Character traits

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Character traits

Post by Xhuis » #386533

The traits PR was recently merged, so it should hit the live servers soon. Feel free to report any bugs, give ideas, thoughts, and feedback, and suggest improvements here.
Wiki page for anyone who isn't aware what they are.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Re: Character traits

Post by PKPenguin321 » #386572

Very excited to try these out. Can't wait for moodlet integration
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #386584

This doesn't seem to warrant enough of an issue as it feels more like oversight/intentional design, but traits you lose upon becoming an antag aren't given back if you happen to be de-converted back to the crew side. This is mainly an issue with mid-round conversions where a person can easily flip-flip between crew/antag depending on the situation. Maybe mid-round conversions shouldn't remove applicable traits? It might cause an issue for the converter getting a potentially shittier convert, but that is already basically a thing when you account for individual player skill.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
SpaceInaba
Byond Username: SpaceInaba

Post by SpaceInaba » #386661

I think it should only strip traits for nuke ops tbh
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
fuck,
Hathkar
Byond Username: Hathkar

Post by Hathkar » #386965

Pacifists aren't able to perform surgery as easy: Can't aggressive grab to get someone onto the surgery table. You either need someone else to put the patient there, or if you're lucky, have the patient conscious.
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Post by Bawhoppennn » #386980

A coder made the wiki page for their feature? What year is this, 3018?
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #386999

A lot of small crap doesn't have much of an impact, but this is a feature that affects every character, every round, all the time. It's kind of necessary to add some sort of documentation for it.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
EagleWiz
Byond Username: EagleWiz

Post by EagleWiz » #387040

Xhuis wrote:A lot of small crap doesn't have much of an impact, but this is a feature that affects every character, every round, all the time. It's kind of necessary to add some sort of documentation for it.
someone tell kevin
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #387317

Xhuis wrote:but this is a feature that affects every character, every round
Could It be separated for Clowns and Mimes?
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
EagleWiz
Byond Username: EagleWiz

Post by EagleWiz » #387396

Heavy sleep is a free point.
Social Anxiety is a free point if you don't intend to do much talking. This is an actual playstyle, and its awful and really shouldnt be rewarded. Especially bad is when I see heads of staff with Social Anxiety - it doesn't add RP, it lets people take communication as a dump stat. Remove that trait.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #387412

Fuck that, I love social anxiety, it's probably one of the best traits in the game right now. Even if you're so thick that you never breathe a sentence to people that isn't "HELP" or "OPEN", if you retreat into yourself as you get prodded and stripped of your headset you're fucked, which is a real downside (that has happened to me)
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
SpaceInaba
Byond Username: SpaceInaba

Post by SpaceInaba » #388636

dumb trait idea I thought of that would add interesting gameplay maybe idk im just posting this before I forget: ocd +2 points
gives you like 2-3 random nervous habits you have to conform to or you'll have a panic attack which stuns you for a bit
examples could include:
have to open and close a door 3 times before walking through it
when you wash your hands you have to wash them 5 times
you always have to take off your shoes before going through a doorway
you must have an odd/even number of items in your inventory
you cant open red doors without having gloves on
and more
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
fuck,
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #388774

Autism trait that you acquire by spending over 20 minutes in atmospherics
Spoiler:
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #388855

Tunnel Vision: Using any console/vending machine/etc reduces your vision range to only your present tile until you stop using the machine.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #388995

Is the low light vision still broken? Because I can't tell the difference at all
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #388998

NV isn't broken, it should work fine
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #389002

cedarbridge wrote:Tunnel Vision: Using any console/vending machine/etc reduces your vision range to only your present tile until you stop using the machine.
actually a fucking awesome idea
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #389062

Wimpy: a watered down version of pacifist, firing a gun gives you a temporary form of PTSD (eg. vision shakes, you vomit and hallucinate people attacking you). Also the recoil bruises your shoulder giving you 1-2 brute damage per shot. And you get a negative moodlet on top of that
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #389063

Grazyn wrote:Wimpy: a watered down version of pacifist, firing a gun gives you a temporary form of PTSD (eg. vision shakes, you vomit and hallucinate people attacking you). Also the recoil bruises your shoulder giving you 1-2 brute damage per shot. And you get a negative moodlet on top of that
Reminds me of
[youtube]r3IORZ79ISg[/youtube]
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #389064

Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #389096

@xhuis new trait idea
Dander Allergy: Touching or being touched by Ian, runtime, or a catpetson causes your body to create histamine so you get itchy and sneezy
JStheguy
Byond Username: JStheguy

Post by JStheguy » #389659

Grazyn wrote:it's actually inspired by http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/f ... -1.2673201
So basically the wimpy trait should also make you call every weapon an AR-15?
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #389665

Super Aggro Crag wrote:@xhuis new trait idea
Dander Allergy: Touching or being touched by Ian, runtime, or a catpetson causes your body to create histamine so you get itchy and sneezy
how many allergies hav we got, anyway?
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #389767

Bring back the gay trait and have it so hugging opposite sex (straight) or same sex (gay) gives you a slightly larger boost to mood (non-stacking) but makes you stutter sometimes (they're cute and you're nervous~)
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #389784

Cobby wrote:Bring back the gay trait and have it so hugging opposite sex (straight) or same sex (gay) gives you a slightly larger boost to mood (non-stacking) but makes you stutter sometimes (they're cute and you're nervous~)
Add an asex trait that lowers your mood every time someone tries to hug you, along with potentially stunning you for a second due to cringe.
It's automatically added to wizards.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #390275

DemonFiren wrote:
Cobby wrote:Bring back the gay trait and have it so hugging opposite sex (straight) or same sex (gay) gives you a slightly larger boost to mood (non-stacking) but makes you stutter sometimes (they're cute and you're nervous~)
Add an asex trait that lowers your mood every time someone tries to hug you, along with potentially stunning you for a second due to cringe.
Slopes
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #390481

Devastatingly Claustrophobic: Can't willingly enter closets, crates, sleepers, DNA scanners, cryo tubes, mechs, etc

Nyctophobia: Only able to walk if in the dark, as you move cautiously and very nervously. Mood debuff as well

Monochromacy: See the world in black and white.
Spoiler:
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #390544

PKPenguin321 wrote:Devastatingly Claustrophobic: Can't willingly enter closets, crates, sleepers, DNA scanners, cryo tubes, mechs, etc
Nyctophobia: Only able to walk if in the dark, as you move cautiously and very nervously. Mood debuff as well

Monochromacy: See the world in black and white.
these are actually interesting traits. though Claustrophobia would have to be mutually exclusive with skittish, or else you would have people running into lockers and then passing out from the fear of enclosed spaces.

wait. actually, dont do what I just said. That sounds hilarious!
Polyphynx
Byond Username: Polyphynx

Post by Polyphynx » #390588

I think getting muted with social anxiety happens too often, or lasts too long.
It feels like playing as a mime half the time, rather than a stammering bowl of spaghetti.

Also it would make a bit more sense to get nervous and screw up talking when you're close to someone/a group of people, instead of also happening when you're alone.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #390778

Polyphynx wrote:I think getting muted with social anxiety happens too often, or lasts too long.
It feels like playing as a mime half the time, rather than a stammering bowl of spaghetti.

Also it would make a bit more sense to get nervous and screw up talking when you're close to someone/a group of people, instead of also happening when you're alone.
That's a really good point!
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #390784

cedarbridge wrote:
DemonFiren wrote:
Slopes
Dont be racist
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #390790

New trait: racist

If you touch a lizard you get mad and have a seizure
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #390802

false
speciesist: if you touch anyone outside your species this applies
racist: if you touch anyone whose skin colour is too different from your own, probably a milder effect

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #390807

Fashion plate: You insist upon wearing a certain item of clothing (cosmetic stuff only, no insulated gloves or anything like that; may be best as a whitelist, stocked with some of the more silly stuff). You spawn with it, and get a negative moodlet if it is removed.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #390809

In that vein, something like "Family Heirloom" that makes you spawn with a random doodad would be interesting, that gives you a positive mood if you have it on your person and a negative one if you don't.
Qustinnus
Byond Username: Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #390813

I can't wait to be that dick that steals random relics from people just to fuck with their free moodies >:^)

makes sure there is a horrid moodlet linked to having your relic destroyed, and having an omega side ruin that lets you restore your relic :^))
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #390833

I made a PR with some of the traits and balances suggested in this thread: https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/36426
  • Added Family Heirloom, which makes you start with an item based on your job or at random. If you don't have this item on your person, you will have a mood debuff. On April Fools' this can be any item in the game.
  • Added Nyctophobia, which forces you to walk in darkness and gives a mood debuff while you're in it.
  • Added Monochromacy, which makes everything appear black-and-white except for lights.
  • Rebalanced Social Anxiety to function based on people near you.
Image of Monochromacy in action:
Spoiler:
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #390847

Monochromacy belongs to mimes and detectives.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #390852

Make Monochromacy allow you to see red blood for the dramatic effect.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #390854

If I knew how to do that, I would, but I don't currently have the knowledge to.
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #390949

Detectives need to have sepia vision.
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
Mickyan
Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Post by Mickyan » #391491

Please change the Social Anxiety trait by adding a visible message when you try to speak("*spessman* mumbles something") and/or show the player a message when they can talk ("You feel like speaking again"). Right now when you're trying to talk to someone you have to spam the same message until the anxiety wears off.

Also a Mute trait would be nice for roleplay. Make it start with a stack of paper in the backpack.

Alcoholic trait: start with a bottle of booze, get a negative moodlet whenever your alcohol level is 0
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.
Swagbringer
Byond Username: Swagbringer

Post by Swagbringer » #392153

What about a weak heart trait . Getting stunbatoned or tazes has a good chance to put you into cardiac arrest.

A good way to get sec officer's who blaze an taze boinked.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #392166

Swagbringer wrote:What about a weak heart trait . Getting stunbatoned or tazes has a good chance to put you into cardiac arrest.

A good way to get sec officer's who blaze an taze boinked.
Sounds more like a good way to die 5 minutes in with no fault on the officer's part unless they're actively going around tazing everyone until one drops dead.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer

Post by Shaps-cloud » #392170

Mickyan wrote:Also a Mute trait would be nice for roleplay. Make it start with a stack of paper in the backpack.

make it so
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #392346

Shaps-cloud wrote:
Mickyan wrote:Also a Mute trait would be nice for roleplay. Make it start with a stack of paper in the backpack.

make it so
just play mime lol
Limey wrote:its too late.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #392353

Swagbringer wrote:A good way to get sec officer's who blaze an taze boinked.
I also look forward to the ban baiting.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer

Post by Shaps-cloud » #392396

Qbopper wrote:
Shaps-cloud wrote:

make it so
just play mime lol
Using a PDA as a mime is cheating
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #392460

your mom is cheating
Limey wrote:its too late.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #392513

DemonFiren wrote:Monochromacy belongs to mimes and detectives.
skyrim belongs to the nords