Moodlets

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Qustinnus
Byond Username: Qustinnus

Re: Moodlets

Post by Qustinnus » #407316

Bottom post of the previous page:

Grazyn wrote:
Qustinnus wrote:I can't really be arsed to add additions to mood right now without some confirmation that any effort I do is not just going to be in vain because Kor and Rustled dislikethe feature existing.
You mentioned adding happy pills and antidepressants in the original moodlets PR. This was in early february. It also came up again in this very thread, one month later. Again you said you were going to do it.

Maybe if people had had a way to deal with moodlets from the start with antidepressants, as was suggested many times, instead of unrealistic and RP-forcing ways like food and hugs, it wouldn't have been labeled "reskinned hunger bar" and most criticism would've been avoided.
And I responded multiple times that I would do it once mood is actually decently under control, which it isn't. You can't really blame me for not going 24/7 on a hobby project.
Shezza
Byond Username: Wilchen

Post by Shezza » #407353

ROUND AND FULL

>I won't work on a feature because people are upset that feature is bad and i don't want to waste my time therefore i will waste time of others.
Thanks for all the dopamine.

You (cough), you haven't won here. You and your mutie-bastard friends are gonna join me in a big ol' mushroom cloud sendoff. I just triggered the self-destruct. (Heh, heh; cough, cough,...) The work will go on. You didn't do nothing here, 'cept seal your own death warrants. Duty, (cough) honor... courage... Semper Fiiiii........
Qustinnus
Byond Username: Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #407358

Shezza wrote:ROUND AND FULL

>I won't work on a feature because people are upset that feature is bad and i don't want to waste my time therefore i will waste time of others.
if they want to remove the feature because of problem X that I don't think I can reasonable resolve, should I spent time fixing Y and Z if they will remove it because of X anyways? I've already sunk a ton of time into this feature, if it's going to be removed I don't see what else I can do.
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #407360

Qustinnus wrote:
I do acknowledge the problems, however I can't fix certain things such as Kor's main issue with the feature. The other ones are simple one line changes that /anyone/ can edit. I'm not doing it because I don't know what to change it to. I don't enjoy writing shit like that because writing isn't one of my interests, coding is. If you want to change "nothing interesting has happend to me recently" then do so. It's an open source codebase. I don't know what to change it to, if you have a better text that doesn't ruin your immersion then feel free to change it
I couldn't care less about moodlets, I was just trying to offer some player insight on why the feature may have failed, specifically concerning the aspect of immersion which came out as a major issue during the discussion. You can tell me to "go code it myself" because you don't care about writing fluff but the lack of immersive fluff is one of the reasons why moodlets were poorly received.
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #407369

Grazyn wrote:
Qustinnus wrote:
I do acknowledge the problems, however I can't fix certain things such as Kor's main issue with the feature. The other ones are simple one line changes that /anyone/ can edit. I'm not doing it because I don't know what to change it to. I don't enjoy writing shit like that because writing isn't one of my interests, coding is. If you want to change "nothing interesting has happend to me recently" then do so. It's an open source codebase. I don't know what to change it to, if you have a better text that doesn't ruin your immersion then feel free to change it
I couldn't care less about moodlets, I was just trying to offer some player insight on why the feature may have failed, specifically concerning the aspect of immersion which came out as a major issue during the discussion. You can tell me to "go code it myself" because you don't care about writing fluff but the lack of immersive fluff is one of the reasons why moodlets were poorly received.
The immersion issue could be solved by just renaming the moodlets into something more generic.
Mickyan
Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Post by Mickyan » #407387

The problem is those who decided to turn off mood either aren't talking or aren't saying whether their grievances can be solved by making any of the changes that have been suggested. Short of a few personal opinions we still don't know what the actual problems with the system are and we're somehow expected to figure out a solution without guarantee that any work put in won't be a complete waste of time.

If the text and icons are such an issue I could make a PR to change the wording into a "distressed/relaxed" meter and edit the icons to stand out less but it'd still be disabled and I still wouldn't know if that really helped anything so why even bother.
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.
Selea
Byond Username: Serpentarium

Post by Selea » #407405

Moodlets could be good feature, if they were for mobs. Not for players.
Also graphics was ugly. From screen distortions to moodlet indicator.
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Post by Dax Dupont » #407527

Qustinnus wrote:
Shezza wrote:ROUND AND FULL

if they want to remove the feature because of problem X that I don't think I can reasonable resolve, should I spent time fixing Y and Z if they will remove it because of X anyways? I've already sunk a ton of time into this feature, if it's going to be removed I don't see what else I can do.
This is a pretty valid opinion to have. If you think it's gonna be removed entirely why bother putting effort in it.

It's like noone is gonna bother touching clock cult at this point.
The Clowns Pocket

Post by The Clowns Pocket » #407533

realtalk normally I'm against nearly any kind of removal because I often feel they are kneejerkish. I was the one guy who actually liked Gang.

Moodlets? I don't mind them going gone.
Shezza
Byond Username: Wilchen

Post by Shezza » #410159

Dead unworked on feature, omegalul
Thanks for all the dopamine.

You (cough), you haven't won here. You and your mutie-bastard friends are gonna join me in a big ol' mushroom cloud sendoff. I just triggered the self-destruct. (Heh, heh; cough, cough,...) The work will go on. You didn't do nothing here, 'cept seal your own death warrants. Duty, (cough) honor... courage... Semper Fiiiii........