REMOVE LING remove ling

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Lazengann
Byond Username: Lazengann

Re: REMOVE LING remove ling

Post by Lazengann » #398918

Bottom post of the previous page:

I have ling enabled because if I get it then there's one less ling to absorb me in maint
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #398922

Every time I play ling I will at some point at least entertain the idea of outing all my buddies to security so that the round has less lings, if not go through with it. Most rounds I'm ling at least one of them will have some plan to murderbone or do shuttle-call-tier shit (bombs, etc) so I'm happy to be rid of them

Oh except that one round where I told an officer to incinerate a "suspected ling" without outing myself and he spent the rest of the round autisticallly watching me to "prove" I was one too so I couldn't even do anything fun.
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #398924

Fatal wrote:If nothing else, remove the team chat and stop lings being a team murder mode at the very least

Every time I see lings it's basically a team mode because, why wouldn't they use that advantage
I've tried, but coderbus disagreed.
Bring back papercult.

Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #398945

Rustledjimm wrote:Can I just repeat here that I hate ling and it's the only antag I have refused to ever play.

Please nerf. I don't have any input or ideas sorry because I've played it once about 3 years ago and never touched it since but I'm just asking nicely can we please nerf it somehow.
that's like not playing wizard because you hate wizard

the only reason people tolerate it is because eventually you get to be the epic spell man
ohnopigeons
Byond Username: Ohnopigeons
Github Username: ohnopigeons

Post by ohnopigeons » #398962

Or maybe you're comparing apple to oranges and playing ling isn't that epic.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #398981

Lings can be frustrating, but do you guys really die to them that often? The traitors usually end up being way more dangerous in traitorchan rounds in my experience. I don't think I've actually died to a ling in months.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #399008

Armhulen wrote:
Rustledjimm wrote:Can I just repeat here that I hate ling and it's the only antag I have refused to ever play.

Please nerf. I don't have any input or ideas sorry because I've played it once about 3 years ago and never touched it since but I'm just asking nicely can we please nerf it somehow.

the only reason people tolerate it is because eventually you get to be the epic spell man
Wizards are infinitely more fun to fight than lings because wizards, while strong as hell, are the loudest antag we have and is pretty much outed the moment they step on the station. Lings meanwhile are roughly as good as wizards, there's 2-5 of them in a round, AND they're practically undetectable.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #399011

Much simpler idea

Three categories of ling abilities, Combat, Stealth, and Regenerative

If take an ability from any category, all abilities in any other categories go up in price by 1
So if you take armblade, armor, shield, screech, etc (all combat abilities), it costs what it usually does, but if you try to take armblade, fleshmend, biodegrade (a combat, regenerative, and stealth ability), you're now down 2 more points than you'd usually be. This encourages specialization and makes it so mixing all the optimal powers and getting the best of every world isn't really doable.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #399019

PKPenguin321 wrote:Much simpler idea

Three categories of ling abilities, Combat, Stealth, and Regenerative

If take an ability from any category, all abilities in any other categories go up in price by 1
So if you take armblade, armor, shield, screech, etc (all combat abilities), it costs what it usually does, but if you try to take armblade, fleshmend, biodegrade (a combat, regenerative, and stealth ability), you're now down 2 more points than you'd usually be. This encourages specialization and makes it so mixing all the optimal powers and getting the best of every world isn't really doable.
That's really good actually. Way simpler than my ability tree idea.
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #399022

just make them either all combat or all stealth it seems like the biggest problem is the identity crisis

oldling was bad for another plethora of reasons (boring, long rounds of being parastung and sucked until no one but lings was left) but it at least had its own identity. lings weren't terribly strong in combat but they had sneaky abilities to confuse people and make them scary one on one especially if they got the drop on you.

if you wanna move away from that then give them the strong combat stuff and nix the invisible poisons and stings. make lings be able to activate tentacles and blades and be this beasts of combat but they need to stop and recharge (maybe limit or remove passive chem generation by amount of absorptions so they need to keep accumulating biomass)
make them loud and obvious but they need to balance chem usage and keep absorping to get new disguises
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #399024

or just like nix the evolution shop and give em 2-4 random evolutions (maybe u get to pick from 2/3 fr each one) so people have to think on their feet a little more and work with their builds
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #399068

captain sawrge wrote:oldling was bad for another plethora of reasons (boring, long rounds of being parastung and sucked until no one but lings was left) but it at least had its own identity. lings weren't terribly strong in combat but they had sneaky abilities to confuse people and make them scary one on one especially if they got the drop on you.
Newling is just all of the above but harder. I liked that parasting was basically their only offensive ability, it made it so they were unbeatable in 1v1 but in groups the ling didn't stand a chance. Oldling was the closest we've ever been to a stealth antag.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #399070

it was really boring and bad
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #399071

ShadowDimentio wrote:
captain sawrge wrote:oldling was bad for another plethora of reasons (boring, long rounds of being parastung and sucked until no one but lings was left) but it at least had its own identity. lings weren't terribly strong in combat but they had sneaky abilities to confuse people and make them scary one on one especially if they got the drop on you.
Newling is just all of the above but harder. I liked that parasting was basically their only offensive ability, it made it so they were unbeatable in 1v1 but in groups the ling didn't stand a chance. Oldling was the closest we've ever been to a stealth antag.
Problem being parasting had no tells at all. basically leading to people getting dragged into maint in the middle of crowds. Unlike goonstation's neurotoxin sting you didnt even get the ability to shout for help. It was very unfun to fight against, even with a group. Also Lings even back then were deadly as they usually had para and cryo sting, and could easily disable 2 people while fighting the third.

even back then they were fucking shit to fight against. thats why parasting was removed in the first place.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #399075

This may be controversial, but what if we removed hidden stings entirely?
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #399076

Luke Cox wrote:This may be controversial, but what if we removed hidden stings entirely?
I don't really think those are the issue.
Spoiler:
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #399077

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Luke Cox wrote:This may be controversial, but what if we removed hidden stings entirely?
Biggest issue is the fucking comms and free revives. Remove those and ling might be somewhat balanced.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #399078

Dr_bee wrote:
ShadowDimentio wrote:
Problem being parasting had no tells at all. basically leading to people getting dragged into maint in the middle of crowds. Unlike goonstation's neurotoxin sting you didnt even get the ability to shout for help. It was very unfun to fight against, even with a group. Also Lings even back then were deadly as they usually had para and cryo sting, and could easily disable 2 people while fighting the third.

even back then they were fucking shit to fight against. thats why parasting was removed in the first place.
Worry not any PR to readd parasting will be rejected without debate. Ling was even less popular when they had that and I'm not gonna fall for nostalgia.
Karp
Byond Username: Ambassador Magikarp

Post by Karp » #399079

Kor wrote:Lings need to be directed to kill one another again or they need to lose the hivemind or yeah far fewer numbers.
They sadly lack any reason to kill eachother anymore outside of antag objectives, in the past you could easily get an absurd amount of genomes off of killing other lings but that isn't a mechanic anymore.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #399080

Dr_bee wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:
Biggest issue is the fucking comms and free revives. Remove those and ling might be somewhat balanced.
The revives are fine if the crew aren't fucking retards who can't figure out how to space something or dump it into a gibber. The comms are a problem.
Yakumo_Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #399083

Space loops you straight back on station most of the time and is generally considered a completely fucking retarded move since the ling will just revive and come back.
The gibber can be armbladed and often is. The only reliable way is shuttlecrush which either gives the ling a chance to revive or gives you the chance to die in a stupid way to the same thing.

Lings are hard to kill in the first place so RE-killing a ling becomes an extremely tedious (and hazardous) chore when it can just press a reset button and run away again.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #399085

Luke Cox wrote:The revives are fine if the crew aren't fucking retards who can't figure out how to space something or dump it into a gibber. The comms are a problem.
Except lings have a space suit now and space loops so if you throw a ling out an airlock it's just going to come back and kill you in five minutes.

Reviving needs to revive the ling at 1 health and use all their chems, I've had lings revive on the way to the gibber, instantly melt the cuffs and sprint away with methspeed before anyone can stop them. It's fucking gay.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #399088

Yakumo_Chen wrote:Space loops you straight back on station most of the time and is generally considered a completely fucking retarded move since the ling will just revive and come back.
The gibber can be armbladed and often is. The only reliable way is shuttlecrush which either gives the ling a chance to revive or gives you the chance to die in a stupid way to the same thing.

Lings are hard to kill in the first place so RE-killing a ling becomes an extremely tedious (and hazardous) chore when it can just press a reset button and run away again.
I'll give you the spacing bit, but you can also just dump them into the xenobio pen.
ShadowDimentio wrote:
Luke Cox wrote:The revives are fine if the crew aren't fucking retards who can't figure out how to space something or dump it into a gibber. The comms are a problem.
Except lings have a space suit now and space loops so if you throw a ling out an airlock it's just going to come back and kill you in five minutes.

Reviving needs to revive the ling at 1 health and use all their chems, I've had lings revive on the way to the gibber, instantly melt the cuffs and sprint away with methspeed before anyone can stop them. It's fucking gay.
I'm fine with just about any ling nerf but I will defend the indefinite revive till my last. Braindead assistants can't just toolbox them to death like they can traitors. They actually have to use their brains to kill the ling. Security can easily gib them with the labor camp shuttle, and if you honestly get yourself killed doing it, consider it natural selection.
Kingfish
Byond Username: Enkment

Post by Kingfish » #399099

*insert shilling for explosive lances here*
Yakumo_Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #399108

I'm fine with just about any ling nerf but I will defend the indefinite revive till my last. Braindead assistants can't just toolbox them to death like they can traitors. They actually have to use their brains to kill the ling. Security can easily gib them with the labor camp shuttle, and if you honestly get yourself killed doing it, consider it natural selection.
the ling revive timer is so incredibly short that if I don't hold them down while trying to crush them (which will invariably drag me down into space with it), that they'll often get back up as I'm trying to gib them. Gibbing them is just incredibly annoying to do and not very fun for anyone except the ling.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #399109

I wouldn't mind seeing the revive timer increased a bit, but agian, if you honestly can't find a way to gib a body in SS13 the problem is you.
The Clowns Pocket

Post by The Clowns Pocket » #399113

If anyone is seriously pining of the days of oldling then I want to punch them in the face. No, oldling was shit and one of the worst things to play against. Being parastung and then dragged into a dark corner of maint or coming back from AFK to be nothing more then a husk was not fun, it was terrible. "They were good in one vs ones!" is also terrible because they weren't just *good* in 1v1s, they were fucking stupid. They also had a tough ass learning curve for people who dont know how to quickly grab and while currentlings may be kinda pathetically weak I'd happily take a role that's at least fun to greif as over one that outright encourages powergaming.

And speaking of which... if you want a heavy nerf to lings (still?) all you really need to do is give them objectives to kill one another (randomly!) or just cut the hive channel completely. Honestly, I personally enjoy selling out my fellow lings even if it means being stuck in the pen at Xenobio. They arn't team antags so it's fair game! Alternatively you could revamp them but like, that would require work! And code! And we all know how important it is that we do super minor fixes to shit and dumb things like moodlets rather then important game changes!
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #399150

When the freeze is over I'm going to make fire cancel revives, absorbing lings give you a higher point cap in the power menu, and personal hiveminds that only function if you use the "grant hivemind" power on someone.
SpaceInaba
Byond Username: SpaceInaba

Post by SpaceInaba » #399151

time to bust out the epic atmos tech ling murderfuck pneumatic fire cannon I have been teamkilling lings for months I am so ready
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
fuck,
somerandomguy
Byond Username: Astatineguy12

Post by somerandomguy » #399174

ShadowDimentio wrote:
Armhulen wrote:

Wizards are infinitely more fun to fight than lings because wizards, while strong as hell, are the loudest antag we have and is pretty much outed the moment they step on the station. Lings meanwhile are roughly as good as wizards, there's 2-5 of them in a round, AND they're practically undetectable.
Idea: replace lings with wizards (yes, multiple. probably not mixed with traitors because that would be even more of a shitfest); they're more fun both to play as and to fight.
Togopal
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Togopal

Post by Togopal » #399176

somerandomguy wrote: Idea: replace lings with wizards (yes, multiple. probably not mixed with traitors because that would be even more of a shitfest); they're more fun both to play as and to fight.
This was had as a gamemode once, it really isnt fun. Wizards are very powerful alone but obnoxiously strong when there was more than one

oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #399632

the return of raging magin
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #399753

Kor wrote:When the freeze is over I'm going to make fire cancel revives, absorbing lings give you a higher point cap in the power menu, and personal hiveminds that only function if you use the "grant hivemind" power on someone.
Latter two sound great, but fully canceling a revive with just a little fire seems excessive. Just nerf the ability to what it used to be (90 seconds I think)
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #399778

Yeah, tripling (or doubling or whatever) the revive time and halving chem regen rate while on fire would be better IMO since the chem regen hit would also be effective against not-dead lings.
Spoiler:
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #400084

>be AI
>ling EMP's in the teleporter room
>50% hp gone
>disabled forever

good design
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #400283

Ling should be a progression based side antag.

/thread
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #400285

CPTANT wrote:Ling should be a progression based side antag.

/thread
why
this side antag meme is getting out of hand
why not just antag antag
Spoiler:
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #400296

PKPenguin321 wrote:
CPTANT wrote:Ling should be a progression based side antag.

/thread
why
this side antag meme is getting out of hand
why not just antag antag
Because progression based antags suck as primary antags and lings only make sense as a progression based role.

Also "side" antag doesn't mean they shouldn't be a threat, a ling that has absorbed enough DNA should be able to fuck up the station royally.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #400315

Side antags are great and we should have more of them, they bring variety to the round
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #400338

No they don't.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #400339

Lumbermancer wrote:No they don't.
"Found a traitor now I know what every other antagonist in the round is and will have"
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #400382

I love me some side antags, but right now we have fewer main antags than ever with the newest one being made in 2010. If anything, I'd want to see 2-3 new main antags.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #400384

"I found a traitor, now I know there's traitors. Now I found a revenant, so now I know there's also a revenant".

Except traitor is integral to the round, while side-antag exist only to perpetuate itself and ruin your experience.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #400386

Lumbermancer wrote:"I found a traitor, now I know there's traitors. Now I found a revenant, so now I know there's also a revenant".

Except traitor is integral to the round, while side-antag exist only to perpetuate itself and ruin your experience.
But every antag is out there to shoot,bomb,absorb or convert you.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #400388

No, not me. Just their target. The fact that murdeboner and murderbomber exists is a player issue. Meanwhile side-antags destroy everything by design.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #400390

If you give someone a bunch of cool toys and free valids, they will go on killing sprees. There is no way to stop it without royally pissing off at least 2/3 of the playerbase. We have to accept it and move on.
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #400421

Armhulen wrote:
"Found a traitor now I know what every other antagonist in the round is and will have"
thats something that was supposed to be solved by datum antags I thought, as you could functionally have any antag during any round with them
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #400422

Dr_bee wrote:
Armhulen wrote:
thats something that was supposed to be solved by datum antags I thought, as you could functionally have any antag during any round with them
we have datum antags now, we just need to have changelings and traitors have a low chance of happening in every round too
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #400423

Armhulen wrote:
Dr_bee wrote:
Armhulen wrote:
we have datum antags now, we just need to have changelings and traitors have a low chance of happening in every round too
OR SOMETHING! Doesn't have to be crazy!
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #400430

stop adding baddies to the mix if you’re not going to touch primary antags who are scaled to be the sole antag of the round!!!
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #400431

Cobby wrote:stop adding baddies to the mix if you’re not going to touch primary antags who are scaled to be the sole antag of the round!!!
ideally we'd have a gamemode that mixes a bunch of side antags roundstart as the game mode instead of traitor and changeling, so nuke ops can stay away from traitors revolvering the cap and nuking immediately