienced and practiced enough to outpace the machine doing the sequence by itself.

I'm not a fan of the 'gotchya' system of the meds interacting with each other in a negative way, unless it's made apparent on the drugs description somewhere, because that seems like a trap a lot of people are going to fall into unless they're keeping up with the wiki/github like I am, and I already see barely any medical doctors in the rounds I play.

Another option that I recall someone mentioning was making a larger container (like a stationary cauldron or something) that would allow you to mix larger amounts of chems at once, that would effectively allow for mass production of needed things while cutting down the steps as well.
yorii
Github User

Post by yorii » #372225

Floiven wrote:Another option that I recall someone mentioning was making a larger container (like a stationary cauldron or something) that would allow you to mix larger amounts of chems at once, that would effectively allow for mass production of needed things while cutting down the steps as well.
It's called stealing the space cleaner bottle at round start.
Floiven
Byond Username: Brak7000

Post by Floiven » #372237

yorii wrote:
Floiven wrote:Another option that I recall someone mentioning was making a larger container (like a stationary cauldron or something) that would allow you to mix larger amounts of chems at once, that would effectively allow for mass production of needed things while cutting down the steps as well.
It's called stealing the space cleaner bottle at round start.
Just recalled there being one in the med break room. Good idea.
Deitus
Byond Username: Deitus

Post by Deitus » #372321

Kor wrote: You have no idea what you're talking about in any of your posts
goof continues to be terrible and those who should be keeping him in check continue to roll over and let him, give him wrist slaps, or outright defend him. thats all i really need to know about coderbus and the administration.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #372324

Deitus wrote:
goof continues to be terrible and those who should be keeping him in check continue to roll over and let him, give him wrist slaps, or outright defend him. thats all i really need to know about coderbus and the administration.
Fwoosh alt?
Selea
Byond Username: Serpentarium

Post by Selea » #372439

If it got merged, we need drug rework. To encourage more complex compounds of several reagents.
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Post by Dax Dupont » #372469

Floiven wrote: Just recalled there being one in the med break room. Good idea.
Some stations have two in medbay
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #372701

Deitus wrote:
>he's posting mean things at me, why won't the administration do anything

lmao deitus deletus
darkpaladin109
Byond Username: Darkpaladin109

Post by darkpaladin109 » #372704

I hope something gets changed about this - it seems really overpowered on paper, one of the major things that balanced dangerous chems was that you needed to spend time making them. Add some kinda timer for the mixing that gets longer the more complex the recipe you're making is or something.
Hathkar
Byond Username: Hathkar

Post by Hathkar » #372728

I tried out a few macros, and it honestly makes things far far too easy. I shouldn't be able to just instantly make complex chems in one button push, when it would take a minute or two to make normally.

At the very least, have the minimum chem amount be 5 units.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #391196

Yorii is now attempting to add the ability for macros to remove chemicals
At what point do we realize it's time to stop?
Swagbringer
Byond Username: Swagbringer

Post by Swagbringer » #391236

I have noticed that Chemists are now able to produce morphine (Not sure when this was introduced).

I think the actual macros are fine, but its the output where the issue lies. The chemicals chemists cannot access roundstart are currently: Uranium and gold. Thats literally it, and the majority of the products it makes from these two chemicals are for virology or niche.

A refactoring of chemistry formulas would be a good idea in my opinion. All the simple ingested medicine like bicaridine should be the same but any "fire and forget" medicine like mutadone or calomel (seriously there are way too many types of medicine, two for each type of damage is more than enough imo) will require liquid uranium, gold, silver, plasma etc that can be got from mining. If making the station even more reliant on mining isnt an option then they should be able to get them from botany(Botany can already produce Uranium, Gold, and Morphine and now the botany/chemist relationship wouldnt be so one-sided)

Same deal with poisons/explosives. Potassium grenades are fine, but you need botany for corn oil and nitroglycerin. Simple toxins will still be available, but putting napalm/phlogiston/blackpowder one-shot deathmixes behind a gate would be a good idea. I can literally make a syringe that will down a fully geared HoS in 10 seconds from the DING noise roundstart.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #391317

I think this also has the same problem as telescience had.

It promotes people developing external tools that will give large advantages when used in game.

How long until someone creates a third party tool that just outputs macro's for all the (available) chemicals you want?

People say memorizing the manual is also external work, but at that at least still forces you to manually mix everything together.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #391319

You mean people don't just have the wiki article open when they play chem?
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #391335

Luke Cox wrote:You mean people don't just have the wiki article open when they play chem?
Memorizing is faster than looking it up? But who cares, both don't come even close to the amount of automation possible with macro's.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #391445

What is the original PR that added chemistry macros btw? I can't seem to find it.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #391466

CPTANT wrote:I think this also has the same problem as telescience had.

It promotes people developing external tools that will give large advantages when used in game.

How long until someone creates a third party tool that just outputs macro's for all the (available) chemicals you want?

People say memorizing the manual is also external work, but at that at least still forces you to manually mix everything together.
i'm tempted to make one to prove a point at this point
TribeOfBeavers
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TribeOfBeavers

Post by TribeOfBeavers » #391470

CPTANT wrote:What is the original PR that added chemistry macros btw? I can't seem to find it.
It was a mrty PR. As they were banned by github none of their PRs are visible.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #391477

We're not too far off from turn-based combat at this point.
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Post by Dax Dupont » #391478

I kinda want to do that just to drive a point home.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #391479

TribeOfBeavers wrote:
CPTANT wrote:What is the original PR that added chemistry macros btw? I can't seem to find it.
Hidding merged PR's because the author was banned seems rather.....dumb.

edit: wait they were banned by github themself or just from our repo?
TribeOfBeavers
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TribeOfBeavers

Post by TribeOfBeavers » #391493

CPTANT wrote:
TribeOfBeavers wrote:

Banned by github for having multiple accounts/evading, I believe.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #391494

TribeOfBeavers wrote:
CPTANT wrote:
TribeOfBeavers wrote:

So that just wipes out a part of our PR history?
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #391495

CPTANT wrote:
TribeOfBeavers wrote:
CPTANT wrote:
TribeOfBeavers wrote:

So that just wipes out a part of our PR history?
basically
Denton
Byond Username: Denton-30
Github Username: 81Denton

Post by Denton » #395911

CPTANT wrote:How long until someone creates a third party tool that just outputs macro's for all the (available) chemicals you want?
You're acting as if chemical recipes were hard to memorize. For some odd reason, the deadliest chems are super easy to mix as well.

I can't think of a solution other than a rework though, the only thing that slows down an experienced chemist is how much he has to interact with laggy TGUI.
yorii
Github User

Post by yorii » #395954

Denton wrote:
CPTANT wrote:How long until someone creates a third party tool that just outputs macro's for all the (available) chemicals you want?
You're acting as if chemical recipes were hard to memorize. For some odd reason, the deadliest chems are super easy to mix as well.

I can't think of a solution other than a rework though, the only thing that slows down an experienced chemist is how much he has to interact with laggy TGUI.
It has already been reworked, dispensers are now upgradeable and the roundstart components can only dispense 5u of any reagent. You need to get femtomanipulators for most of the more advanced macros to properly work.
Selea
Byond Username: Serpentarium

Post by Selea » #395978

TBH,most fun thing with macro is inventing huge ass macros to brew very complex things.
So, it either should be without restrictions, or completely removed.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #395979

Denton wrote:

Even if you memorize the recipes (which you can only do for a select few) than mixing things together still took considerably longer than just instant macro.

But I agree that chemistry recipe balance was shit to begin with.
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #395982

despite macros being in the game, chemistry is still as fucking useless as ever.
I play Boris Pepper.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #395986

Bluespace wrote:despite macros being in the game, chemistry is still as fucking useless as ever.
What do you mean by that because the medbay mains QQ'd about being forever reliant on chemistry.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #395991

Cobby wrote:
Bluespace wrote:despite macros being in the game, chemistry is still as fucking useless as ever.
What do you mean by that because the medbay mains QQ'd about being forever reliant on chemistry.
>check smartfridge
>nothing
>this happens 9/10 rounds

sometimes there is 5 patches of tricord in there but usually chemistry just fucking sits there and makes meth for themselves.
whenever i need to get healed i have to go and beg someone to sleeper me since all the medkits have been jacked and the doctor are sitting in surgery furiously jacking off.

at least they make unstable mutagen for the hydro folks first, but they're useless beyond that.
I play Boris Pepper.
Mark9013100
Byond Username: Mark9013100

Post by Mark9013100 » #396009

People need to be more aggressive about getting chemistry to make meds, CMOs in particular need to use their authority(baton) more often to deal with shitty lazy chemists.
Denton
Byond Username: Denton-30
Github Username: 81Denton

Post by Denton » #396044

yorii wrote:It has already been reworked, dispensers are now upgradeable and the roundstart components can only dispense 5u of any reagent. You need to get femtomanipulators for most of the more advanced macros to properly work.
I meant as in there is no real difficulty to chemistry, only memorizing recipes and what each reagent is good for. Unlike mining where you fight fauna, security where you wrangle the clown etc.
yorii
Github User

Post by yorii » #397513

Denton wrote:
yorii wrote:It has already been reworked, dispensers are now upgradeable and the roundstart components can only dispense 5u of any reagent. You need to get femtomanipulators for most of the more advanced macros to properly work.
I meant as in there is no real difficulty to chemistry, only memorizing recipes and what each reagent is good for. Unlike mining where you fight fauna, security where you wrangle the clown etc.
Well, chemistry is after all the go-to role for new players and which is also recommended by the wiki for beginners, I think they are basically meant to be living chemical dispensers for a good reason.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #397522

Cobby wrote:
That was during the change to sleepers, how can every single one of your posts on these topics be so completely off base
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #398244

Shaps-cloud wrote:
Cobby wrote:
That was during the change to sleepers, how can every single one of your posts on these topics be so completely off base
Game changes can't be compartmentalized and they have potential effects in other areas (in this situation, the change to sleepers made chemistry more reliant).

I was asking how chemistry is useless but also allegedly becoming more and more a staple part of medical, especially after this change which individuals argued. I don't see how a question, although it has a provocative tone, can even be off base?
yorii wrote:
Denton wrote:
Well, chemistry is after all the go-to role for new players and which is also recommended by the wiki for beginners, I think they are basically meant to be living chemical dispensers for a good reason.
Personally it's a bit odd to give "newbies" the job of chemistry when they can't even apply the chems correctly as MD. To me, it would make sense to make MD the newbie job as it has been rather then Chemistry, which requires MD knowledge to know how to be effective (besides copypasta of the wiki ofc).
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #398354

Cobby wrote:Personally it's a bit odd to give "newbies" the job of chemistry when they can't even apply the chems correctly as MD. To me, it would make sense to make MD the newbie job as it has been rather then Chemistry, which requires MD knowledge to know how to be effective (besides copypasta of the wiki ofc).
What if we made a role for new players where they could assist players in more complex roles and learn from them and assist with various errands and tasks. We could call them "assistants" to keep it simple.