Moodlets

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Re: Moodlets

Post by Stickymayhem » #389137

Bottom post of the previous page:

Qustinnus wrote:
Stickymayhem wrote:Making you worse at combat is just a bad idea with moodlets. It doesn't make any sense to me.

A depressed mood should have consequences, but movement is a dumb one. Maybe it can slow actions and work, instead.

I think a better thing to do would be to make sadness infectious. Being around depressed people makes you feel worse, thus you'll avoid the depressed people, making them feel isolated and giving an actual mechanical consequences that makes far more sense than "Sad people are slow". A noticeable description "X looks bummed out, and it's bumming you out" would work. Once depressed, you can get happy pills in medbay (It's the future), or some good samaritans can try to cheer you up at a temporary expense to their own sanity.

A sanity stat would represent this all much better. Low mood begins to damage your sanity pool. Lower and lower sanity brings more psychological problems down to 0, which can result in a coma, suicide, or whatever else. These effects should take at minimum 30 minutes to present themselves severely, giving longer rounds some purpose, and giving people a reason to create things that cheer the crew up.

A Cthulhu style sanity system would be far more interesting, mechanically engaging, and realistic than a basic mood indicator.

Hell I'll help design it. I've run a shitload of mythos systems.
I dont want consequences of mood to be purely visual, If the downside is "you make other people sad" it wouldnt be good enough because everyone could be sad but nothing would change, plus AoE effects suck. What I do like is the idea of sanity where you gain or lose it based on your current mood and making it long term instead oc short term. However 30 minutes is a tad too long.
Consequences of mood would not be purely visual. You don't want to be sad because it'll fuck up your sanity. It makes the system less binary, more realistic and gives you something real you want to avoid, as well as avoiding the dumb situation of "I'm hungry so now I have multiple personality disorder."

It also leaves a lot of cool room for sanity destroying effects from some of the eldritch abominations that crop up.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #389140

If anything you should really add Prozac, it would also be educational because binge-eating isn't a healthy solution to depression, self-medication is.
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #389141

Grazyn wrote:If anything you should really add Prozac, it would also be educational because binge-eating isn't a healthy solution to depression, self-medication is.
>SS13 cures the neckbeard crisis by teaching them the healthy solution to mental problems isn't food, it's drugs

FOR THE KIDS
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Limey
Byond Username: Limed00d

Post by Limey » #389144

Grazyn wrote:If anything you should really add Prozac, it would also be educational because binge-eating isn't a healthy solution to depression, self-medication is.
I'm playing this game to escape from reality, not to experience it elsewhere
Usually plays as Aya Shameimaru, Remilia Scarlet or Rumia Kuroda depending.
Spoiler:
NSFW:
SpaceInaba
Byond Username: SpaceInaba

Post by SpaceInaba » #389153

grazyn is in kahoots with big pharma
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
fuck,
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #389192

no suprise to see robustin and stickymayhem, both who play the game only to win and kill other people trying to get this system watered down.
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #389194

oranges wrote:no suprise to see robustin and stickymayhem, both who play the game only to win and kill other people trying to get this system watered down.
You really need to step your troll game up.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #389196

low effort post
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #389337

This is a good idea. Other servers have anti-depressants as a fluff chem but with moodlets you can actually make it functional.

Make anti-depressants reduce negative moodlets by a small amount to simulate them and give them a slow depletion rate, and possibly give both med-bay and possibly security a roundstart supply.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #389365

Dr_bee wrote:
This is a good idea. Other servers have anti-depressants as a fluff chem but with moodlets you can actually make it functional.

Make anti-depressants reduce negative moodlets by a small amount to simulate them and give them a slow depletion rate, and possibly give both med-bay and possibly security a roundstart supply.
Instead of making it remove the moodlets themselves, just make it suppress them. Since that's what you generally expect from anti-depressants. They don't generally cure the issue, they just suppress them until the user snaps. Give med anti-depressants that suppress negative mood (but don't increase past "meh" and then have the full negative mood reapply when their dosage runs out and they forget to take their meds or renew their prescription.
Qustinnus
Byond Username: Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #389367

cedarbridge wrote:
Dr_bee wrote:

Instead of making it remove the moodlets themselves, just make it suppress them. Since that's what you generally expect from anti-depressants. They don't generally cure the issue, they just suppress them until the user snaps. Give med anti-depressants that suppress negative mood (but don't increase past "meh" and then have the full negative mood reapply when their dosage runs out and they forget to take their meds or renew their prescription.
thats what im planning to do :)

https://trello.com/b/eoKOhhpD/moodlet-roadmap is my current roadmap, feel free to leave comments
Kel-the-Oblivious
Byond Username: Kel the Oblivious

Post by Kel-the-Oblivious » #389383

Shaft Miners should get a mood boost for scooping up diamond or bluespace ore, and get a much larger boost for killing megas or tendrils.
The master splicer, the bitch queen of mining, and some crazy ligger peddling you medicinal marijuana.
Super Aggro Crag wrote:Kel is a genuine Cool Oldfag
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #389394

oranges wrote:no suprise to see robustin and stickymayhem, both who play the game only to win and kill other people trying to get this system watered down.
Low effort.

Sanity is a cool idea and makes sense admit it you soulless fruit
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #389400

But...what do they do? Are they related to the "scared of words" meme that have been plaguing me lately?
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #389406

Lumbermancer wrote:But...what do they do? Are they related to the "scared of words" meme that have been plaguing me lately?
Did you take the social anxiety trait or something?
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #389407

I took no traits. And whenever Snake joins the match, I get scared if he talks over radio. It killed me at least once.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #389408

Lumbermancer wrote:I took no traits. And whenever Snake joins the match, I get scared if he talks over radio. It killed me at least once.
Curators are afraid of snakes because Indiana Jones memes
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #389411

Fair enough. But you people are talking about some kinds of effects, while all moodlets do for me is change colour based on how the fuck up am I.
darkpaladin109
Byond Username: Darkpaladin109

Post by darkpaladin109 » #389515

Stickymayhem wrote: happy pills
We've already got space drugs for that, kinda.
Selea
Byond Username: Serpentarium

Post by Selea » #389526

how about brain surgery to remove moodlets?
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #389569

Selea wrote:how about brain surgery to remove moodlets?
Best you should get in that regard is a frontal lobe obliteration.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #389576

cedarbridge wrote:
Selea wrote:how about brain surgery to remove moodlets?
Best you should get in that regard is a frontal lobe obliteration.
How about that one magnetic surgery shit in The Expanse that turns you into a sociopath who autistically attacks anyone messing with whatever he's obsessing over but otherwise completely incapable of developing feelings for others?
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #389634

Lumbermancer wrote:Fair enough. But you people are talking about some kinds of effects, while all moodlets do for me is change colour based on how the fuck up am I.
The effects are subtle unless you really fuck up.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #389650

my only piece of feedback is that if someone gets a moodlet while wearing the mime mask, the mime mask should change expression
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Limey

Post by Limey » #389660

I like that the mood reflects events like slipping and such.
Spoiler:
NSFW:
EagleWiz
Byond Username: EagleWiz

Post by EagleWiz » #389799

DemonFiren wrote: How about that one magnetic surgery shit in The Expanse that turns you into a sociopath who autistically attacks anyone messing with whatever he's obsessing over but otherwise completely incapable of developing feelings for others?
I see what you did there
Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #389849

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/36344

New PR to adress the following issues

- Moodlets are shit during combat (Sanity, moods over long term results in (de)buffs instead of current mood)
- Various bugs
- some of the shitcode I originally had
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Post by Dax Dupont » #389867

ERP moodlets when
Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #389877

Dax Dupont wrote:ERP moodlets when
when i become headcoder
Limey

Post by Limey » #390680

tie cargo mood to stock market payout
Spoiler:
NSFW:
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #390685

Limey wrote:tie cargo mood to stock market payout
Forced suicide if a stock you invested 10k credits in goes bankrupt
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Limey

Post by Limey » #390686

Shaps-cloud wrote:
Limey wrote:tie cargo mood to stock market payout
Forced suicide if a stock you invested 10k credits in goes bankrupt
[youtube]KV5QlSgq7lg[/youtube]
Spoiler:
NSFW:
Nitrousoxide
Byond Username: Nitro2985

Post by Nitrousoxide » #390708

I now go around hugging everyone I can to give them good moodlets so this is a good addition.
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Post by Xhuis » #390835

Made a wiki page for this, for what it's worth.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #390845

New trait: sweaty

Negative moodlet if you wear any shoes but sandals
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #390848

only if it also lowers the mood of everyone directly next to you
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Durkel
Byond Username: Durkel

Post by Durkel » #391232

Requesting a moodlet for clowns and mimes to correlate to their costume.

If a clown takes of his shoes or mask they get a negative and they remain on they get a positive and the same goes for the mime if they remove their mask.
Sierra Welbe says, "Tim Ebow fucking threw soap everywhere near the HoP office, like I mean 20 fucking goddamn bars AND I CAN'T STOP SLIPPING"
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #391248

Durkel wrote:Requesting a moodlet for clowns and mimes to correlate to their costume.

If a clown takes of his shoes or mask they get a negative and they remain on they get a positive and the same goes for the mime if they remove their mask.
i think this literally already exists for clown shoes and mimes have something similar but with their vow of silence
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #391264

Quick question about these, can they be used as a means to implement various status effects?
Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #391289

Luke Cox wrote:Quick question about these, can they be used as a means to implement various status effects?
Yes, mood_events call an add and remove proc which can be overriden for their children. They don't have a process() proc but you should preferably let any of the other systems ment for processing mob effects handle those kind of effects anyways.

(I might've misunderstood your question tho)
Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #391290

Xhuis wrote:Made a wiki page for this, for what it's worth.
Oh thanks! I wanted to work on that once my second PR was merged so I could work sanity into the article, this already helps a ton, though!
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #391382

Suicide at depressed mood level or riot
Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #391399

Luke Cox wrote:Suicide at depressed mood level or riot
well in the next PR you'll slowly go insane, that counts right?
Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #392065

New PR has been merged, please leave feedback on the changes made! :D
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #392081

Qustinnus wrote:New PR has been merged, please leave feedback on the changes made! :D
why no links
darkpaladin109
Byond Username: Darkpaladin109

Post by darkpaladin109 » #392091

Stickymayhem wrote:
Qustinnus wrote:New PR has been merged, please leave feedback on the changes made! :D
why no links
I assume this is the PR he's reffering to.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #392635

objection to current system: irl depression makes you eat less, not more
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #392641

bandit wrote:objection to current system: irl depression makes you eat less, not more
bringin out my psychology degree here. It can actually do both.

More/Less appetite is a symptom. Weight Gain/Loss is a symptom. More/Less Sleep is a symptom.
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #392687

Stickymayhem wrote:More/Less appetite is a symptom. Weight Gain/Loss is a symptom. More/Less Sleep is a symptom.
1512364076836.gif
1512364076836.gif (934.3 KiB) Viewed 9768 times
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #392689

.....what is that coming out of the spout of the kettle
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Post by Xhuis » #392700

.....what is that coming out of the spout of the kettle
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL