Open Letter About Hallucinations

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Open Letter About Hallucinations

Post by cedarbridge » #398448

Please stop adding them to literally everything. There's already more than enough things in game that can or rightly should cause a character to hallucinate and we don't need more of them so please kindly find something else to use as a downside of your next project if it were planned to include hallucinations.

Thanks
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Re: Open Letter About Hallucinations

Post by XDTM » #398466

Speaking as the one who reworked hallucinations into their current state:
A - You're right, don't apply hallucinations where not needed especially now that brain damage actually matters, or when you can apply softer status effects.
B - I really want people to be fooled by my finely crafted hallucinations put them everywhere
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #398482

XDTM wrote:Speaking as the one who reworked hallucinations into their current state:
A - You're right, don't apply hallucinations where not needed especially now that brain damage actually matters, or when you can apply softer status effects.
B - I really want people to be fooled by my finely crafted hallucinations put them everywhere
They are stupidly too common. plus the fact that if you do certain things you are guaranteed to have hallucinations, like if the SM explodes or you enter the SM chamber without mensons.

Change shit to a chance for it to happen so there is SOME uncertainty. Christ.
XDTM
Github User

Post by XDTM » #398484

Yeah slapping hallucinations together with a big red "HEY YOU'RE HALLUCINATING" message ruins the effect. I like them on BZ gas, or in other ways it's subtly applied.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
cocothegogo
Byond Username: Cocothegog0

Post by cocothegogo » #398532

The one where people say stuff to you over radio is a good one imo
Mark9013100
Byond Username: Mark9013100

Post by Mark9013100 » #398570

Yeah, the one that just blatantly says you're hallucinating needs to be removed.
Selea
Byond Username: Serpentarium

Post by Selea » #398597

There are so many ways how to get hallucinations, so you''l have them if you'll hear them all.
Best option if hallucinatios will alter, depend on source of them.So:
oxyloss: all goes dark.With light spot in center.You hear music and voices.Possibly "stars".
radiation: like skewium, but with x1=x*sin(y+k+t), instead of linear transform.
and so on.
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #398626

I actually regret suggesting the 'on fire' hallucination because I cry every time I get it. You can't put it out like being on fire normally can, and it's a guaranteed long slow as the holodamage builds and takes a very long time to wear off. I'd be happy if you could at least 'put out' the fire to stop the holodamage.
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #398658

cocothegogo wrote:The one where people say stuff to you over radio is a good one imo
That and the one where they say things near you actually gets me sometimes. All the others are too obvious.

I do enjoy the taste hallucinations however. Nothing quite like tasting despair.
Rustledjimm
Byond Username: Rustledjimm

Post by Rustledjimm » #398665

Hallucinations are fun.

I remember one time being in the middle of a raging fire as the station was falling around all about me and a mediborg came up to me to try and heal me. Seconds after he injected me my health status started plummetting down so I just unloaded a full combat shotgun into it.

Then it said I was dead while still moving about and realised I was hallucinating from the SM explosion and I killed the poor borg that was just trying to help.

They're a lot of fun but I think they should be kept to a limited number of reasons.
So uhh, I'm an admin. Please leave feedback! Oops took me a while to strike that through.

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
Personal Ban Length Record: 2.1024e+006 minutes
XDTM
Github User

Post by XDTM » #398729

Rustledjimm wrote:Hallucinations are fun.

I remember one time being in the middle of a raging fire as the station was falling around all about me and a mediborg came up to me to try and heal me. Seconds after he injected me my health status started plummetting down so I just unloaded a full combat shotgun into it.

Then it said I was dead while still moving about and realised I was hallucinating from the SM explosion and I killed the poor borg that was just trying to help.

They're a lot of fun but I think they should be kept to a limited number of reasons.
These stories are my end goal when coding hallucinations.
I'd really like a hallucination stories thread tbh
a.k.a. Duke Hayka