Nerf monkey spam.

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Selea
Byond Username: Serpentarium

Nerf monkey spam.

Post by Selea » #393493

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/ ... -375482733
I think, that's lazy and low quality way to solve problem.Why:
1.You can put 20 monkeys in tiny space and ruin any possibility to make monkey with cube.monkeys do't even needs to be alive to prevent spawn.
2.Players can't properly read "bluespace harmonics prevents cube from activation" ingame.Instead they see:"hurr durr,I was lazy and hardcoded very low cap.Get your bullshit explaination."
3.spawn N monkeys in hallway is valuable part of gameplay and good distraction strategy.20 cap is too low.300 and more monkeys are definetely too much and bad for server health.But 200 can be handled by processor and can't be counted as too serious griefing.
Possible better ways to solve problem:
1.Prevent activation of more then N monkey cubes on one tile.For example, they could spawn monkey king(like rat king).Needs custom sprite.Better if power and monstruosity of MK will depend on amount of activated cubes.
2.make botany monkey cubes cost higher.Shitty way to fix problem, but still better.
3.change monkey AI. If there are too much monkeys in tiny space, they will go nuts and start killing each other.Since problem is expensive monkey AI, they will self regulate their amount and problem will be solved.

looking forward for better solution.
Qustinnus
Byond Username: Qustinnus

Re: Nerf monkey spam.

Post by Qustinnus » #393514

i want to code ratkings actually but monkey kings sounds mental lol
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #393621

I was just about to make this thread.

Preventing 300 monkey cubes from being made in the first place is a very valid solution, make tier 4 recycle 100% efficient instead of 400% and quadruple botany monkey cost.

If that is insufficient make the rate at which they spawn limited, so new monkeys don't spawn from the cube if there are already 10 monkeys on the tile.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Selea

Post by Selea » #393638

Actually, there is PR with best solution:optimize monkey AI.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #393975

Selea wrote:3.spawn N monkeys in hallway is valuable part of gameplay and good distraction strategy.
Since when was getting banned for spamming monkeys a "valuable part of gameplay?"
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #394010

Has someone actually been spamming monkeys enough to warrant this? If so, I haven't seen it.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Post by Dax Dupont » #394014

ShadowDimentio wrote:Has someone actually been spamming monkeys enough to warrant this? If so, I haven't seen it.
I've seen it a lot.
Eskjjlj
Byond Username: Eskjjlj

Post by Eskjjlj » #394023

The low cap prevents xenobiologists from feeding more than ten slimes at a time and it's really annoying when you want to do xenobio quickly before the inevitable 30min mark shuttle call.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #394033

ShadowDimentio wrote:Has someone actually been spamming monkeys enough to warrant this? If so, I haven't seen it.
Buggy just got permabanned for intentionally crashing the server with it and he wasnt the first to do so
Darkgenerallord
Byond Username: Darkgenerallord

Post by Darkgenerallord » #394034

he didn't crash the server because I just killed all of them instantly.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #394039

Kor wrote:
Buggy just got permabanned for intentionally crashing the server with it and he wasnt the first to do so
Yeah this just seems like a player problem to me easily resolved by banning whoever's abusing it
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #394040

ShadowDimentio wrote:
Kor wrote:
Yeah this just seems like a player problem to me easily resolved by banning whoever's abusing it
Said as a non admin.

Its actually annoyingly hard to track down the perpetrator unless you catch them in the act. This is doubly true for newer admins or trials that aren't as used to the interfaces and tools. There's not really a reason that anyone should be spamming that many monkeys in the first place unless its a "because its possible" thing. And even then that's not a valid reason.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #394042

cedarbridge wrote:
ShadowDimentio wrote:
Kor wrote:
Said as a non admin.

Its actually annoyingly hard to track down the perpetrator unless you catch them in the act. This is doubly true for newer admins or trials that aren't as used to the interfaces and tools. There's not really a reason that anyone should be spamming that many monkeys in the first place unless its a "because its possible" thing. And even then that's not a valid reason.
Please reconsider spending time typing serious replies to someone who thinks easy and even inadvertent server crashes are a "player issue"
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #394043

Kor wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:
ShadowDimentio wrote:
Kor wrote:
Said as a non admin.

Please reconsider spending time typing serious replies to someone who thinks easy and even inadvertent server crashes are a "player issue"
The temptation is always there that maybe the reply will help out somebody posting in better faith.
EagleWiz
Byond Username: EagleWiz

Post by EagleWiz » #394090

I like this idea because it means I can run around unleashing hordes of monkeys as an antag if I feel like it without having to worry about crossing a monkey line and getting a ban.
Selea

Post by Selea » #394221

There is difference between:
1.Spawn 30-60 monkeys as non antag. It isn't so bad to even count as serious grief.
2.Spawn 100-200 monkeys as antag. There are even advice for traitors about it on wiki.
3.Spawn 600 monkeys to crash server. Intentional server crash is always bannable.

Now there is cap of 20 monkeys. And they could be even dead to prevent spawn of new ones. Which is certainly excess measure,since problem is monkey AI.
Maybe there should be monkey cap to prevent crashes. But it should be adjusted to max value, which server can handle.and it could be 600+ after Robustin's PR.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #394252

cedarbridge wrote:
Kor wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:Said as a non admin.

The temptation is always there that maybe the reply will help out somebody posting in better faith.
You don't have to be an admin to know if the server crashes because of monkey spam, and in my years of playing I've never knowingly seen it happen (I've seen like 5 crashes total).

You seriously need to chill out and stop being such a douchebag, Kor.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #394548

ShadowDimentio wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:
Kor wrote:

You don't have to be an admin to know if the server crashes because of monkey spam, and in my years of playing I've never knowingly seen it happen (I've seen like 5 crashes total).

I've banned people on two separate occasions for it and I know of at least two others. So while you may not have seen it, you're going to have to accept that admins who actually handle admin things see the application of policy where you would not.
Matkingos
Byond Username: Matkingos

Post by Matkingos » #394562

I feel like I am partially responsible for this. I apologize for the rounds I monkeyspammed as botanist/traitor botanist. Although it did give me a good story thanks to Kevinz. Spamming monkeys and using the rad storm for gorillas is a fun way to traitor as a botanist, however, crashing the server with it is definitely a dick move, and it needs fixing.
Darkgenerallord
Byond Username: Darkgenerallord

Post by Darkgenerallord » #394578

let it be known what was slowing shit down wasn't specifically the monkeys in this case, but the fact that all six hundred of them were infected with a disease that was slowing shit down in combination with the monkeys
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #395441

ShadowDimentio wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:
Kor wrote:

You need to stop treating conversations as epic internet combat and more as an exchange of information. If a longtime admin/coder, a longtime admin, and a coder (now also an admin since this conversation), all in positions of experience with dealing with previous rulebreaking/crashes, and with access to information you don't have (the ban database, admin discussions, etc) all tell you this is a problem that needs to be addressed, what compels you to keep arguing that you haven't seen it personally and we should just tolerate server crashing exploits?

What is your endgame?
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #395443

>I need to stop treating conversations as fights

Reread my original posts. I literally only said "oh hey I haven't seen this, is it actually happening?", and then when Cedar said he had just banned someone for it I said "oh well it sounds like a player problem then" because it was and was resolved. You're the one trying to start shit, I haven't done anything.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #395453

Cap is now 64, why do we have a cap that is still not determined by actual stability criteria?

Set the cap at 200, plenty of monkeys for everyone and no server issues.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
SpaceInaba
Byond Username: SpaceInaba

Post by SpaceInaba » #395461

CPTANT wrote:Cap is now 64, why do we have a cap that is still not determined by actual stability criteria?

Set the cap at 200, plenty of monkeys for everyone and no server issues.
why are you so obsessed with having 200 monkeys do you have a fetish or something
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
fuck,