Sleepers no longer automatically generate chemical PR

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Re: Sleepers no longer automatically generate chemical PR

Post by Dax Dupont » #391298

Bottom post of the previous page:

Swagbringer wrote:Chemistry is currently in consideration of making some minor to major changes in how it operates at the minute with macros and possible medicine removal.

Its hard to talk about changes to medbay when there is no "base" to compare it too.
Playerbase.
Not base level of operations.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #391301

Dax Dupont wrote:This whole PR is paprika levels of fuck the player base I do what I want if this dumb shit gets merged.
I think it's unfair to show this kind of malice, jjr has been pretty open about taking feedback for it and it's still only been testmerged so far.

That being said, as per his comment here, I'd again like to reiterate that stasis itself isn't really useful to medbay since it's much quicker to stick someone with epinephrine and putting someone in stasis then taking them out again is slower than simply sticking them with epi and treating them, so I would have to discourage that train of thought.
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Swagbringer
Byond Username: Swagbringer

Post by Swagbringer » #391305

Sorry I meant base as in Nuke ops and c20r, or Ling and Armblade.

Chemistry with macros and an actual chemist making medicine can singlehandedly supply enough touch medicine to make sleepers pointless. Do we balance on the assumption that chemists will make medicine? Do we make sleeper/cyro changes on the assumuption that chemists will have macros forever (they are removing them roundstart on the github)

All of medbay is so up in the air right now that predicting how it will all turn out is hard to say.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #391307

Shaps-cloud wrote:
Dax Dupont wrote:This whole PR is paprika levels of fuck the player base I do what I want if this dumb shit gets merged.
I think it's unfair to show this kind of malice, jjr has been pretty open about taking feedback for it and it's still only been testmerged so far.

That being said, as per his comment here, I'd again like to reiterate that stasis itself isn't really useful to medbay since it's much quicker to stick someone with epinephrine and putting someone in stasis then taking them out again is slower than simply sticking them with epi and treating them, so I would have to discourage that train of thought.
Doesn't it halt blood loss?
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #391310

It halts healing, death. Everything. It's pretty useless and is about the same as the person being dead. But when they go out of stasis they get auto defibbed. The epi-pen is way better.

Lastly, I feel like this PR is trading gameplay features for realism. I get it coders, admins, whatever. You want the grey tide and the shittery to stop, so if you make it so that if you toolbox a guy in the head and they get stuck in medbay for 20 minutes. It'll seem like a much shitty move, right? Well if you nerf medbay, you're gonna have to follow with an antag nerf pretty soon. I mean, on most servers with a slower medbay do they have such monsters like slaughter demons, invincible lings. Or even traitors who set off maxcaps every round? I doubt it, I'm pretty sure it's just set at extended. So, I don't see any real justification in making a game more realistic, when we're here to have fun. Not to play a time-gated waiting simulator. Maybe that's the reason people don't like to die on ss13? If we wanted a more realistic ss13, wouldn't we all just be at a high roleplaying server where all they do is play extended?
► Show Spoiler
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer

Post by Shaps-cloud » #391311

Armhulen wrote:
Shaps-cloud wrote:

Doesn't it halt blood loss?
Yeah but if they're gushing blood that bad you can just gauze them or (preferably) treat them first cause most of their brute is concentrated on one limb which you can patch up with a few brute packs
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #391312

If anything is going to be used to keep people in stasis, it would make a lot more sense for it to be cryo. In the medbay I envision, I'd like to see cryo used for extreme cases where people need surgery to save them and the surgery bay is full. Stuff you use for minor to moderate injuries should never completely immobilize the patient.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer

Post by Shaps-cloud » #391350

Okay, the amount of talking about major rewrites to medical has me officially spooked. I'll make a post about some easily expandable medical additions I'd be willing to implement regarding making bleeding and burn infections relevant that will give doctors more importance in the crew staying in perfect health without locking them in surgery for the entire shift tomorrow when I don't feel so exhausted. The thought of another goofmed situation where someone tries to rewrite the entire medical system at once, or someone who doesn't play medbay at all writing major changes (especially when said person still thinks medbay is brainless despite these last 3 pages) fills me with an existential dread, and I think that a simple expansion of the status condition function for simple injuries would serve the intended purpose much better.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #391353

Shaps-cloud wrote:Okay, the amount of talking about major rewrites to medical has me officially spooked. I'll make a post about some easily expandable medical additions I'd be willing to implement regarding making bleeding and burn infections relevant that will give doctors more importance in the crew staying in perfect health without locking them in surgery for the entire shift tomorrow when I don't feel so exhausted. The thought of another goofmed situation where someone tries to rewrite the entire medical system at once, or someone who doesn't play medbay at all writing major changes (especially when said person still thinks medbay is brainless despite these last 3 pages) fills me with an existential dread, and I think that a simple expansion of the status condition function for simple injuries would serve the intended purpose much better.
I honestly feel like if you did something like that, the coders who don't play would calm there shits for a little bit. But then would attempt to revamp medbay once more because "ree mostly new players play medbay, if we make it harder people will want to play it more right?"
► Show Spoiler
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #391378

Shaps-cloud wrote:Okay, the amount of talking about major rewrites to medical has me officially spooked. I'll make a post about some easily expandable medical additions I'd be willing to implement regarding making bleeding and burn infections relevant that will give doctors more importance in the crew staying in perfect health without locking them in surgery for the entire shift tomorrow when I don't feel so exhausted. The thought of another goofmed situation where someone tries to rewrite the entire medical system at once, or someone who doesn't play medbay at all writing major changes (especially when said person still thinks medbay is brainless despite these last 3 pages) fills me with an existential dread, and I think that a simple expansion of the status condition function for simple injuries would serve the intended purpose much better.
I don't think medical as a department is in a bad place, I just think the current health system could use some depth. Requiring surgery for severe injuries would not in any way "lock them in surgery for the entire shift". Realistically you'd just clone them if surgery is too slow. You'd still have options.

I get there the PR is coming from, I just think it puts the blame for the issue in the wrong place.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #391523

The sleeper change is not the right way to go about giving medical more depth. I think adding more injuries with good cures in medbay, better cures researchable, and ghetto cures able to be found around the station is the best way around this. As of right now, an eleven TC item can take out all of medical on most maps and fuck over the crew for the rest of the round. There's a reason why the shuttle is called ASAP after med's destroyed.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #391538

BeeSting12 wrote:The sleeper change is not the right way to go about giving medical more depth. I think adding more injuries with good cures in medbay, better cures researchable, and ghetto cures able to be found around the station is the best way around this. As of right now, an eleven TC item can take out all of medical on most maps and fuck over the crew for the rest of the round. There's a reason why the shuttle is called ASAP after med's destroyed.
Can always do the goonstation thing and make a secondary medbay clinic on the opposite side of the station as medbay. /tg/ sort of already has this with the holodeck but the holodeck is temporary and kinda doesnt have everything you need.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #391608

Was changing sprite really necessary?
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #391662

Can someone please tell me why this has been testmerged for THREE DAYS?
Rustledjimm
Byond Username: Rustledjimm

Post by Rustledjimm » #391769

So I've had a few thoughts on this. I think it would be at an acceptable level if there was some kind of slow heal while in the sleeper. Slower than chemicals but fast enough to prevent people from using bruise packs to heal their 2 damage boo boo.

Beesting is bigbrained and I don't think this is the right way to make medical more interesting but I believe if the above was implemented it would at least be acceptable. At the moment I think it's uh, not good.
So uhh, I'm an admin. Please leave feedback! Oops took me a while to strike that through.

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
Personal Ban Length Record: 2.1024e+006 minutes
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #391798

Rustledjimm wrote:So I've had a few thoughts on this. I think it would be at an acceptable level if there was some kind of slow heal while in the sleeper. Slower than chemicals but fast enough to prevent people from using bruise packs to heal their 2 damage boo boo.
Not gonna lie the first time I started playing and discovered sleepers thats how I thought they worked. I went and laid down in one for like 10 minutes before realizing nothing was happening until someone came by and pushed a button.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Mark9013100
Byond Username: Mark9013100

Post by Mark9013100 » #391876

Anonmare wrote:Give the MDs a back-area chem office so they aren't beholden to the whims of chemistry to produce what they need. You can gut it out of the patient rooms.

Chemistry can remain the public face it needs to be and they can service the public and assist the doctors as needed, the back-office ensures that there should be at least one method of chemical generation
This.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #391877

Ding dong the witch is dead
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #391883

*looks at roundstart medbay supplies in literally every map, not even including medkits outside of medbay*

*people on here thinking they need chemistry in a game that doesn't even need medical because it's so easy to heal up by literally anyone, yourself included*

Interesting interesting...
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #391921

Not to mention cryo on top of that.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #391925

Cobby wrote:*looks at roundstart medbay supplies in literally every map, not even including medkits outside of medbay*

*people on here thinking they need chemistry in a game that doesn't even need medical because it's so easy to heal up by literally anyone, yourself included*

I remember suggesting cutting down on the amount of basically everything on the station and getting shot down as "rounds are too short"
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer

Post by Shaps-cloud » #391930

Cobby wrote:*looks at roundstart medbay supplies in literally every map, not even including medkits outside of medbay*

nice dump post 3 pages into a thread all about how medbay isn't useless and many people enjoy it, good zing
Kor wrote:Not to mention cryo on top of that.
Cryo is slow and inefficient for what sleepers do, I know you've mentioned wanting to make scarcity a thing but this isn't the way to do it as the mountain of feedback has shown
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #391937

If this isn't part of the way to do it then there is literally no way to do it.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer

Post by Shaps-cloud » #391939

Coming up with a fix for binary infinite/no power sounds like a much better starting point for infinite resources
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #391945

If medbay can't coordinate using its own medicine without sleepers I don't see how medbay, security, science, and the chef are going to coordinate on power draw or how coders are going to account for that across 5 different maps with populations from 5-100 people.
cameronwoof
Byond Username: Cameron Lancaster

Post by cameronwoof » #391949

Making supplies in Medbay scarce by making them dependent on Chemistry just isn't fair. Science is gated by Mining in the same way but unlike Mining, Chemistry has no incentive to make or do anything for the rest of the department. Chemists as a job are fundamentally selfish and in most rounds are a non-factor for medical doctors, preferring to make lube or superpoisons than make the basic set of medical chems that would make this sleeper PR actually interesting.

The players who are interested in helping others need to be the ones making the chems. You cannot put two selfish people in a room and then tell an entire department to rely on them throwing scraps when pestered.
LifeReign
Byond Username: LifeReign

Post by LifeReign » #391971

What if sleepers automatically healed people placed in them slowly, healing faster if you're less injured, while always placing patients in stasis? Or what if instead of being a binary INFINITE CHEM vs NO CHEM, sleepers use energy to inject chems at a worse efficiency than chem dispensers make chems?
Bagil- Eats-Shoots-and-Leaves: Probably the botanist
EagleWiz
Byond Username: EagleWiz

Post by EagleWiz » #391980

cameronwoof wrote:Chemists as a job are fundamentally selfish and in most rounds are a non-factor for medical doctors, preferring to make lube or superpoisons than make the basic set of medical chems that would make this sleeper PR actually interesting.

The players who are interested in helping others need to be the ones making the chems. You cannot put two selfish people in a room and then tell an entire department to rely on them throwing scraps when pestered.
Encourage the crew to steal the chem dispensers if they refuse to use them for the good of medbay? Get the CMO/security to fire/arrest chemists who refuse to do their job? (refusing to make chems when medbay needs them as a chemist is dereliction of duty and is against space law) Nerf the deadlier parts of chem so that its less attractive for awful players? Job ban the most selfish chemists? Refusing to improve game systems because some players are selfish, only in it for the valids, and refuse to cooperate with anyone just creates a spiral of zero-rp selfish deathmatch players playing a game balanced around zero-rp selfish deathmatches.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #392058

cameronwoof wrote:Making supplies in Medbay scarce by making them dependent on Chemistry just isn't fair. Science is gated by Mining in the same way but unlike Mining, Chemistry has no incentive to make or do anything for the rest of the department. Chemists as a job are fundamentally selfish and in most rounds are a non-factor for medical doctors, preferring to make lube or superpoisons than make the basic set of medical chems that would make this sleeper PR actually interesting.

Why do we have a civillian/non antag Chemistry job at all if we are operating under the assumption they will never do anything except build firebombs and acid spray?
cameronwoof
Byond Username: Cameron Lancaster

Post by cameronwoof » #392104

Kor wrote:
cameronwoof wrote:Making supplies in Medbay scarce by making them dependent on Chemistry just isn't fair. Science is gated by Mining in the same way but unlike Mining, Chemistry has no incentive to make or do anything for the rest of the department. Chemists as a job are fundamentally selfish and in most rounds are a non-factor for medical doctors, preferring to make lube or superpoisons than make the basic set of medical chems that would make this sleeper PR actually interesting.

Why do we have a civillian/non antag Chemistry job at all if we are operating under the assumption they will never do anything except build firebombs and acid spray?
The question at this point should be why is chemist its own job instead of just being part of medical doctor, to which there are no good answers.
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #392107

If this change goes through it will hurt at first as it does with all changes but it will lead to chemistry self policing itself into attracting players interested in making mixes for medbay.

You shouldn't prevent nor deny changes just because there's only death mixers working on the department now. The players and others who interact with them will make their lives living hell and sooner or later end up jobbanned for not doing their job properly/increasing body counts instead of helping the department they signed up for. Just like rule changes, the playerbase should, and in this case, would adapt eventually.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Gigapuddi420
Byond Username: Gigapuddi420

Post by Gigapuddi420 » #392129

cameronwoof wrote:The question at this point should be why is chemist its own job instead of just being part of medical doctor, to which there are no good answers.
If we removed the chemist role the people who play chemist just to fuck about with chems and ignore medbay would still exist, but they would roll medic for the chem dispenser access. Still, I don't really have a lot of helpful suggestions on how to fix medbay culture, D&B is likely right that it'll hurt at first before players adapt to the new meta. Personally as a assistant/engineer I mostly ignore medical. It's the place I go to for advanced medical issues like radiation poisoning or limb loss. The stasis effect of sleepers doesn't sound too useful over just handling the problem, with any luck sleepers won't turn into the new way incompetent medics can kill you like cryo pods.
Imperfect catgirl playing a imperfect game.
EagleWiz
Byond Username: EagleWiz

Post by EagleWiz » #392191

D&B wrote:If this change goes through it will hurt at first as it does with all changes but it will lead to chemistry self policing itself into attracting players interested in making mixes for medbay.

You shouldn't prevent nor deny changes just because there's only death mixers working on the department now. The players and others who interact with them will make their lives living hell and sooner or later end up jobbanned for not doing their job properly/increasing body counts instead of helping the department they signed up for. Just like rule changes, the playerbase should, and in this case, would adapt eventually.
Might need to nerf death mixes, at least for a little while to get rid of the death mix players.
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #392213

There's no need because they will eventually be booted out flby medbay players/admins or lynched and banned altogether.

Same thing as engineering engine change. Give them time to adjust to the change and you'll see the shitters slide out due to the players self policing themselves. Chemists will need to make an effort to actually make their death chems and keep up with medicine production and having a death chem on you won't be an instant death sentence since it could be proven you were making medicine.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #392253

LifeReign wrote:What if sleepers automatically healed people placed in them slowly, healing faster if you're less injured, while always placing patients in stasis? Or what if instead of being a binary INFINITE CHEM vs NO CHEM, sleepers use energy to inject chems at a worse efficiency than chem dispensers make chems?
Then sleepers would be literally cryo.
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #392322

make the idea that shaps put forward and then this proposal won't make me want to quit playing medical
Limey wrote:its too late.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #392342

Kor wrote:Why do we have a civillian/non antag Chemistry job at all if we are operating under the assumption they will never do anything except build firebombs and acid spray?
Toxins?
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #392354

Saegrimr wrote:
Kor wrote:Why do we have a civillian/non antag Chemistry job at all if we are operating under the assumption they will never do anything except build firebombs and acid spray?
Toxins?
Add to this that the reason everyone expects firebombs and acid sprays is that our antag-focused policy and design puts a sign over chemistry that says "high gearcheck potential" so people are drawn to it to weaponize rather than medicate.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #392371

Why do we keep trying to resolve bigger issues with useless fixes that do nothing but serve as a detriment to the game? First engineering gets a hugbox engine, now medbay gets a nerf to one of the only reasons to go there instead of just slapping on a bruise pack.

If this PR was paired with a few others that actually tried to make medbay more interesting I could get behind it in theory, but the idea behind this seems to be "if we keep nerfing things eventually they'll HAVE to go to medbay to heal!". Like what's even the benefit of sleepers now over literally just a beaker and syringe? Both require a doctor, both require a beaker of healing meds, but the syringe can be used on you anywhere not just medbay and doesn't consume power.

Nobody thought this PR through.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #392387

Saegrimr wrote:
Toxins?
Legacy at this point lets be honest
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #392391

Kor wrote:
Saegrimr wrote:
Toxins?
Legacy at this point lets be honest
noone wants to admit it not even me until now but kors right here
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
JJRcop
Byond Username: JJRcop
Github Username: JJRcop

Post by JJRcop » #393948

I wish I knew of this thread earlier. Before I read it, I was going to make stasis beds after the freeze that are separate machines from sleepers, to implement robustin's suggestion, while leaving sleepers intact, then after stasis beds get merged, I would try to change how sleepers work, either replacing them, or nerfing their generation speed. After reading this thread, I still want to do the above, but now I'm rather cautious.

My primary goal is to make medical dependant on station resources, so that they won't function well if the resources are choked. I consider the main resource lines for medical to be chemistry, cargo, and hydroponics. The sleeper change prevented you from using things like styptic patches, gauze, and ointment, because the patient wasn't exposed, so it heavily encouraged chem use, this made chemistry appear as the only supply line.

Shaps said that stasis isn't any more useful than epinephrine, which is likely true in most cases. The primary reason for stasis was because of the infinite chem removal, if you don't have the right chems or healing available, you could put a patient in stasis until you do. At the least, it's an alternative option.

It seems like the change made high levels of patients really difficult to deal with. Based off of that, this kind of change (my new plan) requires other changes to go along with it.

The fix could be as simple as mapping more than two stasis beds
I lurk quite often...
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #393957

JJRcop wrote:The fix could be as simple as mapping more than two stasis beds
Or players can make their own as needed
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #393964

Cobby wrote:
WOAH WRONGTHINKING

just so my post doesn't get deleted every map has been made with having every single material in excess from roundstart so this is a great change but people really really hate it
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer

Post by Shaps-cloud » #393969

To throw out an unpopular opinion that kicks against the grain, I honestly don't think adding resource restrictions would make this more fun. Not being able to do your job because someone else isn't doing their job isn't fun, and sure you can try to complain and get someone else to do it, but then the round ends an hour later and you have to roll the dice to see if your co-workers decide to actually do their jobs, just to see if you can or cannot do the same things you would have done otherwise.

Again

And again

And again

If we were still a smaller server and you could actually hold people who don't do their jobs accountable, and admins banned people who suicide or ghost or walk away as chemists/botanists/any resource providing job then sure, maybe you could make it work and it'd make for some fun scenarios. But until people put the effort to finish up planetstation and there's an efficient pipeline that makes departmental cooperation reliable and fun, I don't see any value in it.

Consider what resource management actually adds in practice before going balls deep.

Like, imagine if security had to get new handcuffs grown from botany after every arrest or engineering had to order new gloves after every door they hacked, does that really enhance the jobs?
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #393973

Armhulen wrote:
Cobby wrote:
WOAH WRONGTHINKING

just so my post doesn't get deleted every map has been made with having every single material in excess from roundstart so this is a great change but people really really hate it
https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 10&t=14254
We had that thread a few months ago and it got screeched at.