Character traits

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Re: Character traits

Post by Xhuis » #392513

Bottom post of the previous page:

DemonFiren wrote:Monochromacy belongs to mimes and detectives.
skyrim belongs to the nords
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #394610

Dog Person/Cat Person: Changes what animal you get a moodlet boost from petting.

because runtime > ian goddamnit
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #394646

That is hilarious. I'd love to see how people react to the PR titled "Adds the Dog Person and Cat Person traits."
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
Mickyan
Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Post by Mickyan » #394687

Greedy: Get a stackable buff from having coins/space bucks in your inventory.
Cold Blooded: take less damage from cold but more damage from heat
Hot Blooded: viceversa
Empath: See other people's traits and/or mood by inspecting them. May have some metagaming issues like being able to figure out if someone is an antag by whether or not they have pacifism, but it could be solved by having a "fake pacifism" trait replacing the real one when you get antag instead of just going away?
Slow metabolism: slightly decreases metabolism rate for all chemicals. I'm not too familiar with the balance implications for this but I guess it comes with both pros and cons. Just throwing this out there.

Pacifism has a few small issues:
You can still hit things with harm intent if you click fast enough before it's auto-switched.
You can't splash containers on the floor without harm intent, unless you do it fast enough, see above.
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #394827

Xhuis wrote:That is hilarious. I'd love to see how people react to the PR titled "Adds the Dog Person and Cat Person traits."
fucking do it
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Polyphynx
Byond Username: Polyphynx

Post by Polyphynx » #395284

Social anxiety could still use a bit more balancing.
At the moment, the muting happens incredibly often. I'm pretty sure I'm muted more often than I'm not.
It's not a huge deal, and it is a negative trait, but it does get a bit annoying getting muted every 10 seconds. The stuttering on the other hand is great! Often having perfect comedic timing.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #395348

The muting just got rebalanced to be based around how many people you're near, so let me know how that plays out.
Polyphynx
Byond Username: Polyphynx

Post by Polyphynx » #395393

Oh sorry, that's with I meant. With the new changes.
It lasts for about 20 seconds I think? At times I'd be muted for over a minute since it kept happening one after the other, while standing next to maybe two people.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #395405

When I tried using Social Anxiety last night on Bagil I ended up feeling muted more often than I could talk, maybe just because of all the people passing by. Perhaps make the anxiety attacks force you to whisper instead of full mute? That seems less frustrating while still being thematic, plus it gets people to use whisper more

Also maybe make the anxiety attack muting a status effect with a badge so you can see when you become unmuted and don't have to keep hammering Ctrl+up enter
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #395865

Illiteracy: Cannot read paper, use PDAs, read the names and job titles on IDs or PDAs (show up as ??? to you), use computers, read or write on paper

For hard mode players only.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #395868

related: dyslexia
you can read, but words sometimes have wrong letters in them making them more difficult to process
if you write you write like you talk when drunk
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Mickyan
Github User

Post by Mickyan » #396091

I had a similar experience with social anxiety, on average it feels like it actually got worse with the last rebalance and it's often impossible to have a conversation anywhere public, either needs to be a major negative or a big nerf

I'm pretty sure Brain Damage is broken, after a few 30+ min rounds without seeing any effects I went on a local server to test it and the brain damage stops at 0.2. Oddly enough if you give yourself some brain damage it starts to tick again up to 3.8 and seemingly starts to build up normally only if you get past 15.

On the other hand when the buildup works it's a bit ridiculous, you need to chug mannitol constantly to survive. I can't imagine anyone using it unless they're purposefully trying to give themselves brain traumas for the hell of it.
Be nice to each other.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #396150

Not sure who added the brain damage trait, so I can't be sure how it works. I'll take a look at it and Social Anxiety when the feature freeze is over.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #396181

It appears to do a constant 0.2% brain damage per tick if I read the code correctly
Mark9013100
Byond Username: Mark9013100

Post by Mark9013100 » #396184

-snip-, wrong thread
Last edited by Mark9013100 on Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mickyan
Github User

Post by Mickyan » #396228

Anonmare wrote:It appears to do a constant 0.2% brain damage per tick if I read the code correctly
Yeah, it just seems to stop at certain values for whatever reason.
With 0.2/tick it would take about THREE MINUTES without mannitol to start getting brain traumas, and it's kind of absurd. If you lower it to at least 0.05 you'd have to take medication every 12 minutes which would be a bit more reasonable.
Be nice to each other.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #397613

The feature freeze got a temporary thaw that let me open a PR to do some tweaking. I added two new neutral traits, called Cat Person and Dog Person, caused mood-affecting traits to be unpurchaseable if moodlets are disabled in config, and tweaked Social Anxiety again. Now instead of having a minimum 3% chance, with 1% for each person near you, it has a maximum 3% chance, with the same scaling. This makes it only trigger from being people and should hopefully be much less frustrating.
SpaceInaba
Byond Username: SpaceInaba

Post by SpaceInaba » #397617

smoker trait that makes me spawn with a zippo and a nicotine addiction when
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
fuck,
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #397621

Diabetic trait that makes you have to manage your insulin and blood sugar levels
SpaceInaba

Post by SpaceInaba » #397622

Anonmare wrote:Diabetic trait that makes you have to manage your insulin and blood sugar levels
this is actually a really interesting idea
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
fuck,
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #397641

lots of ones that I could implement, but they'll need to wait until after the freeze as the thaw is only good for one PR
SpaceInaba

Post by SpaceInaba » #397645

just robustin-cram a bunch of new traits into the same pr what could pawsubbly go wrong
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
fuck,
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #397649

I would actually love a proper nicotine addiction where you will get negative moods if you don't get a dose of nicotine every few minutes.
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #398445

Wyzack wrote:I would actually love a proper nicotine addiction where you will get negative moods if you don't get a dose of nicotine every few minutes.
Should be able to junction that into the addictions system we already have.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #398548

if you don't want social anxiety, don't take the trait
SpaceInaba

Post by SpaceInaba » #399007

suggestion: faulty memory, clears your chat every 5-10 seconds
this is not a ploy to make everybody suffer like I do when I have to do fix chat every 5 seconds to use machines or anything
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
fuck,
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #399013

add it as korsakoff's syndrome and also make it a consequence of overdosing on alcohol

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #399020

Kind of wish there was a way to pick favorite cigs and favorite food but i'm sure most people would just powergame donk pockets if that was an available option.

That said donk pockets should automatically be a favorite of Janitor
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Xeroxemnas
Byond Username: Xeroxemnas

Post by Xeroxemnas » #399026

Anonmare wrote:Diabetic trait that makes you have to manage your insulin and blood sugar levels
That's a cool and pretty easy idea to implement probably.

Just spawn with a blood glucose meter and maybe a few insulin syringes.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #399029

Saegrimr wrote:Kind of wish there was a way to pick favorite cigs and favorite food but i'm sure most people would just powergame donk pockets if that was an available option.

That said donk pockets should automatically be a favorite of Janitor
People who'd do that probably also set mac n' cheese as their sim's favorite food in Sims. You could add an 'exoticness' variable to various consumables so you could benefit more from something like a Cuban cigar over generic cigarettes.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Mickyan
Github User

Post by Mickyan » #404519

I added a new major negative trait called Acute Blood Deficiency, I'm interested to hear your thoughts if it's something you're interested in trying. Essentially, your blood is constantly being drained at a slow rate.

It can feel a bit daunting at first because blood levels are something you often take for granted in the current medical system, so I figured I'd give you some tips on how to make it manageable:
-Nutrition level is the most important thing: stay well fed, eat often, stick to healthy food and the blood loss is going to be almost negligible.
-In order of effectiveness from lowest to highest, these are the most common ways to treat blood loss: Iron (grind a few iron sheets in the holodeck), bloody mary, saline-glucose solution (despite what the wiki says, you don't need an IV drip), blood transfusions.
-Always check your blood level when you get hurt, you don't get the luxury of regenerating it on your own.
-When your blood level is too low you'll start to taking oxygen damage, salbutamol and ephinephrine can buy you enough time to get treatment.
Be nice to each other.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #404552

that reminds me, sickle-cell anaemia when?

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Ispiria
Byond Username: Ispiria

Post by Ispiria » #404740

An idea I had for one that could maybe even use existing code to impliment!

Ambilevous - Adds a random chance to fail when using tools/weapons.

Similar to clown clumsiness, except with things like surgical tools or crowbars and wrenches as well as guns, just a chance to fail because it's the opposite of the ambidexterity everyone seems to have.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #404750

Handedness would actually be kinda nice to have in-game.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
teepeepee
Byond Username: Teepeepee

Post by teepeepee » #406665

Mickyan wrote:I added a new major negative trait called Acute Blood Deficiency, I'm interested to hear your thoughts if it's something you're interested in trying. Essentially, your blood is constantly being drained at a slow rate.

It can feel a bit daunting at first because blood levels are something you often take for granted in the current medical system, so I figured I'd give you some tips on how to make it manageable:
-Nutrition level is the most important thing: stay well fed, eat often, stick to healthy food and the blood loss is going to be almost negligible.
-In order of effectiveness from lowest to highest, these are the most common ways to treat blood loss: Iron (grind a few iron sheets in the holodeck), bloody mary, saline-glucose solution (despite what the wiki says, you don't need an IV drip), blood transfusions.
-Always check your blood level when you get hurt, you don't get the luxury of regenerating it on your own.
-When your blood level is too low you'll start to taking oxygen damage, salbutamol and ephinephrine can buy you enough time to get treatment.
Very fun and challenging, although I would like to point out Iron is extremely shit at dealing with this, since it barely keeps it from going down, not improve your situation (at least at the current drain rate), same thing with vitamins. Saline glucose is the best solution, since its easily produced and there's more stock of it available roundstart, but it wont raise your blood above 98%.
Lazengann
Byond Username: Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #406675

The blood thing sounds very neat, thanks for adding it!
Mickyan
Github User

Post by Mickyan » #406679

teepeepee wrote: Very fun and challenging, although I would like to point out Iron is extremely shit at dealing with this, since it barely keeps it from going down, not improve your situation (at least at the current drain rate), same thing with vitamins. Saline glucose is the best solution, since its easily produced and there's more stock of it available roundstart, but it wont raise your blood above 98%.
It will raise your blood level, albeit slowly, if you're well fed (nutrition has a major role in blood regeneration - if you're starving you will bleed out REALLY fast), but yes it's the weakest option you got just offset by the fact it's very easy to come by in large quantities
Be nice to each other.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #406736

Cool concept and probably workable into something more fun but a huge waste of potential right now.

Outside of a few people who take the challenge traits like poor aim or pacifist it mostly seems to be used to cancel out moodlets right now, or to take the negative traits that arent really negative so they can get a few random buffs. Tons of people with prosthetic/heavy sleeper/heirloom.

tl;dr good idea but lacklustre options, easily gamed
SpaceInaba

Post by SpaceInaba » #406740

imo positives should still have their own downsides
dumb idea following this: maybe a prototype toolset implant that is slower than a normal toolset implant and makes your arm explode (because its a prototype lol meme) when emped, so you have a tradeoff to not needing a toolbelt
of course this has its own issues with it but it's a positive with a downside I'm just using it as an example dont shoot me pls
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
fuck,
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #406742

All the initial positive traits right now are designed to have minimal impact on the overall gameplay, for two reasons:
1. I wanted to see if traits in general would be well-received and liked as a whole
2. I didn't know how much traits should impact gameplay in the positive way, so I focused on challenge traits instead
With the current framework, it'd be very easy to implement traits that are powerful and impact the round, but I don't know if these would work with /tg/, nor how well they would be received. As for "free points", there will always be negatives that are better to take for certain playstyles. Someone who prefers to avoid fights and combat has no reason not to take something like Pacifist or Heavy Sleeper, and a medical doctor can easily treat their Acute Blood Deficiency with readily-available supplies in med.
Mickyan
Github User

Post by Mickyan » #406744

I wouldn't underestimate Prosthetic Limb, EMPs do damage and cause you to get stunned for a long time, they break off easily and you need to go through the extra step to repair them rather than just getting shoved in a sleeper. I've seen multiple people in deadchat saying they ended up regretting picking it up.

I agree some negatives like heavy sleeper are too niche to be considered real disadvantages (if you get put to sleep in a bad situation it's unlikely an extra couple of seconds are going to make a difference) and we need more traits that are interesting to play with for better or worse instead of being there for number/variety. Heirloom should be neutral since it's a double edged sword but since mood is disabled it's not really a discussion worth having.
Be nice to each other.
SpaceInaba

Post by SpaceInaba » #406755

Im still sad prosthetic limb is random, I want a persistent limb that is prosthetic but I can't get it :C
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
fuck,
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #406775

SpaceInaba wrote:Im still sad prosthetic limb is random, I want a persistent limb that is prosthetic but I can't get it :C
This tbh. Muh roleplay, having a character who is persistently crippled in a specific way sounds cool
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #406866

>kor complains that moodlets get too much in the way of playing the game and make them anxious
>kor complains that traits dont' affect teh game enough and don't see to do anything

what's her angle?
iksyp
Byond Username: Iksyp

Post by iksyp » #407918

there needs to be more traits and no limit on them
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #408043

oranges wrote:>kor complains that moodlets get too much in the way of playing the game and make them anxious
>kor complains that traits dont' affect teh game enough and don't see to do anything

what's her angle?
I'm psychotic

Also traits are opt in so I'd like the choices to be meaningful
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #408106

iksyp wrote:there needs to be more traits and no limit on them
At the very least no limit on the bad traits so people can play HARDMODE.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #408107

The only reason I took traits is to counter moodlets anyway so it's whatever at this point.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Doctor Pork
Byond Username: Doctor_Pork

Post by Doctor Pork » #408341

Can we reenable the family heirloom trait? I know moodlets are out right now but I really liked my "Ramos family space law" it was super cool to have and moodlets got disabled before I had a chance to smack a criminal with it.
oranges wrote:pork, the nondescript, commoner king, literally so stealth you could just your normal name in OOC and nobody would know, long may he reign as the secret commander
Deitus wrote:If your signature is scrollable it's too long and fucking obnoxious and you should feel bad
Link to my feedback thread. Go there.
PKPenguin321 wrote:I've been had by yet another tg boondoggle
Gamarr
Byond Username: Gamarr

Post by Gamarr » #408503

Kor wrote:Cool concept and probably workable into something more fun but a huge waste of potential right now.

Outside of a few people who take the challenge traits like poor aim or pacifist it mostly seems to be used to cancel out moodlets right now, or to take the negative traits that arent really negative so they can get a few random buffs. Tons of people with prosthetic/heavy sleeper/heirloom.

Kor wrote: Also traits are opt in so I'd like the choices to be meaningful
This is just what tg fucking does. Keep jamming shit in without any real plan. Maybe Kor wants an actual schedule and structure to go with quality-of-life code. It was hit on the head: it's just going to be gamed to shit as the freebies are taken. This is the game with nuke op TDM and one side gets a SAW and these moodlets and Optional traits is what amounts to yet another tg boondoggle.
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #408549

Gamarr wrote:
Kor wrote:Cool concept and probably workable into something more fun but a huge waste of potential right now.

Kor wrote: Also traits are opt in so I'd like the choices to be meaningful
This is just what tg fucking does. Keep jamming shit in without any real plan. Maybe Kor wants an actual schedule and structure to go with quality-of-life code. It was hit on the head: it's just going to be gamed to shit as the freebies are taken. This is the game with nuke op TDM and one side gets a SAW and these moodlets and Optional traits is what amounts to yet another tg boondoggle.
your last connection was several weeks prior to this being merged